Upcoming Patch Details Released!!!

After downloading the patch I agree with most of the positive things people have said about the game,It's a definite improvement.One thing I hav'nt found though is the pressure people are finding now.This could be because I removed all the default gaming options of the teams in my league.The computer still plays a very decent game but without the pressure fest.
Also my wingers can really attack the full back and get some really dangerous whipped in balls to the forwards.Loving this game.

Some bad things too. I'm definitely not keen on this massively increased pressure. Pre-patch the pressing was probably a bit loose (most obviously on the wing, where it was non-existent), but as usual Konami have gone too far the other way, and now it's slightly over the top. As soon as you start to move with the ball, three or even four opposition defenders swarm in on you, bump you off the ball and stroll away with it (while you do that hateful stumbling animation). Out on the wing, those lovely "bullfighter"-style standing-still one-on-ones are very, very much a thing of the past. It's pretty frustrating - it makes the game a LOT harder, but not always in a good way.

This reminds me of when I first got FIFA 11 and I was messing around with custom tactics, trying to turn down the pressure of cpu controlled teams. One thing I found was that if you turn down the aggression stat too far, CPU defenders will pretty much allow you to dribble unchallenged all the way to their own penalty box. I even commented on the FIFA forums that doing so reminded me of PES's sideline "bug."

Anyways, it feels like with the patch Konami have turned up their equivalent to FIFA's aggression stat for team tactics. Despite the negative reactions to the increased pressure, I think it's probably too soon to say whether this is or isn't an improvement, and I'll say that after a while I became perfectly accustomed to the default pressure in FIFA to the point that it is no longer an issue for me. Hopefully the same will happen with PES and I'm hopeful that it will for all of us after enough time to adjust.

(for those who are noticing improved reaction times, would you please give examples? I'm not sure that I'm seeing this and I don't remember Konami mentioning any changes that would relate to reaction times , so I'm curious to know what you're seeing that I'm not.)

Even if the pressure level has been upped to Fifa standards post-patch (I don't think it's quite that bad) the thing that PES does much, much better is allow the player on the ball to evade defenders and retain possession more effectively. That's the key difference between the two titles in my opinion.

this is a patch that really improved the game

today i played ml non stop three hours
the good thing about the game post patch is the perfect balance they reached between

attacking and defending situations
shooting is really improved, now the ball goes floaty only if shooter is pressed by defenders
there are no more cheap bug to exploit offline
and the most important thing is AI cpu is more aggressive, not passive, leading to exciting matches even when a match ends 0-0

really good from Konami

the things they should improve now with one more patch are referees, advantage rule and goalkeepèers

Just seems ridiculous to release a game where you can set the opposition level of pressing, from "no pressure" to "insane pressure" - then introduce a massive hike in pressure across the board. Same as it's ridiculous to release a game with five speeds, including two that are unrealistically fast, then increase the speed universally in a patch. Makes no sense at all. It's not so extreme as to be disastrous, but it's an unpleasant nudge back towards the arcade, and not what this game needed.

I do really like the way the AI attacks you now, though.

Even if the pressure level has been upped to Fifa standards post-patch (I don't think it's quite that bad) the thing that PES does much, much better is allow the player on the ball to evade defenders and retain possession more effectively. That's the key difference between the two titles in my opinion.

As usual Jamez, you nailed that. Spot on.

You know, i thought this at first too but after extended playtime with both titles I'm not so sure i agree anymore. Just like with the pressure in FIFA 11, eventually my opinion changed and now i think fifa does just as good a job if not a better job than PES in this area, basically because FIFA provides a few additional tools for dribbling that PES has no equivalent.

One is the shield button which is one of the features i miss the most in PES. Another is the free move button combo (l2 + r2) which allows for a lateral move, popular IRL among more skillful midfielders in particular, that PES again has nothing quite the same. Another is the freedom of the knock on stick and by extension the bridge move, which again is lacking in PES (in PES you don't have the same freedom of direction or accuracy with your knock on while dribbling). Last that i can think of off the top of my head, and one of the best additions to FIFA, is analog sprint, which can be a wonderful tool when used correctly.

Where FIFA completely fails is allowing defensive players to move unrealistically, have overly effective tackling animations, and an exaggerated and unrealistic system of physical interaction. (For me, the differences in physical interactions - PES is under-physical; FIFA is overly-physical - is the biggest difference between the two titles.) But when it comes to dealing with highly aggressive defenses, FIFA I think actually provides more than sufficient tools, especially with the shield button, and I'm not so sure PES has the advantage it once did in this area. If it wasn't for FIFA's overpowered defensive game and unbalanced physicality engine, I imagine fifa would have the edge in dribbling for sure because of all these extra tools that PES has no counter for.

You know, i thought this at first too but after extended playtime with both titles I'm not so sure i agree anymore. Just like with the pressure in FIFA 11, eventually my opinion changed and now i think fifa does just as good a job if not a better job than PES in this area, basically because FIFA provides a few additional tools for dribbling that PES has no equivalent.

One is the shield button which is one of the features i miss the most in PES. Another is the free move button combo (l2 + r2) which allows for a lateral move, popular IRL among more skillful midfielders in particular, that PES again has nothing quite the same. Another is the freedom of the knock on stick and by extension the bridge move, which again is lacking in PES (in PES you don't have the same freedom of direction or accuracy with your knock on while dribbling). Last that i can think of off the top of my head, and one of the best additions to FIFA, is analog sprint, which can be a wonderful tool when used correctly.

Where FIFA completely fails is allowing defensive players to move unrealistically, have overly effective tackling animations, and an exaggerated and unrealistic system of physical interaction. (For me, the differences in physical interactions - PES is under-physical; FIFA is overly-physical - is the biggest difference between the two titles.) But when it comes to dealing with highly aggressive defenses, FIFA I think actually provides more than sufficient tools, especially with the shield button, and I'm not so sure PES has the advantage it once did in this area. If it wasn't for FIFA's overpowered defensive game and unbalanced physicality engine, I imagine fifa would have the edge in dribbling for sure because of all these extra tools that PES has no counter for.

Nah, I totally disagree. What PES has in it's favour is it simplicity when in possession of the ball. The left stick and good timing are your friends. Fifa tries to over-complicate matters, which only adds to what is a ponderous dribbling experience.

Put simply, all the additional dribbling 'tools' Fifa offers are deemed null and void by what is, in my opinion, the broken physicality system in the game. You say PES is under-physical, I say PES is nicely balanced in that respect. Watch real life football and it's clear PES is closer to mimicking the physicality of the real game (animations aside) rather than the continual swatting of players off the ball that we see in Fifa.

Well we'll just have to agree to disagree. Though i wasn't trying to imply that i consider FIFA to be better balanced than PES, quite the contrary. If you've read any of my posts on the other side of the forums, you would know I consider FIFA's gameplay to be almost ruined by its over emphasis on physical play and unrealistic animations.

Still, I don't think there's anything to be gained by ignoring some of FIFA's better features, and considering how important using your body to protect possessioin is to the real world sport, I do think FIFA's shield button is a strength. Out of all the features in FIFA it is the one I find myself missing the most playing PES - better use of my player's body to safeguard possession. I also don't see how analog sprint should be considered null and void when in the end it is a better representation of real world movement than the previous system of having only a single running speed. And the free move lateral movement skill is just another example of mimicking a common skill in the real game, a move we see Xavi make week in and week out but we cannot replicate in PES. FIFA is all sorts of messed up but that doesn't mean some of these features wouldn't be welcome in PES.

When I'm saying PES is under physical i am not saying bodies need to be flying all over the place like in FIFA, rather in pes players will bounce off each other unrealistically - only rarely do players react as they should when a player is within jostling distance. There are times when you can have multiple players in close distance to each other but they do not react to each other. PES in general has issues with players not responding on time, accurately, or at all to their surroundings or circumstances. Instead of having a next gen physicality engine for player interactions, PES is still using the old invisible bubble system. It gets the job done, it's well balanced overall, but it has its moments of total failure and certainly doesnt look realistic.

So I'm not wanting Konami to change into a more rugby-fifa-like experience or mess with the overall balance of gameplay, which is one of the game's biggest strengths, but merely upgrade its engine responsible for collisions and player interactions so that it is up to par with FIFA and other current gen sports titles. Some of this has to do with adding more animations, but there are also problems with the collision and reaction systems that need to be fixed. Physical play is an integral part of football but while one of the great leaps forward in sports titles on the current gen systems is to more accurately portray player likeness, movement, and interactions, PES remains substandard in this area.

Konamis update sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well after konamis update i cant perform correct some dribbles
such us the Rainbow Flick!Could someone make a patch that fixes the performings of the dribbles?

Re: Konamis update sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont need it for online gaming!I am just playing with my friends and this dribble has fun!

Post patch, even with the added pressure, I'm seeing one thing more often than before. It was very common in PES 2010, when you receive the ball around midfield, that you could rush forward and the opponents would simply back off, leading to a good shooting chance close to the box. This was almost completely gone but now I am seeing it again. Anyone else experienced this?

such us the Rainbow Flick!Could someone make a patch that fixes the performings of the dribbles?
That's a good thing... the rainbow flick was the most unrealistic part of PES and is very rarely attempted in real football so I'm glad it's now useless in the game.

If you really want to keep using them then you can delete the patch (if you're on PS3/360) or re-install the game and not apply the patch (if you're on PC).

Okay, so I decided to cancel the trade-in based on the positive comments people have had to say, in particular about the defending. My biggest concern, though is the competition system in MLO - has it been revamped in any way to stamp out the cheats?

Haha... if I would not know a friend of mine has the US version, I would say is him LOL

I would literally punch someone if they were in the same room as me and tried the rainbow flick.

Just seems ridiculous to release a game where you can set the opposition level of pressing, from "no pressure" to "insane pressure" - then introduce a massive hike in pressure across the board. Same as it's ridiculous to release a game with five speeds, including two that are unrealistically fast, then increase the speed universally in a patch. Makes no sense at all. It's not so extreme as to be disastrous, but it's an unpleasant nudge back towards the arcade, and not what this game needed.

I do really like the way the AI attacks you now, though.

Just wanted to say that I really appreciate reading your well argued and structured posts!

And also to share something that I've discovered with regards to difficulty/pressure at Top Player diff. I play almost exclusively nothing but friendlies, and post patch (dont know what the situation was before 1.02) the "Exhibition" match is much harder, more frantic, has more aggressive pressure from the AI, more "rubber band catching up" AI cheating than the Champions League one off match against the CPU. I played the same teams on several different occasions and always came to the same conclusion. CL "friendly/exhibition" lets you sprint with double tap of R1 with defenders almost not catching up- especially when doing so with faster players and down the wings (try MU vs Rangers in both- the diff is obvious).

This reduced AI cheating in closing down also leads to having more time for taking that extra touch before finishing etc... I play on PC though, but maybe its the same on all versions?

Of course that doesnt help much the ML players, but... at least there is a way:)

Hey guys - sorry if this has been answered already - I'm only new to the forum here. I answered this in a different thread also.

Regarding "shielding" the ball like you can on FIFA, I found the other day on PES that if I held the special control button/controlled shot modifier (default RB or R1) that my player stood and shielded the ball like they do on FIFA but it worked really effectively. Bought me a few seconds and I was able to turn back towards goal and get a shot off.
FIFA has made this less effective now than it used to be but I'm hoping my discovery on PES means I can use it close to goal and help when I need to hold the ball up and bring another person into play or just try to drag back and skin the defender. Try it out and let me know if it you can do it consistently and in various parts of the pitch.
p.s. I was not holding down any direction, just the special control button. Not sure if its context specific either...maybe it wont shield unless a player is next to you?

Hey guys - sorry if this has been answered already - I'm only new to the forum here. I answered this in a different thread also.

Regarding "shielding" the ball like you can on FIFA, I found the other day on PES that if I held the special control button/controlled shot modifier (default RB or R1) that my player stood and shielded the ball like they do on FIFA but it worked really effectively. Bought me a few seconds and I was able to turn back towards goal and get a shot off.
FIFA has made this less effective now than it used to be but I'm hoping my discovery on PES means I can use it close to goal and help when I need to hold the ball up and bring another person into play or just try to drag back and skin the defender. Try it out and let me know if it you can do it consistently and in various parts of the pitch.
p.s. I was not holding down any direction, just the special control button. Not sure if its context specific either...maybe it wont shield unless a player is next to you?

Holding L2?

I have re-mapped special control to L2 (LT). So yeah for me I was holding L2 (LT). But for original configuration, it would be the R2 / RT button, not the manual passing modifier.

I have re-mapped special control to L2 (LT). So yeah for me I was holding L2 (LT). But for original configuration, it would be the R2 / RT button, not the manual passing modifier.

Never been able to shield with R2. You might be able to turn away while maintaining control but not a true shielding move I don't think. It would buy you some time though.

I will try it out again but from memory my player stepped on the ball with his back to the defender (who couldn't get my player off the ball, nor get a foot in to win the ball) so it looked like he was shielding it :)

Someone notices that the AI is much less good on Topplayer??
Last night I won the classic AC Milan vs Inter two times with 2 and 3-0. Inter didn't almost had a chance. What do you all think??

The patch is better when you play with friends

Cheers

I will try it out again but from memory my player stepped on the ball with his back to the defender (who couldn't get my player off the ball, nor get a foot in to win the ball) so it looked like he was shielding it :)

I know exactly what you're talking about although I have no idea how to replicate it. But yes, there are certain times, usually when I'm going after a 50-50, that my player will step in front of an opposing player and clearly shield the ball. However I have not been able to replicate this move when I want to, which is rather annoying because that shielding animation is quite effective and would be an awesome tool to have at your disposal.

I know exactly what you're talking about although I have no idea how to replicate it. But yes, there are certain times, usually when I'm going after a 50-50, that my player will step in front of an opposing player and clearly shield the ball. However I have not been able to replicate this move when I want to, which is rather annoying because that shielding animation is quite effective and would be an awesome tool to have at your disposal.

Yeah it would be fantastic...I'll keep trying to find a way to make it happen more deliberately...if possible.

Back
Top Bottom