Upcoming Patch Details Released!!!

It's nothing more than a bed/bug-ridden joke in its current form. I don't know of any other game that openly allows cheating and does nothing about it, even after its producers admit these, and I'm tired of these gloryhunters who destroy the online experience both in MLO and normal matches.

Plus, one of the main reasons I got the game was for the Japan players, but they haven't even updated them or included their best player at the moment, Shinji Kagawa, who probably won't ever be included into any patch, and their strange choice of not including the J. League in the game even though they have the exclusive license. I'll just wait to see how they do in PES 2012, but if the emotionless, braindead defenders return I'm not sure.

Konami have J League only licensed to Winning Eleven, I think there are restrictions which is why they can't have it in the PES title.

As for cheaters, there are cheaters across most, if not all games online, sad but true, and little can be done about it. I should know I play other online games and there are cheaters all over the place, and the companies update their cheat detecting software to detect hacks and less than 24 hours later there are updated cheats that become undetectable :/

The solution if you want to play online properly is join a league like PEEL (see Jimmy G-Force's sig), unfortunately MLO is a cheater ridden mess, let's hope they will fix it, there are still 10 months or so left of this game, in that time I'm hopeful that Konami will do some work on improving things further.

Last edited:
Konami have J League only licensed to Winning Eleven, I think there are restrictions which is why they can't have it in the PES title.
That is untrue; the J. League isn't even included in the Japanese or Asian versions of the game, and no, it actually isn't restricted to the name of the franchise; even SEGA have released games which included the J. League (refer to the J. League wo Tsukurou series). Jon Murphy, who is the head UK producer for PES, has stated that they know they can always include the J. League at any moment and they're "considering" adding it in future games. The only reason they have NOT done so yet is probably because they still insist on selling the PS2 J. League iterations and making a profit off it (even though it never sells, because really, who still plays on PS2?).
As for cheaters, there are cheaters across most, if not all games online, sad but true, and little can be done about it. I should know I play other online games and there are cheaters all over the place, and the companies update their cheat detecting software to detect hacks and less than 24 hours later there are updated cheats that become undetectable :/

The solution if you want to play online properly is join a league like PEEL (see Jimmy G-Force's sig), unfortunately MLO is a cheater ridden mess, let's hope they will fix it, there are still 10 months or so left of this game, in that time I'm hopeful that Konami will do some work on improving things further.
While it's true that there are cheaters everywhere, I don't think an entire competition structure has been abused the way it has in MLO; that is really my main concern. And why not make it more like the actual ML after which it's named? It's a pointless grind in its current form.

That is untrue; the J. League isn't even included in the Japanese or Asian versions of the game, and no, it actually isn't restricted to the name of the franchise; even SEGA have released games which included the J. League (refer to the J. League wo Tsukurou series). Jon Murphy, who is the head UK producer for PES, has stated that they know they can always include the J. League at any moment and they're "considering" adding it in future games. The only reason they have NOT done so yet is probably because they still insist on selling the PS2 J. League iterations and making a profit off it (even though it never sells, because really, who still plays on PS2?).

While it's true that there are cheaters everywhere, I don't think an entire competition structure has been abused the way it has in MLO; that is really my main concern. And why not make it more like the actual ML after which it's named? It's a pointless grind in its current form.

Not true,right now in Japan the most popular console is still PS2 :)

A cynic's take:

The update (...) adjusts the defender AI to allow for more consistent pressing from various situations

...such as all over the pitch, all the time. As well as ruining the game, this cures the green zone bug.

Cursor switching has been generally been improved

...well, it's been changed, anyway.

Shooting has also be tweaked to produce more realistic reactions and results depending on real-time situations.

"Realistic" = "laughably easy"

Some chants within the game have also been refined or changed

"Some" = "one". "One" = "That Man United chant with swearing in it which somehow slipped through undetected."

Seriously, I hope this patch takes PES2011 to new heights, and if it delivers on these promises PROPERLY then the game will be unbelievable. I'm just... I dunno, I'm a long-time PES player and therefore I'm slightly dubious about Konami's after-sales service (and conscious that they often respond to "fan opinion" by listening only to the 12-year-olds who find the game too hard or too slow). I'm being deliberately cynical about this now so that hopefully I won't be disappointed. Reckon I'll keep my PS3 offline for a few days though, until I've read a good selection of opinions on here... if the guys I trust on Evo-Web give the thumbs up, only then will I download.

I'm also slightly worried, considering how many of these "bugs" are actually balancing tricks put in by Konami to balance out AI issues, that if the problems are patched out of the game without the AI being improved in any way, Top Player might become so easy that it would basically be pointless playing the computer with anyone other than the worst team in the game.

Last edited:
Really excited about this, but somehow I fear, in some way like Pere Ubu here, that they have taken things too far in the opposite direction, as they seem to do sometimes. Crossing the ball will probably be impossible with the new patch :D with three opponents tackling you to death each time you enter "the green zone"

I like the current shooting system, I really hope they didn't tweak it too much. Player positioning and distance of the ball to the feet should still be the determining factor of the height, power and accuracy of a shot.

IMO they only need to tone down the scissors kick, perhaps allowing only players with a certain level of technique to execute it.

Isslander - Yeah, I'm terrified we'll lose those lovely one-on-ones out wide where you can actually stop the ball dead, with the full back standing off you, and do a bit of the old Stanley Matthews. This is the first computer game ever where you can do that, even though the green zone thing makes it kind of pointless in the end...

If they leave that in, but make it so the full back actually tries to tackle you once you go, then fantastic. Wonderful. I'm just a bit concerned that it'll be more like Isslander's nightmare vision.

I like the current shooting system, I really hope they didn't tweak it too much. Player positioning and distance of the ball to the feet should still be the determining factor of the height, power and accuracy of a shot.

Take a look at the (mostly lame) forums which Konami are known to look at. There are millions of threads there started by kids frustrated that they can't just mash the shoot button, saying things like "OMG what a joke Konami u hv RUINED the game wtf is dis shooting systum LOL i prssd shoot 193 times while waitin 4 de cross an da ball still shot over de bar!!!!!!!!!! Konami = FAIL"

Last edited:
Isslander - "OMG what a joke Konami u hv RUINED the game wtf is dis shooting systum LOL i prssd shoot 193 times while waitin 4 de cross an da ball still shot over de bar!!!!!!!!!! Konami = FAIL"

LOL!!!!!!!!!!! This is so bang on the money.

Just a small add-on: When it's possible to play with created shirts and club badges online Konami should also make it so that edited appearences like tucked/untucked shirts, hairstyles etc. is visible. Couldn’t be that complicated or time-consuming one should think..

Will you have to download this patch in the extra content section or will this automatically be applied once you start the game if you are online? Hate to download a focked up patch and be stuck with it.

Take a look at the (mostly lame) forums which Konami are known to look at. There are millions of threads there started by kids frustrated that they can't just mash the shoot button, saying things like "OMG what a joke Konami u hv RUINED the game wtf is dis shooting systum LOL i prssd shoot 193 times while waitin 4 de cross an da ball still shot over de bar!!!!!!!!!! Konami = FAIL"

I'd like to think that since KONAMI stated specifically that they wanted to bring the hardcore fans back(those who migrated to FIFA over the last 3 years), I'd trust their judgement on this one. I think shooting can still be improved, although the principle like I mentioned should stay the same.

I think everyone is treating this whole thing with cautious optimism. I'm actually quite astounded that they are really doing this, because it's not like the game has been broken or harshly judged (except from the usual suspects). Apart maybe from online where I am lucky enough not to really care about that aspect. But Konami seem ro really mean business this time, no doubt online will be next on the agenda.

Does this fix the MLO disconnect/cheating that happens online and the plainly insipid competition system? If not, I shall rest happy in my decision to trade-in the game. It is amazing that they can't even release a minor fix for this issue.

Um... I'm pretty sure Jon Murphy has referred to this in Twitter. It is not supposed to be coming in this patch, but they are looking into it, and perpetrators will be shot... I mean, dealt with!

That's an update to the online infrastructure, I doubt that it will require a software update on our end.

I'm pretty confident this patch will be highly beneficial. It marks a new era for PES, and it's announcement alone is testament to Konami's obvious new found commitment. For me personally, Konami got so much right with PES this year, I feel the patch is merely cleaning up some of the loose ends. In days gone by, these loose ends would not be tied up until PES 2012, so this is massive step in the right direction on all levels. The patch isnt going to make PES perfect, but then again, nothing is, or will ever be. Understand this, and every issue this patch resolves can be welcomed in a much brighter positive light. I'll be honest, I cant wait until tomorrow to put this patch through its paces.

Ditto!

P.S. - Just read about your Senegal PEEL misadventure, Jimmy. Sorry to hear about it!

Well, i hope the player switching does improve. It's the biggest game killer for me. Switching off player names, again, i'm glad they've seen the error of their ways. Glad to hear it works in ML saves.

I hated the floating player names at first, but now I'm totally used to them. I like to know in an instant which player is near the ball, and in that respect they're better than the old nameplate at the bottom of the screen (because you don't have to move your eyeline for a split second). Sure they look fugly, but I reckon I'll be keeping them now, which I never would have believed when the game first came out.

I hated the floating player names at first, but now I'm totally used to them. I like to know in an instant which player is near the ball, and in that respect they're better than the old nameplate at the bottom of the screen (because you don't have to move your eyeline for a split second). Sure they look fugly, but I reckon I'll be keeping them now, which I never would have believed when the game first came out.

I couldnt agree more. Even the thought of having names above a players head prior to the release would have been enough to make my toes curl and blood boil.

Same here, I was infuriated at first but now I only notice them when I need to. Any confirmation about the patch working with existing ML saves?

I like the crossing, I can usually play the ball where and how I want it with skilled crossers, but one issue that I have is that players with a high "Long Pass Speed" attribute whip the ball in with pace most times no matter what you do, even if you use the R2 lofted cross.

I always thought that the long pass speed represented the speed at which your player will hit the pass rather than the pace at which the ball moves. I am pretty sure in certain situations players with a low number will take longer to hit the pass after the button is pressed.

What are other peoples views on what the stat effects?

Also with regards to long passing stats, does long pass mean lofted balls(I always assumed this) or just passes that are hit certain lengths? I had a winger called Rebecchi in PES5 who had good long pass stats but terrible short pass ones. Every time I hit a pass along the floor that was not straight forward, unless he was on a red arrow, it would miss its target. I never had any trouble with his airborn balls though.

I'm certain it's to do with the pace the player puts on their crosses/lofted passes rather than their response to your button press - Vargas for Fiorentina has a very high long pass speed attribute but feels no more responsive to my pressing of B to cross than De Silvestri, but Vargas' crosses are put in with much more pace - this is usually a good thing but sometimes when you want to put more elevation on the ball to give players time to get under it then it is frustrating when Heskey is better at this than a world class crosser.

I think "short pass" attributes are actually ground pass related and "long pass" ones related to lofted passes. The shot power attribute seems to affect clearance distance as well as actual shot power, check out the kicking of keepers with 90+ shot power compared to those with it in the 70s - I think Julio Cesar kicked the ball all the way to my keeper without it bouncing once!

I'm certain it's to do with the pace the player puts on their crosses/lofted passes rather than their response to your button press - Vargas for Fiorentina has a very high long pass speed attribute but feels no more responsive to my pressing of B to cross than De Silvestri, but Vargas' crosses are put in with much more pace - this is usually a good thing but sometimes when you want to put more elevation on the ball to give players time to get under it then it is frustrating when Heskey is better at this than a world class crosser.

I think "short pass" attributes are actually ground pass related and "long pass" ones related to lofted passes. The shot power attribute seems to affect clearance distance as well as actual shot power, check out the kicking of keepers with 90+ shot power compared to those with it in the 70s - I think Julio Cesar kicked the ball all the way to my keeper without it bouncing once!

Take this as gospel, I do. Great post as usual Robert. :)

Last edited:
Any chance this patch will be released around midnight? first major patch I have downloaded so was wondering what time they usually become available.

OK this will change the way I look at players then. So there are times when I want to hit a pass to a player some distance away and the ball gets hit at a poor pace leaving it open for interception, if the player has a high pass speed passes like this will be hit with greater power and will have a better chance of reaching their target, is this right?

I do think though that some players will not hit a certain pass as quickly as others, nobody else think this?

Last edited:
I'd like to think that since KONAMI stated specifically that they wanted to bring the hardcore fans back(those who migrated to FIFA over the last 3 years), I'd trust their judgement on this one. I think shooting can still be improved, although the principle like I mentioned should stay the same.

Yeah it's strange, this is the first year that the majority have found the game playable since 2007, maybe they found the versions in between were a lost cause and instead focused on developing the next version rather than patch the current?

I read someone on another forum interpret Long/Short Pass Speed as the ability of the player to select the correct weight of a pass, i.e. players with a low Pass Speed value would both overhit and underhit passes. Not sure how true that is mind, it'd be more logical but I reckon it's probably implemented the way you described. Also, just incase you didn't know, a tap of R2 after crossing will give more elevation.

Last part reminds me of doing stat editing for FIFA 11 in the summer, I'd say the majority of editors on there didn't understand the implementation of the Long Pass vs Short Pass stats. Most just presumed that it was entirely based on distance rather than lofted (Long) and grounded (Short) passes. Morons.

"They added new cursor effects,bringing significant improves when the ball crosses players and also when values estimated by the Master League are remade.Other options are: hidding the names of players ,the speed of play will be increased and also the songs for smaller teams will be better than before."
http://www.myhotnews.net/1768/new-dlc-for-pes-2011-pc-xbox-360-and-ps3/

Not sure how reliable this site is but that scares me a little

It scares me too, I have just spent quite a bit of time re-balancing the game after dropping the passing speed of some of the bigger teams.

After a lot of work, I am just about as happy as I could be with the game play on a lot of teams and this patch scares me as well as makes me think it could sort out a few problems

Does anyone know if you can download the current patch and DLC that is out now, so that we can revert to it if this patch ruins things?

Back
Top Bottom