UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread

Re: UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread (Last 8)

FORZA MILAN !!!!well done!!!!!!!!!!aaa:applause: :applause:

Big mistake by Lyon was to defend.

dunno what to say right now but to scream in joy..... i really didnt want Lyon to go out now.

MOTM - Lyon = Diarra, Milan = Inzaghi

Milan always seem to dig out the result but like last season they just didn't deserve to win. Have to feel sorry for Lyon, they were the better team but against Milan you cannot make those mistakes and expect to survive.

Well best team of Europe in my opinion (although it could be Barca could be not) just got knocked out of Europe!! :roll:

Houllier made some mistakes again. First of all if Reveillere was fit to go he should've been in instead of the hardworking and talented Clerc due to superior experience/calm head and more CL matches under his belt.

And EVEN if you don't want to start him cuz he's not fit enough, when he came on he could've put Reveillere as right back and Clerc as right midfielder who always has urge to go up and overall I'd much rather have a nervous/not calm player in midfield than in defence where one mistake will screw you like it did here.

It's a cruel game football sometimes and there's not much between the two sides despite the scoreline. Milan played well and best of luck to them but Cris and Cacapa were great in the air all night, heading everyball but this is the beauty of football at the HIGHEST level where one moment of lapse of concentration will cost you and that is when Cacapa missed that header on that long ball and Abidal thinking Cacapa was gonna get it was nowhere near Sheva either whose shot was great even though it didn't go directly in.

Finally about Carew and Fred. Neither are at their best and it's obvious to see in recent weeks but in first leg Carew started and was very ineffecitive/did nothing until brought off and Fred was more productive in his 20 mins than Carew. So that meant in 2nd leg Fred should start and he did and although not much again he was far better than ineffective giant up there who will only commit BS fouls when you're DOWN a goal and don't have time. So he committs a useless foul on Kaladze when he didn't really need to and wastes 2 mins of Lyon's time by goalie coming up, taking his time to kick ball and etc.

That substitution was a bit of a mistake as Carew might be taller but he wins less headers anyway. If you look at both legs and see how many aerial challenges were there, Fred won more knock downs off Coupet's shots or goalkicks than Carew did (he won one I think where it was too slow to trouble the keeper).

In anycase Lyon will feel hard done because they weren't just aiming this year for Ligue 1 title but clearly for CL success so you can hardly call them a surprise as they were among favs for me anyway since August and god knows they could've won whole thing if they can just get past Q-finals but for 2nd year, they get knocked out when they really deserve much more!

Oh well.. let's see what Jean-Michel Aulas (chairman) does so now because he's not a man to be happy just winning Ligue 1 titles and was dreaming in August about seeing Lyon play in CL final in France at end of season.

Last edited:

I dont think Clerc played bad games over the both legs, he was good at making his runs but I think his biggest flaw was composure when he reached MIlan's box. I agree with Carew being ineffective and giving away stupid fouls even when hes bigger than everyone else and stronger too.

He didn't play bad over the two legs, in fact he's been a revelation this season cuz before this one nobody knew Lyon have good back up for Reveillere but in matches he has played this season he's shown they do and maybe he can even compete with him for RB position.

BUT in both legs of this match, his inexperience, intention to get forward too much and Milan's danger down left hand side was obvious both through first leg and this one and although he did good in both. He could've done better when defending or get more help from team-mates down that side which is why I said Houllier needs to get more help from him down that side or tell him to attack less cause Milan's biggest threat to Lyon seemed to be coming from left whether when Kaka dropped there or with Serginho making great runs and that was evident.

Even on occassions when Milan didn't score, the trouble was coming from left hand side (right side of Lyon's defence) like that great run by Serginho or the one-two with Kaka and shot.

So he's done well overall through course of season, surprised many and is a good talented player but Lyon could've used Reveillere and his bigger experience/cooler head through both legs especially this one cuz I doubt he would've made that pass back which killed game.

Last edited:

Carew is a crappy player. Lyon needs Sonny Anderson or a Pauleta in order to progress. Without a complete forward, there's no chance next year...

Milan was great because they forced Lyon to accumulate mistakes. That's all.

Fred can become a Pauleta or Sonny Anderson eventually, he just needs more regular playing time. The guy has a lot of potential, he can be better than them and a regular for Brazil sometime in future. He just put on a bit too much weight since he came from Cruzeiro which has made him lose some of his shaprness/agility/speed in my opinion. This guy can become great though even though he hasn't done anything to prove it lately, anybody who watched him regularly in Cruzeiro knows what I'm talking about. He can become a very special player!

Carew isn't crap either but yeah not good enough for Lyon's first team if they truly want to become best in Europe. He's sloppy.. and although has some magic moments for most parts isn't consistent, makes bad decisions like that foul, isn't a natural goal-getter and loses his balance MANY times.

Anybody notice how many times he almost fell over or slipped during both legs? While no other player had much trouble.

Anyways at the end of the day Milan played a good game and it all comes down to the DRAW of Q-finals!

When they got Milan, that was worst team they could've. When you play against those stars who've been doing this for many years and are sooooooooo experienced and against team like Milan, even when it looks like they're down and out, they're not and can come back.

Lyon vs. Milan and then you have Inter vs. Villarreal .. draws are a bit shitty but nothing can be done. I would've liked to see Lyon against any other team though whether Inter, Villrreal, Benfica, or against Arsenal everyone raves about to see what Gilberto and Fabregas can do against M. Diarra!!! who was great again tonight or Juninho and Tiago. I even would've prefferd to get Barca instead of Milan. In anycase let's see who Milan will face now! :)

And Lyon will go home and have a lot of thinking to do. I kinda felt sorry for Clerc too who had worked so hard and looked very sad after that mistake. But one man's sadness is another man's pleasure and it was Inzaghi's joy tonight so obvious on his face! :)

Lyon won't be happy and was unlucky somewhat but it was a great game from a neutral's point of view anyway so we can thank both teams for that! :) :applause:

Last edited:

I hpoe ins't the end of Lyon and the team stay like that with few additional players and sell quicly Carew, Govou and Pedretti.

Good to see an intelligent non-jealous French fan here Thomas. lol..(despite you being OM fan). It's easy to see PSG fans like our friend ;) Alain here hating on Lyon anyway :p .. wanting them to do badly and taking pleasure in their losses! ;)

and yeah I don't think this will be the end. They will keep good players again and make some improvements like they did last year. Will get rid of Govou/Pedretti and Carew who are all decent players but not good enough and don't make enough impact aren't top players and will improve squad with better purchases and be back again next year!

At least this is what JMA's amibition seems like whenever they've talked to him in past few years.

Edit: The problem will be Juninho won't be the same next year as he was this season and past few years. He'll still be brilliant but you can already see he has gone past his peak now and is on the slide downhill, will still be awesome but not as great as he once was. So that'll be a problem and why Lyon needed to win something big in these few years and don't have forever.

Last edited:

I'm kinda upset that Lyon, Milan, Benfica and Barca (3 of which are champions of their leagues) were on the same side of the tree.

Benfica or Barca, both scare me. Benfica have proven to be deadly and Barca are Barca... dont have a favourite.

kel said:
but at least Internazionale FC is out.
I found myself shouting and jumping when I heard that Villareal was ahead 1-0.. I was so close to get angry for AC's result.. I thought "How come, Inter FC is quite out and we can't manage to go ahead?"

Then there came SUPERPIPPO again.. I still can't believe it.. WOOOOOOOOOOW!!

:applause: villareal, gracias amigos!!
:applause: olympique lyonnais.. probably the team that imho plays better among the ones that played ACM, both in serie A and CL..

Milanista said:
I'm kinda upset that Lyon, Milan, Benfica and Barca (3 of which are champions of their leagues) were on the same side of the tree.
Yeah that was my main gripe about draw.

The 3 most serious team I could see winning CL from way back were on one side of draw and Benfica of course isn't to be under-estimated either but it's a bit inbalanced these 3 teams on this side and no team I could see winning it on other one but anyway... I can be proven wrong very easily by one of those sides winning CL so we'll see if it was inbalanced like we thought it was or if it wasn't :p

Last edited:

Great result!!!!!!!!

Totally undeserved, but I really had a feeling we would sneak it, and we did :)

We obviously didnt deserve to win, but great teams always can play poorly and win. Unlucky Lyon. Thought Juninho was awesome.

Btw congrats to Shevchenko for becoming the all time Champions League leading scorer! Phenomenal player :applause:

Yes SHeva is GOD!!!!!!!!! Best striker I ever saw MYSELF in my lifetime and not hear about how great he was but actually notice and truly believe in!!!!

Juninho actually wasn't very effective today Adonis, was still good especially with the FK's but had a relatively quiet game by his standards and although he was good, he wasn't his usual-self or make as much impact as he's capable of.

And I would't say the win for Milan was UNDESERVED! I think it was very very close and a pretty even and exciting match and either team could've won it without us saying one got robbed or screwed or it was undeserved. Very close but Lyon will be sad and were a bit unlucky! Houllier made some mistakes like I pointed out !!! :/

Who knows with those minor things I suggested/mentioned even at HT if Houllier had done, how match could've turned out!? Perhaps Lyon would be in Semis now and on road to win CL but now all is different so best of luck and let's see who Milan will face now! :)

Last edited:

I agree with PLF. Diarra impressed me alot, whereas Juninho had patches of great play, and was silent at times.

Well i have to say, even though I don't like him, Inzaghi is one of the best scorer i've seen. 1 ball, 1 goal in almost every game. I respect him a lot. I remember games against Lens several years ago when he was brillant. He is very impressive.

Tomorrow I hope Barca will slaughter the stupid anti-football team Benfica. Then we get a Milan-Barca waaawwww Rijkaard vs his old club.

PLF said:
Yes SHeva is GOD!!!!!!!!! Best striker I ever saw MYSELF in my lifetime and not hear about how great he was but actually notice and truly believe in!!!!

Juninho actually wasn't very effective today Adonis, was still good especially with the FK's but had a relatively quiet game by his standards and although he was good, he wasn't his usual-self or make as much impact as he's capable of.

And I would't say the win for Milan was UNDESERVED! I think it was very very close and a pretty even and exciting match and either team could've won it without us saying one got robbed or screwed or it was undeserved. Very close but Lyon will be sad and were a bit unlucky! Houllier made some mistakes like I pointed out !!! :/

Who knows with those minor things I suggested/mentioned even at HT if Houllier had done, how match could've turned out!? Perhaps Lyon would be in Semis now and on road to win CL but now all is different so best of luck and let's see who Milan will face now! :)

Well the reason why Juninho impressed me was because he never gave the ball away. Everytime he got the ball he did something positive. You're right in saying he was involved in patches, but when he got on the ball he was very good with the use of it.

Well I know Milan kept attacking, I do feel overall Lyon were the deserved winners. They looked very dangerous, until most of the second half. If they carried on the way they started they would of won it.

On a negative note, I was very dissapointed by Milans midfiled. Gattuso was fantastic, but the other 3 didnt turn up for the game. Pirlo was awful. Maybe this was because of the Lyon midfiled playing so well, but at the same time Milan failed to do the simple things right.

Amsterdammer said:
Tomorrow I hope Barca will slaughter the stupid anti-football team Benfica. Then we get a Milan-Barca waaawwww Rijkaard vs his old club.

LMAO... Then the anti-football team is in Elite 8 and your club team? Where is?

We gonna trash Barça! Damm arrogants, they think they're the best team of the world.

Well they are in the best 8 cause they had much luck against ANOTHER anti-football team like Liverpool. I hate so much teams who defend till they die!!!! They are a pest of the beauty of football. The amusement of football is gone. I fall asleep when Liverpool and Chelsea play. I snore when Chelsea plays AGAINST Liverpool.......ZzZzzZZzz

Barca think they are the best team of the world? Well maybe THEY ARE the best team in the world!!! Ever thought about that? Respect to Barca man the only team who dares to attack with beautifull football inspite of their lauzy defense. THEY GOT BALLS!!!!

Last edited:

You all just didn't see it coming. Riquelme alone took a mediocre team with a couple of good but clearly not decisive players (like Gonzalo Rodríguez or Viera) and made it to the semifinals. He's truly one of the best 3 players in the world nowadays.

He commands a whole team in the field and makes his teammates (no matter who ther are) play like champions. In that aspect, he's the undisputed nº1 player in the world. It wouldn't be a surprise if Villareal actually wins the CL, since they have the best player of the tournament and considering that no one makes a team play like Riquelme does.

RIQUELME +10

Get the hell out of here........Riquelme is NOT the best player in the world. But he did play a outstanding game. Materazzi is an *ssh*le!!!! He should've got dubble dubble dubble red!!!

Amsterdammer said:
Get the hell out of here........Riquelme is NOT the best player in the world. But he did play a outstanding game.
Yeah he did. Especially where he took on 4 Inter players and got that shot off, even though it didnt go in.

PLF said:
Good to see an intelligent non-jealous French fan here Thomas. lol..(despite you being OM fan). It's easy to see PSG fans like our friend ;) Alain here hating on Lyon anyway :p .. wanting them to do badly and taking pleasure in their losses! ;).

He mate because i was cheering for milan yesterday i am a jealous and a non-intelligent?EVERY WHERE it is the same in England when chelsea lost against Barca i suppose most of them were happy,the same with inter yesterday,are they non-intelligent and jealous too?

I enjoyed a good game last night and it could have gone both ways. Milan showed great spirit in the end and how quick was Shevchenko for the 3-1? For the neutral fan it was a great game. Like World War II was a great war for the Swiss people. Being neutral is always nice.

Back
Top Bottom