UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread

Re: UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread (Last 8)

Riquelme is excellent in more ways then one...

I was disappointed in Shevchenkos performance though. I always expect him to score in all Champions League games but the Lyon defense had him on lockdown. His touch also looked a bit shaky at times too...

ALAIN said:
He mate because i was cheering for milan yesterday i am a jealous and a non-intelligent?EVERY WHERE it is the same in England when chelsea lost against Barca i suppose most of them were happy,the same with inter yesterday,are they non-intelligent and jealous too?
I was just joking about you Alain since I noticed you're a bit ANTI-Lyon in some other posts, you should know I didn't mean it anyway lol... ;) regarding other thing yeah it's natural to do that but I don't think all Man U/Liverpool/Chelsea fans for example want Arsenal to do bad against Juve anyway.. in fact some don't but some do.. in anycase it's their choice and yeah i suppose they're a bit jealous if they do wish bad on them just cuz they're not there anymore and Arsenal is same way PSG/OM fans can be jealous of Lyon and list goes on and on.

un-intelligent thing mentioned by me was just stupid anyway, having just read over it in your quote now i realized I never really meant to mention that.

Looking forward to both games today. Hope the pitches are good again like in Milan vs. Lyon match! :)

PLF said:
I was just joking about you Alain since I noticed you're a bit ANTI-Lyon in some other posts, you should know I didn't mean it anyway lol... ;) regarding other thing yeah it's natural to do that but I don't think all Man U/Liverpool/Chelsea fans for example want Arsenal to do bad against Juve anyway.. in fact some don't but some do.. in anycase it's their choice and yeah i suppose they're a bit jealous if they do wish bad on them just cuz they're not there anymore and Arsenal is same way PSG/OM fans can be jealous of Lyon and list goes on and on.

un-intelligent thing mentioned by me was just stupid anyway, having just read over it in your quote now i realized I never really meant to mention that.

Looking forward to both games today. Hope the pitches are good again like in Milan vs. Lyon match! :)

it 's ok ;) (thought you were serious) ;) and for Lyon ,they have the same problem as Chelsea
BUY a decent striker "15/20 goals a season"!!
both team their best scorer is a midfielder(lamps,juniho)
play the same way(4-3-3) where being a CF is not really easy
2 legs carew was shit (as drogba was)
yesterday with a decent CF they would have scored at least one more goal
look at Inzaghi two chances=two goals!!and shevchenko was awful but he got one chance =goal

No man if I were serious I wouldn't have said our friend Alain AND put a smilie like this ;)

It was a joke and it was a bad joke.. excuse me :p

In anycase what you say is true and I agree without writing much more about it to emphasize some points as it's late and I'm tired ;)

PLF said:
Fred can become a Pauleta or Sonny Anderson eventually, he just needs more regular playing time. The guy has a lot of potential, he can be better than them and a regular for Brazil sometime in future.

Lyon still own Nilmar right? Because that guy has been hitting some great form since retuning back to Brazil....

Last night just showed great teams play right down to the final whistle, Lyon was defeated by experience and their own tired legs.

Riquelme is one of the best players in the world of his position, it's funny that he was once a Barcelona player.

it's very funny how riquelme got dumped by barcelona for beeing slow, yet how can he be slow when he can get past 2/3/4 defenders by dribbling? ok maybe he doesn't have the flashiest sprint but he must have some heck of an acceleration to do that. well they really didn't need him anyways having ronaldinho, deco or messi... but i think they could have used a backup for ronaldinho.

Amsterdammer said:
Well they are in the best 8 cause they had much luck against ANOTHER anti-football team like Liverpool. I hate so much teams who defend till they die!!!! They are a pest of the beauty of football. The amusement of football is gone. I fall asleep when Liverpool and Chelsea play. I snore when Chelsea plays AGAINST Liverpool.......ZzZzzZZzz

Barca think they are the best team of the world? Well maybe THEY ARE the best team in the world!!! Ever thought about that? Respect to Barca man the only team who dares to attack with beautifull football inspite of their lauzy defense. THEY GOT BALLS!!!!

That's very nice to hear, when was Greece in Euro2004 nobody talked about their coward game, defending all the time and attacking once during the game.

Benfica isn't like that, Benfica plays with his midfield and defense, man-to-man and when recovers the ball, they cheap it or pass it for the wingers (Simão and Geovanni). This isn't anti-football, we don't make too many fouls! We have a great defense e a great counter-attack but we have very good free-kick takers. We probably have the best defensive players and the best fastest players.

P.S.: Venha o Barça...

Last edited:

Adonis said:
On a negative note, I was very dissapointed by Milans midfiled. Gattuso was fantastic, but the other 3 didnt turn up for the game. Pirlo was awful. Maybe this was because of the Lyon midfiled playing so well, but at the same time Milan failed to do the simple things right.

Gattuso and Seedorf were instrumental. Seedorf also set up the first goal, and was a pain for the Lyon team.

lyon got too relax in the last 3 min. of the game,commentators started saying it`s over for milan.

Then,the un thinkable came w/ a shot bouncing post to post whiling goal keeper watching ball, he and the three closer to the ball defenders was hypotizes in a trans sort of speak and it happen.

Never stop til the whistle blows=priceless

Milan w/o adoubt are electrofying to watch8) from a spectator`s view

ALAIN said:
the same with inter yesterday,are they non-intelligent and jealous too?
indeed I'm JEALOUS!!

I'm jealous, because Inter m**an (yes, I'm too ashamed to say "Inter milan") is way funnier to watch than AC Milan..

llok @ them.. they're so funny, aren't they?
clowns.jpg

Couldn't agree more with your avatar Spitfire... :roll:

Benfica! :applause: :applause: :applause:

SPiTFiRE said:
Oh god... fuck you Beto!
I hope Barca win the CL but Koeman's selection of first team baffles me sometimes.

He must be in love with Beto because although he doesn't show much, he's always a first-teamer when you have a very special player in Karagounis sitting outside and only coming on as sub to get a few minutes which is usually too little to do anything but you can still see he manages to get involved in match somehow and give the team something extra.

And you can't say he does it to be on safe side since Beto does good defensive-work either because I myself always consider defence first anyway and make sure the team has enough power when not in posession of ball.

But truth of the matter is with the amazing "PETIT" sitting as your DMF and Manuel Fernandes as CM, he does enough tracking back and defensive work anyway since he's a very balanced player and not attack or defense-minded totally AND one thing that is special about Karagounis among other AMF's in world is that his DEFENDING is much better anyway.. so he's a good defender/tackler and tenacious/hardworking so it's not like he'll be a danger to have in side cuz he won't defend like many lazy AMF's.

So he can easily play in AMF role or CM role and will do a good enough defensive job. Probably even better than Beto yet give something extra when attacking too and less mistakes.

So the 3 midfielers of Benfica when all are fit should be

Petit
M. Fernandes and Karagounis who has a great long shot as well but no Koeman always plays Beto who will get you yellow cards, avg skills, yes hardworking but so is Karagounis and he has better skills and incredible stamina/tenacity.

I also don't agree with some of the other stuff he did but oh well.. won't get to it now. Let's hope at last now though he's realized that Beto although a decent player can easily sit out on bench cuz Benfica has better options available and he was at fault for first goal of this game!

There was also another mistake he did where he let the ball bounce near penalty area and Eto'o got to it and tried to hit ball under to chip goalie but it was too high but let's not forget these moments just because htey don't turn into goals. That was another big mistake by Beto who knows by now you can't let a dangerous ball like that bounce especially against such a fast and agile player like Eto'o.

Last edited:

You're totally wright Sina, Beto and Koeman look like Romeo and Juliet from William Shakespeare, besides Nuno Gomes is another one! The man only cares' only about his hair, looks a lady.

Both ones must have a "godfather" in Benfica.

SPiTFiRE said:
That's very nice to hear, when was Greece in Euro2004 nobody talked about their coward game, defending all the time and attacking once during the game.

Benfica isn't like that, Benfica plays with his midfield and defense, man-to-man and when recovers the ball, they cheap it or pass it for the wingers (Simão and Geovanni). This isn't anti-football, we don't make too many fouls! We have a great defense e a great counter-attack but we have very good free-kick takers. We probably have the best defensive players and the best fastest players.

P.S.: Venha o Barça...

Greece was ridiculous to see! Also Benfica! You say it yourself........they play counter-attack well that's what I hate most. Teams who ONLY wait for counters and are so cowards that they are afraid to attack by themselves. I'm glad to see Benfica is out another anti-football team less

Milanista said:
Gattuso and Seedorf were instrumental. Seedorf also set up the first goal, and was a pain for the Lyon team.

Gattuso yes, Seedorf no. He was mediocre. When Seedorf plays well hes awesome. Remember the 1-0 loss in Rome this season? he was fantastic even though we lost. What dissapointed me was his overall game. It was a great left foot cross by him for the first goal, but doing one thing right in the whole match doesnt mean you had a good game.

The only way Milan looked threatening was the wings.

Congrats to Barca! Really looking forward to the semi final now. I dont know about you guys, but I prefer it when Milan play against a big name in world football. Thats in no way showing disrespect to teams like Lyon, but I always get the feeling we dont take teams like that seriously enough.

It was the same last year when we played PSV. We acted like we could easily beat them, when infact we were outplayed in both legs, similar this year against Lyon. When we face names like Barcalona, Bayern Munich etc the players realise that they have to perform.

Thats why Im really confident we can take Barca.

Yeah, Milan and Lyon seem to be the only two teams in the competition. Funny, as Lyon has already been eliminated, and Milan will be returning home empty handed in the next round.

i don't agree with u guys were saying about koeman. his tatic was very good...i don't like beto as well, but his job is to destroy the opponents plays...the worse part, is that he destroy's benfica's game as well lol..but we can't blame koeman, he did a wonderfull job,and about his substitutions, it's hard to guess how a player will react in such pressure, for example, how Marcel would react...he never played a game like that, and yet he played very well while he was on the field!on the other hand, Robert (a mediocre player for me) who is suppose to be an experienced player...done nothing good! in this game, benfica was very unlucky...simao had a great chance...i still can believe how he missed that!and karagounis had other great chance...despite ronaldinho's penalty, the truth is that benfica had the best chances, and at the same time, was the team that attacked less! also, the referee was crutial at the end of the game,when benfica was "rising"...and, imo the 2nd goal started on a really poor decision of that dick. that's what makes me mad...things extra-football! but it's ok now..hopefully barça will not o any further...they don't have a team capable of winnin agains Milan, i'm sure of that! and about benfica, i never was so proud of being a Benfica fan...too bad we didn't make trough, but slowly we are returning to the benfica of the old times

gungrave said:
i don't agree with u guys were saying about koeman. his tatic was very good...i don't like beto as well, but his job is to destroy the opponents plays...the worse part, is that he destroy's benfica's game as well lol..but we can't blame koeman, he did a wonderfull job,and about his substitutions, it's hard to guess how a player will react in such pressure, for example, how Marcel would react...he never played a game like that, and yet he played very well while he was on the field!on the other hand, Robert (a mediocre player for me) who is suppose to be an experienced player...done nothing good! in this game, benfica was very unlucky...simao had a great chance...i still can believe how he missed that!and karagounis had other great chance...despite ronaldinho's penalty, the truth is that benfica had the best chances, and at the same time, was the team that attacked less! also, the referee was crutial at the end of the game,when benfica was "rising"...and, imo the 2nd goal started on a really poor decision of that dick. that's what makes me mad...things extra-football! but it's ok now..hopefully barça will not o any further...they don't have a team capable of winnin agains Milan, i'm sure of that! and about benfica, i never was so proud of being a Benfica fan...too bad we didn't make trough, but slowly we are returning to the benfica of the old times

What game have you been watching?

Damn! Anybody see the UEFA Cup game between Boro and Basle!?

I know this isn't a CL match, but it warrents a mention!

gungrave said:

You really:

1- Didn't watch the game at all.
2- Don't know a thing about football.
3- Are a fanboy who is consciously ignoring the 19 goal chances that barcelona had in the overall.

Be fair. The old good benfica was miles away of the present team, that only tried to bomb large balls during 180 minutes.

Its a shame, this benfica team will inevitably fall apart with key players such as Simao on the verge of leaving in the summer, with karagounis reaching the peak of his career and i believe miccoli is still juventus property. Yet, knowing Koeman, he could nuture a new generation of superstars like he did in Amsterdam with the production of stars such as Van der Vaart, Sneijder, Chivu, Heitinga and De jong.

ooh_harry said:
Its a shame, this benfica team will inevitably fall apart with key players such as Simao on the verge of leaving in the summer, with karagounis reaching the peak of his career and i believe miccoli is still juventus property. Yet, knowing Koeman, he could nuture a new generation of superstars like he did in Amsterdam with the production of stars such as Van der Vaart, Sneijder, Chivu, Heitinga and De jong.

Koeman didn't do that, that was Adriaanse.

You've heard about the attack on Javier+Cristian Zanetti by Inter supporters? Fucking ridiculous. Something's gotta be done about Italian "Ultra" fans.

Yep, I worry about Ivan Cordoba (lol I sound liek his mother) for example my firend once told me "Dude Cordoba's in the hospital he got attacked!" And I believed him, I was scared shitless lol...you know Shevchenko made a press release askin the fans not to attack players, class on AND off teh field... :applause: to him

Problems for barcelona against milan. Right now Messi, Xavi, Larsson, Motta, Marquez, Sylvinho and Ezquerro are injured. Deco won't play in San Sairo, so the team is in a very critical situation. I wonder Barcelona could face milan in good shape, but it won't be. It's a shame to reach the most important match of the season with so many injuries.

Of all the players that won't be at san siro, Messi, Xavi, Deco and Larsson are key players. Imagine Milan without Shevchenko, Gilardino, Seedorf and Gattusso. I only hope we can stand against the milanists and win in the second leg match at nou camp.

Larsson can be replaced by Maxi Lopez. And he's not that good anyway.
Deco can be replaced by Iniesta. Deco is playing crappy nowadays.
Messi can be replaced by Giuly. Barca won the spanish league with Giuly.
Xavi didn't play this season, so he practically doesn't count.

Surely Rijkaard will be out of subs, but it's only two matches we're talking about. I really don't see a problem here, specially considering Barcelona won the spanish league last season with as many injured players as they have now. With the league in their pocket, I think they'll safely make it to the CL final game in Paris against Villareal.

Back
Top Bottom