UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread

Re: UEFA Champions League 05/06 Thread (Last 8)

Lyon can overcome AC Milan, but Juninho is suspended which is a huge loss.
Nedved, Poyol, also gone for 1st game.

mathewsss said:
I think the 3 best teams are in one side of the draw: Barca, Lyon, Milan.
which is a pity, because...
the other side of the draw is not very balanced: Juve probably the strongest on that side, but look how Werder almost beat them.
Inter are too inconsistent, Arsenal are good, but will struggle against
the big guns.
Both Benfica and Villareal are good, but you'd think they will struggle
when it really gets tough.
Well said. I agree.
It's a shame 3 best teams are on one side in my opinion but what it also means is whoever the winner is will have really proven to be champ and best because for example if Lyon beat AC and then Barca then they certainly deserve to be in final or if Barca or AC do same they've beaten 2 of the best teams in world.

well just got back home from a footy nite at mates house.

All I can say is well played Lyon, but Milan didnt turn up in the second half. I dont know whether Im being a bit harsh on Shevchenko, but he should of put 1 of the 3 clear chances he had away. By his standards they were very easy.

I was also impressed by Cris in the Lyon defense, and Malouda. Wiltord had a great game too.

I guess out of all the matches shown Arsenal have looked the most impressive, with Henry yet again proving he's a football legend already.

Adonis said:
All I can say is well played Lyon, but Milan didnt turn up in the second half. I dont know whether Im being a bit harsh on Shevchenko, but he should of put 1 of the 3 clear chances he had away. By his standards they were very easy.

Because Coupet is mister perfect yesterday :applause:
i htink it's a good result for Lyon, because without Juninho "mister last pass", but fu** no Tiago for the second games :roll:

Yeah it is. Reveillere who is first choice right back is still missing too though, don't forget that. Clerc has overall been impressive this season and suprised many that he can be a good backup for Anthony this season in his appearances but today showed his weakness in some parts of game especially in first 15 mins or so where he looked shaky, was getting hammered by Serginho/Seedorf and even when Kaka would go down left sometimes. He was getting caught up too much as he'd attack and also the way he defends it was easy for a creative individual which Milan has plenty of to put a throughball behind him for the guy making overlapping run from left to catch as Serginho did a couple times!

It's the kid's only 19th appearance for Lyon senior side though and to play in CL against a team like Milan at Q-finals had given a few players a bit of nerves in first minutes of games. Things got better and they got more settled and composed as game went on though and believed they could get a win in 2nd half even without Juninho missing they weren't gonna lower their expectations of a win at home and gave it a go.

All in all though good result for both cuz I hardly doubt AC came there and would be unhappy to walk out with 0-0 draw in fact they were probably very relieved to get out of that match after 2nd half not having lost it after all that posesssion of Lyon's and on other hand, Lyon had some key players missing like Juninho and Reveillere and even with one of them back, even if they get a draw now but score a goal like 1-1 or 2-2 it'll be good enough but they can go there and win it I feel and of course AC Milan can do that too the same way they crushed Bayern at home so it leaves it very open and exciting for 7 days from now! :)

Actually 6 now.. lol ;)

looking forward to it and all other 3 CL ties very much!

Last edited:

still putting my money on benfica. they're gonna be the big surpise and kick barca out at their home ground. :)

Arsenal was impressive...

Adonis said:
well just got back home from a footy nite at mates house.

I was also impressed by Cris in the Lyon defense, and Malouda. Wiltord had a great game too.

I guess out of all the matches shown Arsenal have looked the most impressive, with Henry yet again proving he's a football legend already.

I think both teams also suffered from the pitch. Kaka and Clerc screwed up many passes and shots because the ball would randomly bounce. In the first half i think Milan were the better side, and Lyon in the 2nd half. Nesta and Kaladze were my best 2 for Milan, with Pirlo having a great first half. I dont like how Maldini is beeing put on the right, but I dont want him to replace Nesta, Kaladze or Serginho who are in great form lately. I want Stam back for the San Siro game, which I really think Milan can win. Milan usually turn up in big games in San Siro every year... only problem is that I cant find fucking tickets!!!!!!!

Milanista said:
I think both teams also suffered from the pitch. Kaka and Clerc screwed up many passes and shots because the ball would randomly bounce. In the first half i think Milan were the better side, and Lyon in the 2nd half. Nesta and Kaladze were my best 2 for Milan, with Pirlo having a great first half. I dont like how Maldini is beeing put on the right, but I dont want him to replace Nesta, Kaladze or Serginho who are in great form lately. I want Stam back for the San Siro game, which I really think Milan can win. Milan usually turn up in big games in San Siro every year... only problem is that I cant find fucking tickets!!!!!!!

Eh mate where is Cafu?I've read he is fit now and can play ,what about Stam?Hope he will be fit for the next tie!FORZZA MILAN!!
and yes you're right yesterday nesta and Kaladze were great by putting this shit/crap Carew in the pocket

Cafu just returned, but I dont know when he will play. Stam is recovering, I'm also not sure if he will play next tuesday!

damn bad new!!what do you think about Costacurta in RB,?AGAINST Fiorentina he was good,but yesterday he struggled to handle Malouda
why not try D.Simic?

the thought of a possible arsenal v ac/barca final is too good to imagine!! we've had finals in the past with similar heavyweights but the football these teams are playing is breathtaking!! 2005 beater....i think so!!

yet im not going to discount lyon, benfica and juventus. after all it is the champions league...

ooh_harry said:
the thought of a possible arsenal v ac/barca final is too good to imagine!! we've had finals in the past with similar heavyweights but the football these teams are playing is breathtaking!! 2005 beater....i think so!!

yet im not going to discount lyon, benfica and juventus. after all it is the champions league...

c'mon Barca or milan against Inter will be great;)

it would be great but who would you rather see a footballing masterclass between the best two footballers and 2 of the best emerging talents in the world in henry, ronaldinho, messi and fabregas or watch Inter brand of boring (comparatively) defensive footy....i know what id rather watch

in terms of milan/arsenal....it'd be intresting to watch the kaka/fabregas duel in the middle of the park and the henry/nesta and shevchenko/toure duels!!

oh yes you're right totally agree you changed my point of view!!so hope barca or milan against arsenal!it will more great!!

Its just lovely how no one considers Arsenal have a sniff of a chance at maling it to the final, especially after our first leg victory over Juve. That is exactly how we preer it. The underdog mentality is one that Arsenal thrives on. That is why we could never defend Premiership trophies after we won them, never did well in the Champs league when we were a "big side' and expected to win it. Now looking in this thread Arsenal seems to be as much an afterthought as Benfica. Even Villareal seems to be getting more shouts than Arsenal at the moment. When does a team go from being considered a cinderella team, punching above their own weight? After Madrid, it was said we played a weak team, yet they are the only team sniffing Barca's boot straps in La Liga. Now, if we are to beat Juventus, I'm sure people will say well they are old and worn out, or we are lucky, like Capello suggested. Well, why the hell are they winning the league by a landslide. Until people realise that Arsenal havent lost a in 7games, so far, havent conceded a goal in 6 CL games and yet seem to be the most attacking side recently (Barca did not really attack against Chelsea). The combination of defensive solidity and attacking verve coupled with successful results ought to see as smiling all the way while everyone wonders what the hell hit them. Although this lesson was taught a year ago by Liverpool.

Tonight, the best team in the world at home (Milan) vs the best team in the world away (Lyon)

ThomasGOAL said:
Tonight, the best team in the world at home (Milan) vs the best team in the world away (Lyon)

I dunno, Arsenal have won every away CL game this season, including one in Madrid.

I never even thought about that actually, as much as Juve are good at home we have outstanding away this season (in the CL at least).

bradley1886 said:
I dunno, Arsenal have won every away CL game this season, including one in Madrid.

I never even thought about that actually, as much as Juve are good at home we have outstanding away this season (in the CL at least).

Milan never lose at home in one year
Lyon never lose away in one year (Last defeat away in March 2005)

in all competitions

Last edited:

I just hope the pitch conditions/the weather/the referee all things like that are good in this match and top quality cuz this match is the SHIT!!!!! Been waiting for it anxiously for soooo long!

Let's hope no muddy pitch, no slippery, no crap weather... nothing like that to bring quality down!

hmmm that's a pretty common number in bundesliga for regular matches, but than again it it is not from france to italy ;)

Nice glad to hear weather and everything seems to be good. I assume pitch will be in top condition too.

Milan : 3
Lyon : 1

It's hard, that all
And Lyon can't score 2 or 3 goal in end of the first half
and 2 Milan goals in the last 3 minutes...

BRAVO LYON AGAIN

Back
Top Bottom