The Retro-PES Corner

You should do one of Zamenhof :lol:

Also, I feel like one of you should make a discord server for retro-PES (not me, I have a poor track record), particularly would be useful for online friendlies - but it's up to you. This thread will of course have a lot of use because well, a forum thread is able to be way more detailed but for newer members and the like maybe it will be useful? idk

Years ago I created a team, took a screenshot of different positions and drew over the top in Photoshop. The idea was to try and make a comic but I only did one frame.
Would be good to see more artistic interpretations of the default ML team like the stickers.

Speaking of stickers, this was something I did a while ago of old "lightbulb head", Welsh wonder, Macco. Never bothered doing any more. Maybe I should keep going and do the rest :D

23r8s35.png

@sniglet, you are a goddamn genius mate. And doesn't his royal Macconess look a bit like Newcastle's JonJo Shelvey ?

Also, I feel like one of you should make a discord server for retro-PES (not me, I have a poor track record), particularly would be useful for online friendlies - but it's up to you. This thread will of course have a lot of use because well, a forum thread is able to be way more detailed but for newer members and the like maybe it will be useful? idk

What is a discord server ? We don't have much of that here happily.....:FISH:

Well, it's a fancy name for a community on discord

IIRC there is one for this place but not one specifically for retro-PES

I could always initially set it up and transfer it to someone more reliable

Edit: done https://discord.gg/wvQ7RWm

if anyone wants ownership I'd quite glady give it to them

Last edited:
In an alternate timeline, there's a Roberto Larcos suing Konami for appropriating his name on the early PES games :D

A Zamenhof sticker would have a white canvas only, no player pic: because the guy doesn't even appear on training sessions, let alone playing actual matches...

About the discord server @flanylla, I did create one for my Retro Sports Club project, as well as a dedicated forum to go along the blog. Ended up scrapping the discord idea, at least for now.

@sniglet, you are a goddamn genius mate. And doesn't his royal Macconess look a bit like Newcastle's JonJo Shelvey ?

Just needs to have much paler skin, a totally bald head and a set of fangs and you're right, he's a double for Jonjo "Nosferatu" Shelvey.

Had a quiet few minutes today so did old man and eyebrowless freak, Barota. Have sketches for Burchet, Castolo and Ceciu done too. Working A-Z, so Zamenhof will be last (as always). :D

jzblsp.jpg

I don't think anyone has ever seen the real Zamenhof. I know when he did make a farewell appearance in my team (and debut at the same time!) he was wearing a mask. :D Word is his passport picture is blank too.

Just needs to have much paler skin, a totally bald head and a set of fangs and you're right, he's a double for Jonjo "Nosferatu" Shelvey.

Had a quiet few minutes today so did old man and eyebrowless freak, Barota. Have sketches for Burchet, Castolo and Ceciu done too. Working A-Z, so Zamenhof will be last (as always). :D

jzblsp.jpg
These are genuinely amazing, well done.

I don't think anyone has ever seen the real Zamenhof. I know when he did make a farewell appearance in my team (and debut at the same time!) he was wearing a mask. :D Word is his passport picture is blank too.
Rumour has it, Zamenhof isn't even his real name.

About the discord server @flanylla, I did create one for my Retro Sports Club project, as well as a dedicated forum to go along the blog. Ended up scrapping the discord idea, at least for now.
I replied to your PM. :) Sounds a cool idea, if we get a few of us involved in a small forum or such, dedicated to retro football including our beloved PES :P

I mean if we had a Retro-PES forum on here, even better, but that was apparently suggested before and never came to fruition. Of course if we do have such a board we won't abandon here because there's so much usefulness here :)

Yeah, the Dinner suggested it a while back, but I understood why that didn't came to life, as there's only a few people participating here regularly, on a single thread.

Anyway, I've been setting up those forums with some of the ideas I've had over time and tried to execute here, like the Retro-PES Goal of the Week, the World Live Season and the Retro-PES Online Club.

With all this hype around FIFA 16, i gave it a go again this week with the demo gameplay.

It is surely the best FIFA ever released. No doubt about that. But i was annoyed by a few issues :

-Passing stats are useless, i can't see the difference between Modric and Bakayoko's passing. (I tested manual/semi/auto passing assistance too)
-Lower teams playing tiki-taka and sometimes harder to beat than top teams
-I feel restricted when playing, i feel like i must play a certain way to score (mainly playing wide and then cut in with pacey players), whereas in pes 3 you can use so much different scoring strategies, depending on your opponent and on your own players of course.

Back to PES3 :))

In an alternate timeline, there's a Roberto Larcos suing Konami for appropriating his name on the early PES games :D
I do ponder this often, I take it the greyness of copyright laws in the early 2000 in regards to video games meant that devs got away with the skin of their teeth.

I can't remember the game but it was some small studio F2P game unrelated to football & a couple of years ago, they had a character that was dark skinned, had dreadlocks and orange goggles. Well Edgar David's successfully sued them for copyright infringement & "blatantly" stealing his likeness. That's with plausible deniability, no reference to soccer or a clever play on his name. But that was all it takes. That & the Fortnite dances scandal, Roberto Larcos & his trademark free kick animation & massive quads wouldn't have stood a chance.

@MafiaMurderBag: What? That's just goddamn crazy sh*t right there...in 10/20 years, if I grow my hair and beard will I be sued for copyright infringement, appropration of Aquaman's likeness?

Now that I think of it, Minanda (ML default) was called "Miranda" early on - just like Castolo was Castello, Ivarov -> Ivanov...
- Miranda is a very common portuguese surname
- Miranda/Minanda was portuguese in PES
- He looked portuguese with his mixed skin

If I were a sociopathic leader of men I'd be forming a group of portuguese Mirandas and have them all sue Konami. Quite a sight it'd be, Konami's lawyers attending to what easily could amount to hundred thousand court cases :LOL:

ffs AGAIN! I simply do not have words, another crazy double foul in the opposition's box goes unpunished on my young guns! And, again.. in Europe:LOL:!

First time I said it half jokingly, now I'm starting to believe there truly is some kind of algorythm that punishes your team in european comps more than elsewhere:BORED:!

I'm tilted, mates :CRY:!

@MafiaMurderBag: What? That's just goddamn crazy sh*t right there...in 10/20 years, if I grow my hair and beard will I be sued for copyright infringement, appropration of Aquaman's likeness?

Now that I think of it, Minanda (ML default) was called "Miranda" early on - just like Castolo was Castello, Ivarov -> Ivanov...
- Miranda is a very common portuguese surname
- Miranda/Minanda was portuguese in PES
- He looked portuguese with his mixed skin

If I were a sociopathic leader of men I'd be forming a group of portuguese Mirandas and have them all sue Konami. Quite a sight it'd be, Konami's lawyers attending to what easily could amount to hundred thousand court cases :LOL:
This pretty much explains, how we ended up in latter PES games, having a Greek guy named Casteldine, a guy from Uzbekistan named (Jeremy) Irons, some dudes from Singapore/Thailand with British common names like Scholes,Jones,Pierson and maybe in the near future,a Portuguese light-skin guy named Karim Abdul Mufasa.Or a dude from Zambia named Lee-Woon Jae.

@slamsoze It's a sad world isn't it when you have to have endless licenses to use names in a game.

The public should turn it full circle on football teams and all stop buying team shirts as by wearing them they are effectively a free advertising board for the shirt sponsor. In fact they should demand payment from the club for wearing it instead of paying rip off prices for it. After all the sponsor is paying the club to have it on their shirt, the fans should get a share for the free advertising. Wouldn't it be great to see all the fans in a stadium wearing the shirt with the sponsor blacked out :)

Did somebody ever seriously ventured in the depth of a J-League chapter?

I'm tempted to give it a try in the near future but I'm afraid the language barrier might be too much to overcome for a long term proper comp.

@Madmac79: I tried it, but as usual I had problems with the emulator and couldn't run it decently, lags a bit. It's tolerable, but not ideal. My workaround the language issue was through trial and error :D as in, click on every item and see what it does, then it's easy to recall what each thing does.

@Madmac79: I tried it, but as usual I had problems with the emulator and couldn't run it decently, lags a bit. It's tolerable, but not ideal. My workaround the language issue was through trial and error :D as in, click on every item and see what it does, then it's easy to recall what each thing does.

The patience of trial and error might be part of the peculiarity of the experience. Although I don't know if I still have it in me :D. Nowadays I just want to load and play.

Anyway, I find so fascinating all this low attribute teams with so many different and new stadiums, teams, kits.. plus there are games like WE 6 J-League that had legendary status at the times, yet I've never played more than a bunch of friendlies with. We2008 and WE9 J-League also looks like gigantic titles that would deserve some true gameplay.

Cool, thanks. I guess you have to "mount" this patches on the vanilla games isos, right?

It must have passed more than a decade since I did anything similar, I don't remember a thing :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom