The Retro-PES Corner

The patience of trial and error might be part of the peculiarity of the experience. Although I don't know if I still have it in me :D. Nowadays I just want to load and play.

Anyway, I find so fascinating all this low attribute teams with so many different and new stadiums, teams, kits.. plus there are games like WE 6 J-League that had legendary status at the times, yet I've never played more than a bunch of friendlies with. We2008 and WE9 J-League also looks like gigantic titles that would deserve some true gameplay.

Cool, thanks. I guess you have to "mount" this patches on the vanilla games isos, right?

It must have passed more than a decade since I did anything similar, I don't remember a thing :LOL:

Yes, there is a tool for that. Ppf-o-matic or something like that, if i remember right.

Oh you beauty, i was looking for a translation patch for JL2008 for a while and gave up as the links were dead! I'll patch this tonight when i get home and let you know how i get on.

I really wanted to get immersed in this game as it seemed like a nice football cultural melting pot and a different universe of sorts with an authentic licensed league with it's own stadiums. We wouldn't get anything like that in PES until 2013 with the La Liga so the fantasy of Konami making full use of an entire license at their disposal was a very interesting one.

Plus the game play like a very advanced and polished PES 6, It's obviously PES 2008 PS2, Which i know how revered it is around here but it's game play shines even more when your playing with sides and players that don't have the luxury of high & all rounded stats. You've literally got to work withing the parameters of your minnows strengths and weaknesses and that's where the beauty of PS2 PES lies.

Love the "Game was just a game" Article mate.

We've touched upon it a couple of weeks ago in this thread but the way you've analysed and articluated it here is just fantastic.

In 2006 i played PES 5 to death thinking i had seen every square inch this game had to offer and i longed for a day when the game, could look a bit better. "If only we had 3D crowds, 3D turf, Cloth physics etc." I moaned. Yeah i pretty much complained to myself this games even for a PS2 game in '06 looked dated and we were entitled to more.

I never thought i'd see the day when we would get all of those things in PES & FIFA 19, but it's like finally sleeping with that girl you've lusted after all this time. You've got her at your fingertips, had your way with this amazing body, but now what?

We've got to have a conversation afterwards but there's nothing there, no spark or chemistry. I'm not having fun anymore...

Then you start thinking about your first love, the girl that got away and how you wish you could go back, they were younger and simpler times but it was invigorating and gave you these fantastic memories. Maybe didn't have the stunning model body but she was far from ugly either.

That's how i feel going back to these classic games now. The maturity sets in and you've seen the stunning naked body, you've seen the hyper realistic graphics and you know there is more to it then this.

I loved your line about being able to enjoy these games with out the context of the pressures of trying to look state of the art and that you can just take them as they come.

In some ways and i'm sure most people in the club no me by now, I'm in love with these older titles again and maybe in someway, prefer the way they look too. Stylized and identifiable charm in a less then 4GB package.

It's definetely all about fun. It all depends what you want from the game. Thrashing a team 12-0 might be fun for someone or a tight 4-3 on a higher difficulty might be more fun for someone else. Even concentrating 100% on editing and not playing the game could be. Because the game is so versatile you can approach it from any angle.
A good example is when I played Active Soccer DX which is a nod to Swos. Can't remember laughing while playing a game before.

@MafiaMurderBag: Appreciate it man. In fact, it was that conversation we had here that inspired me to write the article. One certainly can approach retro-gaming through many different perspectives, but I had never considered what you had written here before about the charm and unique look that these retro-games have, now that we have a modern
perspective and have seen what hyper-realism looks like. It's a very interesting idea to me.

One of the analogies I often use to demonstrate the value of retro-gaming is comparing it to the movie/music industry. Would you not watch Hitchcock's Vertigo or Birds just because it's old and looks old, doesn't have fancy CGI and overall, the technology used to make those films can't even be compared to what exists today? Do you refuse to hear a Beach Boys album because it's old and there's literally nothing about it that was computerized (unlike modern music)? Just like many retro-games out there, when a movie or a song is brilliant and is considered a classic - when it's indeed that good - they become timeless. I guarantee you that in half a century from now, I'll fire up a PES3 gaming session to introduce the game to my grandkids, and I don't know or care whether we'll have flying cars or teletransportation by then: I just know they'll have a great time with the game. It's impossible not to. I bet you that a thousand years from now, aliens will arrive to a deserted Earth, find a copy of PES3 and play it. Ours will be the last planet they'll visit, because the game is so addictive they won't be able to leave.

@MafiaMurderBag: Appreciate it man. In fact, it was that conversation we had here that inspired me to write the article. One certainly can approach retro-gaming through many different perspectives, but I had never considered what you had written here before about the charm and unique look that these retro-games have, now that we have a modern
perspective and have seen what hyper-realism looks like. It's a very interesting idea to me.

One of the analogies I often use to demonstrate the value of retro-gaming is comparing it to the movie/music industry. Would you not watch Hitchcock's Vertigo or Birds just because it's old and looks old, doesn't have fancy CGI and overall, the technology used to make those films can't even be compared to what exists today? Do you refuse to hear a Beach Boys album because it's old and there's literally nothing about it that was computerized (unlike modern music)? Just like many retro-games out there, when a movie or a song is brilliant and is considered a classic - when it's indeed that good - they become timeless. I guarantee you that in half a century from now, I'll fire up a PES3 gaming session to introduce the game to my grandkids, and I don't know or care whether we'll have flying cars or teletransportation by then: I just know they'll have a great time with the game. It's impossible not to. I bet you that a thousand years from now, aliens will arrive to a deserted Earth, find a copy of PES3 and play it. Ours will be the last planet they'll visit, because the game is so addictive they won't be able to leave.

That last line is a cracker of a statement. I would use it in my sig alongside your other quote but i don't have any bloody space.

Your'e absolutely right and we don't need to defend the appeal of retro mediums, there's evidence that there's a market and a massive contingent of people that consume retro mediums. We never live The Beatles down or allow Queens legacy to die. We've just released a movie about them so the demand is there. And part of it is that we grow old and we not only look back in fondness at the music we grew up and tend to stay in our era, but as we mature, those of us that are sophisticated and open minded can appreciate that art & expression is timeless & not a new concept and that we go further back in time and listen to bands, artists, watch movies that are before our time to understand and try to appreciate what made them so critically successful. Why generations of people loved them. I discovered older bands and artists because i found out they we're inspirations of my favorite artists.

i watched Alien for the first time in my life last year and felt like it embodied mood and tension better then your glossy over produced Hollywood candy cliched horror movies of today. I recently watched Fawlty Towers for the first time and aside from the primitive production thought it was some of the most genius pieces of comedy I've ever seen and thrashes that Mr's Brown Boys nonsense in terms of wit & storytelling.

I think there's a recent discussion about Sony and backwards compatibility and there ignorance to not making an effort to feature it by default on the PS4 when Microsoft clearly accommodated it on the XB1, and some rep for Sony basically scoffed at the idea of support for older games saying something along the lines "Why would anybody wanna play those games, they look so old!" Obviously he lives in a bubble and is unaware there's a market for old games the same way there always was a market for retro.

You've nailed it about how your kids will find old games fun, because they are. Why else do we preserve Super Mario Bro's and port it and port it and so many other 16bit classics, because it's a simple and timeless masterpiece and anybody of any age, young or old can pick up a controller learn it right off the bat. I'm excited to introduce my daughter to all these great games that simple yet unforgettable in the way they look too. We recently finished Journey & Rime on PS4, vivid and elegant and controls that have no more then 2 buttons.

i watched Alien for the first time in my life last year and felt like it embodied mood and tension better then your glossy over produced Hollywood candy cliched horror movies of today. I recently watched Fawlty Towers for the first time and aside from the primitive production thought it was some of the most genius pieces of comedy I've ever seen and thrashes that Mr's Brown Boys nonsense in terms of wit & storytelling.
\

Great post MMB. Sitcom's in particular these days are largely absolutely awful, not helped by the pc world we now live in where you can't possibly offend anyone by making a joke. Fawlty Towers is timeless as is Porridge, which I highly recommend watching if you haven't seen them all. Ronnie Barker at his finest.

I despair of Hollywood films these days. The same old crap over and over again, to the same old formula. You're right about music too, there's nothing better than discovering a band you knew nothing about and then getting to find out all they made and often finding another from them as well.

It seems so many games companies have forgotten that when it comes down to it, the gameplay is the part that will keep people returning to a game. Not, oh I must load up call of duty 45 because those graphics were something else.

@MafiaMurderBag: I'm glad you don't have space, we shan't advertise it much to the aliens or else they'll read it and be enticed to come here sooner only to play some PES3! :LOL:

(or are they already here doing so? :BLINK::JAY:)

I'll put it this way: I think the potential for a market is definitely there. It's not yet fully functional because your typical gamer still sees the retro game as a kind of old, decaying monster that he musn't get close to or else he'll contract a virus and die on the spot. Remember that Nostalgia post I wrote on RSC, about people dismissing retro-gaming as "meh, just nostalgia", or calling other gamers "nostalgia-freaks"? It's a symptom of that, those people haven't even considered that there could be a different way of life gaming. Unfortunately, many are not ready yet to realize that gaming could be something else than just consuming the next "high" just because the new game is new, and could actually be about playing what you actually enjoy playing the most, regardless of how it looks or how old it might be - it's not a complex idea at all, but sometimes the simplest ideas are the most difficult to accept.
In a consumerist world like ours, this idea has to be preserved, or else we'll cease to be able to appreciate art and culture altogether and just like something because it's the most recent thing, paying no attention to its actual value.

That Sony rep's line is an example of this primitive mentality, it's unbelievable that people that shortsighted could be in charge of our entertainment. I saw it with the release of the PS Classic: "here, play this because of...nostalgia reasons...and it's history...go!". It doesn't work like that, people aren't machines. If you want to convince them to play, say, ISS Pro Evo, you have to show them in detail what's so great about it, rather than throwing out a couple of cliché words at people's faces and hope they'll magically become attracted.

Dudes if there was not space in the market for “Retro” we would not have all this madness of HD remastered titles.Despite this for me it is not as much retro as it is lack of creativity.Or not only all these games are retro but games like these are not even produced today like my all time favorite Captain Commando,or Spin Master,which I found recently are on sale in PS store.
I wanted to write a post about these games that are not being produced today,or they are sold as remastered or Android apps only,but I completely forgot due to I am an old gramps. :(
The inspiration for this was a mention someone made to “track & field” a game I used to play in game boy and arcade,using a battery AA,a fire-lighter,or a game boy cartadge case to rubb the buttons.Which game I discovered recently was published by our beloved KONAMi!!!

@slamsoze Ah yes, it was wasn't it! I remember playing track and field in the arcades. I'd long forgotten that was Konami! Was that the one where he'd stand scratching his head if he didn't meet the qualifying mark? Used to love that and a game called 10 yard fight in the arcades.

What I like about the PES series (at least the PS2-era games, can't really say about the current ones), is that the stats are programmed correctly.

Let me explain: @fmicablues7 said that in FIFA 16, passing stats don't matter. That's undeniably true:
  • PES series: the higher a stat (passing, dribbling, tackling...), the better a player is at performing that action
  • FIFA series: the higher a stat, the more likely he is to perform said action, meaning in FIFA, those stats control the frequency, not how good he is
On the other hand, one thing about FIFA that I like, it's that it's arguably easier to tweak and edit.
For example, when I made the Gameplay Tool for WE9/LE together with Kingsley813, just adding the extra substitution in extra time was a pain, having to look for the right address/values in the EXE with Cheat Engine, etc...
With FIFA, most of the time you need to add/edit the correct string in a .ini file, and you're done.

Having said that... yes, I know I'm making a gameplay tweak for FIFA 16. Please have mercy :EMB::PP

So does that mean in FIFA a player with higher passing will pass more often?
If so, what determines the accuracy?

Has anyone here had any issues with kitserver stopping PES/WE from working?

I'm trying to play WE8 (from Sany's original installer) and it only works if I disable kitserver.

I tried downloading 4.4.1 (and 4.4.0) from https://kitserver.mapote.com/files/ and replacing the files but it doesn't fix it. Any ideas?

Edit: Nevermind, figured it out! ENB clashes with kitserver 4 by all accounts.

Last edited:
Haven't shared the last 2, Round of 16 episodes from my WC yet. Quarter finals will be uploaded tomorrow, I had flu last week so couldn't record :SICK:

Asia expects as Co-Hosts Japan carry the dreams of a nation into the quarter finals as they take on a talented but wobbly Italy. Then, it's Three Lions vs Les Lions as impressive England take on Cameroon & the Top Scorer - M'Boma!

Superpower Showdown in Miyagi as USA take on Asia's last hope, China and then Africa's last representatives Senegal challenge minnows Slovenia.

Hey guys.. im hopin someone can point me in the right direction please..

Ive basically got a snes mini that has been modified so i can play a whloe lot of retro games (snes/gameboy/ps1 etc..) & i want to try & get hold of World Soccer: Winning Eleven 6 - Final Evolution rom for the PS1.. but with an english patch so the txt is in english (menus/player names).. would settle for winning eleven 2002.

Loved this game back in the day.. actually had it but it was so long ago..

Any idea how i can get it to download..?? Or if anyone would be willing to share it..??

Any help would be much appreciated..

Thanks guys..

Last edited:
I've been playing some retro games this weekend on the PS1 and PS2 after having a real pang to play ISS PE2, the first football game that really got me hooked (even more than SWOS did years before).

Sometimes you shouldn't go back because it's never how you remember it, but do you know what? I had an absolute blast with ISS PE2. The old Master League system is great and the gameplay is still really rewarding.

I moved onto the early PES's (2, 3, 4, 5 and 6) and although I enjoyed PES 6 the most out of this batch, it felt way too fast to really get the most out of.

Then, to my surprise, I found a game at the back of my old "games without cases" folder that I don't think I've ever really tried because I never found a translation patch for it - J League Winning Eleven 2007 Club Championship.

What does the Retro PES thread think of this one? Is it a game we've all played? Because I barely hear mention of it, and I'll be damned if it wasn't the best of all the PS2 games I played.

It may just be PES 6 running with much poorer player attributes and therefore slower and with more "random" occurrences - or it may be changes to the gameplay engine (which I would suspect given that I played with non-J-League teams and it still felt better).

But it was a playably slow, full of errors, satisfying build-up, goal-variety showcase of what PES used to be, and I absolutely loved it. The clear favourite of the weekend for me - but sadly largely unplayable because it's in Japanese and because the disc hasn't aged well (the laser struggles with it).

@Chris Davies I'm not familiar with J League 2007 but i'll give it a go, it's on my PES bucket list but i can relate as i've been playing J-League 2008 with is PES 2008 with nerfed stats and with that it's basically PES 2008, which would then be PES 6 with newer animations and refinements and it's basically a lost PES. I'm looking forward to trying more of it and WE7 (PES 3) once i finish my WC on PES 6.

There was a thread that was linked with translation patches, here's one for 2007 Club Championship:
https://mega.co.nz/#F!qF4zzZIA!NJgWwZ1GZ8OwFGOA00yOMg

Anyway, finally made it to the Quarter Final stages of my WC 2002.

The first Quarter Final takes place as Spin takes on favourites Brazil in Shizuoka. Spain have already knocked out the 1998 Champions France, can the eliminate the runners up The Seleção?

Hello peeps, been too long since I last scoured the Winning Eleven box for old patches. Sick of FIFA, especially the F2P FIFA we've got here in Southeast Asia. I'm itching to replay the old JLWE titles again, anyone knows if was there ever a Fernando English patch for JLWE8AC?

Hello peeps, been too long since I last scoured the Winning Eleven box for old patches. Sick of FIFA, especially the F2P FIFA we've got here in Southeast Asia. I'm itching to replay the old JLWE titles again, anyone knows if was there ever a Fernando English patch for JLWE8AC?
Hi, at first glance it doesn't seem like there's one for WE8 but the JLWE9AC is on this list unless that's what you actually meant?

See this thread for translation patches with mega links:
https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/d...e8-we8le-jwe9ac-pes5-jwe2007cc-jwe2008.74728/

@MafiaMurderBag and whoever other knows, is there a movie maker program FOR free that it does the same job as the old Windows Movie maker? Basic effects, one channel for video clips cropped etc and one channel for music, to make a basic music video with highlights!
@Chris Davies I'm not familiar with J League 2007 but i'll give it a go, it's on my PES bucket list but i can relate as i've been playing J-League 2008 with is PES 2008 with nerfed stats and with that it's basically PES 2008, which would then be PES 6 with newer animations and refinements and it's basically a lost PES. I'm looking forward to trying more of it and WE7 (PES 3) once i finish my WC on PES 6.

There was a thread that was linked with translation patches, here's one for 2007 Club Championship:
https://mega.co.nz/#F!qF4zzZIA!NJgWwZ1GZ8OwFGOA00yOMg

Anyway, finally made it to the Quarter Final stages of my WC 2002.

The first Quarter Final takes place as Spin takes on favourites Brazil in Shizuoka. Spain have already knocked out the 1998 Champions France, can the eliminate the runners up The Seleção?

Dude. what video editing program do you use? I am stuck with a bshit version of Window Movie Maker in win7 version, something like win essentials, but it is complete crap in comparison with the old winXP movie maker.

Not really retro, but I discovered last night that my ageing PC (great GPU, terrible CPU) can play PES 2017 on "high" settings at 1080p with no lag.

Somewhat ridiculously, Konami have removed all their PES products from the store other than the latest game (i.e. 2019), but thankfully I've managed to purchase it elsewhere and I'm looking forward to getting home tonight and setting up the last Smoke patch for it. :D

If I could just add a bit more build-up play I'd be really happy with it...

Not really retro, but I discovered last night that my ageing PC (great GPU, terrible CPU) can play PES 2017 on "high" settings at 1080p with no lag.

Somewhat ridiculously, Konami have removed all their PES products from the store other than the latest game (i.e. 2019), but thankfully I've managed to purchase it elsewhere and I'm looking forward to getting home tonight and setting up the last Smoke patch for it. :D

If I could just add a bit more build-up play I'd be really happy with it...
PES 2017 is the last of the last-gen PC ports. Im running it in my i5-noGPU card PC, in max resolution/low details. I do the same from 2014 to 2017. Whenever i find sider from Jenkeys,Juces etc i can enforce a medium or high details with good performance.

As for KONAMI ultra offensive marketing strategy since last year, to remove all previous games from e-stores, not even a download center in their homepage to find all past DataPacks,. i find it extra stupid (i cant find a more polite word, sorry).

As for smoke patch Chris i am with this since last year, now EXCECO 9.9.3 something, i would recomend a PTE pach better over it. I respect all patch makers, do not go to deep down in details and comparisons now, i just think PTE patches had less flaws , plus the smoke patch team works now in 3 different games, 2017-18-19. Just an opinion nothing more and I REPEAT i RESPECT anybody who works to improve PES. Basically smokes adds much more content, unlocks more Ntional teams and clubs in other Europe, but when you push a PES to its limits , adding or unlocking so much contenet , you are going the extra mile too often.

In other new i half-got back to action, my old laptop, even my DVD-ROM which did not work, started working again for some reason. :/ I am now among 15 different pes6/5/we9le patches by @Sany023 , the god of independent retro patching :) , AMADOR, WC version, Greek Revolution patch etc, etc but i do not know which to start of, they are so many!! :P :D :) so i started some PES 15/16 MLs and i went for a @Madmac79 madness :P :P , starting a ML in PES 2011 TopPlayer, with default squad but without being able to limit my self from taking shortcuts with Shimizus, Palmieris etc. I want to bring a little more Zamenhof to the spotlight if the ML flow allows it to me.

Last edited:
Hi, at first glance it doesn't seem like there's one for WE8 but the JLWE9AC is on this list unless that's what you actually meant?

See this thread for translation patches with mega links:
https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/d...e8-we8le-jwe9ac-pes5-jwe2007cc-jwe2008.74728/
No, I mean this game:

51WV50KB8WL._AC_SX215_.jpg

I had all the patches in that thread archived, not a big fan of 9AC and the whole WE9/PES5 games.

I had all the patches in that thread archived, not a big fan of 9AC and the whole WE9/PES5 games.
Can I ask why? I've been switching back and forth between PES5, PES6 and the J-League games trying to decide on a "favourite", and the consensus of opinion seems to be that PES6 is "more arcadey" than PES5 - but I'm coming back to these games fresh and I'm not picking up on all the subtleties yet...

Can I ask why? I've been switching back and forth between PES5, PES6 and the J-League games trying to decide on a "favourite", and the consensus of opinion seems to be that PES6 is "more arcadey" than PES5 - but I'm coming back to these games fresh and I'm not picking up on all the subtleties yet...
The best J-League game to me is JLWE2007CC. I found the ball feel in 5 to be too lightweight, it bounced all over the place, and players in 5 fell over at the slightest tap making shoulder-to-shoulder duels impossible (6 overdid this, duels with high body balance became too OP)

I forgot about WE9AC, the only 9 series game I like and still consider the best football game ever made. I love it so much I shipped the PS2 DVD from Korea as a memorabilia.

Found the WEndetta Italian patch for 8AC, oh well better than nothing, at least I can read Latin characters.

Last edited:
@MafiaMurderBag and whoever other knows, is there a movie maker program FOR free that it does the same job as the old Windows Movie maker? Basic effects, one channel for video clips cropped etc and one channel for music, to make a basic music video with highlights!

Dude. what video editing program do you use? I am stuck with a bshit version of Window Movie Maker in win7 version, something like win essentials, but it is complete crap in comparison with the old winXP movie maker.

I can't comment on what the best free video editor is but check out this blog that details the best free softwares with a breakdown of their pro's and con's:
https://www.oberlo.co.uk/blog/best-free-video-editing-software

I've heard that Shotcut is one of the best video editors available and it's free, and that the best simple ones are Machete and Avidemux. I use Sony Vegas Pro 16 but i might have a look at Shotcut and see what it does!

Yeah it was the last version of PES that wasn't the same graphical fidelity as the PS4 and XBONE versions, much to the anger of the PC community. PES 2018 was the first to support 4K and have all the visual bells and whistles of the console, having said that, Konami always optimized the PC versions of PES ridiculously well, where even the last gen PES games can be made to look fantastic with some graphical tweaks and down sampling. I've had issues with PES 18 & 19 on PC with stuttering and shit despite having a decent rig to play them on, and i know i'm not the only one who's had performance issues with these new versions too.

I can't comment on what the best free video editor is ...o.
Yeah pardon me, the first part of my post, refering to you to propose a specific free video editor, was not intented to be posted. I typed it yesterday from my mobile phone, but regreted to it and today when i typed the question, about just what programm do you use, it remained from my mobile phone in the forum "RAM". Didnt even notice when i hit the post, saw it in your reply, that a part from my old un-"posted" post remained in the reply form. My bad dude. :)

Back
Top Bottom