The Retro-PES Corner

Btw, what type of music is this , funky jazz?

Yeah I would say Jazz Funk. This song is permanently ingrained on my brain due to the time I've spent in the pes6 editing mode. Only Konami could have a Jazz Funk instrumental (complete with a bass solo later on in the song) in the edit mode of a football game :) Colour of love is also in my head from pes6 as well.

Yeah I would say Jazz Funk. This song is permanently ingrained on my brain due to the time I've spent in the pes6 editing mode. Only Konami could have a Jazz Funk instrumental (complete with a bass solo later on in the song) in the edit mode of a football game :) Color of love is also in my head from pes6 as well.
Not only KONAMI unfortunately. There is a very popular radio broadcast about football-sports, every afternoon in a radio station of Athens,with a very famous anchor-man and thousands of listeners, which had a very similar song as background music for 2 hours.
The first time i listened to it, i said "wtf he is using PES edit mode track for BGM"?
Finally it was another song,very similar with same meter and tempo that triggered my subconscious, where the PES 6/edit mode BGM is rooted as the others said before.
KONAMI can borrow the idea for a future alternative BGM and @mattmid i am sure you will love it :P :P

Last edited:
Hello guys, I'm having so much fun with pes 5 fls patch.
I think 5 stars difficult is more realistic and not so easier than 6 stars.
I'm working on the option file, adding new faces and hairs, in the next weeks I will work also on chants.
Nothing is better than PES 5 :))

I'm working on the option file, adding new faces and hairs, in the next weeks I will work also on chants.
Cool to know you're enjoying it! Meanwhile, I had a very tight match with Italy on PES 3 that ended 0-0.

i don't agree ;)

pes 3, pes 4 and pes 6 are more challenging than pes 5.

and better overall.

p.s. what happend with your pes 6 06/07 patch? :)

I like pes 5 rhyhtm, the difficult to dribble and create a good action to score.
I didn't play a lot pes 3 and 4 because I must play with faces and stadiums :D

I stopped my work with pes 6. In that period I was very busy.
Now I'm working very hard on PES 5, my favourite game.
It would be an unofficial patch. Honestly, I started from FLS 2005-2006.
My work is about option file (very high details), faces and hairs, and next a lot of chants.
If you're interested I will publish it in a month :))

Last edited:
@slamsoze: For a minute I thought I was back in Grove Street, Los Santos, cruising around in my Banshee, listening to a GTA San Andreas radio station!

You know who's the real star of that game!

maxresdefault.jpg

. . . . I BET THIS FOOL PLAYED PES ON 1* DIFFICULTY

Great one as always @MafiaMurderBag

I'm 0 for 2 on my predictions so far...Portugal deserved more after that powerful second half of theirs!

Thanks. Been some tough games in these knockout stages, lots of drama as there should be.

Felt bad for Portugal after that second goal, a complete fluke and didn't expect Baia to drop and utter blunder, would've been a fantastic lob too!

I think i prefer PES 5/WE9:LE to PES 6. I love both games and they're both legendary in their own rights but for me, PES 5 is just better balanced and far more of a sim to PES 6. There's so much emphasis on contextual passing, shooting and body positioning as well as timing of tackles and it seemed to be a bit toned down in PES 6. probably a precursor to today's developers reacting to the polarizing feedback of players.

I imagine a lot of PES fans complained about, the slower pace and the volume of fouls and Konami felt under pressure to address it and re balance it rather then sticking by their guns and saying, "Sod ya, this is our vision!" But they're a business at the end of the day and they wanna appeal to as many consumers as possible, not niche purists, and this was back in 2006.

Fast forward to now and demo versions have more experimental gameplay and they panic at the twitter feedback and see all these kids players switching to PA3 at playtests and they revise the default intended settings and sweeten up the lowest assistance value.

No idea where he got it from but my brother showed up last week with his PS Classic and with ISS Pro Evo 2 (Club and NT editions for 2018) installed on.

Attacking part (all areas; shooting, dribbling, build up) in this game is a real pain in the ass, really hard but really rewarding.
Yeah, attacking play is very hard but the game is brilliant for its time, it smashed the competition and was actually voted one of the best ever PS1 games by the UK PS Magazine

ISS Pro Evo is bloody fantastic, as well as ISS Pro Evo 2. There's no other way to put it. Kids today don't have any idea how way ahead of their time these games were, I remember firing ISS Pro Evo for the first time and it blew my mind so much that no other football game ever came close to making that extraordinary first impact on me.

About PES5, if it had a good attacking AI I don't have any doubts about it: it'd be clearly one of the best PES games ever, if not the best of them all.. The game is so good that it still manages to be many people's favourite despite having a very disappointing attacking AI, because all the rest in that game is so damn enjoyable and challenging.

ISS Pro Evo is bloody fantastic, as well as ISS Pro Evo 2. There's no other way to put it. Kids today don't have any idea how way ahead of their time these games were, I remember firing ISS Pro Evo for the first time and it blew my mind so much that no other football game ever came close to making that extraordinary first impact on me.
Ditto. Nothing will ever replace that moment for me, playing ISS PE2 with friends and all of us simultaneously going "this is unbelievable" - years later WE6FE did something similar but not quite to the same degree (it wasn't as big a "jump" - we were going from SWOS and the original ISS games by a different studio, to the PE games, which was a huge leap in realism).

We'd have international tournaments practically every week - one friend would always be Romania (he dyed his hair blonde soon after the World Cup team did) and he couldn't bear losing. Football gaming went from an occasional thing to an obsession. Happy memories.

What makes me laugh is that I distinctly remember thinking about ISS PE "it is impossible for football games to get better than this" - then playing ISS PE2 and thinking "seriously, it can never get better than this can it".

What makes me really sad is that I've spent the rest of my life waiting for the next "holy shit this is 100% better, this is massively improved, this is so much more real" moment - and now I don't think it'll ever happen again, it's all incremental changes that shift away from realism.

@Chris Davies: I know what you mean with that last paragraph, and I wholeheartedly agree.

The first time I tried ISS Pro Evo I was at a party. Arrived on my friend's house right after having lunch, I was a bit early so the majority of our other friends weren't there yet. I remember it as if it was yesterday, a warm summer afternoon, sun shining bright and all that. He told me he had gotten a fantastic football game for the PlayStation, asked me if I wanted to try it out as a means to pass the time before our buddies arrived. Meh, why not? Let's go.
Well, it was such a powerful experience, I ended up playing it for the whole afternoon. I kind of wanted to go outside and play, the others were busy doing typical kids' (outdoor) stuff and playing actual football. On any other occasion, I would have joined them, as I did many times before and after that particular moment. But not that day. That day was the one in which I fell in love with the ISS-PES series.

As you say, many games were released after that one/those two ISS Pro Evos, but though we had some great versions of PES afterwards, it didn't come close to that feeling provided by that absolutely jawdropping gameplay. Probably we'll never see such a positively shocking evolution in football gaming ever again - actually, for the younger generations, all they're seeing is a graphical evolution, one could argue the gameplay is actually "de-evolving", or at the very least is pretty much stagnant minus a few tweaks here and there.

Yeah I would say Jazz Funk. This song is permanently ingrained on my brain due to the time I've spent in the pes6 editing mode. Only Konami could have a Jazz Funk instrumental (complete with a bass solo later on in the song) in the edit mode of a football game :) Colour of love is also in my head from pes6 as well.
next to "passion", the following song from the 2019 OST is really annoying to me (over time; and i played a lot this year)...
i know, i'm da man! no need to tell me all the time! :D
;)
so glad i have my spotify account linked to ps4. i'm constantly switching between the other games playlists or choosing some totally different)! :)

Ditto. Nothing will ever replace that moment for me, playing ISS PE2 with friends and all of us simultaneously going "this is unbelievable" - years later WE6FE did something similar but not quite to the same degree (it wasn't as big a "jump" - we were going from SWOS and the original ISS games by a different studio, to the PE games, which was a huge leap in realism).

We'd have international tournaments practically every week - one friend would always be Romania (he dyed his hair blonde soon after the World Cup team did) and he couldn't bear losing. Football gaming went from an occasional thing to an obsession. Happy memories.

What makes me laugh is that I distinctly remember thinking about ISS PE "it is impossible for football games to get better than this" - then playing ISS PE2 and thinking "seriously, it can never get better than this can it".

What makes me really sad is that I've spent the rest of my life waiting for the next "holy shit this is 100% better, this is massively improved, this is so much more real" moment - and now I don't think it'll ever happen again, it's all incremental changes that shift away from realism.
Ok lets open my heart.This is an other topic i wanted to discuss, the biggest UP & DOWN in pes history. The story is not linear by i will try to keep it to avoid long post.My basic profile games as footie gamer in late 90s were, ISS snes,N64,FIFA 98-99-2000 pc and Virtual Striker coin-op arcade cabinets.
(I EDITED MANY TIMES my text trying to be focused on topic).
So in 2002 i bought from a friend a second-hand Playstation.After the downhill spiral of FIFA from 2001-2003 i decides to give a try to ISS in PSx.In the beginning i was sure it will be the same or inferior to the KCEO iss2000 i owned on N64.I went to a local game store to order and the shop owner confused me with all the verses:iss,iss pro,iss pro es,iss pro es 2, pes, etc. I was so confused i bought the last one ,PES (1).I went home,insert disc, seeing the different from KCEO menus and i told my self 'Holy Fack, i bought wrong game ! :( . So i thought lets play a friendly and back to fifa :( or iss64.Starting a match and my jaw opened from the surprise!What a gameplay,what physics,shoot powergauges (virtua striker),it shows replays with the close chances omg,entrance scene,cup ceremony (after many games ),it has player editing,awesome, i could not believe it it was like i was flying in the air.After that i bought PES 2,and 2 iss pro evolution versions so my surprise was spoilled as i should try them in the different order,iss pes->pes,it was so mixed ,the only problem i had with the backwards playability was the difference in cancel button,some had Δ as cancel and some Ο.Then in a console club we tried PES 2 ps2 version,better graphics, highlights in halftime which we used to analyse for hours.So this era was the second biggest surprise .
The first one to return on topic, was when i saw in a strong PC that could handle back then, the extra demanding PES 3! My PC Graphics Card could not. :( So i went to a gaming LAN/Internet cafe, and i saw that they had PES 3, so i tried it in max settings.The surprise i felt that day was the biggest cause of a football game until today . What an atmosphere,physics,animations, the players' feet have human shape and not square shape,you can see the ball spinning in the air.If the first pes was a flight in the air, my first contact with PES 3 was a flight in space.Really very very deep impact. I could not stop thinking about PES 3.I bought the game without the ability to play it,from my hype and after 3 months i upgraded my PC graphics card which played pes3 to 6 in full specs.
The biggest DOWN was the first time i rented to try PES 2008 PC version. I remember the distance from console club to home i was thinking, what they improved, oh please god wish they have not removed anything usefull again,how will improve pes 6,what new improvement they can add to the semiperfect pes5&6?,can they really go any higher.The answer came 30 minutes after,when the installation was finished.From the first match i played the whole atmosphere was suspicious about this nextgen PES. "WTF is this i wondered in halftime and i rage quit. It was a shock.After 2002 of consecutive playing PES,this one *2008, seemed from awefull to unplayable.What will i pkay now?I was so sure that it would be a good game,that i had uninstalled pes3/4/5/6 and deleted allkl my OFs and MLs just to make space in ky PC for PES 2008,NBA 2008 AND GTA san Andreas.My old pal had a hard drive of 80gb capacity back then.In the next month i gavr many chances to 2008,even pkayed 2 seadons in ML but it was so bad game, i uninstalled and never tried it again.I only played the ps3 version which was also nextgen and seened a little bit more polished than the pc,in a good HDTV.But game play wise it was the same awefull thing.
The only good part about Pes2008 was a scarf with the "PES2008 LOGO" that came as a present with the Pc-DVD purchase.Which sadly i lost in my latest house-moving :( So now i am only left with DVD-CASE where M Owen and C. RONALDO are looking at me with their sad faces.

Last edited:
I agree with you guys. There is nothing like first time playing ISS PE. I'm also waiting fot that feeling again. Maybe one day....
I am not sure it will come again .The whole momentum was different back then.We were more imature in the technology and the game developers where some type of hippies,that created games just to make people happy.Now in 2019 it sounds crazy and totally different from today's focus and priorities : microtransactions,e-sports tournaments, shitty views from streaming.And it has not to do with nostalgia, it is just the modern-era,same for music i.e. You can't expect Justin Bieber to form a band like Beattles,Rolling Stones,even AC/DC/Iron Maiden /Metallica. Despite this he makes billions of views and money.

Waaaaay back then, I always thought: “man, that intro video... that is the future. That’s how the game will look on the pitch in 3-4 years.”
Had to wait a couple more... and still, not fully there! But I like it.
Don’t know for sure what it is tactics wise.
a: I did not care about that stuff too much when I was younger, just enjoying how different the teams played by default.
Or b:as an adult I’m more into tactics but can’t see how the teams differ too much these days by default.
Could be c: some aspects of the game changed (to worse and better) same time my perception changed (to worse or better).

From the guts: there is a big part of positive nostalgics involved for me. And that waters down some of my above stuff.
Just saying. ;)

Thanks. Been some tough games in these knockout stages, lots of drama as there should be.

Felt bad for Portugal after that second goal, a complete fluke and didn't expect Baia to drop and utter blunder, would've been a fantastic lob too!

I think i prefer PES 5/WE9:LE to PES 6. I love both games and they're both legendary in their own rights but for me, PES 5 is just better balanced and far more of a sim to PES 6. There's so much emphasis on contextual passing, shooting and body positioning as well as timing of tackles and it seemed to be a bit toned down in PES 6. probably a precursor to today's developers reacting to the polarizing feedback of players.

I imagine a lot of PES fans complained about, the slower pace and the volume of fouls and Konami felt under pressure to address it and re balance it rather then sticking by their guns and saying, "Sod ya, this is our vision!" But they're a business at the end of the day and they wanna appeal to as many consumers as possible, not niche purists, and this was back in 2006.

Fast forward to now and demo versions have more experimental gameplay and they panic at the twitter feedback and see all these kids players switching to PA3 at playtests and they revise the default intended settings and sweeten up the lowest assistance value.

I totally agree with you

You can't expect Justin Bieber to form a band like Beattles,Rolling Stones,even AC/DC/Iron Maiden /Metallica. Despite this he makes billions of views and money.
This is such a good analogy. <3

But yeah, games now are simply about microtransactions, and the promotions they get from it, not about actual design and fun... :( I mean sure the 80s was full of arcade coin-takers but at least they were fun too!

(Music also died in the early 2k10s, yeah, bands like Feeder are barely know now )

@Madmac79 I'm totally with you on that. PES2008 was the biggest let down ever in PES on PC. I just remember thinking what the hell have you done!? The menus should have been an early warning on what the game was going to deliver. As they were surely another of Konami's warped creations where they presumably sat around a table after each version to discuss what really worked well and how to best f*ck it up in the next version.

@Madmac79 I'm totally with you on that. PES2008 was the biggest let down ever in PES on PC. I just remember thinking what the hell have you done!? The menus should have been an early warning on what the game was going to deliver. As they were surely another of Konami's warped creations where they presumably sat around a table after each version to discuss what really worked well and how to best f*ck it up in the next version.

Biggest gaming disappointment for me, nothing else comes remotely close!

Back
Top Bottom