The Retro-PES Corner

:OT:
On the eve of Leeds' first league game of the season - which they won 3-1 - it was reported that Bielsa had made his players pick up litter from around the club's training ground for three hours to hammer home just how hard the fans work to be able to buy match tickets.

Marcelo Bielsa aka: El Loco, has landed in English football. If PES games had a Holy Trinity of spiritual leaders in real football. I think they would be: Marcelo Bielsa, Arsene Wenger and Zdenek Zeman.

These coaches have built teams across the world that have played the game as it was meant to be played.
:LOVE::LOVE::LOVE:

:OT:
On the eve of Leeds' first league game of the season - which they won 3-1 - it was reported that Bielsa had made his players pick up litter from around the club's training ground for three hours to hammer home just how hard the fans work to be able to buy match tickets.

Marcelo Bielsa aka: El Loco, has landed in English football. If PES games had a Holy Trinity of spiritual leaders in real football. I think they would be: Marcelo Bielsa, Arsene Wenger and Zdenek Zeman.

These coaches have built teams across the world that have played the game as it was meant to be played.
:LOVE::LOVE::LOVE:

Where is Big Sam in that list? :R1

Agree with @mattmid, makes sense since we temporarily "close" the contest on weekends, and usually people have more time to play PES exactly on those days. So @geeeeee's goal is the first entry for next week's Goal of the Week then.
@Chilleverest: Bulldozer Borges! On my save he's playing for Sporting, so I have to face him often on my domestic league. What a wonderful (and quirky) statsheet he has.
@WhoAteMeDinner: You might go around, but you always return home to PES3. That's love, indeed.
@fmicablues7: Thanks again, it's so much easier for everyone with all the goals in one single post.

These are the standings for the first-ever Retro-PES Goal of the Week challenge. If you haven't yet, cast your vote this Sunday, the last voting day - on Monday we'll know the winner.

Votes from Retro-PES Corner members :
Kaka -> 1 votes @mattmid
Kane -> 0 votes
Fredriksson -> 2 votes @Madmac79 @Chilleverest
Heinrichs -> 5 votes @miguelfcp @papinho81 @lazoli @Special4988 @MafiaMurderBag
Bellarabi -> 1 vote @fmicablues7
Baptistão -> 0 votes
Alex -> 0 votes
Larsson -> 0 votes
Scholes -> 0 votes
CPU player own goal -> 0 votes
Aliadière -> 0 votes

Last edited:
I love both Heinrichs' & Bellarabi's goals both very different but for pure spectacle it's gotta be..

Heinrichs. That's my vote.

This competition has got me nostalgic as it reminds me of both the classic PES Fan. GOTM competitions & the Official PlayStation magazines Goal contests where you'd send your recordings to them on a VHS or if you really had the nerve, your sacred memory card if you were willing to go without it for a month & trust they'd send it back.

Thankfully technology makes it easier to record & submit our goals than ever, speaks for itself how much time has passed & really how much the world has changed since these classic games. Almost like a time capsule. When I play them I'm not just playing good football games but rather, I'm a child again being greeted by the warmth of the graphics, instead of recounting stories of the previous nights master league adventures to my friends in the school yard, we finally have a sanctuary we're we can share them amongst ourselves as adults & now with video evidence to back it.

These games are 2 generations old yet still remain as magical as ever.

World Live Season - Arsenal vs Manchester City (me) 1-1
Pes 2008 (played on Konami cup as promised)

gunnerscitizens.jpg

Wonderful game! As the image already describes, Arsenal dominated me. High pressing, great possession and aggressivity.. it felt like playing against some kind of team ID :D . After a start in which they literally bombed me, I managed to score a goal with a nice exchange between Elano, Samaras and Petrov, which lead the bulgarian wing to beat the Arsenal GK. For a moment it felt like I broke their morale down, but a powerful header by Adebayor in the end of the first half gave them the starting vigor again.

The second half looked like a true Premier League game, with them always pressing hard, costant back and forths and physical battles despite the not so high number of fouls, but no more goals even thanks to my brave Schmeichel.

so it's still

World Live Season - Arsenal 1 point - 0 points Manchester City

Do you guys know if the PS2 version of PES 2008 got the "touted" AI team vision update? I am almost thinking that is what ruined Master League in the newer versions for me. I started ML's on both PES 2012 and 2014 for the PSP and it seemed like all the games became scripted. In my Tottenham 2014 ML, 18 out of 19 games were decided by 1 goal, or would just tie. It wasn't just the close score-lines, but how the game played out. It seemed to have a rubberband AI effect. If either team went up by more than 1 goal, the other team WILL find a way to score no matter what I did for tactics or such. And the same if the CPU went up by 2 goals, I would be able to score so easily. This ruins the experience for me.

Where as PES 2008 PS2/PSP my ML has seen much more realistic score lines with my Man united ML. I lost to Liverpool 3-1, beat Spurs 3-0, beat Stoke city 4-2, and then had a few closer games as well. Maybe there is a bit of scripting, but the games feel much more realistic. If a team goes down, you see them start pressing numbers forward, and I have score many goals on the counterattack because of this. This wasn't possible on the newer versions.

Just to test this theory, I started a ML on PES 5 and again have seen much more realistic scorelines and actual gameplay. I am not sure what changed from 2009-on, but it is quite noticeable when it comes to AI scripting.

Any other thoughts or input on this matter?

@mattmid: That's a good idea, let's do it. Considering the goals from this week's competition are this beautiful, I can't even imagine what a Goal of the Month or Goal of the Season would look like...

@MafiaMurderBag: I probably said these before, but I see retro-PES as I see the classic Pokemon games. Some of those games are 2 decades old, but try them out and see if you don't get hooked rightaway, despite the usual rationalizations people use to reject the experience:
- retro-PES: "Oh but the graphics...oh but the 8 directional movement...oh but no fancy player tattoos"
- classic Pokemon: "Oh but the graphics...oh but the 8-bit music...oh but some of the games are black and white and the ingame characters all look like they're 2 feet tall with 300 pounds..."
What's funny about it is that in both of these "retro-scenes", no one is giving two sh*ts about any of that because they're...entertained. When a game is good, enjoying it is a simple process.

And I have to confess, when I was thinking about creating the Corner I got inspired by the retro-Pokemon scene, where people share fan-made mods, stories, challenges...like those classic Pokemon games, retro-PES is highly accessible for anyone these days (an old PC or a PS2 is all it takes to run it) and if you are creative enough there are endless ways to entertain yourself with those platforms, whether your "thing" is editing, playing, or both.

@Special4988: I have to tell you I spent YEARS, that's right, years trying to be successful in Top Player PES09-14 PSP and failing at it. I tried many different teams and challenges but always ended up at the bottom of D2. Then, I learnt that dealing with the Super-Saiyan AI was only possible if you became THE GOD OF PES. Oh the Super-Saiyan AI just wants to score, and they do score? Then the SuperHuman God of PES scores right after. Eventually I learnt also that I could only play my PES PSP ML in absolute silence and tranquility, because if I played it in a crowded room or if I had to engage in a conversation while I was playing, I lost the PES match 100% of the times. I think I developed a third eye with my experience of having to be 150% focused on the game...

The Super-Saiyan AI is definitely there (at least on the PSP) on 09-14 versions, and it will be frustrating at first, but after a while I accepted it and just have fun.

I agree so much about classic Pokemon games, especially Crystal is absolute peak of video games. Definitely my favourite of all Pokemon games I've played.

Season 8 is underway. Won the league title on 19th Fixture. Only lost one game against Rekordmeister, who are back in the game after almost getting relegated in Season 7. League was so bland this year. Same as Season 6, there was no challenge from day one, no inspiring rivals, just battering left and right.

D1 Cup we're almost in the final after 3-0 with Longobardies in first semifinal.

WEFA Champs, we've had two dramatic games with Cataluna in group stage. First leg we've lost 2-4 (!!!) thanks to that piece of a shit goaltender Dudek, who brought great shame upon us. I gave him a last chance in the rematch and he did a mega stupid again, which promptly made me get rid of the bastard. Dumb managers of Westfalen accepted trade deal for their decent Romanian baldie Stelea in a heartbeat, thankfully. That was a transfer made during Season 8. At the end of Season 7 we've ditched Radzinski and Hakan Unsal and brought in Marmara's Fowler to further extend our British colony in Poland :D

We went through Group Stage in WEFA btw no problem (Lombardia and Lloyd being other rivals) and after 4-1 and 1-0 against Ruhr we will face Old Firm Green in the semifinal. On the other side we have Merseyside Red and Lombardia. Lazio, Milan and Veneto got all shafted in Quarterfinals, and only 1 out of 4 Italian teams remains in the game :D

And now the little clip from me, two gigantic fails by the Dudek, the worst goaltender in history of Pro Evolution Soccer 3. Not only Kelsen and Ivarov were better, even that lazy guy Zamenhof (de facto my kinsman since he's a Pollack) did better than him!!!

Enjoy two epic fails, and more of generic Windows 10 music goodness :D

My vote goes to Fredriksson btw, we need more useful goalkeepers on the market - get rid of the trash! :R1

Kaka -> 1 votes @mattmid
Kane -> 0 votes
Fredriksson -> 2 votes @Madmac79@Chilleverest
Heinrichs -> 6 votes @miguelfcp @papinho81@lazoli @Special4988 @MafiaMurderBag @geeeeee
Baptistão -> 0 votes
Alex -> 0 votes
Larsson -> 0 votes
Scholes -> 0 votes
Aliadière -> 0 votes

Sorry i voted earlier but it wasnt added. Was i supposed to add it myself like i just did?

@geeeeee I would say anything from saturday onwards should count for the next week's competition. Everyone else agree?

Ok so here it is again.

#1 Mane PES2008 PS2 Prof Level
Scored by the CPU

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Kaka -> 1 votes @mattmid
Kane -> 0 votes
Fredriksson -> 3 votes @Madmac79 @Chilleverest @Anjin
Heinrichs -> 6 votes @miguelfcp @papinho81 @lazoli @Special4988 @MafiaMurderBag @geeeeee
Baptistão -> 0 votes
Alex -> 0 votes
Larsson -> 0 votes
Scholes -> 0 votes
Aliadière -> 0 votes

Sorry @geeeeee, I missed your post somehow and didn't add you. For the future, we could follow this "model" above and have people adding their usernames themselves in front of the goalscorer's name when voting.

@Anjin: The music is rather appropriate! I think it's not the first time Dudek has let you down, I remember you posting about him a while ago.
Crystal is on my list to revisit, only played it when it was released a loooong time ago and never touched it again. Also Pokemon Yellow too, which I must've played like 20 minutes of it and that was that.

ML United - Generations Mode - PES08 PS2

After a really tough first half of season, in which we had trouble to get into any kind of rhythm, we manage to do some damage control and now, with just 4 league matches until the end of the season, we're just 3 points away from 2nd placed Benfica (Bayern is 12 points away from us as 1st placed...); and 8 points away from the 6th placed team, the last qualifying spot for the WEFA competitions. It seems that, at the very least, we'll be able to qualify for the preliminary group phase of the WEFA Championships (3rd-6th places of D1).

Anyhow, and whatever happens on these last 4 fixtures, indeed our success this season comes mostly from the cups. As I told before we've been eliminated from the WEFA Championships, therefore joining the elimination phase of the WEFA Masters Cup.
All ran smoothly on this competition once again, as we're currently the runners-up of last year, having lost only on the final against AC Milan. This time, however, a 5-2 defeat away vs. Porto on the first leg of the semifinals was a tough one to deal with, and brought me back to Earth when I was already thinking of avenging last year's finals defeat. On the 2nd leg, we had a hell of a mountain to climb. This was the perfect occasion to channel the Deus Ex Machina. The Deus PES Machina. O' mighty entity, O' divine one, allow me to see the Matrix and steer the match to my will!
10 minutes in, 1-0. 30 minutes, 2-0. If we scored one more and didn't concede, we advanced to the final. Half-time, 2-0.
3 minutes after the break, 3-0. This is happening! But 10 minutes before the final whistle, Jaric commits a penalty and it's 3-1. Now we desperately need a goal, or else we'll be eliminated. We reach the 90th minute. Nothing. 91st, nothing...92...93...Gutierrez gets the ball, one-on-one with the keeper...he curls it...and it's there!!! 4-1!!! ML United will advance to the WEFA Masters Cup final, for the 2nd year in a row!

The final will be vs. North London.

As for the D1 Cup, we won it two seasons ago on our D1 debut but lost the title last year. This season, we reach the finals vs Galatasaray after beating favourites Bayern early on on the competition.
A night neither team will ever forget. Matic and Gutierrez both with a red (top) arrow...it wasn't pretty. 5-0 for ML United and it could've been many more...this cup is the second D1-level competition we've conquered in this save (in just 3 years of competing in D1), also the second D1 Cup.
A few minutes before the final whistle, I subbed in Iouga as an homage to his legacy on the club, as he's retiring this year alongside Espimas. However, Stein is our captain and he was the one lifting the trophy, as he's now a living legend of the club as well.

w00Nnc5.jpg
gfS49SD.jpg
yvgYsLp.jpg

Last edited:
Retro-PES Goal of the Week - Week#1

The winner is... @mattmid! Thanks to Heinrichs' lovely strike - kids, don't try this at home -, he's our first Goal of the Week winner.
As for the prize, it's a Zamenhof shirt signed by the man himself, who as soon as he returns from [Parts Unknown] will surely stop by and sign it for you.

Thanks to everyone who participated and voted. Week#2 of the Retro-PES Goal of the Week is on, and as it'll become usual, until next Friday you can post your great goals here on the Corner to be voted next weekend.

@miguelfcp What a second leg against Porto! The drama that PES can provide is never ending :) I must get back to my save but I'm engrossed in adding these new leagues at the moment.

I hope Zamenhoff's shirt is the one he wore in his only (4 mins) appearance for me. Described... As new. :)

Here's my submission for Goal of the Week

I think this was from about over 35 metres, Holland just smacked it in the net from an opposition defender's header after Harte took the free kick, because of being fouled just after a throw in. (PES 3)

Amazing, really. I freaked the fuck out when I realised it went in...

PES 3 (Playstation 2) Master League Campaign (800 pts salary cap save) Season 11 / Season 3 in Division 1

Season 2 in Division 1 ends poorly, unlike my pal @miguelfcp , I took a typical PES 3 crushing Div 1 Cup Final defeat at the hands of Europort (Liverpool) EMO, Litmanen, Camara and co were too fast and strong and they won 2-1. As I said before, PES 3 is like a mean but passionate girlfriend who goes from beating the crap out of you to giving you a hug, hard to handle but impossible to leave.
:SHOCK::SHOCK::SHOCK:

Crawled into the WEFA Championships first qualification group stage in 5th place in the league like a half dead cat. Have stated well in season 3 with a win and a draw in the WEFA qualifying group at least and signed four good players (all less than 700 salary pts): Bucek, giant Slovak keeper 2.02 m, back-up for Kelsen. Tim Borowski, German DMF who can play CB as he is huge 1.94 m. Tamue, CF from Albania, big and awkward at 1.92 m, a good post player and deceptively quick being so massive a unit. And my star signing: Olembe, Cameroon AMF and SMF, rapid fast, left-footed and great technique.

Spent about two hours searching for these new signings, so no goals of the week from me, instead just signings of the week. :COAT::COAT::COAT:

I just played Chelsea v Arsenal for this weeks hmm.... i forgot what its called :P

Anyways i decided to play 2 games. In the first one i am Chelsea.

Chelsea (me) v Arsenal PES2008 PS2

Second match coming soon.

Here is the second match...

Chelsea v Arsenal (me) PES2008 PS2 Prof

Chelsea 3 v Arsenal 3 what a fantastic game. I went into a 3-0 lead in the first half realising that the CPU cannot cope when it plays with Wing Backs. But once it went 3-0 Chelsea turned on the style and we started to panic. What was great about this game is that i didnt once feel that it was scripted. They just simply notched it up a bit.

@geeeeee I was expecting it to be about 10-0 Chelsea what with you playing as Arsenal ;)

That’s one thing with me matt, i am always fair and square. When i play a cup with my brother if the team i pick gets drawn against Spurs i try to even harder to beat them because i don’t want my bro to think i am cheating. Also if i get drawn to play as Chelsea (his team) i try to play really well.

That game was excellent though. Because i could really feel the pressure. Elneny got booked as well because he dived in and i wasnt even controlling him at the time he just did it himself. All to do with the Mentality stats as we mentioned before.

Since a special kind of nostalgia striked me hard lately, I've been mildly exploring J-League Winning Eleven 2008 Club Championship.

As already said in the lost game thread, it's practically the japanese version of our beloved ps2 Pes 2008, so you know more or less what to expect in terms of gameplay even if there are some differences. The game is 99% in japanese.. every single menu, even (dramatically) player names.. there are some options, features and possibly modalities I still have to even figure out what are for.
WEmenus.jpg

(I said 99% japanese for that "NEW!!", of course)

There is little else that gets me as gaming nostalgic of the old times as the J-League. Don't know if it was common somewhere else (would like to hear a feedback from you guys!), but part of my fellow Pes community back in the days (the ones that wanted more realistic games, incidentally) used to consider especially this versions more simulative and real football representive than the european releases, mostly because the JL teams were way worse than our top leagues ones, so you had slower games with a lot more errors and variety (a concept not so different on why a lot of us love to use defaults or lesser teams). And since it was the "home" product, it felt like it was even more polished.

By the way, the game is a joy if you are a fan of that atmosphere. There is a total of 60 (sixty!) stadiums, the usual and a lot of the JL ones.. will include for you a pair of gems that literally took my breath:LOVE::

stadium2.jpg stadium1.jpg

Might even attempt a go at a long competition, even if the language barrier make it a terrible challenge and could lead to some super fail.

I'll end for now this excursus in the Land of the Rising Sun with a video of legend Bordeaux GK Ramè, coming out of the goal line exemplary against the Urawa Red Diamonds forward:

it seems keepers not staying glued on the goal line lately became an endangered species.. doing my part to save them :PRAY: :LOL:.

Here's my submission for Goal of the Week

I think this was from about over 35 metres, Holland just smacked it in the net from an opposition defender's header after Harte took the free kick, because of being fouled just after a throw in. (PES 3)

Amazing, really. I freaked the fuck out when I realised it went in...

@Rayemou , not surprised you had a canary when Mattie Holland slammed in the missile.
What a belter of a strike, first time hit on the run from thirty yards, you must have just nudged the :square: button for a nano second, as the ball dynamics in PES 3 are so sensitive. :TU::BSCARF::BEER:

I may make my eighth attempt at the old Default Originals Challenge tonight in PES 6 edition. My main man @miguelfcp has provided some jewels of tips and the PES 5 Online manual is as good for the next game too and it is stuffed with additional information you thought never existed.

Snack time for me. :SNACK:

As I'm currently going to test my Premier League I thought I'd play through next week's fixtures over the week.

Started with Cardiff (me) v Newcastle

Matt Ritchie (cpu) almost put in a contender for Goal of the Week with a cracking shot as you'll see on the highlights.

Did some edited highlights but the file was way to o big so knocked the quality down a bit instead.

I love the way at the end one of the Cardiff players is consoling the keeper after his error, knocking the ball back out into the six yard box, led to the first goal.

Cardiff 0-2 Newcastle

@WhoAteMeDinner Some tips after my efforts on PES6

1 Don't let Castolo anywhere near the first team
2 Use Burchet as a super sub, he can give a real threat for about 30 minutes and just about make the next game!
3 Try to use Dodo as much as possible as he developed really well for me and with Stein gives a bit of steel in midfield in the early seasons.
4 Huylens had a decent first season before putting him out to graze.
5 Maybe partner him with Hamsun when you can to get him to develop into the battering ram he became for me.
6 Don't try lofted through balls with Valeny, fairly obvious but I did it a couple of times when he was full back and he put them in the crowd. I kid you not!
7 Minanda in behind the strikers, low defence to save his stamina. Unless you're going to hoof it Big Sam style :LOL:

I am seeing something that remembers me the old days and would like to ask if i am the only one having this "issue" ,or it is common. In PES 6 ML, my RB's stamina depletes extremelly fast in comparison with my rest players. No matter if i have a low stamina RB or a J. Zanetti style , and individual order only high defence without attacking arrow, he is always the first player that gets in the "red" stamina, only occasionally maybe he will be one of the three with lowest stamina.

Back
Top Bottom