The Retro-PES Corner

I'd like to make another entrant in the Goal of the week comp. Bit of an older goal from me, but it's from my EURO 2004 series I did on PES6 where I played as all 16 teams, the tourney is on my Youtube channel in the description if you'd like to check it out, great memories and was a lot of fun.

Germany faced Holland in the final fixture of the group and needing a win to qualify for the knockout stage in Porto. Scoring with the '04 class was like pushing an elephant up the stairs, the Dutch were in form and a 19 year old Bastian Schweinsteiger makes his first start.. and an impact.

#2. Schweinsteiger
K8g7a2D.gif

I'm so happy. I managed to get a stable 60fps PES 2008 Native x2 on PCSX2.

The key thing is to download the dev build version of PCSX2. And also important, select 60Hz (NTSC) and not 50Hz (PAL), when you launch the game. I still have annoying flickering on players hair sometimes, but it runs very smoothly.

Here are the dev builds :
https://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/

That's an awesome find! Just tried it.. it is MUCH more smoother than the stable version, practically console quality I'd say. I still get some not really bothering slowings here and there, but I think it's physiological.. and Ps2 had slowings too if I remember correctly.

By the way I seriously need to play again WE9 LE.. I'm sure I did more than a Master League and couldn't remember the cpu attacking being much better than Pes 5, but since both you and @mattmid are saying the opposite it's well worth to revisit it.

By the way I seriously need to play again WE9 LE.. I'm sure I did more than a Master League and couldn't remember the cpu attacking being much better than Pes 5, but since both you and @mattmid are saying the opposite it's well worth to revisit it.

The only thing I did find was the AI tended to be patient quite a lot, sort of a Man City when they are up against a parked bus, passing it around trying to drag you out of position, quite clever ai but sometimes I did think, come on hurry up and make a move :LOL:

Regarding the 'PES 5 verses WE9LE debate'...

Actually maybe I should call it the 'PES5 (PS2) verses PES5 (PC) and WE9LE (PC) debate'...

Personally I prefered PES5 on the PS2 simply because I find it less responsive. When I played PES5 and WE9LE on the PC I felt like I was playing tika-taka all the time because as soon as I pressed the pass button it hmm... passed (obviously) but it was just too quick too responsive. I prefer that very slight delay maybe its 0.00001 second or something but it feels better on the PS2 because it feels like the player has thought about the pass.

I remember having this conversation with Soyo (or Lukasz) and Viktoristus. Two guys that really brought WE9LE to many people's attention on evo-web. I wonder what happened to them.

I started a ML "tester" on WE9LE with Manchester United. I chose a big team to see how challenging the cpu can be. Had a tense first game away against Tottenham. I was two times in front thanks to Wayne Rooney's free kick and long range effort, but the Spurs equalised two times by Defoe in a "fox in the box" style. Really great game.

@MafiaMurderBag: Great goal man, but if it wasn't scored this week it can't be considered for Goal of the Week.
(...)
- From every Monday to Friday, you can submit one or more goals, as long as that goal was scored in that same week.
(...)

@Rayemou: Links for editing programs for each game is definitely a good idea. I mentioned before that team guides would be interesting to do, but given we consider Retro-PES any PES game which is not the current one, there'd be many hundreds of teams to be done...thousands even? I'd like to do something in the style of the PES5 Guide, which details every team's strengths and weaknesses.

@MafiaMurderBag: Great goal man, but if it wasn't scored this week it can't be considered for Goal of the Week.

@Rayemou: Links for editing programs for each game is definitely a good idea. I mentioned before that team guides would be interesting to do, but given we consider Retro-PES any PES game which is not the current one, there'd be many hundreds of teams to be done...thousands even? I'd like to do something in the style of the PES5 Guide, which details every team's strengths and weaknesses.
I personally consider every PES before PES 2009 "retro PES" since they seem to be the most loved ones... but yeah, that'd be a good idea too uwu

https://www.retro-pes.ml/files/ - here we go, editing programs will go in this folder, I might make it better organised in future tho haha

Last edited:
@Rayemou: If you ask @rockstrongo he'll tell you that he is enjoying PES13 (though is on a break from it currently), some play PES11, I've played a lot of PES10...and then there's the PSP/PS2 versions until PES2014, all of them are really good. That's why when I created the Corner I considered every PES which is not the latest to be Retro, because it fits the motto of the Corner: we never truly enjoyed every game to the max., because yearly releases of a new game of the series prevent us from doing so. And while some PES versions could be considered "better" than others (which is still subjective...), there's always something to be enjoyed on every version, even the most recent ones. Certainly some older versions are more popular but we encourage everyone to try them all - the whole catalog of the series - and find ways to have fun with all of those games. Then, as people begin to experiment and dive deeper than they've ever been on those games, who knows if gems like PES2011 or the misunderstood PES14 won't become as popular too in the future...

I have PES11 actually and it's not too bad. I think you're right ^^

We could extend it to all but the latest version, but my primary focus is what it says on the frontpage, because they're the most popular, but you're absolutely right, even the nextgen games and such should be there because archival and preservation, and as you say there could be a revived interest some day what with the kids growing up now...

Okay so I have two nominations for Goal of the Week (which is excellent idea tbh), one is my own goal [P1] and another is CPU's effort, although it definitely didn't help them in that case.

I had a really rough game against Weser, dayum they suck so much dick! Always lucky in the back, they just hang on the draw and send long balls to Ailton and Charisteas - when Dudek's in goal it always means a disaster! But not this time. Their wall has collapsed thanks to Scholes long range power kick out of nowhere. Thanks to that they've opened up, quickly got countered in the face and we've got very important W against one of the very few teams which can reliably stop us.

And now for the CPU's goal, this one got me soo hard :D It was D1 Cup game, contest was long over it was like 8-0 on aggregate at this point and then #5 in Haupstadt's defence helped us get another one in...oh well, just see for yourself :D

Those would be my nominations. If I can have only one then pick Scholes goal, second one is just banter :D

I am off to play some PES 3 later on, Season 7 goes on. I have a lot of things to consider though, as it seems I might be leaving Poland this autumn (complicated stuff). I am heavily considering Ireland, especially Dublin. Anyone living in those parts? Just wondering :D

Okay so I have two nominations for Goal of the Week (which is excellent idea tbh), one is my own goal [P1] and another is CPU's effort, although it definitely didn't help them in that case.

I had a really rough game against Weser, dayum they suck so much dick! Always lucky in the back, they just hang on the draw and send long balls to Ailton and Charisteas - when Dudek's in goal it always means a disaster! But not this time. Their wall has collapsed thanks to Scholes long range power kick out of nowhere. Thanks to that they've opened up, quickly got countered in the face and we've got very important W against one of the very few teams which can reliably stop us.

And now for the CPU's goal, this one got me soo hard :D It was D1 Cup game, contest was long over it was like 8-0 on aggregate at this point and then #5 in Haupstadt's defence helped us get another one in...oh well, just see for yourself :D

Those would be my nominations. If I can have only one then pick Scholes goal, second one is just banter :D

I am off to play some PES 3 later on, Season 7 goes on. I have a lot of things to consider though, as it seems I might be leaving Poland this autumn (complicated stuff). I am heavily considering Ireland, especially Dublin. Anyone living in those parts? Just wondering :D
@WhoAteMeDinner lives in Ireland I think.

As promised, the Retro-PES maniacs here will be taking the Retro-PES experience to higher levels of mania. We started with the Retro-PES Goal of the Week challenge, which will be running every week (remember today, Friday, is the last day you're able to submit your goal or goals, tomorrow and Sunday we'll just be voting), but we're not done, we want more.

It's fair to say, Retro-PES games seem to age like fine wine. If you're tipsy on it, this next challenge will get you flat-out drunk.

We're proud to introduce The Retro-PES Corner's...

World Live Season
How to play:
- From Monday to Sunday, check out the real-life current league fixtures to be played in that week;
- Choose one or more of those fixtures to play on any Retro-PES game you want. You can play how many fixtures you prefer of the same matchweek (and of how many leagues you want), and you can play the same fixture multiple times. Example: Manchester United vs. Leicester, Fixture 1 (10/08/2018)
- Choose a side, CPU vs CPU is not allowed. (ex: Manchester United)
- Play the match and post a screenshot here on the Corner as proof of the result. (ex: 2-0, Manchester wins)
- If you won the match, add 1 point to the team who you led to a win. If you lost, add a point to the CPU controlled team who beat you. If you drew, don't add points to neither team. (Ex: after a 2-0 Manchester win, United is leading 1-0 on the World Live Season fixture). Each user who posts a new World Live Season fixture he has played updates the score himself when he posts.
- After the last real-life league fixture matchday, the team who accumulates more points wins the World Live Season fixture (Ex: Manchester United 12-8 Leicester, United wins).
- After Sunday, there's a new week of more real-life fixtures to be played in Retro-PES. (ex: Premier League's Fixture 2: Chelsea vs Arsenal)

Do I have to have updated squads to play? Absolutely not! The matchup has to have the clubs who are facing each other in real-life, but you don't have to have the 2018 rosters of the teams. If you have a modern patch or option file you can use it as a platform, but I for example will not be using updates at all...so if I choose to play the upcoming Arsenal - City, I'll be using the default database of whatever PES I prefer, be it the one from games such as PES2015 or PES6.
Naturally, just because you can use an option file I trust you not to upgrade all of the players of the team you'll be using to 99, or something like that.

How long can the matches be and on what difficulty do we play the game? That's entirely up to you. Depending on the Retro-PES game I play I like 15/20 min. matches on the hardest setting, but everyone's allowed to set the match up as he prefers.

If I participate once, do I have to participate every week? No. You play whenever you want, whichever fixture you want, how often you want. It's up to you. What matters in the end is not how many and which Evo-Web users participate, but rather which club wins...be it by a 4-3 score or a 45-37: so we keep track of the wins, not of who contributed for those results.

--If you have any further doubt, leave a post.

When posting a fixture of the World Live Season (WLS), here's what you have to post:
- Screenshot of the match result;
- Updated score of the WLS fixture (ex: before your match it was Manchester United 7-5 Leicester. You've just won the match with Leicester, so update the score to Manchester United 7-6 Leicester)
- further details about the match, if you feel like writing or posting other images, gifs, videos about it.

Let the games begin!

Last edited:
Second game of the season, home against Blackburn and a good victory for us 2-0. A penalty obtained by Ronaldo's diving :R1 and converted by Ruud. Ruud then also gave an assist to Ronaldo, who scored in the left corner of the goal.
Third game and a big blow for United. We lost against Celtic away 2-1. The first half, we started badly and defense was outplayed in a good move from Celtic, Aliadière was through on goal and scored. Then, we equalised in the second half with a penalty obtained and scored by the veteran Solskjaer. But then, this happened :

Goal of the Week #1 : [CPU] Aliadière vs Manchester United

I was totally caught off guard, i was expecting Aliadière to cut in but instead he unleashed that screamer ! They said WE9LE CPU can't attack ? Well, that was the answer.

So yesterday i had some time to play but i did not played my pes6PECH ML with defaults neither my Romaldinho Challenge in pes2008. I though that as BAL seems to be near extinction in this pes 19, or next year, i should try a little bit this mode, as i always was saying lets try it latter and never gave it the love it deserved.I booted BALs in many versions and played the first two matches in pes 2011pc/2013pc ,pes2014 ps2 and pes2018* ps4. In the 2018 BAL i expected it would have the most foofery and faffery as it is the most modern. Despite that the mode in 18 is the most nude/blatant and half-arsed of everything. I just played matches and got subbed when i was out of stamina when in an older one,which i played 8 years ago,i remember when i did some site in a match , the coach used to show me that i was faked up!I stayed cleaning the bench for many games!I wonder why did KONAMI accused the players that they don't show interest when from their side they abandoned BALL years ago.

Pes2018* : As from the demo technicaly and from the end of the month witl the full release of 19 officially,will 18 considered retro,not quality wise just from ontopic or offtopic perspective? :P

Season 7 has ended, we've won it all, let's go over the tables:

pes3 10-08-2018 21-08-32-390.png

While we are not The Unbeatables this season, it was still a pretty decent run. Ruhr and Weser accompanied me for a bit, but yeah they ran out of steam soon enough and we've got trophy after game #23, when temperature in Ruhr reached -15 master league points :D Look at the Rekordmeister!!! What the heck happened! And we've played a few games this season and they truly aren't that bad on the pitch. Sadly they've won play-off stage no problem and secured spot in D1. Imagine if they got relegated :D

I had one Master League like that back in PES 6 Phoenix Patch, yeears ago. Playing as Bursaspor in mixed Italian-Eastern League, I've had Roma, Lazio, Milan and Inter drop down to D2. My main league rivals were Fenerbahce and Dinamo Kiev. It was weird.

Either way, I more or less know what to expect from my league rivals. Special shoutout to Prague, led by our former frontman Barbonez, he gets in about ten goals every season. Lisbonera on the other hand relies only on Nuno Gomez, he was top scorer this season with 20 goals :D Keznan, Bermar and Oli were right behind him.

pes3 10-08-2018 21-08-39-207.png

Surprise surprise - it wasn't PLC - RHR final for like fourth time in a row! Hanseaten and Haupstadt were disposed of no problem. We've met Rekordmeister in a final and what a scary final it was! To be honest at that time alcohol kicked in (don't ask) and I've had massive troubles. Keznan's lucky equaliser in 90th minute saved us from total disaster, losing the trophy at the hands of a team from relegation zone. I wasn't aware of golden goal rule in D1 Cup Final and Keznan's finishing goalshot from 104th minute ended the contest. Rekordmeister honestly was trying to fight back! Whatever happened to them in the league?

pes3 10-08-2018 21-08-44-223.png

Commonwealth has reclaimed title of the Best Football Team on Earth after shamefur dispray in last season's final against Cataluna. Guadalquivir, despite having Chivu, Cafu(!) and Roberto Carlos(!!!) in the back were utter wank, forgettable 5-1 and 3-0 wins came as a surprise, I thought they'd be way tougher to break. Italy and Spain get sent home in the other quaterfinals too, and two semifinals are league derbies in the East and North.

Hanseaten are curious team. They aren't that impressive, but Pieckenhagen in the goal can stop almost everything, and whenever Bergkamp or Meijer up front have a good day, matches can quickly turn into disastrous slog. This time we were lucky however. 1-4 (alcohol kinda went out) and 1-1 (it kicked back in again) meant we are through in the final. It was supposed to be a celebration of beautiful game, North London led by Henry and Mostovoi are one of the sexiest teams around but no, cause this time Robbie Keane had something to celebrate about, he's single-handedly brought North East London into the Season 7 WEFA Championship Finals...

pes3 10-08-2018 20-39-35-582.png
pes3 10-08-2018 20-39-40-331.png

And final was totally forgettable as well, although Robbie's longshot from 30 metres hit the crossbar early on and terrorized me a bit. Sheringham got beaten down by Ignashevich, and no one else mattered. Keller had some quality saves in the second half, but after Zaoric's 1 v 1 finish and two powerful goalshots by our main man Keznan it was 3-0 already. Unsurprisingly, we've won the whole thing and with treble in our hands order of the PES world is restored again.

pes3 10-08-2018 20-53-33-774.png

Off to Season 8. I don't even need to make transfers, but maybe I can trade some people. I was thinking of a shakeup, but this team is damn hot as it is. It's by far the most memorable team of all my Master Leagues ever so far. It's just a pleasure leading these lads on the pitch and brutalizing team which is on the other side of that green zone marked by white lines.

I always knew Master League is about building fantastic football team, but I'd always end at the peak. And now, I just wanna keep going. Forever and ever :D

Cheers!

@slamsoze: Conversation about PES18 will "open up" here as soon as 19 is released, but it's indeed a good point you're making about the lack of evolution of BaL over the years. It had potential to be a gamechanger for football games, like MyPlayer was for NBA2K. I played BaL the most on PES13 actually, made it to the 6th or 7th season, and despite being a rather simplistic, "barebones" mode (again when compared to NBA2K's MyPlayer) it was still quite enjoyable and addictive.
Can't help but think of how great this game mode would have become if developers had truly cared about it, but I also understand that BaL came around when the online scene was booming with FIFA's Ultimate Team, and we all know that the money lies there as present-day myClub proves it, so offline modes which provide no additional revenue for developers are let to die a painfully slow death.

@Anjin: It's always great to see you're still motivated to go on with the save, despite your domination. I think the gimmick of creating the Commonwealth must've helped immensely. It proves how ML saves can be even more enjoyable if we're able to build interesting storylines (even if just in our heads) around it.

World Live Season // Premier League Fixture 1

Arsenal vs. Manchester City --> North London vs. Man Blue (P1) - PES2008 PS2
22X6zj3.jpg

The World Live Season kicks off, and I decided to play tomorrow's real-life fixture Arsenal vs Manchester City for the 1st fixture of the Premier League 18/19, which on PES08 PS2 translates into playing a North London vs Man Blue matchup.
Unlike in real-life, Man Blue is nowhere near the level of quality of Manchester City. There are a few interesting players like Hamann or Elano but North London has Cesc Fabregas, Van Persie...a much better team overall.
After 0 total shots on goal on the first half, North London scores on their first attempt by Hleb (48'), which would be the only goal scored on the match.
With this 1-0 win, the CPU helps Arsenal win their first point for the World Live Season of the Retro-PES Corner.

World Live Season - Arsenal 1 point - 0 points Manchester City

@fmicablues7 could you tell me which version of WE9 LE are you playing? I played 5 ML games (6 stars of course) with a 17/18 patched one and I just took one goal, but it's full of overhaul tactics and stats so maybe this is screwing the game somehow.

@miguelfcp really nice idea for this challenge! Will contribute for sure.

@miguelfcp Seeing as I am up to E on the Premier League editing and two sides in the early alphabet will meet this weekend I will play Bournemouth v Cardiff as my first test game with them in a few minutes. I'll play as Bournemouth.

Oh and I'm going to play it as a cup final rather than exhibition as I'm never quite sure if the AI gives it's all with nothing on the game as such.

@Madmac79 If you download the sany installer one it's the original, maybe try that?

Thanks @mattmid ..! I already have an installer that should be pretty vanlla except from the kitserver.. will try that one.

I also agree that the challenge should be played as a Cup match!

It's Saturday, so it's not possible to submit any more goals for the Goal of the Week challenge. Now, it's time to vote! Today and Sunday every user can choose his favourite goal. Carefully look for users' Goal of the Week submissions on the posts they've made over the last week to watch all the goals that have been submitted - the first was made by @MafiaMurderBag, post #2086 of the thread.

My vote:
@mattmid - Heinrichs (PES6PC) - post #2097

@Anjin heh heh I loved those goals but the music... i almost wet myslf. :LOL:

It reminded me of this guys post from about two years ago.

The music is hilarious. I lost it on the fourth track at around 04:40 :LOL: :LOL:

It look me about 20mins to find this post in the PES2016 thread :P

Last edited:
Thanks @geeeeee, when I watched Anjin's goals I didn't have the sound on. My god, the song from that second goal was totally unexpected :LMAO:
That one and the video you just posted just opened up a whole new world of comedy I had no idea it existed...

It's generic music from Win10 app called Pictures? Idk English name, just random tune I've added to cut out the original sound, I usually have some livestreams in the background, no point in having them as a sound.

Oh well :D

With a lively South American band playing in the middle of Dorset, England (due to playing in what was a section of the option file occupied with accompanying chants from San Lorenzo, which meant a lot of absent minded foot tapping during the game :D ) the game kicked off.

Cardiff new boy Bobby Reid thought he had a debut goal on 10 minutes after Begovic saved a shot and he was first to the rebound, stooping low to head into the net, only to be flagged offside. However it only served to spring Bournemouth into life and 5 minutes later Gosling had put them in front with, if we're to be honest, something of a fortunate strike that he swung at with his weaker foot that looped over a helpless Etheridge in the Cardiff goal. 1-0 Bournemouth. A lead soon extended after a header from Smith at a corner was parried by Etheridge onto the bar where it fell kindly to Pugh, who had the simple task of tapping it over the line. Etheridge will feel he could have done better with the initial header. On 30 minutes it got worse for Cardiff as Wilson headed in a third.

Pugh added a fourth in the second half as Bournemouth ran out easy 4-0 winners. I haven't changed any formations yet and Cardiff, who as a newly promoted team are up against it anyway, were playing a 3-1-3-3 which left them totally exposed several times.

There was something of an altercation after the game after Neil Warnock (and for those who've never seen it his name is an anagram of Colin Wanker :D ) accused Bournemouth of over celebrating.

win.jpg
score.jpg

Bournemouth 1pt - 0 Cardiff

"you know son, your generation is too spoiled. Back in my day, you only got medals when you won a competition, not when you won a mere league fixture, goddammit!"

Back
Top Bottom