The Retro-PES Corner

Haven't been in here in a few weeks,nice to see "we're" alive and kicking
Been way to hot to play,and I'm on a massive racing fix (wrooom) will start my 2nd season on 13 soon though.

First year I'm out of the loop,haven't even DL 19 demo.
Feels kinda good
Take care lads,speak to you all in a while

@mattmid: I remember you had a system of "translating" FM stats onto a retro-PES statsheet. If that system really works, combine that with the excel file with FM stats that @Titch spoke of, and also with the new import function, and you have a truly limitless retro-PES experience.
How do you export FM stats onto excel?
About the Bible, one of the things that surprised me is those "scouting reports" of the teams in the game by the end of the book.
Sem Título.png
This is the kind of insightful writing about the game that makes the reader eager to play it. To me, the words on this screenshot alone beat any gameplay video one might watch.

@WhoAteMeDinner: Spot on. In my opinion, if you want to evolve your football game you should never be reducing the amount of player stats, actually that number should be increasing to improve player individuality. But as we know nowadays it's all about online gaming so developers want to keep it simple. This explains the DREADFUL overall player rating you also spoke of: instead of spending a few minutes getting to know your players' statsheets in detail, you look at those ratings and that's it. The problem is, overall ratings tell you absolutely nothing. They tell you Player A is "85 good", Player B is "69 average" and therefore Player A should play instead of Player B. But "85 good" at what? He's "1 point better" than Player C who's "84 good"? What is this? In Retro-PES, if you want to know how good your player really is you have to study his whole statsheet and then imagine a playing style for your team in which he could be valuable.
I often use Latvia on my PES5 World Cup adventures and despite the fact that they have much more complete strikers, with more balanced statsheets overall, I always choose a 1,90cm panzer who literally sucks at everything besides his fantastic Balance and decent aerial game. Why? Because I know I'll be having to use him as a post player often and he's the only one in the squad who does it properly. On modern-PES I can't believe how low his overall rating would be, but the overall rating not only does not tell you anything palpable about the player, it doesn't demonstrate how the value of a player is not an exact science, it depends on many factors such as the way you're going to utilize him on pitch. If I use that 190cm panzer to dribble out an entire defense, his rating will seem a 30; if I use him to hold off opponents and bomb long balls for him, he'll play like a 85.
Overall ratings helped dumbing down the experience.

@Rayemou: I'm all up for a wiki, but before thinking of setting it up, we've got to think about what content would we fill it with. For example, one way to start would be to write modern-day reviews on Retro-PES games, for readers to understand with "2018 lenses" the exact value of playing those games these days - the only reviews of classic games such as PES3 or PES5 are a decade and a half old...

Been way to hot to play,and I'm on a massive racing fix (wrooom) will start my 2nd season on 13 soon though.

Feels kinda good

Welcome back mate. Was wondering where did you go just some time ago :D !

I played 2019 demo and IMHO you aren't losing much. I simply still don't see the depth we search for. Seems like it will be another full season of retro-pessing for me :D .

@rockstrongo: Glad to see you back here man...indeed we are, the machine is running smoothly. When you can, catch up on what's been happening over here. For example, we have a Retro-PES Goal of the Week challenge - read the post where I announce it to know the details if you want to participate.

Feels kinda good
Welcomeback rock.Thought you went in vacation.I was betting my wages that you were in an isolated sandy beach in a little island,leaving behind all tech staff for a while consoles,mobile phone,pc etc.A hermit style vacation, with only swimming, eating and drinking some beers.
Nice to see you back in action.

@Rayemou: I'm all up for a wiki, but before thinking of setting it up, we've got to think about what content would we fill it with. For example, one way to start would be to write modern-day reviews on Retro-PES games, for readers to understand with "2018 lenses" the exact value of playing those games these days - the only reviews of classic games such as PES3 or PES5 are a decade and a half old...
That's a good idea! On each game page we could have reviews of the game by our members, idk, something like that. Forward me a better idea if you like ^^
Also, is there any particular wiki software we can use? MediaWiki doesn't seem to be installable from a iPhone and I don't have a PC... PMWiki looks quite nice (which is what TVTropes uses), it'd have to be powered by PHP since I don't really want to be installing many things in Apache... ^^

Welcome back mate. Was wondering where did you go just some time ago :D !

I played 2019 demo and IMHO you aren't losing much. I simply still don't see the depth we search for. Seems like it will be another full season of retro-pessing for me :D .
Yeah,seems like it,I read @Chris Davies take on it,and we usually see things the same way.
Seems a bit fast right?
Thanks mate,I'll be back banging in screamers with Betis in no time

Welcomeback rock.Thought you went in vacation.I was betting my wages that you were in an isolated sandy beach in a little island,leaving behind all tech staff for a while consoles,mobile phone,pc etc.A hermit style vacation, with only swimming, eating and drinking some beers.
Nice to see you back in action.
Ha ha, you're pretty much right mate, swimming,catched some sun,saw a few games,but I'm getting the urge for some retro Pes again
Thanks @slamsoze

@rockstrongo: Glad to see you back here man...indeed we are, the machine is running smoothly. When you can, catch up on what's been happening over here. For example, we have a Retro-PES Goal of the Week challenge - read the post where I announce it to know the details if you want to participate.
Thanks pal.
Will catch up on the action,great idea with a goal of the week campaign.
Missed hanging out here,fav place and fav people

Couple of random gifs first off, lord knows what's going on with my defence here put it's an easy unlocking pass from Ryan Giggs, it's all on Bellamy but it smashes it as hard as he can as the angle tightens but is greeted by the woodwork.

YhCoeQh.gif

Secondly, a frustrating stalemate in Paris but a pretty fantastic save from Barthez to deny Van Nistlerooy from close range in my best chance of the game to prevent the win on the road.

7pl1y4T.gif
Defense out for a few beers there mate.
Great GIFs as always

@rockstrongo I see Hammarby are still right there, do you think you can get the better of AIK in the end? I guess you can't write Norrkoping off yet? By the way how do you pronounce that? I think one of their players was at the world cup and the commentator mentioned he played for Norshopping - is that the way it's said then?

Oh and Betis - is it the kit? :)

@miguelfcp There's an FM18.csv file that you can load up in excel (absolutely huge, around 240k players!) That's where I'm taking them from. So yes in theory if the team is in FM and has enough real players in it then you can put them into PES :) There's still some work involved to get it ready to paste into the export ready to import but that final stage of getting into PES is now about a million times faster. :) I'm still evolving with my conversions and have indeed slightly amended a couple today after reading some of the pes5 manual.

Now, before this import, this would now mean having to repaste every single player individually into the pes editor and even at just the Bundesliga and 14 teams done of the Spanish Primera that is already 856 players I'd have to do that on to get the amended stats into the game. Now all I have to do is paste those players over the one's in the export and re import. A 10-15 minute job, instead of probably 15 minutes per team and aching fingers from control c, control v 856 times!

So that's another beauty of it, you can now make a change in how you convert something and within half hour you're testing it out. Imagine finishing an OF and having to re input/paste in 2-3000 players again!

@rockstrongo I see Hammarby are still right there, do you think you can get the better of AIK in the end? I guess you can't write Norrkoping off yet? By the way how do you pronounce that? I think one of their players was at the world cup and the commentator mentioned he played for Norshopping - is that the way it's said then?

Oh and Betis - is it the kit? :)
Norr-koping in English I guess.
In Swedish/Danish Norrköbing.
I'm pretty much certain we snatch a top three place, hopefully 1st,to bad aik was knocked out of The EL,that would have caused some problems balancing both league and EL.

It's a very tight race,can't write of N-köping, we're playing them on Monday btw so a point,or a win there would be massive.
Plus we signed a new player the other day,Rodic from Silkeborg,didn't have the best of season there,but was massive when playing here in Sweden for Malmö and took em to the CL.
So things are good man

Yeah Betis is down to the kits,at least at first,we green&white stick together.

I'm so happy. I managed to get a stable 60fps PES 2008 Native x2 on PCSX2.

The key thing is to download the dev build version of PCSX2. And also important, select 60Hz (NTSC) and not 50Hz (PAL), when you launch the game. I still have annoying flickering on players hair sometimes, but it runs very smoothly.

Here are the dev builds :
https://buildbot.orphis.net/pcsx2/
Im such a noob on this. But i guess you need bios to run the dev builds ? Where do you get those ? I'd love some assist on this matter. I tried running a dev build, but the bios was missing. I had bios for regular psx2, didnt work. :BRICK:

Edit: I'd be more than thankful if there was a step by step process.

@WhoAteMeDinner Some really good players back then and during the earlier Jack Charlton years. Some of them were even Irish ;) And I am just kidding cos I know words on a screen don't always translate that :)

@Titch :LOL: Foofery and Faffery taken to an all new level :D

@mattmid , correction matters, Big Jack was a full-time fisherman by then and we were no longer launching the ball into orbit for every attack as Mick McCarthy was the gaffer then and we were playing some good stuff. Oh and Kevin Kilbane (Zinedine Kilbane to the Green Army) explains well what being Irish really means. Born and raised in England, but to Irish parents, who grew up in England too and yet:

"One particularly significant story during his early playing days with Preston begins with a team meeting being called by then youth team manager and boyhood idol of Kilbane’s Sam Allardyce. Big Sam reveals that one of his players has been called up to England’s U18s squad and, as Kilbane looks around the room attempting to guess which of his team-mates has been picked, it is announced that he is in fact the “lucky one”.

Kilbane describes feeling his heart sink. Unable to disappoint his manager, he eventually plucks up the courage to pay a visit to his office the next day to explain that his wish is to represent Ireland. Furious at hearing the news, Allardyce tells the teenager to “f*** off” before ordering him to leave."

http://www.the42.ie/kevin-kilbane-interview-irishness-1147307-Oct2013/

@mattmid: I remember you had a system of "translating" FM stats onto a retro-PES statsheet. If that system really works, combine that with the excel file with FM stats that @Titch spoke of, and also with the new import function, and you have a truly limitless retro-PES experience.
How do you export FM stats onto excel?
About the Bible, one of the things that surprised me is those "scouting reports" of the teams in the game by the end of the book.
View attachment 5443
This is the kind of insightful writing about the game that makes the reader eager to play it. To me, the words on this screenshot alone beat any gameplay video one might watch.

@WhoAteMeDinner: Spot on. In my opinion, if you want to evolve your football game you should never be reducing the amount of player stats, actually that number should be increasing to improve player individuality. But as we know nowadays it's all about online gaming so developers want to keep it simple. This explains the DREADFUL overall player rating you also spoke of: instead of spending a few minutes getting to know your players' statsheets in detail, you look at those ratings and that's it. The problem is, overall ratings tell you absolutely nothing. They tell you Player A is "85 good", Player B is "69 average" and therefore Player A should play instead of Player B. But "85 good" at what? He's "1 point better" than Player C who's "84 good"? What is this? In Retro-PES, if you want to know how good your player really is you have to study his whole statsheet and then imagine a playing style for your team in which he could be valuable.
I often use Latvia on my PES5 World Cup adventures and despite the fact that they have much more complete strikers, with more balanced statsheets overall, I always choose a 1,90cm panzer who literally sucks at everything besides his fantastic Balance and decent aerial game. Why? Because I know I'll be having to use him as a post player often and he's the only one in the squad who does it properly. On modern-PES I can't believe how low his overall rating would be, but the overall rating not only does not tell you anything palpable about the player, it doesn't demonstrate how the value of a player is not an exact science, it depends on many factors such as the way you're going to utilize him on pitch. If I use that 190cm panzer to dribble out an entire defense, his rating will seem a 30; if I use him to hold off opponents and bomb long balls for him, he'll play like a 85.
Overall ratings helped dumbing down the experience.

@miguelfcp , Great point about kinda rubbish looking players being in fact the absolute game winners in your ML teams. Look at Harts in early PES games, flippin' unplayable as a COM opponent, yet stats are average.:FISH:

Last edited:
@WhoAteMeDinner We could have done with him on the left of our midfield :)

@mattmid , he would not have played for England even at gunpoint. Sorry mate. :SHOCK::SHOCK::SHOCK:
110 Ireland caps, fourth on the all-time list. Once saw him play at Lansdowne Road for us in a meaningless friendly, he looked injured and played the whole game. Him and Paul McGrath are the real embodiment of those PES players playing on with a white bandage around their injured legs.

I am in full-on Green Mania now, sorry. :GSCARF::GSCARF::GSCARF:

@Rayemou: It's just an idea, but besides those reviews I don't know what else could we put on a wiki. That's why I tell you that first we should come up with those ideas, write content about it, and then we could think of "immortalizing" it on a page or wiki.

@mattmid: That's just music to the ears of any editing aficionado. Like I said, you must be on "editing Heaven" right now with all the time you're going to save on your projects. And with that FM file, there's so many new leagues one could create on PES that were never on ANY PES game ever. Excellent stuff!

@WhoAteMeDinner I loved Paul McGrath, what a player, dodgy knees and all, one of the best defender's of his time.

@miguelfcp I am in full flow :) Done the Primera now and just had a 32 team cup with the newly finished Sppanish teams and 12 from Germany. I decide to take 3 Spanish teams and chose Levante, Rayo Vallecano and Villarreal. First up was Villarreal against Bilbao, after conceding early I equalised only for Bilbao to take the lead just before half time. I grabbed an equaliser in the second half only for them to go ahead again and see the game out for a 3-2 defeat for me.

Next was Levante up against Espanyol, after conceding early on to a stunning cpu goal (will upload tomorrow for an entry in the goal of the week!) I got an equaliser before they set up camp in my half adding three more goals before half time. It was wave after wave as I struggled to get the ball out to one of my players, they were picking up every clearance. Second half I stemmed the tide although they missed one really good chance to go 5-1 up. I finally got a second just on full time for a final score of 4-2 to Espanyol.

Final game was Vallecano against Leganes. I took the lead and was generally on top although it was a bit of a midfield battle, then they got an equaliser on about 40 minutes only to then go and take the lead on the stroke of half time! I fought back in the second half and had quite a few chances without really troubling them until one sneaked in to level things up with 10 minutes to go. It went to extra time where they promptly scored again! I pushed forward and equalised again for 3-3 at HT in extra time. In an end to end second half with both teams going for the win they got a chance, I managed to block it only for it to fall back to them where their striker crashed home a volley. The sickening part was in the replay I saw that the first shot was in fact going wide before it hit my player so if I hadn't blocked it then it would have gone for a goal kick!

So, that was me out of the competition :PP Madrid beat Huesca 6-0 and Bayern lost 1-0 to 'Gladbach. Barcelona won 2-0 away to Betis. After second round wins for the remaining big boys , the QF saw Atletico Madrid beat Barcelona 2-1 and then did the same to Real Madrid in the semi's!. In the other semi Schalke beat a surprising semi finalist in Hannover by 2 goals to 0. In the final Atletico Madrid continued their impressive tournament with a 2-0 win over Schalke. Greizmann was top scorer with 6 goals.

Im such a noob on this. But i guess you need bios to run the dev builds ? Where do you get those ? I'd love some assist on this matter. I tried running a dev build, but the bios was missing. I had bios for regular psx2, didnt work. :BRICK:

Edit: I'd be more than thankful if there was a step by step process.

I downloaded the bios from here : http://www.theisozone.com/downloads/playstation/other/ps2-bios-collection-complete/
Choose one bios inside the collection (I used the last US one) and copy his content in bios folder in the dev build pcsx2 directory.

I followed this guide to set up PCSX2 : https://www.fantasyanime.com/emuhelp/pcsx2

@Rayemou: It's just an idea, but besides those reviews I don't know what else could we put on a wiki. That's why I tell you that first we should come up with those ideas, write content about it, and then we could think of "immortalizing" it on a page or wiki.

@mattmid: That's just music to the ears of any editing aficionado. Like I said, you must be on "editing Heaven" right now with all the time you're going to save on your projects. And with that FM file, there's so many new leagues one could create on PES that were never on ANY PES game ever. Excellent stuff!
Editing guides, patch information, and downloads to programs for PES editing would be very useful IMO. As well, ML/game strategies even per-team too.

But yes, if we do collaborate somehow in an effective manner, I think something can be done. ^^

@WhoAteMeDinner My dad's Irish, as an matter of fact. That's why I tend to play as Ireland more often than not^^ but yeah that team was legendary...

Also, just finished 2-2 against Holland on 4 star difficulty with pes1 with Ireland. A very tight match! McAteer volleyed it in directly from a corner taken by Kilbane ^^

Last edited:
I played a few games on both PES 5 and WE9LE yesterday and was pleasantly surprised about the latter. Maybe it was because i didn't play it for months, but WE9LE felt challenging, the CPU could attack reasonably well, more so than in PES 5. The amount of fouls is just perfect in WE9LE, no other PES game did nail the fouls this right. Injuries work also so well in this game. I will try to play a few Konami cups on it, and then maybe start a Master League.

I played a few games on both PES 5 and WE9LE yesterday and was pleasantly surprised about the latter. Maybe it was because i didn't play it for months, but WE9LE felt challenging, the CPU could attack reasonably well, more so than in PES 5. The amount of fouls is just perfect in WE9LE, no other PES game did nail the fouls this right. Injuries work also so well in this game. I will try to play a few Konami cups on it, and then maybe start a Master League.
Glad you joined the WE9LE Club. It's my favourite retro PES game, it's a refined PES5 with a better balance of fouls and zippier more responsive controls and movement to mention a few. It's more of a simulation than PES 6 was.

Back
Top Bottom