The Retro-PES Corner

Had a real fun friendly between Spain & Germany earlier. This game on the highest difficulty is truly a test.

Who can guess which Stadium i'm playing in judging from the rugby goal posts? (It's a default stadium in PES5/WE9)

What a touch and strike from Bernd Schneider, no unrealistic footplanting and half volley here, controls it, adjusts and pulls the trigger just quickly enough before Puyol or Joaquin can close him down.

t8LLC1h.gif

Schneider continues to be bothersome as he hits a low cross that takes a wicked deflection off of Antonio Lopez and bobbles in what seems like slow motion past the goal post as Casillas watches on helplessly.

Dr6oARQ.gif

Iniesta forces Jens into an acrobatic save at the near post as it dips several yards away to safety surely only for an absurd header into an open goal from an impossible angle but it's acceptable as it's Raul and he's one of the greatest no. 7's ever.

3PZvyKc.gif

Finally, Ballack territory as he unleashes a bazooka which would break the hands of any other mortal other then Casillas but he's the second best keeper in the world in this era (Buffon being the first) so access denied.

HJVvuhT.gif

For those still struggling with stuttering in PCSX2, you can also try PES 2008 on PSP emulator PPSSPP. The gameplay is the same, but there is no commentary and only one stadium. It is way more smooth than PCSX2 for me.

For those still struggling with stuttering in PCSX2, you can also try PES 2008 on PSP emulator PPSSPP. The gameplay is the same, but there is no commentary and only one stadium. It is way more smooth than PCSX2 for me.
You know what.I tried the psp titles months ago . Although psp emulator has a much simpler but better setup and more user friendly interface , it concerns me a lot the absence of L2 and R2 triggers. I know this is psp nature not pes fault and you can still make the R2 functions by combination of R1+L1 if i recall right, but i found it hard to use in my play style. And "unfortunately" i press R2 amlost 95% of the time in pes 5/6 etc, from better control to receive a pass or do a supercancel move to finese passing etc.It was the main cause i didn't invest deeper in psp retro-pes.
Just my personal taste always . Someone more skillfull in finger controlling may be not find this a problem.

Guys after 20 matches in la liga in pes 2013, i have to say i m starting to get too much cheating ai and matches have become like fighting warriors on the field and lorente even with his blue arrow condition can still leap like a bird to get the headers in....total cheating ai..

@geeeeee: He's lucky he's tall, otherwise his lack of ability to jump would be problematic. Still, sometimes he has issues when dealing with long balls on the box.
Now offensively, he's golden already, wouldn't change a thing about him on that regard!

@slamsoze: For example, adjusting defensive/offensive levels (which on PS2 is done through L2), on the PSP you use Select+R and Select+L to increase/decrease those levels. It seems odd but once one gets used to it, particularly when playing on an actual PSP, it becomes quite intuitive too.

@Lobbedball: When the AI enters Super Saiyan mode...YOU enter Super Saiyan mode as well. Retro-PES commandment #15.

@geeeeee : I just noticed we can play with every national team inside international cup in PES 2008, however these teams don't appear in edit mode, do you know how to edit them ?

@fmicablues7 are you referring to teams such as Albania, Egypt, etc...?

If so, these are only CPU controlled teams and for some reason they cannot be edited. :(

For the World Cup that i will be starting soon Iceland are not in it so i will replace them with the highest FIFA ranked European team that did not qualify, Netherlands ;)

With some sense of dread as opposed to excitement, as promised to my pal @miguelfcp , I am attempting a seventh or eighth restart in the PES 6 (Playstation 2) Default Originals Challenge.

Max difficulty with players who start with stats in the 60s and run like snails, and from the Birds Eye Camera angle, (so more like Kick Off or Sensible Soccer than a PES game) so the very slow players can see a COM player coming at them from fifty yards away, downside is players are the size of ants.

Never got past season four in this impossible challenge and his Migness has won multiple top division titles and silverware with the same default squads.

Did not know I was so crap at PES until now, should have bought a recent PES title on the PC I guess, and got hammered and trash-talked by an eight-year-old with attitude, that would have taken less time. :COAT::COAT::COAT:

@miguelfcp @fmicablues7 Thank you for suggestions guys.forgot to mention im playing with keybord so these combinations require 2 of 4 fingers occupied only for them.With a real psp or a gamepad it is a matter of time, since you get used. What impresses me with ppspp compared to pscx2 is the loading times.I dont know if it a fact in real consoles but in emulz, the psp which runs a pseudo ps3 UI , has astonishing fast loading time . Every save and load takes not even two seconds,while in ps2, especialy the loading of the option file of PES takes forever until the first 50% and few seconds until 100%.
@geeeeee seems Barca is harvesting!

#1 Alex - Pes 2008 PS2

Sooo.. here is the humble one I choose.

This goal felt really real life-like to me. A contrast in a very little space, the ball randomly arriving to my forward who, instead of searching for an improbable solo play, promptly pass it to the brazilian offensive midfielder Alex.. stop, and immediate shoot in the top corner. Quite satisfying to score!

Sorry for the quality, fraps stripped the video from the x2 native res :II.

@slamsoze it’s just a ML tester to make sure it does not crash but i was impressed by the amount of offers. I allowed Kane to leave for Barcelona and Trippier to go to Bournemouth. Kane went for about 17000 i think. I got excited with all the money and bought Sturridge (don’t ask me why) and Holgate a young SB from Everton.

Then i was seriously in the red because i made a miscalculation with 2 Negotiation periods left. Thankfully i got an offer for Rose and Erikson. One of Rose’s offer included a part exchange with another SB. I have to say i am quite impressed with the transfer offers in PES2008. In PES5 i never got any.

@slamsoze it’s just a ML tester to make sure it does not crash but i was impressed by the amount of offers. I allowed Kane to leave for Barcelona and Trippier to go to Bournemouth. Kane went for about 17000 i think. I got excited with all the money and bought Sturridge (don’t ask me why) and Holgate a young SB from Everton.

Then i was seriously in the red because i made a miscalculation with 2 Negotiation periods left. Thankfully i got an offer for Rose and Erikson. One of Rose’s offer included a part exchange with another SB. I have to say i am quite impressed with the transfer offers in PES2008. In PES5 i never got any.

That's a really nice activity indeed.

Is it due to the editing you did? I can't remember if you guys said that in 2008 there were few offers by cpu too. Pes 5 was effectively broken in this regard but if I remember correctly in Pes 6 you still had a decent amount of requests for your players..

@miguelfcp @fmicablues7 Thank you for suggestions guys.forgot to mention im playing with keybord so these combinations require 2 of 4 fingers occupied only for them.With a real psp or a gamepad it is a matter of time, since you get used. What impresses me with ppspp compared to pscx2 is the loading times.I dont know if it a fact in real consoles but in emulz, the psp which runs a pseudo ps3 UI , has astonishing fast loading time . Every save and load takes not even two seconds,while in ps2, especialy the loading of the option file of PES takes forever until the first 50% and few seconds until 100%.
@geeeeee seems Barca is harvesting!

Yep, the Playstation 2 struggles with the improved graphic demands of games like PES 6 and PES 2010. PES 6 loading times for games can be close to nearly ten seconds at times.

I bet even default PES can get Sturridge out for the season :D

That's a really nice activity indeed.

Is it due to the editing you did? I can't remember if you guys said that in 2008 there were few offers by cpu too. Pes 5 was effectively broken in this regard but if I remember correctly in Pes 6 you still had a decent amount of requests for your players..

I think with Kane going to Barcelona it could be the case because i edited him over an ‘A’ rated player. Which hopefully should mean that an ‘A’ rated team will make an offer. With Mbappe that may be a fluke. Looking at those purchases that is probably the most realistic transfers i have ever seen in retro PES, and i mean EVER! I’m not saying that Kane is that good to play for Barcelona but at least it’s not Gayle or something. (No offence to Gayle ;) )

Of course if this was not a ML tester i would not have sold Kane.

In PES2008 you can change transfer frequency to high which is what i have it on now.

Based on recent PES games salary points I have seen, (Hazard costing 2,500 pts a season). Mbappe should be around 4,000 pts surely ? :CURSE::CURSE::CURSE:

Heh heh, hopefully once i have finished editing i will see if i can make the salary’s more realistic. A lot of foofery and faffery (sorry if i spelt it wrong :P )

Also, regarding videos. You can just record the tv on your mobile like i do and then upload it from that. ;)

I bet even default PES can get Sturridge out for the season :D

It’s a bit of a gamble as his injury rating is ‘C’ :CALM:

Guys can i just say that i am so pleased that i am not on the PES2019 train this year. For the first time ever i will not download the demo and i will not buy the game. I cannot believe that the same conversations are going on about ‘do stats matter?’ ‘how is PA1?’ ‘how is manual shooting?’ These conversations have been going on for years. It should have all moved on by now. All those issues should have been fixed by now. I am so pleased that we have this little corner where we can be talking about the matches themselves and share what we have even from mobile recordings.

It’s about being content and we certainly are here. :)

@geeeeee could you post what programmes/tools you use for pes ps2 editing.For the first stage i would be interested to import some badges/images if it is possible. Unfortunately the link with guides to your pes2008 thread leads to pesfan forum which is still (down) under maintenance.

Last edited:
@MafiaMurderBag: About that stadium, I swear I was going to say it was the Diamond Stadium, but now I've just played vs. Bayern and saw those goal posts on the Diamond. I've played on that stadium for more than a decade and I had NEVER seen the goal posts before you mentioned it! Part-time rugby stadium, heh? Maybe Konami was going to make a rugby videogame, created a stadium for it, but ended up scrapping the idea though utilizing the model of it for PES.
I sense another Retro-PES conspiracy developing here...

@WhoAteMeDinner: YES! Glad you're carrying on with it. Remember that you can get newgens, instead of only getting default regens like you did previously. If I hadn't gotten those newgens, you bet I'd still be on Div. 2 these days.
Something that will help you and others: when trying to identify who's a newgen or a real player regen on the "newcomers" group, at least on PES2008 newgens appear always on the last page of the newcomers list - on PES6 it must be the same - except for when you sort the group by name, age, salary, etc. Originally, newgens are always on the last page.
Anyways, as I told you a while ago, newgens have typically much better statsheets than the vast majority of any regen ever spawned on the ML, so combined with the tip I gave you above you should have no trouble separating real players from ML newgens.
Good luck!

@geeeeee: Interesting transfer moves there, particularly by Barcelona who's preparing a nice striker core for the future with those two. Never thought that I'd ever praise the AI "general manager/director of football" of a PES game, though!
Regarding PES19, confession time here (on spoilers to avoid off-topic)
I've lost the train a while ago already. It's probably as much the series' fault as it is mine, as I'm not interested anymore in buying game after game like I was doing years ago. I'm now at a point where I have like 30 football games lying around (probably more, if you count Football Manager...) and I've come to the conclusion that it's enough to keep me entertained.
Still, as I said on the first post of the thread, if people are enjoying the latest game that's fine...there's enough room to fit in both new and retro gaming.
Now, another thing I said on the first post, is that unless you're playing PES 12 hours a day or something like that, you'll never get the most out of any new version, before the following version is released. It's impossible. There's so much stuff to do on any sports game, so many ideas to try out, teams to play with, challenges...which is why I believe we're so relaxed and satisfied here on the Corner: we have all the time in the world to do whatever we want on any game we want, whenever and how often we want. You can't not be pleased with that kind of control over your own gaming habits.
Using your "train" analogy, if one isn't happy with the train he's on...get off of it, start building your own, and drive it anywhere you want.

When I said 08's AI was aggressive, it might have been an understatement...

Look how good our glorious and growing fanbase looks on Mestalla...excuse me, Estadio Palo!

h3EWm42.jpg

If you look closely, past the Master League United's trademark crest and the beautiful flags, you can see the supporters were so confident for this WEFA Championships matchup - despite the fact that we were playing against one of the current best teams in the world - that they brought "Go For Glory" banners (who also seem to have a picture of either Stein, or Ruskin, or Fouque...). That's how you do it, unapologetically. Realistically, they should've written something like "Don't Lose By Many" or "We Love You No Matter What" or "Bye WEFA #FocusOnD1"; but Master League United fans are not here to joke around. They know what they want, and they go get it. They don't "go for the goal", they don't want timid little wins, they "Go For Glory" goddammit. And Glory is not a 0-1 win achieved through a last minute corner (unless that corner is taken by Fredriksson), or through an own-goal because Stein whispered in the opponent's ear "your ankles or your life"; you get Glory when you win 0-3 through a Burchet hat-trick after Stein completely neutralizes their entire midfield with just his pinky during the 90 minutes. Sadly only one of these three things happened so they're still not ecstatic enough to get their "4-0 Win or GTFO" and "Zamenhof MVP" banners out of the closet and bring them to the stadium.

@miguelfcp Haha I love posts like this. The little "nuances" in the game :DD I think your fan-base is a dedicated bunch. For your team was not bought by oil-money, the players were brought up through the academy knowing nothing league titles, cup wins, or even a derby win! They just want to get on with it and play the game.

I have come to really appreciate this "corner". Everyday I look forward to hearing the highs and lows from each of you. While some are fighting for the life to reach D1, and others are dominating their respective leagues, I love it all!

I tried PES 14,15,16,17, and 18 next gen, and for me, something about it feels "off". The passing looks pretty, but no goals or build up play really excites me. Whereas playing the more "robotic" PES 2008 last night, Castolo scored our first default team goal of the season. In the 4th game!? And it was a bicycle kick! We lost 3-1 against Stoke City, but I don't care. That goal got me excited! :DANCE:

I don't mean to down on the people who do enjoy the newer games, for I am glad the series is still going.

@geeeeee could you post what programmes/tools you use for pes ps2 editing.For the first stage i would be interested to import some badges/images if it is possible. Unfortunately the link with guides to your pes2008 thread leads to pesfan forum which is still (down) under maintenance.

I use PES editor from this sight.
http://www.purplehaze.eclipse.co.uk/

And i use a Maxdrive https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/PS2-Max-Dr...380057.m4084.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xmaxdr.TRS0

Regarding Emblems, i have many from other PS2 options files that can be used regardless of what PES it is. They can be imported using PES editor.

Hope this helps :)

So glad we had older pes to quench real footy thirst. Watching some of the 2019 vids, the only form of AI attack is go through mid, put it out wide and cross it in, over and over and over. Its just shameful. Back to we9le and pes 6 for me again.

@slamsoze: Hadn't noticed the ref there, but as long as it's not that son of a gun south african what's-his-name we're always fine. If it were, after that double-tackle I'd be the one getting a red card for "provoking those two Bayern players"...
On the other hand, I love the lenient refs. There's one, can't remember his name but he's got stubble and short hair, who's really a blessing. As soon as I know he'll be the ref of the matchup I pull off a killer sliding tackle from behind (usually it's Stein doing it) to show'em who's boss, usually just a few seconds in after kickoff. He blows his whistle, it's a foul, then he comes and says "whoa pilgrim, take a chill pill will ya? *calm down gestures* Now, piss off, stupid." - read this in John Wayne's voice
Gotta love him.

@Special4988: Though ML United's home kit is all black and our bank has just announced we broke the PES Points record by accumulating more than 150.000 PES in our account, it's all a coincidence as we're still a humble side with a very small and old stadium, no oil-money was used in this experience. It's an old-fashioned, timeless club of football!
Glad you're enjoying it here, and good luck for your default ML. On the first seasons, even a 0-0 draw is worthy of celebrating, as it's so hard to be competitive; let alone a bicycle kick by Castolo!

@papinho81: Oh, then you have A LOT to explore indeed. When you say you played PES until PES4, it means you never experienced PES5? To me that's an essential game of the series, though it's not for everyone's taste certainly, as it can get gritty as gritty can be. However, given you've just gotten your hands on WE9LE, I'd say you're good to go as it's definitely one of the best of the series (some even say it's the undisputed best).

Back
Top Bottom