The Retro-PES Corner

I had in mind Ronaldo and one more from Braziu or Zidane with Henry , but i thought since it worthed to be a quiz, it would be something far from obvious.

Enhorabuena Gutierrez, el primer jugador de ML United a llegar a los 100 goles por el club!

f9WMr3f.jpg
Ya es una leyenda del club. Tambien es el jugador con más partidos, 157.

Now, how to fake half a team with a fancy dribble move+pass combo.
Cheat code: :l1:+ :triangle: + a 203cm player with a size 20 shoe.

A few interesting individual and collective CPU behaviours from our beloved PES08 PS2.
First, look at what the player in yellow shirt does right after he loses the ball. Bear in mind that this is a pretty unremarkable striker, who is far from being a well of stamina, mentality, defense or teamwork. He's just an average joe in PES08, but this is what the average joe is programmed to do here: just like in real-life, any player is encouraged to react quickly after he loses the ball, to do his best to avoid the opponent's counter-attack (and Kapetanos, the player in yellow, certainly did). However, he's a striker and his team was not at risk of suffering a dangerous counter-attack as they were well positioned for a defensive transition - while I was not ready for a killer offensive transition either...- so he could've just let go of the play and let the midfielders do the dirty job. Anyway, he does his job and helps out after losing the ball.
Little things like this make 08's AI tough to handle, as you have to expect displays of high football-IQ even from average players.

Another football lesson provided by an excellent Juventus team I just faced for the WEFA Championships. Juventus is the blue team, and they've just lost the ball in a dangerous place: right in front of their defense. Notice here:
1 - How quick the players closer to the ball get to my players to stop the play, and how aggressive is their behaviour.
2 - How compact Juventus becomes in a matter of seconds. It's a trap and it's done in a flash. Do they commited so hard to that trap because they knew the player with the ball was a tall, lanky, unskilled and slow 203cm beast, therefore an easy prey? Who knows.
3 - How you get 4 players at one point commited to one thing only: stop the man who's leading the counterattack. He has the ball and he needs to be stopped right away before this play grows into something more dangerous.
4 - Look at Juventus' last defender. He's a CB. As soon as his partner joins the incoming trap, he puts himself in a more central position to deal with a possible forward run from either one of my CMFs or my RWB who doesn't appear on the video but is joining the attack. In doing this he opens a passing lane for my striker, but he:
---- trusts the incoming Juventus' RB who's running like a maniac to cover up that passing lane - which he does accomplish;
----- trusts the trap that's being pulled on ML United's player with the ball - one of the Juventus' players there has just commited to a sliding tackle to stop the ball.
----- anyway, being the last defender, his priority is always to cover the middle; even if he has to open up a passing lane for the wings.

With a CPU team capable of pulling this off, obviously I lost.

I can't believe they were on more than Zamenhoff...

Enhorabuena Gutierrez, el primer jugador de ML United a llegar a los 100 goles por el club!

f9WMr3f.jpg
Ya es una leyenda del club. Tambien es el jugador con más partidos, 157.

Now, how to fake half a team with a fancy dribble move+pass combo.
Cheat code: :l1:+ :triangle: + a 203cm player with a size 20 shoe.

A few interesting individual and collective CPU behaviours from our beloved PES08 PS2.
First, look at what the player in yellow shirt does right after he loses the ball. Bear in mind that this is a pretty unremarkable striker, who is far from being a well of stamina, mentality, defense or teamwork. He's just an average joe in PES08, but this is what the average joe is programmed to do here: just like in real-life, any player is encouraged to react quickly after he loses the ball, to do his best to avoid the opponent's counter-attack (and Kapetanos, the player in yellow, certainly did). However, he's a striker and his team was not at risk of suffering a dangerous counter-attack as they were well positioned for a defensive transition - while I was not ready for a killer offensive transition either...- so he could've just let go of the play and let the midfielders do the dirty job. Anyway, he does his job and helps out after losing the ball.
Little things like this make 08's AI tough to handle, as you have to expect displays of high football-IQ even from average players.

Another football lesson provided by an excellent Juventus team I just faced for the WEFA Championships. Juventus is the blue team, and they've just lost the ball in a dangerous place: right in front of their defense. Notice here:
1 - How quick the players closer to the ball get to my players to stop the play, and how aggressive is their behaviour.
2 - How compact Juventus becomes in a matter of seconds. It's a trap and it's done in a flash. Do they commited so hard to that trap because they knew the player with the ball was a tall, lanky, unskilled and slow 203cm beast, therefore an easy prey? Who knows.
3 - How you get 4 players at one point commited to one thing only: stop the man who's leading the counterattack. He has the ball and he needs to be stopped right away before this play grows into something more dangerous.
4 - Look at Juventus' last defender. He's a CB. As soon as his partner joins the incoming trap, he puts himself in a more central position to deal with a possible forward run from either one of my CMFs or my RWB who doesn't appear on the video but is joining the attack. In doing this he opens a passing lane for my striker, but he:
---- trusts the incoming Juventus' RB who's running like a maniac to cover up that passing lane - which he does accomplish;
----- trusts the trap that's being pulled on ML United's player with the ball - one of the Juventus' players there has just commited to a sliding tackle to stop the ball.
----- anyway, being the last defender, his priority is always to cover the middle; even if he has to open up a passing lane for the wings.

With a CPU team capable of pulling this off, obviously I lost.

@miguelfcp , was it snowing in your game against Juventus ? Or was that a flurry of growth hormone powder being sprinkled onto the pitch for the Bianconeri, no wonder everywhere your players looked, there was a giant bloke, running like a machine at them. :NONO::NONO::NONO:

Update on my Tottenham Master League

PES 2014 PSP
Tottenham
Fixed player(Son)

Played 11/38 league games
Eliminated from the FA cup by WBA

So after our brutal schedule of facing 4 top of the table teams to open the season we have been playing mostly mid to bottom table teams. Unfortunately we picked up our first loss away to Swansea City 3-1 in our 7th game. Since then, we have 3 wins and a draw.

Harry Kane is having a MVP caliber year so far. He leads the league with 9 goals. I moved Erikson to AMF and Alli out to LMF and since, Erikson has been linking up well with Kane. Alli is having a disappointing season in my eyes. 2 goals, and not much else... My guy Son is 2nd in the league in assists, (4) but only 1 goal so far. I need to improve my scoring to help take some pressure off Kane. Davinson Sanchez and Serge Aurier have been developing steadily.

I have about 40 million dollars saved towards the winter transfer period and I plan to put Alli and Lucas Moura up for transfer availability. I'm hoping to lure a big named winger to come over and help us secure a champions league spot and hopefully make a run at the EPL league title.

Current top 6
1. Arsenal 25
2. Manchester United 24
3. Tottenham 22
4. Manchester City 22
5. Chelsea 22
6. Everton 21

Here on the Corner, unlike other gaming-related places all over the web, we're always actively trying to find every excuse to enjoy Retro-PES games as a community. It's how it looks for the passer-by, or the first-time-reader of our thread. Put yourself in his shoes for a moment: what do you see?
@WhoAteMeDinner comes here and talks about russian bots. This other guy writes pseudo-academic essays on player positioning of a game that was released back when Tokio Hotel was cool. Some post images/gifs, some post stories about even older games - some of those games even still have Yugoslavia's National Team on it, for God's sake! What's shocking is, they all sound like they're having a blast doing it. What the hell?

That passer-by comes to the obvious conclusion: we're absolute maniacs. And he sees that these maniacs really do anything to be a part of the healthy, relaxed and positive environment of the Corner - which they themselves helped build. They've kept this place clean, shiny, warm and interesting for them and whoever might be reading or might read in the future. Go look elsewhere, where there aren't any maniacs, and you'll see how remarkable what we've done here really is.

Then, the Passer-by understands we're a "dying breed" kind of maniacs: we love the PES series and we have fun with any PES game we choose to play; we choose to play it at our own pace, with our own rules, in whichever game mode we want at any time. And, most of all, we're not afraid to let our passion for the games be known to the world, so we write about it. We show it. We theorize about it. We discuss. All of this in an age where it's so hard to be proactive, productive and fulfilled: to play the latest game on the latest console, but to spend more time engaging in petty personal arguments on forums with fellow fans of the same game; to accept whatever is the latest game even if he doesn't like it, instead of playing the game(s) of the series he likes the most; to be passive and uncreative, though there's a limitless universe of new ideas to be had and to be explored; to be looking for more enemies and to spread negative energy, instead of allocating that energy into forming new relationships with like-minded people and into creating something new and better and perhaps more interesting; to be alone in a lonely (lonelier by the day?) world instead of actively trying to find those like-minded people; to write 100-character insults and provokations, but to forfeit the opportunity of using the decaying and less-and-less-respected art of writing to a more interesting, useful or entertaining subject.
We here on the Corner really go about it differently, and proudly so.

I don't know the future, for all I know tomorrow we all might not even be here; but I do know that if we are, we'll keep on finding new excuses to play, share and love Retro-PES games with the beautiful community of the Retro-PES Corner. And after 70 pages and more than 2000 posts in just 4 months, filled with valuable content, ideas and experiences, all bred in an enviornment where ALL the people of the community always show and have shown respect for each other, do count on the maniacs of Retro-PES to get crazier as we go deeper down the Retro-PES rabbit hole. Together.

In the meantime, check out below excuse #1457 for one more Retro-PES activity:

Last edited:
The Retro-PES Goal of the Week
Welcome to the Corner's Goal of the Week. This is the first-ever contest in which the AI is able to participate too. Seriously, we're avant-garde as sh*t, are we not?

How to play:
- post here on the Corner a video or a gif of a goal that either a human player or the CPU has scored on your experience of playing whatever Retro-PES game you're playing.
- From every Monday to Friday, you can submit one or more goals, as long as that goal was scored in that same week.
- Over the weekend, we temporarily close the contest for everyone to vote on their favourite goals on Saturday and Sunday.
- After the winner is picked, Monday comes and it's a new week of more great goals to be submitted - rinse and repeat until we're old enough that our eyesight does no longer allow us to read.

Submitting a goal? Fortunately even for a technologically impaired guy like me, it has never been this easy to capture and upload videos/gifs. I use Streamable to upload my potato-quality ones, it's fast and easy, but I bet there are many other options out there too. As long as everyone's able to witness accurately how splendid your goal was, anything goes.

Submitting goals scored by the CPU? Yes, you can submit goals the AI scored on you too. The purpose of this is also to rub the bellies of those who will in the future enslave us, so we can fall in their good graces rightaway and see if we get out of it. You're welcome. But mainly, the priority is to watch great goals on great Retro-PES games, regardless of who or what scored, and whether it was Evo-Web member X or Y submitting it.

Posting it on the thread:
Alongside the video/gif, do tell us:
- the player who scored
- the Retro-PES game and platform used
- further details about the goal, if you want.

Submitting more than one goal? Please add a number to your post, like "#1 Fouque, PES5 PC", "#2 Jaric PES6 PS2" for it to be easier for the voters to refer to the goal they're voting for.

To vote - and even those who submit goals are allowed to vote with no restrictions -, remember you can only vote over the weekend. Choose the one goal you prefer by referring to the user who posted it and the number of his submission (if he submitted more than one).
If we get many people participating, we can one day allow voting for a top 3, 4, 5...for now though, every user gets one vote to vote on one goal.

It's Monday, so Week#1 of the Retro-PES Goal of the Week is on!

Last edited:
@miguelfcp That first video that you posted, the guy with the yellow shirt. It actually looks like after he loses the ball he goes over and foot stops your guy to take the ball away. Maybe Konami put in a hidden unsportsmanlike stat??? :R1

I kinda saw that foot jam and a sneaky elbow too. Nasty little buggers the COM players are.
And now I think of it, in PES 6 on the playstation 2 edition, it has what I thought was this annoying glitch where COM players get in your players way by accident. Maybe not. :R1:R1:R1

The Retro-PES Goal of the Week
Welcome to the Corner's Goal of the Week. This is the first-ever contest in which the AI is able to participate too. Seriously, we're avant-garde as sh*t, are we not?

How to play:
- post here on the Corner a video or a gif of a goal that either a human player or the CPU has scored on your experience of playing whatever Retro-PES game you're playing.
- From every Monday to Friday, you can submit one or more goals, as long as that goal was scored in that same week.
- Over the weekend, we temporarily close the contest for everyone to vote on their favourite goals on Saturday and Sunday.
- After the winner is picked, Monday comes and it's a new week of more great goals to be submitted - rinse and repeat until we're old enough that our eyesight does no longer allow us to read.

Submitting a goal? Fortunately even for a technologically impaired guy like me, it has never been this easy to capture and upload videos/gifs. I use Streamable to upload my potato-quality ones, it's fast and easy, but I bet there are many other options out there too. As long as everyone's able to witness accurately how splendid your goal was, anything goes.

Submitting goals scored by the CPU? Yes, you can submit goals the AI scored on you too. The purpose of this is also to rub the bellies of those who will in the future enslave us, so we can fall in their good graces rightaway and see if we get out of it. You're welcome. But mainly, the priority is to watch great goals on great Retro-PES games, regardless of who or what scored, and whether it was Evo-Web member X or Y submitting it.

Posting it on the thread:
Alongside the video/gif, do tell us:
- the player who scored
- the Retro-PES game and platform used
- further details about the goal, if you want.

Submitting more than one goal? Please add a number to your post, like "#1 Fouque, PES5 PC", "#2 Jaric PES6 PS2" for it to be easier for the voters to refer to the goal they're voting for.

To vote - and even those who submit goals are allowed to vote with no restrictions -, remember you can only vote over the weekend. Choose the one goal you prefer by referring to the user who posted it and the number of his submission (if he submitted more than one).
If we get many people participating, we can one day allow voting for a top 3, 4, 5...for now though, every user gets one vote to vote on one goal.

It's Monday, so Week#1 of the Retro-PES Goal of the Week is on!

No connectivity on my Playstation 2 to upload goal videos sadly. Good look everyone else.

I kinda saw that foot jam and a sneaky elbow too. Nasty little buggers the COM players are.
And now I think of it, in PES 6 on the playstation 2 edition, it has what I thought was this annoying glitch where COM players get in your players way by accident. Maybe not. :R1:R1:R1

Oh that's definitely deliberate!

I applied the settings for pcsx2 emulator from video @Madmac79 posted some days ago. I overdid it putting internal resolution 2xnative as it looks less pixeled. I can't say it is 100% smooth but seems better now in my eyes. The only part iam not sure if i did correct is that the fps seems to be locked at 50fps, the video sayed 50-60 fps. I am always between 49.75~50.00.
But watching the videos from @miguelfcp made me wanna cry. If it is gameplay from emulator and not from a ps2 console, i feel so sad for my old low-end pc. The game in his videos looked extremely smooth and with very good quality graphics.

I applied the settings for pcsx2 emulator from video @Madmac79 posted some days ago. I overdid it putting internal resolution 2xnative as it looks less pixeled. I can't say it is 100% smooth but seems better now in my eyes. The only part iam not sure if i did correct is that the fps seems to be locked at 50fps, the video sayed 50-60 fps. I am always between 49.75~50.00.
But watching the videos from @miguelfcp made me wanna cry. If it is gameplay from emulator and not from a ps2 console, i feel so sad for my old low-end pc. The game in his videos looked extremely smooth and with very good quality graphics.

I put 2x too as it's as smooth as native, more or less. Unfortunately it isn't as fluid as possible, but it's still fully playable to me :) .

I think Miguel plays on console if I'm not wrong?

I put 2x too as it's as smooth as native, more or less. Unfortunately it isn't as fluid as possible, but it's still fully playable to me :) .

I think Miguel plays on console if I'm not wrong?
Yeah thats what i liked in miguel's video. It seems fluid as "fresh milk"! The strips looked so sweet, like smooth pyjamas!! :P
In mine is kind of smooth but there are moments i think it tries to stutter? maybe or the speedhack prevents stuttering by frameskiping. I am not sure at all, it is the emulators curse,but not in an unplayble rate to be honest, the game is still playable i don't want to be ungreatfull.

Yeah thats what i liked in miguel's video. It seems fluid as "fresh milk"! The strips looked so sweet, like smooth pyjamas!! :P
In mine is kind of smooth but there are moments i think it tries to stutter? maybe or the speedhack prevents stuttering by frameskiping. I am not sure at all, it is the emulators curse,but not in an unplayble rate to be honest, the game is still playable i don't want to be ungreatfull.

No no you are completely right, even if it's playable it's still messy to no end.

I have a normal computer bought like 2 years ago and half or something, I still play fine newer games like the Pes and Fifa or the last year, but emulating Ps2 it's still problematic sometimes. I hope with a more powerful pc, the situation could improve.. I'd be more happy to change my Pc to retrogame in a better quality, than to play modern football games honestly:LOL:.

@Special4988 Yeah was impressive for PS2 tech. If watch Kaka at the start of the gif to where he ends up, it's mindblowing. that's a world class "I want the ball and I know where I need to be" kind of run.

From the same game, chances were few and far between, Kuyt capitalises on Juan's poor touch and Van Nistlerooy is clean through on goal but clearly panics and fumbles the extreme R2 shooting.

Ls3soPQ.gif

@WhoAteMeDinner: It's snow secret that in two matches vs. Juventus at Delle Alpi I didn't win yet, and on both occasions I was completely manhandled...also, unlike on other venues, on 08's Delle Alpi there's a lot of snow outside the pitch but not on the pitch itself...suspicious!
Regarding capturing the videos for the Goal of the Week, I record mine with an old Ipod and then transfer it to the PC, upload it and voilà. You don't have to upload directly from the PS2.

@Special4988: Oh I thought you were referring to the video of the dribble combo, you mean the video where the guy in yellow shirt loses the ball. Look at how close the ref was and he says play on after that obvious foul...not that I'm surprised, that ref always rigs matches against me since my days on D2. He developed a tendency to give me unnecessary red cards in situations that no other ref does. I think he's a south african one. When I see that face before the kick-off, I get all pumped up.

@Madmac79 and @slamsoze: Yeah, I'm on the PS2. If you are impressed with the quality of the videos, just remember it's captured on an old iPod with a shitty camera (for today's standards) and off-screen, which always messes up color/lightning. And I'm playing with an old SCART cable, though I think it's possible with a little "foofery and faffery" as Dinner says to use an HDMI to make the PS2 experience more modern-looking. But it sure does always run smooth as smooth can be.

@MafiaMurderBag: Loving your gifs (and as you already know, that camera setting is just a beauty for me!), keep'em coming! Your mention of Juan's first touch reminded me of Matic (the 203cm striker panzer) who has 55 technique. He has really poor first touch, last night he tried to capture a long ball and instead of controlling the ball, he took several touches to try to control it but never could, so he ended up passing it while the ball was still somewhat bouncing, which led to a horrible pass that didn't even touch the grass on its way. That's when you understand that stats matter, and even a basic thing like controlling the ball might be a difficult task for a player with lower technique and the harder the situation in which he needs to use it, the more his flaws will be obvious.

Last edited:
Weird thing noticed as i tested pes 2011 and pes 2014 both ps2 versions. Normally they should run less fluid than pes 2008, as they are newer games, although same code, biggest database, tweaked code etc. But it seems they run better. Maybe it is an iso/rom/cd/image issue.
About the salaries as we spoked about it months ago regarding pes points in older ML compared to real money currency. I posted my theory that 1 point in pes= 1.000 €. I checked in pes2011(ps2) where there is real currency and also in negotiations/search by club screen the points are displayed near player like the older pes. So it seems that i was close. 1 point in ML =10k aka 10,000€. So some players i checked for example had 289p salary and when i made them a proposal it said salary= 2.890.000 and an other had 395p and 3.950.000 which is 289x10.000=2.890.000€. So salary case closed!!! :p

Last edited:
Here is my goal from today...

#1 Kane PES2008 PS2
giphy.gif

This shows how what Harry lacks in speed he makes up for it in power and determination. I love the way he barged the defender out of the way. In my ML tester Spurs (me) Basil, 3rd against 2nd. We were 2-0 but they pulled it back to 2-2 and then Harry got this winner.

"I don't always score goals, but when I do, I prefer to score screamers.
Stay thristy my friends."

Fredriksson

Goal of the week:
#1 - Fredriksson PES2008 PS2

As you already know my keeper is a PK/free kick/corner kick taker combo, so here he had just taken a corner on the right side. As soon as he understands we might lose the ball, he starts his now trademark fury run to return to his goal. When I got the ball back with Ordaz, I saw him right ahead so I gave him the ball and...why not? Let's shoot a long-range shot with my keeper's weak foot even before controlling the ball. It worked.

Last edited:
@miguelfcp The gift that never stops giving. Just had a thought, is he any good in goal?

Two goals from tonight while playing a test league from the Bundesliga I've been working on. I'm playing as Leverkusen and after starting the season with 3 wins, I've since drawn 2 and lost 2.

#1 - Heinrichs (Leverkusen) PES6 PC
#2 - Bellarabi (Leverkusen) PES6 PC

ML United - Generations Mode - Season 7

Winter break update:
5gulvam.jpg

So far, this season has been hard as hell! Clearly our absolutely unexpected 2nd place finish last season upsetted pretty much every team in this league. On 16 fixtures played I didn't have a single easy matchup, those on which you score once or twice and then activate cruise control until the final whistle. Combined with the fact that we were simultaneously (and for the first time ever) playing the group phase of the WEFA Championships, this led to a few forgettable streaks of losing/drawing matches consecutively. Took a lot of effort to get out of these streaks (by effort I mean, we collected several yellow and red cards) and it confirmed what I already suspected: there's definitely some kind of "team form" which, like the player's form, will affect our performances. But unlike the players', the team's form seems to depend on whether we've been winning matches or not. When winning a lot, the team seems to behave well as a unit, and most of our players are successful in their actions; when in a losing streak, it seems nothing works. The players do try, but it's like we've been cast a spell.
Despite much damage done by the negative team form, we got back on our feet and managed not to "lose the train" of the fight for the title and the top 3 of the league; and it's going to be a heated battle indeed as not a lot of points separate the top 6.

1ftOeux.jpg
- Gutierrez going all in to renew the Top Scorer award from last season. Kezman, as usual, is up there too. The surprise here is 18-year-old "rookie" Matic, who despite being on his first year of professional football is doing great - though I bet in the end it'll be Gutierrez vs. Kezman for the title.

fteSoKY.jpg
With two matches until the end of the group phase, we still have chances to advance past this round, but I'm not counting on it. We caught Valencia in a bad day on the last fixture (won 0-3 on Mestalla...ahem, Estadio Palo!) but on every match we're shown that this level of football is still too much for us to handle at this point. We're on Masters Cup level, on our way to become "WEFA Championships group phase level" in a couple of years perhaps.
Still, it's a lot of fun to play these matches. We play great teams like Benfica and Bayern domestically but on the WEFA competitions every team seems to give 150% to win a match. Very tough and quite enjoyable.

-- Iouga and Espimas (both 40-year-olds) just announced they'll retire by the end of the season! Bit by bit our group of legendary defaults are leaving the club, but this also means we'll be able to bring in two more newgens. This Season 7 is confirming that we really do need one CB at least.

@mattmid: Two great goals indeed! Loving the first one. As for Fredriksson, he wasn't superb as a GK on his first season (though still noticeably better than Ivarov) but recently he's shining a lot. He's been improving on his GK skills (90) but his defense is still 81, low-80s for response as well, and very low jumping ability (60s I believe) which despite the fact that he's still very young, makes me think he'll never be one of the greatest keepers of the ML World. Newgen guys like Solimar or Borges (this last one is a 174cm keeper! but a beast though) all have much better keeper skillsets.

@miguelfcp Great write up as usual :) Have you considered playing Fredriksson elsewhere, just out of curiosity, perhaps in a D1 Cup second leg when the tie is pretty much won from the first leg?

That first goal, the ball rolling out like that, it was just so tempting to hit first time.

@mattmid: Thanks man. I thought of it, maybe as a striker (70 shot accuracy!). His only issue is his speed, he's veeery slow and lanky. I'm imagining a striker duo Matic-Fredriksson...the Turtles?

Great band, and soon to be the greatest and slowest striker partnership.

How about your Minanda career, how's the kid doing?

Back
Top Bottom