The Retro-PES Corner

I didn't find any "easy" way to score yet in PES 3, unlike some others PS2 PES, so it remains a challenge for me against the CPU. Can't believe how guys like @Anjin manage to crush nearly every opponent.

Long story short I'm just a cunt :D

My current strategy is 3-4-3 with Centre Attack and Counterattack permamently turned on and Defensive Line set to A. I'm just a relentless, shameless pressure whore. And with a powerful team this whole madness multiplies, since literally everyone can become a danger man in a second.

Sometimes I am 0-1 down until 80th minute and then end up winning 1-3. There has to be some sort of mentality system affecting AI. I often score two, three, goals in quick succession. AI just cannot handle constant pummeling most of the time, you can often just topple enemy side by the sheer power or endless bombardment.

I don't constantly use exploits, not even sure what they would be in this game, but I am merciless. Despite having the lead I don't really play around - always doing my best to keep up murderous tempo and just don't stop.

So yeah, I'm probably more akin to PA7 next-gen PES professionals than most of you, not even because of the skill, but because of the sheer tryhardiness and cuntery I indulge myself into :RSCARF:

I think @Anjin is playing PES 5 or WE 9, that would explain that.

Hell no it's PES 3, it's been PES 3 since late June! Almost two months. It was supposed to be a nice change of pace from Dark Souls Remastered for a few days and ended up becoming the pace itself.

What a game!

Long story short I'm just a cunt :D

My current strategy is 3-4-3 with Centre Attack and Counterattack permamently turned on and Defensive Line set to A. I'm just a relentless, shameless pressure whore. And with a powerful team this whole madness multiplies, since literally everyone can become a danger man in a second.

Sometimes I am 0-1 down until 80th minute and then end up winning 1-3. There has to be some sort of mentality system affecting AI. I often score two, three, goals in quick succession. AI just cannot handle constant pummeling most of the time, you can often just topple enemy side by the sheer power or endless bombardment.

I don't constantly use exploits, not even sure what they would be in this game, but I am merciless. Despite having the lead I don't really play around - always doing my best to keep up murderous tempo and just don't stop.

So yeah, I'm probably more akin to PA7 next-gen PES professionals than most of you, not even because of the skill, but because of the sheer tryhardiness and cuntery I indulge myself into :RSCARF:

Hell no it's PES 3, it's been PES 3 since late June! Almost two months. It was supposed to be a nice change of pace from Dark Souls Remastered for a few days and ended up becoming the pace itself.

What a game!

Hmmmm, not entirely sure I believe that, is it the PC version ? It is not possible to win every game in PES 3 no matter what you call yourself cuntery or gruntery. And certainly scoring a pile of goals late on against max difficulty AI never happens.

I just think it is more bolloxology. :TD::TD::TD:

I just think it is more bolloxology. :TD::TD::TD:

Whoa.

Okay then, I will do my best to figure technical things out and will spend entire Saturday streaming Master League as a proof. Granted it won't be amazing quality and there won't be any talking since I don't have a microphone to do that, but I can always play some nice music in the background and if you're willing to sit in one place and watch me for few hours, it's not an issue.

Kinda heartbroken now, why would I even bollock anyone online about a video game...oh well, you'll just have to wait and see :D

Whoa.

Okay then, I will do my best to figure technical things out and will spend entire Saturday streaming Master League as a proof. Granted it won't be amazing quality and there won't be any talking since I don't have a microphone to do that, but I can always play some nice music in the background and if you're willing to sit in one place and watch me for few hours, it's not an issue.

Kinda heartbroken now, why would I even bollock anyone online about a video game...oh well, you'll just have to wait and see :D

Just you are coming across as a bit up your own ass, that's all, and if you are that better than the AI. Why are you still playing this game save ? Where is the challenge anymore ?

Attempt a master league save with JUST the Default Squad in an early PES edition and see how that goes.

@Anjin if that is of any consolation, I fully believe you :LOL:. You are in season 7 or 8 of your ML if I'm not wrong? If you have a good team (so no defaults, or deliberately bad players) and you are trying moderately hard with tactics and such, there is no way that after all those seasons you aren't steamrolling CPU given that your squad have probably the highest chemistry possible at this point! It's not even a matter of exploiting cheap stuff, it's just that your player will naturally do their things better than the others. A bit like real life Atletico Madrid.

Just you are coming across as a bit up your own ass, that's all, and if you are that better than the AI. Why are you still playing this game save ? Where is the challenge anymore ?

Attempt a master league save with JUST the Default Squad in an early PES edition and see how that goes.

Why the rudeness :(

One guy said he can't believe how it happens, and I've just explained it. You've questioned me, I am willing to provide all the proof possible. I am playing this save because, simply enough, I love this team too much to stop yet. I would usually stop after three season of domination in PES 5/6 at best. I just want to keep going here. I like this team. I like the nice logo I've came up with. I like the kits. I like my players, I've got so used to them...and also I want to find out just how many stars can you get on your logo for winning league titles.

What's wrong with that? I don't even boast about it I just keep going, you imply I'm lying and it's just kinda sad :(

Default Squad team could work, although I've won my first league title in Season 2 with half of the team still being defaults so yeah...Winning the league itself is not all that special, AI is not that good at grabbing points from other AIs, about 50 points can be technically enough to win the title. So it's not that special either.

That's all there is to it...I'm not even angry or hurt, just kinda sad :(

Come on man.. why the bitterness? Beating a game after all those seasons isn't certainly a diss at it. I think only more recent games are capable of giving a (sometimes unfair) challenge after so many championships played if you go all out determined to beat the whole thing out.

I have my historic all star Chelsea save on Pes 5 in which I've won it all in 6-7 seasons but I didn't stop to love the game just because of it ;) (like.. the complete opposite since that was my second serious ML and after that one I played countelss others :) !). Plus I'm certain that single competitive matches still happens anyway here and there.

Why the rudeness :(

One guy said he can't believe how it happens, and I've just explained it. You've questioned me, I am willing to provide all the proof possible. I am playing this save because, simply enough, I love this team too much to stop yet. I would usually stop after three season of domination in PES 5/6 at best. I just want to keep going here. I like this team. I like the nice logo I've came up with. I like the kits. I like my players, I've got so used to them...and also I want to find out just how many stars can you get on your logo for winning league titles.

What's wrong with that? I don't even boast about it I just keep going, you imply I'm lying and it's just kinda sad :(

Default Squad team could work, although I've won my first league title in Season 2 with half of the team still being defaults so yeah...Winning the league itself is not all that special, AI is not that good at grabbing points from other AIs, about 50 points can be technically enough to win the title. So it's not that special either.

That's all there is to it...I'm not even angry or hurt, just kinda sad :(

Not meant as rude, sorry, just you kinda said you played the game with more concentration than anyone else and before you try the Default Challenge, you may not want to say it is easy.
:SHAKE::SHAKE::SHAKE:

Come on man.. why the bitterness? Beating a game after all those seasons isn't certainly a diss at it. I think only more recent games are capable of giving a (sometimes unfair) challenge after so many championships played if you go all out determined to beat the whole thing out.

I have my historic all star Chelsea save on Pes 5 in which I've won it all in 6-7 seasons but I didn't stop to love the game just because of it ;) (like.. the complete opposite since that was my second serious ML and after that one I played countelss others :) !). Plus I'm certain that single competitive matches still happens anyway here and there.

Well first time for everything @Madmac79 , I always make the game more difficult when I start to get too strong for the AI (that is not often), just everyone has different approaches I guess.

But it's not easy at all, I'm just taking it to the extreme most of the time. Excellent players. Ultra-aggressive strategy. Constant pressing. Super cancel strats. It all combines and leads to the destruction, but that hardly means every single game is walk in the park. There are plenty of close ones, I just have all the tools to come back on time. Hell, I've lost two WEFA Championship Finals because of being reckless and borderline nonchalant - and those are far more important than winning X league games in a row.

It just seems ye think I'm cheating or something. I can even see why, but I can also easily show how I do things. I'll do my best to stream at least big part of Season 9 for you all, afterwards you can judge me without a break :D

But it's not easy at all, I'm just taking it to the extreme most of the time. Excellent players. Ultra-aggressive strategy. Constant pressing. Super cancel strats. It all combines and leads to the destruction, but that hardly means every single game is walk in the park. There are plenty of close ones, I just have all the tools to come back on time. Hell, I've lost two WEFA Championship Finals because of being reckless and borderline nonchalant - and those are far more important than winning X league games in a row.

It just seems ye think I'm cheating or something. I can even see why, but I can also easily show how I do things. I'll do my best to stream at least big part of Season 9 for you all, afterwards you can judge me without a break :D

Ah look man, let's just put this one aside, we have differenet characters, that is all. I always prefer to let everyone know how crap I am when I lose badly in a final or have a game over in a master league.

To each their own and let us move on. :SNACK:

To be honest: I wouldn't mind seeing more footage from your play trough of PES3, but not because of your tactics or what not. A full match or a summary of a couple of matches would be really cool to see. Everyone has their own way of playing the game, so I wouldn't mind, even if your were using some kinda exploit. I really enjoy reading your updates about the might Commonwealth, even though the former Feyenoord goalkeeper Dudek has made a fool of himself in your game :DOH: Maybe you can sign Lev Yashin (he has a different name in the game) from Russia? He has really good stats.

I recently also played the PC version of PES3 (my normal ML save is on PS2) and I does seen to be a difference between the PC and PS2 version. The PC version seems to be quicker, especially on the control input. Yesterday I managed to score an own goal on PS2 because of input lag. One thing has to be said: on pc I used the Wendetta version of PES3, so that might make difference as well. Do you guys see a difference between the PS2 and PC version of PES3?

To be honest: I wouldn't mind seeing more footage from your play trough of PES3, but not because of your tactics or what not. A full match or a summary of a couple of matches would be really cool to see. Everyone has their own way of playing the game, so I wouldn't mind, even if your were using some kinda exploit. I really enjoy reading your updates about the might Commonwealth, even though the former Feyenoord goalkeeper Dudek has made a fool of himself in your game :DOH: Maybe you can sign Lev Yashin (he has a different name in the game) from Russia? He has really good stats.

I recently also played the PC version of PES3 (my normal ML save is on PS2) and I does seen to be a difference between the PC and PS2 version. The PC version seems to be quicker, especially on the control input. Yesterday I managed to score an own goal on PS2 because of input lag. One thing has to be said: on pc I used the Wendetta version of PES3, so that might make difference as well. Do you guys see a difference between the PS2 and PC version of PES3?

The opposite to be honest, all Playstation 2 games are quicker than the PC versions and there can be no lag on Playstation 2 games, as there is no delay caused by memory capacity or background programs, PC games are where there is lag. Playstation 2 is rapid and immediate always.

Damn it! You guys made me want to fire up some Pes 3 again :LOL:.
Unlocked the Classic Brazil and did some exhibitions with them. Plenty of fun.

Obligatory tribute.. sending Davids to the bar with Socrates:

giphy.gif

Damn it! You guys made me want to fire up some Pes 3 again :LOL:.
Unlocked the Classic Brazil and did some exhibitions with them. Plenty of fun.

Obligatory tribute.. sending Davids to the bar with Socrates:

giphy.gif

You are making me tear up again @Madmac79 , my first World Cup I can remember well was Mexico '86. :CRY::CRY::CRY: Socrates, Falcao, Zico, Josimar, Careca. A wonderful tournament full of great teams and far better than Russia '18.

Play an ML with a few classic players is my advice, they are superb in PES 3.

@Rayemou , not surprised you had a canary when Mattie Holland slammed in the missile.
What a belter of a strike, first time hit on the run from thirty yards, you must have just nudged the :square: button for a nano second, as the ball dynamics in PES 3 are so sensitive. :TU::BSCARF::BEER:
I know right! Indeed, the ball dynamics in 3 are rather sensitive but that (unlike PES 6's implementation which is buggy) makes the game incredibly challenging and fun to play while making things like this completely possible!

@geeeeee By the way, something I wanted to ask you from some time, are you using a patch for the kits? Or you edited them out yourself?

Not a patch, i believe this is the option file i downloaded last year....
I am using it for a base. Where the teams are licensed i revert back to their orignal kit as it looks more realistic, i have added certain kits through the in game editor. Once all the players are completed i will most probably go through all the kits and maybe just make them plain with their colors and delete all the sponsorship stuff.

Not a patch, i believe this is the option file i downloaded last year....
I am using it for a base. Where the teams are licensed i revert back to their orignal kit as it looks more realistic, i have added certain kits through the in game editor. Once all the players are completed i will most probably go through all the kits and maybe just make them plain with their colors and delete all the sponsorship stuff.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. Gonna give it a try if when I'll get an hang on the memory card convertion tool for Pcsx2.

For all I care, everyone here could be playing on amateur/1-star and winning every match 20-0...as long as one is happy and enjoys the game(s), that's fine. Remember why we're here: to share our passion for retro-PES with a friendly community, playing the games as each one of us wants to. We're not here to find out who's the best PES player around, there's a place for that and it's the online lobby of any modern PES game - and see for yourselves how that has been working out when it comes to building a healthy, positive environment...

ML United - Generations Mode - PES 08 PS2 (Season 7)

After our D1 Cup win, could ML United win its first non-domestic title in the club's short history and bring home the WEFA Masters Cup?
North London was our opponent. Walcott destroyed us in the first half and scored the 1-0, before Gutierrez scores the equalizer right after the half-time break. 1-1 after 90 minutes, to extra-time we go. North London went all in to avoid the PK shootout and was sending many men up front to score rightaway...bad move! ML United is a counter-attacking powerhouse and Gutierrez made them pay for their carelessness with a beautiful curled shot when he got one-on-one with the keeper Proto. 2-1, ML United wins it!!!

UN6ASmY.jpg
I can't remember the last time I won a Masters Cup, so I was surprised when I saw the shape of the trophy. Reminds me of the Bundesliga title, but to me it's even prettier because of all the details.

Back to the league, there were 3 matches to go and we couldn't relax, as still we were fighting to clinch the 2nd place, which alongside the 1st place get qualified directly for the WEFA Championships group stage; whereas 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th qualify for a preliminary group stage before that one. This means more matches and a stacked calendar, we've been through it the season before and it's Fatigue Hell really.

Before showing you the final table of the league, Iouga and Espimas were retiring and I was able to play them both on our last league match in order to give them a proper farewell, Iouga was subbed in to finish the game with the team and Espimas was subbed in for a few minutes and then subbed off.
hnMbwj0.jpg
fumED22.jpg
The guy was 40 years old and still had 80 stamina. What a legend.

IFF6HTU.jpg

We won those last 3 league fixtures and were able to dethrone Galatasaray who was 3rd. It was still not enough to get to 2nd (we were 2nd placed last season), though we had the same points as Benfica. Our poor defensive record made the difference, with +10 goals conceded than them.
Bayern wins it by a tiny bit, but something strange happened over the last few fixtures. I remember at one point us having 40-something points and they were already 61...they thought they had it in the bag and almost lost it in the end!

5ruK7Ca.jpg

As I had predicted a while ago, it was a Gutierrez vs Kezman fight for the award throughout the whole season. Kezman threatened Gutierrez's domination at one point, particularly when ML United was doing badly around the winter break, but as soon as we got back on track he just was too much for Kezman to handle. 2nd Top Scorer award in a row for Gutierrez.

In fact, this season showed that at this point of ML United's journey, it's Gutierrez + 10. When he's on form, we win; when he's not the team isn't able to do anything out there. He was already one of my favourite ML defaults of all time, but this ML save confirmed it boldly.

However, though we were rather successful this year, our defense didn't do so well. We have 4 centre-backs on our rotation for 3 positions on the back (Ceciu and Stremer have lost this train a while ago, they don't count) and that's not enough to keep everyone healthy and fresh over time. We need more depth. Also, it seems Baumann has peaked, I suspect Jaric is about to decline, so we absolutely need fresh faces on our defense. Due to Iouga and Espimas retiring, we'll be able to pick two newgens.

Season 7 recap: 3rd place on D1, D1 Cup and WEFA Masters Cup win
Total trophies won so far: 1x D2 League, 1x D2 Cup, 2x D1 Cups and 1x WEFA Masters Cup

@miguelfcp Great write up as always. I wonder if Bayern had an injury to Klose or Toni to collapse like that? Something must have happened you would think, to drop away so badly. Either that or they are master statisticians and had already worked out they had enough with about 8 games to go and went on holiday :D

I wish Gutierrez had emerged in PES6, he sounds quite a player. It looks like good timing to be able to get 2 new players with the defence in need of surgery. Problem is, as always, are there two good defenders available at the time you need them. Another great part of this challenge, of course, are the good re/newgens in the position you need around and available to sign at the time you need them. Fingers crossed there's at least one standout defender available. That sounds like the key to deciding whether you can challenge for the title next season. However finding the right players and them being ready to step straight in is by no means a given as we know.

For all I care, everyone here could be playing on amateur/1-star and winning every match 20-0...as long as one is happy and enjoys the game(s), that's fine. Remember why we're here: to share our passion for retro-PES with a friendly community, playing the games as each one of us wants to. We're not here to find out who's the best PES player around, there's a place for that and it's the online lobby of any modern PES game - and see for yourselves how that has been working out when it comes to building a healthy, positive environment...
I don't remember if i have posted this here again, but a close friend of mine, whome we used to play our KONAMI cups in pes6 pvp, never achieved to win a single competetion against me. I always smashed him. In pes 2011 due to sides-locker we played only friendly matches but i keeped winning him game after game, i even won him with AEK Athens (me) VS Barcelona (him). So the strange part was in ML against the AI he used to advance in the hardest difficulty while i struggled in TopPlayer and i did well only in Professional.
What i want to say, further to what miguel correctly said that we are not here to prove anyting to others, is that playing against the AI does not prove nothing, either you are a good player because you win the AI or you are a bad because you lost. And especially i believe retro ML is more for the stories produced ongoing and lastly for the wins and the cups.

Last edited:

I don't remember if i have posted this here again, but a close friend of mine, whome we used to play our KONAMI cups in pes6 pvp, never achieved to win a single competetion against me. I always smashed him. In pes 2011 due to sides-locker we played only friendly matches but i keeped winning him game after game, i even won him with AEK Athens (me) VS Barcelona (him). So the strange part was in ML against the AI he used to advance in the hardest difficulty while i struggled in TopPlayer and i did well only in Professional.
What i want to say, further to what miguel correctly said that we are not here to prove anyting to others, is that playing against the AI does not prove nothing, either you are a good player because you win the AI or you are a bad because you lost. And especially i believe retro ML is more for the stories produced ongoing and lastly for the wins and the cups.

I agree with you guys this thread is really about sharing the great experiences we are having with Retro PES, we are not trying to be the best. Even during the online WC it was good to see sportsmanship.

Even when i play against my brother, we normally speak about how good or bad the actual teams or players are not about how good or bad i or he is. :)

I play on 3 star usually. :P but I totally agree ^~^

Finally had a go on WEJL2008 late last night, only had a couple of quick games due to little time but..

..This is the first time I've played 2008 on PS2 which this game is based off and I see what y'all mean about how different but also how pleasurable it feels to play. Dribbling and movement is peak here and if only this was the version ported to PC instead of what we got. This really would've been standard-bearer for the modding community instead of PES6.

Seems like almost all Japanese teams have authentic faces for their starting lineups and the extra stadiums is a nice authentic touch. If only I could find a live version of Fernando's translation patch for this and I'd jump into a J-League in a heartbeat.

No gifs today as my gfx card wasn't capturing footage from PCSX2 for some reason so i'll look into that and I'm going through a goal drought on all my foot games over the last 2 days. But I never settle for anything other than the top difficulty. That's the challenge. Like a struggling team who goes on a goal-less streak in a league, when it comes it'll be a victory in of itself.

100% agree with Miguel and Slam.

To me We/IssPro/Pes has always been mainly a generator of football stories. You could play a long or short ML, a cup or more ones tied, a league, even friendlies.. doesn't matter, I always see some kind of narrative paralleling the real life one arise. The unique characteristics of those games created a mix no other sport saga was ever capable of give me. I've drifted so far away from the "beat the game just to beat it" concept.. as this precise topic reminded us, there is a million funnier things to do in the meantime! At this point it's more like how you choose to beat the game than else. And how you want to shape that experience it's only up to you.

Jesus wept, I am starting to really suck at PES 3, losing my touch. May have to go back to playing PES 2, that was the game I was best at.
:THINK::THINK::THINK:

BTW: does any know if Konami has ever put restrictions on salaries for COM teams ? They don't get game over if they run out of points I guess. I played yesterday Rekordmeister (BM) and they had: Elber, Santa Cruz, Veron, Roy Keane, Rivaldo, Guardiola and Lizarazu all in the same team.

WTF can my salary capped little team do ? :DOH:

100% agree with Miguel and Slam.

To me We/IssPro/Pes has always been mainly a generator of football stories. You could play a long or short ML, a cup or more ones tied, a league, even friendlies.. doesn't matter, I always see some kind of narrative paralleling the real life one arise. The unique characteristics of those games created a mix no other sport saga was ever capable of give me. I've drifted so far away from the "beat the game just to beat it" concept.. as this precise topic reminded us, there is a million funnier things to do in the meantime! At this point it's more like how you choose to beat the game than else. And how you want to shape that experience it's only up to you.

Perfect. Since I was a kid me and my brother would try and replicate World Cups, Champions Leagues, Domestics... where we'd select every team in the competition and split them between us and just play. Some fantastic memories and stories unfolded and I'm gutted Youtube didn't exist back when I had the free time to document them.

Nowadays I tend to do this by myself as I'm older and have no friends (:LOL:) but there's still that same sense of magic and storytelling there, I did some on my Youtube channel most recently of Euro 2004 and every now and again, I go back and watch my own series just because it reminds me how thrilling it was to watch as some of those games unfolded and how it made me feel even though it was against myself.

@MafiaMurderBag Agree with everything you said above as well^.

Also really glad you are enjoying We 2008! As I said in the other topic, it seems to me (I still have to decide if that's just an impression) that Pes 2008 at top player is still a bit more difficult than this one at his fifth level, but as you probably noticed there is a sixth level to unlock that should bring the challenge even (or possibly higher?).

Back
Top Bottom