The Retro-PES Corner

Sometimes missing feels better than scoring as it adds to the excitement and the tension...

giphy.gif

I just had a great game against Bournemouth. Second game of the new season and i noticed that they had 3 players booked in the first game. It turned out that that aggression carried on into the next game.

There were 5 bookings about 13 fouls and 4 injuries. Great stuff.

@geeeeee Unfortunately I'd have no idea how to do, I'm not an expert of Pc editing let alone Ps2 one.

Awesome save by Lloris in your gif, anyway. I truly love the one hand dives like that one in Pes 2008 (I generally think the GK of this game is one of the most satisfying out of them Ps2 all). By the way, something I wanted to ask you from some time, are you using a patch for the kits? Or you edited them out yourself?

@slamsoze mate I'd like to help you but Pes 6 isn't my forte. I can't remember such a bug to exist. Are you using a patched game?

@Madmac79 Where did you get the DL for the J-League version? Any link? I've never played that.

@slamsoze I can't say that I've ever really noticed that happening. What about if you try a different formation?

@geeeeee Great stuff :) I know exactly what you mean. There is something immensely satisfying about hitting the post with a shot.

Forgot to put the pts for last game. We are carrying them on right?

We need to put an end of week tally in a post I think otherwise it's going get impossible to keep track. Maybe we should have a list of the teams and put the pts alongside them, then the next person who plays a game pastes that list and adds the winning point on to the team that won if there was a winner.

Just played Arsenal v Chelsea (me)

Absolutely brilliant match! Really intense. I got off to an awful start, letting Xhaka run through unopposed before he rifled in a low shot into the bottom corner beyond the keeper. This happened in the first minute! After that it was just a cracking game, both defences were on top getting in vital tackles just before shots could be taken. When I did get shots Cech was up to the task making 2-3 very good saves while at the other end Elneny shot just wide. Try as I might I couldn't find an equaliser and it ended "One nil to the Arsenal!" Arsenal also picked up two yellow cards. One a cynical hack from behind by Elneny!

score.jpg

So, from my two games tonight...
Cardiff 0pts
Newcastle 1pt
Chelsea 1pt
Arsenal 0pts

I may make my eighth attempt at the old Default Originals Challenge tonight in PES 6 edition. My main man @miguelfcp has provided some jewels of tips and the PES 5 Online manual is as good for the next game too and it is stuffed with additional information you thought never existed.

Snack time for me. :SNACK:

I was reading something in that manual and I thought, I wonder if that is no longer in the game which is why everything appears so scripted now and they bring in features like varied shots as if it's something new despite it being in the game 10-15 years ago. The phrase was used by Seabass in his comments several times - real time physics engine. That, surely was what gave the unpredictability because it really did matter what speed the ball was going, what height it was, how the player was standing, was he off balance, under a challenge, did he catch it right, was it his weaker foot and so on. Now I've read that a player has to have the right card to do certain shots. To put it bluntly , what a load of bollocks.

@Madmac79 yeah it happes ni many patched games i use by sanny but i dont think it is the case as it used to happen also to my vanilla game that i edited only the OF.
@mattmid it seems to happen to formations that dont have SMF's. 4-2-1-3 and 4-1-2-3 for sure/Havent try with 5 in defence line to be honest.
Thanks for the feedback anyway

Last edited:
@Madmac79: Great post Mad. I'm glad you brought it up because that's a game that definitely needs attention: 60 stadiums, most of them us non-japanese guys here have never even seen them, let alone play a PES match on it? Playing a league that gets little attention here in the west, with classic-PES gameplay? Where do I sign?
Truth is I never touched any of those J-League games, now I'm curious.

@WhoAteMeDinner: Good luck! I think you'll be fine once you're able to bring in those sweet sweet newgens. That's really what makes the difference in this challenge...

@slamsoze: I've always had that issue in older retro-PES games. Ironically, now on my 2008 ML I'm using a 3-5-2 with wing-backs instead of sidebacks and they...lose less stamina. They should lose more as WBs, because they're told to run up and down the wings the whole match, covering a huge portion of the pitch unlike your typical SB who only goes forward when there's an interesting opportunity for it (whereas WBs always go up no matter what and always go back to help the 3 centre-backs as well). It helps that Ruskin has 90 stamina and the other WB, El Moubarki, has 80+ I believe, but so far I was never forced to sub them off as I often have to do when I'm playing sidebacks instead of wingbacks.

@mattmid: I didn't know whether the World Live Season idea would have traction so I said nothing about building a ranking, wasn't sure if there'd be enough people playing it. The best solution for me is the one you mentioned: having each user, when posting about their match(es), updating also the standings themselves.

I'm thinking of creating a PDF or a simple Word document with some of the stuff we have going on here, such as the Goal of the Week and the World Live Season, explaining the rules and the proceedings and all that jazz. For example the posts I made introducing both "competitions" will soon be buried, it's easier for both a newcomer here and the regulars as well to have all the information on a document (which I'd put on the first post of the thread) without having to go through almost 80 pages of content we currently have on the Corner just to find a single post that has the info they need. What do you guys think?

@miguelfcp Man, no idea if it's also your cup of tea, but I've briefly revisited some of those stadiums and they are adorable.. there are bigger ones of course, but the smaller from (presumably) the J-League 2nd division are doing the trick from me, they are so nicely detailed and they perfectly reflect and capture that intimate small league stadium feel :LOVE:

@Madmac79: Absolutely! I chose Ennio Tardini as my home stadium for my beloved ML United because it's that typical small but cozy venue. Given we're now a powerhouse in our league I should've changed it into one that fits our new status, such as a Porto Folio or a Nakhon Ratchasima or some gigantic stadium like that, but I just can't.
That first stadium you showed is just beautiful. I love those reaally small stadiums, wish PES had more of those.

Goal of the week entry for me.

WE 9 Master League

Not a cracking goal by any means, but here I am playing as a fixed player, (Davids) and I got perfect positioning for a rebound header.

@Special4988 , good goal for Edgar Davids as he does not exactly provide a goal threat. When did the option to play as just one fixed player come in by the way ?

@Madmac79: Great post Mad. I'm glad you brought it up because that's a game that definitely needs attention: 60 stadiums, most of them us non-japanese guys here have never even seen them, let alone play a PES match on it? Playing a league that gets little attention here in the west, with classic-PES gameplay? Where do I sign?
Truth is I never touched any of those J-League games, now I'm curious.

@WhoAteMeDinner: Good luck! I think you'll be fine once you're able to bring in those sweet sweet newgens. That's really what makes the difference in this challenge...

@slamsoze: I've always had that issue in older retro-PES games. Ironically, now on my 2008 ML I'm using a 3-5-2 with wing-backs instead of sidebacks and they...lose less stamina. They should lose more as WBs, because they're told to run up and down the wings the whole match, covering a huge portion of the pitch unlike your typical SB who only goes forward when there's an interesting opportunity for it (whereas WBs always go up no matter what and always go back to help the 3 centre-backs as well). It helps that Ruskin has 90 stamina and the other WB, El Moubarki, has 80+ I believe, but so far I was never forced to sub them off as I often have to do when I'm playing sidebacks instead of wingbacks.

@mattmid: I didn't know whether the World Live Season idea would have traction so I said nothing about building a ranking, wasn't sure if there'd be enough people playing it. The best solution for me is the one you mentioned: having each user, when posting about their match(es), updating also the standings themselves.

I'm thinking of creating a PDF or a simple Word document with some of the stuff we have going on here, such as the Goal of the Week and the World Live Season, explaining the rules and the proceedings and all that jazz. For example the posts I made introducing both "competitions" will soon be buried, it's easier for both a newcomer here and the regulars as well to have all the information on a document (which I'd put on the first post of the thread) without having to go through almost 80 pages of content we currently have on the Corner just to find a single post that has the info they need. What do you guys think?

Thanks @miguelfcp mate, certainly hope there are a few more new gens as good as Ruskin and Jaric, so far they are the only ones that rival the old guard I am so attached to.
:LOVE::LOVE::LOVE:

I was reading something in that manual and I thought, I wonder if that is no longer in the game which is why everything appears so scripted now and they bring in features like varied shots as if it's something new despite it being in the game 10-15 years ago. The phrase was used by Seabass in his comments several times - real time physics engine. That, surely was what gave the unpredictability because it really did matter what speed the ball was going, what height it was, how the player was standing, was he off balance, under a challenge, did he catch it right, was it his weaker foot and so on. Now I've read that a player has to have the right card to do certain shots. To put it bluntly , what a load of bollocks.

@mattmid , are you winding me up matters dude ? Cards instead of stats and ability stars ? The PES makers must have lost the plot and been looking at American sports video games. Baseball or some old guff like that. Am I glad that a new PES game has not entered my gaff in ten years.
Seabass must have hit mid-life and stopped giving a toss, not very Japanese of him.
:R1:R1:R1

@WhoAteMeDinner I don't think he's involved any more is he? Which is probably part of the problem! They have stats although also a horrible overall stat that means nothing and tells you nothing really as @miguelfcp talked about a while ago. I think the 'cards' mentioned are special abilities but they are massively expanded and appear to have things like being capable of a certain type of shot, for instance the one I read about said a dipping shot. I guess that's their new way of trying to make individuality rather than letting the stats decide. No wonder we're all in here playing the older ones.

Last edited:
@WhoAteMeDinner I don't think he's involved any more is he? Which is probably part of the problem! They have stats although also a horrible overall stat that means nothing and tells you nothing really as @miguelfcp talked about a while ago. I think the 'cards' mentioned are special abilities but they are massively expanded and appear to have things like being capable of a certain type of shot, for instance the one I read about said a dipping shot. I guess that's their new way of trying to make individuality rather than letting the stats decide. No wonder we're all in here playing the older ones.

@mattmid , Yeh me and @miguelfcp were discussing at length how a page and half of detailed player stats and three more pages of special abiliy, position and physical data had to be read through carefully to pick the best player to buy for your ML squad in all retro-pes games. An overall player rating number is pure bolloxology as it either means that the aforementioned pages of detailed data are now meaningless or the general rating number itself is tosh.

I just bought a player yesterday for my PES 3 Master League called Tamue, as Miguel says some players that look awful on the stats can be game changers. This Albanian CF giant is one of those gems. His stats are nearly all bog standard numbers in the 70s and he is slow and not even supposed to be good in the air based on the heading stat.

Tamue has scored four headers in three games in the WEFA qualifiers so far.
:THINK::THINK::THINK:

Was doing some lunchtime research on the aforementioned WE:J League 2008 and it certainly seems like a hidden PES treasure. Looking forward to trying it tonight just for the authenticity of the J league alone, may only know a few of the national players from that era though but would be fun getting to know them.

@Madmac79 is there a good variety of Japanese player faces too across all teams?

Found a thread for this game on this site from 2008 - Very surreal to go back and read about the speculation and some of the early animosity towards Konami and the decline in quality on the then current gen. To bad a lot of the screenshots and links to the translation patches are dead.

https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/winning-eleven-j-league-2008-just-announced.47675/

@WhoAteMeDinner

Yeah, that has been my only goal so far this season with Davids through 7 games, but it was special because we were locked into a 0-0 draw until that happened late in the game. It's incredible how much Stamina Davids has. I have been playing more of a Kante role of protecting my back 4, and it seems working because we have only allowed 2 goals so far.

Hmm not sure when "fixed player" was put in. To be honest my first PES game was WE 9,(annoying they had different names back then).

@geeeeee As a fellow Spurs fan I love that Lloris save. Looked just like him

Last edited:
@mattmid , Yeh me and @miguelfcp were discussing at length how a page and half of detailed player stats and three more pages of special abiliy, position and physical data had to be read through carefully to pick the best player to buy for your ML squad in all retro-pes games. An overall player rating number is pure bolloxology as it either means that the aforementioned pages of detailed data are now meaningless or the general rating number itself is tosh.

I just bought a player yesterday for my PES 3 Master League called Tamue, as Miguel says some players that look awful on the stats can be game changers. This Albanian CF giant is one of those gems. His stats are nearly all bog standard numbers in the 70s and he is slow and not even supposed to be good in the air based on the heading stat.

Tamue has scored four headers in three games in the WEFA qualifiers so far.
:THINK::THINK::THINK:

That Tamue guy is propably the Albanian striker called Igli Tare. I also found him to be quite a good striker for a ML save. He's like a poor man's Jan Koller :DD

I've been playing a bit of PES 3 ML for a few days and am still enjoying it. Obviously it's quite a hard game to master (I'm still playing on the 3 star difficulty), but that makes it more interesting for me. My team (called Hammers FC) is playing in a 4-5-1 formation with the following players:

GK: Kameni (bought), has 90 response and 80+jumping. Goalkeeper skills are mid 70's.
SB:New guy who's name I can't remember (trade deal)
SBT:Perrier Doumbe (trade deal), fast central defender, which is needed with Vornander next to him.
SBT:Vornander
SB:Edingson
DMF:Celnili
DMF:Iouga
SMF:Ximelez
AMF:Minanda
SMF:Macco (or that other smf bloke)
ST:Luca Toni (trade deal), we all know this guy.

At this moment we aren't doing that well. We won the 1st game against Azur (Monaco) and since then we haven't won a game (we are 5 games in the season). The inability to score goals (shooting is quite different in PES 3 if you're used to the later games) has been our main concern.

Also: that Japanese PES/ Winning Eleven game looks really nice. I would definitely like to try that one out.

@MafiaMurderBag To tell the truth I haven't paid much attention to faces and can't check at the moment. Given how much this game seems polished with all this local stadiums tho, I'd be surprised if they didn't reproduced at least a good number!

That Tamue guy is propably the Albanian striker called Igli Tare. I also found him to be quite a good striker for a ML save. He's like a poor man's Jan Koller :DD

I've been playing a bit of PES 3 ML for a few days and am still enjoying it. Obviously it's quite a hard game to master (I'm still playing on the 3 star difficulty), but that makes it more interesting for me. My team (called Hammers FC) is playing in a 4-5-1 formation with the following players:

GK: Kameni (bought), has 90 response and 80+jumping. Goalkeeper skills are mid 70's.
SB:New guy who's name I can't remember (trade deal)
SBT:Perrier Doumbe (trade deal), fast central defender, which is needed with Vornander next to him.
SBT:Vornander
SB:Edingson
DMF:Celnili
DMF:Iouga
SMF:Ximelez
AMF:Minanda
SMF:Macco (or that other smf bloke)
ST:Luca Toni (trade deal), we all know this guy.

At this moment we aren't doing that well. We won the 1st game against Azur (Monaco) and since then we haven't won a game (we are 5 games in the season). The inability to score goals (shooting is quite different in PES 3 if you're used to the later games) has been our main concern.

Also: that Japanese PES/ Winning Eleven game looks really nice. I would definitely like to try that one out.

I didn't find any "easy" way to score yet in PES 3, unlike some others PS2 PES, so it remains a challenge for me against the CPU. Can't believe how guys like @Anjin manage to crush nearly every opponent.

Was doing some lunchtime research on the aforementioned WE:J League 2008 and it certainly seems like a hidden PES treasure. Looking forward to trying it tonight just for the authenticity of the J league alone, may only know a few of the national players from that era though but would be fun getting to know them.

@Madmac79 is there a good variety of Japanese player faces too across all teams?

Found a thread for this game on this site from 2008 - Very surreal to go back and read about the speculation and some of the early animosity towards Konami and the decline in quality on the then current gen. To bad a lot of the screenshots and links to the translation patches are dead.

https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/winning-eleven-j-league-2008-just-announced.47675/
Lol total sureal. Did the spanish licenses got lost that year for the PES version (2009) or the posters in the topic used to thought that the J-League version should have EU clubs?
Also @Madmac79 since you are playing it now,tell us about pitch/turf,is it better than current gen!!! :P :D No im kidding, i just wanted to asked you what is this "fantasista" mode?A type of BAL game mode?

Lol total sureal. Did the spanish licenses got lost that year for the PES version (2009) or the posters in the topic used to thought that the J-League version should have EU clubs?
Also @Madmac79 since you are playing it now,tell us about pitch/turf,is it better than current gen!!! :P :D No im kidding, i just wanted to asked you what is this "fantasista" mode?A type of BAL game mode?

I haven't played it my friend, but I'm 100% sure Fantasista it's the precursor of the BAL mode as I can recall it being talked about years and years ago from who had the japanese games as an absolute novelty of the saga with more or less those same features of the BAL (single player career with offers from other clubs and so on).

There are indeed some intereresting turfs, for example the night/rainy stadium I posted in the other page totally looks like it has a clay pitch in those conditions O_o, even if I don't know if it was the intent of who put it there or even if under other settings it has another look. Something else to check I guess :P .

@MafiaMurderBag: Interesting read. I didn't know that a version of Become a Legend was in J-League earlier than it was on PES (introduced in PES09).

@WhoAteMeDinner and @mattmid: From PES15 to PES16, the number of player stats available was cut down to around half, talk about over-simplifying the game...anyway, the introduction of the overall player rating had already paved the way for that early on.

@MafiaMurderBag: Interesting read. I didn't know that a version of Become a Legend was in J-League earlier than it was on PES (introduced in PES09).

@WhoAteMeDinner and @mattmid: From PES15 to PES16, the number of player stats available was cut down to around half, talk about over-simplifying the game...anyway, the introduction of the overall player rating had already paved the way for that early on.

Konami.....:RANT::RANT::RANT:

@miguelfcp I learned that this fantasista mode goes as back as J-League Winning Eleven 2007! I don't understand which western title is the equivalent of this one, since Pes 6 had WE 10 and Pes 2008 WE 2008. Probably there isn't one I guess.

Very strange that they kept this mode locked from europeans for practically two years, maybe the fact they had all those other problems jumping to Ps3/360 gen contributed to this decision!

Ι remember the first year they imported Overalls was 2009nextgenit .My first thought was "Wtf who was the genius who took over the old polygons to give us some plain two-digit numbers" It looked so NBAish and FIFA-ish to my eyes .Furthermore i needed 10 minutes to compare stat sheets for setting up my formation because they had removed the Holy Grail Mega Ultra Superb Ergonomic Stats polygon of the ps2era. Honestly this polygon for me used to do 50% of the job in setting a teamplan. Even other crappy iterations, like the pes2011 polygon which was so small that seemed almost the same for every player, or the polygon we have today since 2016,cant even come close to the good old stats polygon of ps2 era ,with which from a point of time and after, i could have a first idea of the players playstyle by only watching its shape.It had the most important & basic stat that matter most not todays bullshite.
clockwise. ATT,TEC,STA,DEF,BAL(ance),SPE (ed).When the current polygon has dribling,passing,shooting wtf??Not even close to ergonomic at least for my personal taste to give me an early pictute of players stats.
2015->2016 yeah you mean the removal of combined abilities stats likes penetration,vision etc.The most accurate move to convert your cyber-consious AI players into soulless dummies with basic stats and flat traits.

I agree with both of you, the mess they did with stats to me is the most unforgiving, blasphemous thing they could have ever done to the saga. That's why old games still feel alive (even the "worse" ones), and those incredibly looking chapters of the last years simply not.

My only hope is that with the next obligatory engine change due to Ps5/XB2 they'll put back in stats relevance as we knew it, but I'm not holding my breath honestly :( . Every day that goes by, I'm growing more sure we'll only see redemption with an hypothetical outsider SH developing football in another way (the right, faithful one).

@slamsoze: Exactly, those stats. It brings us to an interesting point in time where a 15-year-old PES has more stat depth than the most recent versions. Go figure...
I've just found out that there are no mental stats as well on any recent PES. I was under the impression there was still Work Rate and Tenacity ratings (in retro-PES terms, Teamwork and Mentality) but it seems to have vanished a few years ago already. Incredible stuff really...

Back
Top Bottom