The Retro-PES Corner

Guys, before I upload the files, I have a question. I decided to import music from WE7I Japan version which I think it’s much better :) For some reason though everything imports well and plays well except the edit theme song, although it imports into the data_e just fine, it still plays the original music when I go in the Edit mode in the game. What makes it even more strange is that, I bought BGM from the WE-shop and I can hear it there just fine too. It’s track #13. Any one has an idea why this is happening as it doesn’t make sense to me one bit:?

Sorry man, I have no idea, I understand nothing about external editing! hope somebody can help you, I really want to see your patch :D!

2018 World Cup

Group C

Australia 2-0 Peru
Leckie
Patratos

Australia take a comfortable 2-0 win with a goal in each half.

France 3-0 Denmark
Dembele
Pogba
N'Zonzi

France and Denmark actually share 20 shots in the game but it's the French who make them count, racing into a 3-0 lead after just 30 minutes before seeing it out with the help of a couple of good saves from Loris

Group D

Croatia 1-1 Iceland
Rakitic ____ Skulason

Iceland take a first half lead but Rakitic hits back late on to grab a point

Argentina 2-1 Nigeria
Augero (2) ____Iwobi

Argentina take an early group lead but not without a scare first as Iwobi gave Nigeria the lead before a brace from Aguero turned things around.

@miguelfcp I was surprised with that result, they looked really good. Although the games aren't in the same order I'm putting in the team they used in the first games and the formation as well. Of course subs will be different as I have it set on auto but I don't mind that.

World Cup 2018

Group E

Switzerland 2-1 Costa Rica
Seferovic______Urena
Shaqiri

Switzerland took the lead early on but Urena quickly eqaulised for Costa Rica before Shaqiri got what proved to be the winner just before half time.

Brazil 0-0 Serbia

A good performance from Serbia as they held Brazil to a 0-0 draw. Jesus went close with a shot grazing the post and Tadic hit a great volley that went just over for Serbia.

Group F

Sweden 1-0 Mexico
Berg

Sweden took a first half lead through Berg and saw it out comfortably restricting Mexico to just three shots, two of which were in the closing minutes.

Germany 2-0 South Korea
OG
Werner

Germany recorded a comfortable victory over South Korea with a first minute own goal followed up by a neat finish from Werner. Kroos missed two late chances to add to their tally.

Didn't realise it was an actual word.
Who in the ML default squad is most likely to have played for his country at this year's World Cup? :D

@Titch: Saudi Arabia was so poor against Russia that it wouldn't be so bad if Russia started Ivarov instead of Akinfeev.

Meanwhile, I just reached the semi-finals with Angola on PES2010!

Group phase: Angola 2-1 Mexico; Angola 0-0 Greece; Angola 2-4 Brazil
Round of 16: Angola 2-0 USA
Quarter-finals: Angola 1-0 France
Semis: Angola 0-1 Italy

Which PES 3 Option File editor is the best? I tried to find an PesFan editor but then I remembered that the first version came out for the PES 4 :(

Yo the world cup happened and I kinda get the itch to play PES again...

Reinstalled PES 5 on my PC after upgrading to Win10. Runs surprisingly good. Got kingsley's upscaled .exe and kitserver to get it all running in Full HD, just need some sweet-ass sweetfx to match it and it will be awesome. I kinda wanna play around with national teams for now, just to see what's up again.

Truth is, I am pondering whether I should buy PS2 again or not. On the one hand, I could easily get some older PES games I've barely scratched (mostly PES 3, I've played only a few games on PC like 15 years ago or so) and also all the newer PES games made for PS2 which seem to enhance PES5/6 winning formula.

But now the scary thoughts come in. Here I am, on my PC, with 1080p, 60fps, excellent graphics and all sorts of mods and patches if need be. Can I honestly go back to playing this on an oldschool TV without all those convienent thingies? It's weird. I want to do it, because my options on PC are PES 5 and 6 only.

I am confused, what should I do? There are still a few places to get PS2 games here, and I've seen everything ranging from PES2 to PES 2013, even that PES Management thing - what is it even? I still have a week to decide (until I get my monies), and its not an easy one, no no no...

Either way, I appreciate this thread so much. I think I might blast a tourney of some sort too, maybe a world cup in PES 5? I seem to enjoy PES 5 more than PES 6, but the latter has International Challenge and I like it a lot.

Might play PES 5 with vanilla OF and PES 6 with some 2018 patch I think that would be ok.

EDIT: Can you use PS2 discs on PS2 emulator? That would solve the issue for me.

Last edited:
Think you can with PCSX2. Never tried though.

PESM was crap, also if your getting a PS2 get a set of component cables, don't use composite or it will look shit on an flatscreen.

PES1 is good too, reminds of ISSpro2 with far enhanced graphics. Also, keep in mind pes1 was on CD not DVD (Blue Disc) fat ps2s cant read them well after some time without a laser change or recalibration

@fmicablues7: Thanks a lot man, this is a fundamental tool for my retro-PES editing toolbox.

@Anjin Miura: Welcome to our Corner mate, hope you enjoy it here.
These days if you have a decent PC you're able to play PS2 games (and run them smoothly) through an emulator so there isn't much to convince you to buy a PS2. I know that once mine dies I'll get another one but will be mostly because of me wanting to keep a (physical) retro collection, also playing the PS2 is a nostalgic experience for me which I just don't get when I use the emulator.
Then, you have the unmatchable amount of mods available out there for PC PES...
Whatever you decide, you'll be fine. You can easily find cheap PS2s out there so even if you end up preferring the emulation route you won't lose much - and you get a free nostalgia trip everytime you fire it up.

Regarding PESManagement, sadly I lost the PS2 disc but still have the cover, so from time to time when searching for a PS2 game to play I get that sweet little visual reminder that I can't play it. The problem with PESM can be described in just few words: you can't control the players. Otherwise, it provided an in-depth management experience that neither PES or FIFA had at the time it was released, combined with the great gameplay from PES4 (or PES5? I'm 99% sure it was 4) that no other football management simulator had (or has nowadays, FM's still pretty basic...). I remember the menu layout was poorly organized and hard to navigate through it, but essentially it was torture to let the CPU play the matches instead of playing it yourself and that was a major turn-off.
The only reason why I'd play it in 2018 (someday I'll find that disc!) would be to take advantage of how much more realistic the gameplay is compared to modern-day FM...

@fmicablues7: Thanks a lot man, this is a fundamental tool for my retro-PES editing toolbox.

@Anjin Miura: Welcome to our Corner mate, hope you enjoy it here.
These days if you have a decent PC you're able to play PS2 games (and run them smoothly) through an emulator so there isn't much to convince you to buy a PS2. I know that once mine dies I'll get another one but will be mostly because of me wanting to keep a (physical) retro collection, also playing the PS2 is a nostalgic experience for me which I just don't get when I use the emulator.
Then, you have the unmatchable amount of mods available out there for PC PES...
Whatever you decide, you'll be fine. You can easily find cheap PS2s out there so even if you end up preferring the emulation route you won't lose much - and you get a free nostalgia trip everytime you fire it up.

Regarding PESManagement, sadly I lost the PS2 disc but still have the cover, so from time to time when searching for a PS2 game to play I get that sweet little visual reminder that I can't play it. The problem with PESM can be described in just few words: you can't control the players. Otherwise, it provided an in-depth management experience that neither PES or FIFA had at the time it was released, combined with the great gameplay from PES4 (or PES5? I'm 99% sure it was 4) that no other football management simulator had (or has nowadays, FM's still pretty basic...). I remember the menu layout was poorly organized and hard to navigate through it, but essentially it was torture to let the CPU play the matches instead of playing it yourself and that was a major turn-off.
The only reason why I'd play it in 2018 (someday I'll find that disc!) would be to take advantage of how much more realistic the gameplay is compared to modern-day FM...

@miguelfcp , It is more than nostalgia for me and Playstation 2 PES games. I still maintain that there is some lag with all PES PC version games having played three, where the Playstation is smooth and immediate and the game is just free flowing and natural at all times. All PCs suffer the occasional brain fade freeze for any application which just does not happen on a Playstation 2.

On my third Playstation 2 console now, about my tenth game controller (all that intense gripping of the controllers during tough Master League games crushed them).:BRICK::BRICK::BRICK:

Okay so I did done go ahead and got me PES 5 set up properly (although idk if my sweetfx works or not) and started playing little European Cup with Poland. Since I have nothing unlocked and decided to do it the old-fashioned way, I need PES Points to unlock Superstar this time around. So I need to win trophies. So I will play as Poland.

I am new to Windows 10 and noticed that weird overlay thing popping up whenever I press my xbox button on a controller. Seems I can take screenshots and even record games without much hassle. Granted quality of recordings is meh, but good enough for some chill stuff like this. Also there's some easy trimming tool and I can add some stock generic ass music, and there we go, random competition turned into a small story.

I present you with part one, which is group stage. I've played the entire tourney now, but need some time to cut the goals and write some words.

Without further ados...

European Cup Matchday 1: Poland v Turkey
Incredibly boring game, damn Poland was rusty. Lucky to qualify to Euro Cup (after dramatic play-off with Latvia which ended with 5-5 draw in Riga) underdog, Poland, was thrown into group of pain with dangerous Turks, solid Croatia and title defenders France.

Poland's manager, Sir Anjin, knew what needest be done and set his team up in the fashion of old school 4-3-3 pain train formation. Wide, chaotic wings, midfield that did not make much sense, high-pressing side backs, and one lone target man up front...Poland was set to abuse the shit out of everyone. It was not a fun football. It was a train of kurwa pain, literally speaking.

But Turkey was the one that got away. It was really boring game. No chances at all. We draw 0-0 and Croatia surprisingly defeats France. Things are getting interesting...

European Cup Matchday 2: Poland v France
France, majestic title defender full of splendor and glory, although without licensed kits, were getting ready to quickly dispose of noisy Pollacks and get back on winning track. Żurawski's quick counter goal which made Barthez look like some sort of a goalie noob angered Blue Team tremendously and they came back instantly with excellent team effort finished off by Trezeguet and powerful FK goal from North London's Henry himself.

But holy shit is France's tactics bad! There's always team like that in this game. Ultra-high defensive line. Especially when they're winning. I always knew Ajax is that kind of team, and now France joins the collection.

Blue Team was leading after first half but their blue dream soon turned into blue nightmare. Catastrophic defence, and painful wing abuse of highest degree forced French federation people to quickly grab some plane tickets, pack their thingies up and return to their blue homes in most disgraceful fashion. Żurawski&Co just kept banging in, one after another. Game went from 1-2 to 5-2, making it most goal-full game of the tourney, whatever that means.

Luck was not in Poland's favour elsewhere. Turks came out on top in their game against Croats and promotion situation was still open...

European Cup Matchday 3: Poland v Croatia
Poland knew of Croatia's dangerous capabilities, but ended up being its own worst enemy in this game. None of Croats famous yugo magic was there and victory was ripe for taking. But alas, game turned to fuck in 70th minute when Merseyside Red's goalkeeper Dudek commited a terrifying felony or tomfoolery whatever and passed the ball to the Croatian FW attacking him, I don't even care who he is, but he got a nice gift for free and this is never nice!

Pain train up front was kinda on the slow side that day and we scored nothing. Despite that, lady luck has turned her head towards us as France somehow defeated Turkey and helped us keep second place, thanks to goal advantage over Turks.

And therefore we advance to Final Round of European Cup. Mega lucky! And damn I am rusty! But its great to be home, I genuienly enjoy this.

This is the draw, guess what - we are doomed, but on the other hand we would be doomed either way at this point there's only giants left. Can Pain Train restart itself and wreck some havoc in next games?

Pro Evolution Soccer 5 23.06.2018 23_42_02.png

See and find for yourself next time when it happens something!

_________

@miguelfcp

Oh my reasons are pure nostalgia too, I had PS2 and I played PES 5 religiously, to the point of just winning everything. Why the hell did I even swap it for FIFA 06? I was lured in by the premise of Polish league being included for the first time, but damn this game was WHACK.

PCSX might be a better choice in the end. One game I'm truly after is PES 3, since I don't have PC version. And PESM thing, it costed like 2€ where I've seen it, really that's not money at all :D

I guess I'll postpone buying PS2 for now, since I have PES 5 set up with everything I can enjoy it to full extent.​

Ok, I finally was able to get a game of 2008 on PS2 with Laziele's 2017/18 OF (which does use PSD stats, but no globals, btw) https://www.4shared.com/rar/PZDpc-iVca/PES_LAZIALE_2018.html

I know it was just one game, but I was really impressed ! Felt much more similar to PES 5 for me than the 2 PS2 games which came after that (6 and Winning Eleven 10) Which is a good thing.

Played Spain (me) vs Portugal on top player difficulty and really had trouble containing the cpu as they were shredding my defense pretty good, but I chalk that up to playing on the highest difficulty, as the game did 'feel' really good to me. Hopefully the next level down isn't too easy and it's one of those things where you feel there's too big a gap between difficulty levels and there should be something in between the two.

Also since his OF is a lot more up to date than my PES 5 file is, I'm gonna play this going forward. Wish I had my friend up in NY around for some head to head action, but I guess the cpu will have to do for now, as watching all these World Cup games really got me itching to play now.

Since that game, I've just been tweeking national rosters for WC teams and updating PSD stats for some players here and there.

miguelfcp, sorry for not responding, pes2008 psp is nice and pretty fluid, feels like ps2 pes5 but faster and harder to shoot with better AI

@robao: Hey man, if you want to post your online gaming adventures here on our Corner, you're all welcome to. Good luck for your project, you're helping to keep retro-PES alive!

@WhoAteMeDinner: But on the other hand, graphics-wise there's still a big difference between PS2 and PC. It also depends on which PC you're using, I get so many different results depending on which I'm using for retro-PES.

@Anjin Miura: Awesome write-up! Was France's manager fired? Now you're up against Van Nistelrooy, Robben...let's hope your Zurawski is still inspired as he's shown.
When you mentioned France's tactics, it reminded me of Argentina's in PES5. What a nightmare of team to play against: 3 CBs, ultra-offensive strategy, also very high defensive line and Crespo, Aimar, D'Alessandro, Saviola, Zanetti, Ayala the CB...it's a terrible team to face if you're using a really weak team who naturally has to defend a lot during the match. My Latvia-Argentina faceoff from a few months ago is still fresh in my mind as one of the most intelectually demanding I've ever had in PES.

Oh I know what you mean. I too was lured in FIFA06 mainly because of the portuguese stadiums which PES had never had up until then, but even if I was able to play a full Career Mode season I just had to go back to PES. FIFA PS2 was just miles away from PES' gameplay, if one could overlook the lack of licensing.

@bussinrounds: I don't know for sure but you haven't posted here, did you? So a warm welcome from all of us here at the Corner! I think I've said it here before, OF Laziale for the PSP/PS2 is a masterpiece of amateur editing (both the Classic version and the updated one you're playing). Faces, stats, basic settings, it nails everything with astonishing detail.

@wildwind: I prefer management games on the PC, honestly. There were a few PS2 ones like LMA Manager and others but the menu layout was always too confusing, you really miss using the mouse to navigate like you do on the PC.
Modern-day FM can be overwhelming, too many options (to quote @WhoAteMeDinner 's memorable line, too much "foofery and faffery" around it) which takes a lot of one's time. If you want a more simple, straight-forward game, I'd say CM 01/02. Its community updates the game still - and does it marvellously I shall add - so you can get modern rosters for it. Also the game itself is freeware now.

@Orhainmalz: If you want an OF for it, Laziale is the way to go. I still go back to the Classic version of it from time to time, it's a fantastic OF.

I just made the default squad from PES2 on PES 2018, with their PES 3 names with some tweaks but same base stats (eg ximelez has high long pass ability). I know nothing about modern PES editing lol :p

@Titch i have experience with editing PES5 and now PES2008 but only on ps2.

I havent seen many hidden things but one stat that is not in the game is, i think, “Consistency” for each player. It is different from “Form” because that is also on the same screen. I’m guessing the higher it is then the more consistent a player will play well. I am planning to give top players an 8 in my OF to see if it helps them to perform better, maybe topscorers more often etc...

Another thing that i have done in the past is edit the ML default team. Changing their names, stats, even their looks (so that Minanda would be bald!:CONFUSE:) Changing looks by opening up a second OF and then double clicking the ML player and clicking on another player from the second OF. That exports that player over the ML player.

That was great because it ment getting to know a new default team. But i have since decided to return them to the original defaults solely because of this thread :). Although i have now randomly changed their ages between 18-30 so it gives me more (or less) time to get to know them.

One thing to be careful of which was pointed out to me by @wildwind If you are into changing stats globally, it does not adjust the stats for ML Young players when they appear in the game. I had originally adjusted Speed by -15 in PES2008 because i found it too fast. But when the ML Young appear they are super fast compared to the others even though the editor shows them as slower. So i dont adjust stats globally now.

A lot of useless information i guess and all of which may be completely different in PES3 :P

I need to take a break from PES 3 and i want to start a ML in PES 5 or PES 6. However, i like to use the global adjustments feature in PES Editor to edit the gameplay according to my taste. I wasn't aware of the ML young problem above. Is that the case in PES 5 and 6 ?

Back
Top Bottom