The Retro-PES Corner

Would you share your WE9LE PC patch?
How to connect to your server?

Of course I would. I’ll explain how to connect to it if we get enough people interested. With WE9LE it’s very easy to play online since network module is built in the kitserver.

Yes, we should make some kind of patches archive somewhere indeed.. I started to save what I could on another hard disk, but the amount of stuff at risk of being lost is really big..

By the way, judging by your last line I guess you entirely skipped 2013 then? I had ton of fun, even with some evident flaw probably the last great chapter Konami ever put out (it was the last heavy stats based one after all!). After the new gen came out I never played it again, for some reason only my unconscious knows. I'll gladly try to explore it once again.. with the modded cameras, the forced hi-res and the custom scoreboard it already feels like a new game :D. Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did!

@miguelfcp I was indeed reviewing your suggestions hours ago :) . Very undecided between The Porto, The Mourinho, The Simeone or a broader Salary Cap. Was gonna consider even the 300 as having a minimal roster always intrigued me and I've actually never seriously pulled it out, but this time I'd like to do some good market/scouting around so I don't know, with so few players comes less possibilities in that sense. A lot depends on which edition I'll start one. We'll see!
As for 2013 to be accurate i didn't skip it.From all the pes series only 2014 was the year i completely skipped that year's pes and the basic reason was i was unemployed =no money and my laptop's vga card melted two times the same month so i stayed with my old desktop pc playing mostly pes5/6 and some 13.11-12-13 were games i got dayone but for different reasons i didnt master them.In 11 i played mostly MLO,in 12 something pulled me off the game and in 13 i played 4-5 seasons ML but i didn't take it so serious for unknown reasons.After i read again and again how responsive footy it is i came back many times. For example this time i noticed that all these years i was playing with wrong camera.My favourite cam is the broadcasting from pes 3-4-5-6 era.In 11-13 i took wide cause broadcasting had angles near goal post area.I just noticed in 13 that my new broadcast camera is pitch side which is the camera i use with custom height in 17/18.
So im reintroducung myself to 13.Im trying in superstar which is ultra hard for my skills but i think the script is masked better than the modern games.By now i will build up some World Cups in we9le,pes15,14,13.The only "problem" despite good mods i found is that Iceland is the only national team missing until Pes 16.

All this talk and also PES 3 thread made me just grab PES 3 for PC, somehow I found one physical copy online where I live. Barely managed to set it up yesterday, install some sweetfx and kitserver to up the graphics game, it looks gorgeous. Menus and music have to be one of the best ever. Played two or three games on Regular and it was relatively fun.

Gotta dive into ML today, I just wonder whether to pick one of existing teams, or make my own. I totally don't mind unlicensed teams, as long as its done with style (Chamartin > MD White something) it's 100% fine.

All this talk and also PES 3 thread made me just grab PES 3 for PC, somehow I found one physical copy online where I live. Barely managed to set it up yesterday, install some sweetfx and kitserver to up the graphics game, it looks gorgeous. Menus and music have to be one of the best ever. Played two or three games on Regular and it was relatively fun.

Gotta dive into ML today, I just wonder whether to pick one of existing teams, or make my own. I totally don't mind unlicensed teams, as long as its done with style (Chamartin > MD White something) it's 100% fine.

Hey, how do you manage to install sweetfx for PES3? Whatever I try it doesn't work. Do you use any external tool? Care to share your preset? :)

Thanks anyways man, it is the difference in gameplay pace and ball physics that is killing me. You are right that PES 3 is the toughest test of all as some games you just loose no matter what, the COM teams are unstoppable.

On PES 6, I bought a new camera option in the PES shop, called Birds-Eye view and it is brilliant, the PES game suddenly looks and even plays a bit like Kick Off, Gazza or Sensible Soccer, the camera is so high above the players that you can see almost the whole pitch all the time, very useful for defending with slow defenders. :PRAY::PRAY::PRAY:

Not as hardcore as you guys,playing your Pes 3-4-5-6.
But I’ve decided to rediscover,and discover old game that are new to me.
Bought a ps3 just for that a few years back,probably gonna get a ps2 later on as well to dig even deeper.
Playing a lot of Pes 15-16-17 on my Xbox,but it gets a bit stale and boring after years down that route.

So bought a bunch of the older games for my ps3,10-11-12-13-14.
Been on and off between those the past month.

Started with 11,a good game,feels like the last of the “older” games,but it has a few things bugging me,mainly team mate AI being dull,not taking runs etc.
Went back to 13,a game I played a lot when it came out,still not loving the defending in it,and a scripted nightmare at times.
14 is a new game to me,didn’t play or buy it when it came out.
It could have been a fantastic game,but to unresponsive for me.

So I’m left with Pes 12,a game I didn’t play on release,and it’s also a game that flew under my radar.
But boy o boy it’s a good game.
For me it’s the ultimate Pes game,responsive,a deep ML,tough Ai,great level of fouls etc.
So I decided to do a 10 year ML with Real Betis,haven’t done that since Pes 6.
My goal is to establish Betis as a contender for the title within 5 seasons,then be a power house for at least the next year,all that on a slim budget.
I’m amazed how psyched I am for this.

For me it's a little bit too zoomed out. Shame there isn't one for end to end then it would definitely look like SWOS or Kick Off.

On PES 6, I bought a new camera option in the PES shop, called Birds-Eye view and it is brilliant, the PES game suddenly looks and even plays a bit like Kick Off, Gazza or Sensible Soccer, the camera is so high above the players that you can see almost the whole pitch all the time, very useful for defending with slow defenders. :PRAY::PRAY::PRAY:

That sort of thing in games really annoys me. Having to unlock stuff in a game you have bought! I know it's relatively easy to accumulate the points and on pc you can unlock them in the editor but that's not the point.

As to advice, train that Hamsun up and Big Sam away :) He'll hold everything up with his strength once he's developed.

So bought a bunch of the older games for my ps3,10-11-12-13-14.
Been on and off between those the past month.

14 is a new game to me,didn’t play or buy it when it came out.
It could have been a fantastic game,but to unresponsive for me.
After reading some posts about how good 14 is, I dug out my old PS3 - it was one of the PS Plus games years ago, so I downloaded it, applied the best patch at the time (all still there and working), but couldn't cope with the response lag.

Going back to it now, Jeeeeez. I was hitting passes (PA1-equivalent) and if you're on Top Player or above, against a decent team, the path that the game chooses for each pass is absolutely abysmal! It was blatant that the game was just trying to give the ball to the AI (and I wasn't even playing Master League games)!

Within five minutes I'd conceded two goals trying to pass from RB to a midfielder, and the pass was just telegraphed to the opposition striker! The lack of control is such a throwback to the bad old days, in my opinion.

I'll keep trying but after 5-6 matches I just feel frustrated at the lag, and at not being able to complete simple passes...

@rockstrongo It's Hammarby being top of the league, the world just seems a better place for you now :D

I didn't buy a version from 2009 until 2017 but I think I played every demo but I'm wondering if I did with 12 as I can't recall it. I'll have to have a hunt see if there's a pc demo for 12 kicking around on the internet somewhere.

Talking of 2017 I've just entered stats for one team from my pes6 file (Atl Mineiro) and played an exhibition game against themselves and really enjoyed it. I have no idea on the editing for that outside the game, seems an awful lot of work to use the editors with decrypting and bin files and so on but it is painfully slow to do in game. How can a game go so backward for in game editing? You can't even go 'up' at the top of a menu list to appear back at the bottom so every time you create a player you have to scroll right down the list.

@rockstrongo It's Hammarby being top of the league, the world just seems a better place for you now :D

I didn't buy a version from 2009 until 2017 but I think I played every demo but I'm wondering if I did with 12 as I can't recall it. I'll have to have a hunt see if there's a pc demo for 12 kicking around on the internet somewhere.

Talking of 2017 I've just entered stats for one team from my pes6 file (Atl Mineiro) and played an exhibition game against themselves and really enjoyed it. I have no idea on the editing for that outside the game, seems an awful lot of work to use the editors with decrypting and bin files and so on but it is painfully slow to do in game. How can a game go so backward for in game editing? You can't even go 'up' at the top of a menu list to appear back at the bottom so every time you create a player you have to scroll right down the list.
Editing is always a nightmare and a joy.
And newer games are horrible.
I think the worst example is stadium allocation in fifa,you always go back to the first team in the league,so allocating a league takes forever.

I like doing in games editing,kinda used to that being on xbox one,and now on PS3 for these games and not using a patch,but importing badges and kits and setting the manually.
Which is a part of setting up a ML.
And I love it.
After reading up on Pes 12 in that thread,the game plays the best with the 1.06 patch.
Really a underestimated game.

Yes!
Being top of the league is lovely mate.
We restart the league in a week.
Thanks mate

@WhoAteMeDinner: Definitely bet on Hamsun as Matt said. Also guys like Jaric and Ordaz are worth giving a lot of minutes to. Are you planning to do an Originals challenge or will you eventually buy/sell players?

@rockstrongo: Be sure to tell us all about your ML, seems like an interesting challenge.
I'm 99% sure your beloved Hammarby is in PES2008 (PS2), I remember it had like 4 swedish teams on it. Helsingborgs, AIK, Hammarby and the other I can't remember. Another thing to persuade you to play this version!

About PES14, it was definitely the version I played the less, 1/2 matches and I was done with it. I didn't hate it but certainly didn't persuade me onto playing more, so I ended up getting much more out of the PSP version than the then-current-gen one (PES14 PSP is basically PES13/12/11 PSP only with updated rosters). It's on my "to-revisit list", even if just for a few friendlies.

Can you send me your sweetfx please?

When I was reading through the forum I noticed someone posted a league of the "mediocre" teams (lol!!!) You face in the Europa League qualifiers or in the retro days Intertoto Cup. Was that an edited version of an OF and which game ?

After reading some posts about how good 14 is, I dug out my old PS3 - it was one of the PS Plus games years ago, so I downloaded it, applied the best patch at the time (all still there and working), but couldn't cope with the response lag.

Going back to it now, Jeeeeez. I was hitting passes (PA1-equivalent) and if you're on Top Player or above, against a decent team, the path that the game chooses for each pass is absolutely abysmal! It was blatant that the game was just trying to give the ball to the AI (and I wasn't even playing Master League games)!

Within five minutes I'd conceded two goals trying to pass from RB to a midfielder, and the pass was just telegraphed to the opposition striker! The lack of control is such a throwback to the bad old days, in my opinion.

I'll keep trying but after 5-6 matches I just feel frustrated at the lag, and at not being able to complete simple passes...
Didn't see your post until now @Chris Davies BECAUSE WE'RE BEATING MEXICO WITH 3-0 BABY!!!

I totally agree on 14 mate,I read so much praise for it the past years,both when 17/18 came out and even now.
Loads of players hailing it to be some sort of a pes holy grail.
Guess they haven't played it since then,I don't like it,to unresponsive,no rain in it,which may sound petty,but it effects pace,ball movement etc.
I'm not liking it at the moment at all.
But my experience with Pes 12 on the last patch,the 1.06,Is really really good.
A deep ML,great gameplay where you have to set up tactics properly or you lose.

If you have a PS3 /360 copy of it,or find it dirt cheap,it's a very welcoming break from modern gaming.
Give it a go mate

Truth to be told I just downloaded basic sweetfx and inserted it in my PES3 folder, I have no idea about graphic things whatsoever :D

I just wanted less pixels and more smoothness. And with kitserver I've set camera distance so it's all noice and clear.

Pro Evolution Soccer 3 27.06.2018 17_45_14.png Pro Evolution Soccer 3 27.06.2018 17_45_31.png Pro Evolution Soccer 3 27.06.2018 17_46_05.png

Looks awesome to me :D

If you guys know how to use sweetfx, do you think anything can be done to make game look more flashy or idk like Vice City or something? I love PES3 music already but to be honest what I love more is future funk and it will fit perfectly with this oldschool gem. It's really not neccesary, I was merely wondering if that kinda ting coulda be done.

Whatever!

I think I'll start a ML today. I wonder if I should make some fake Polish team, maybe PES-like version of some existing team so it blends in, and then I just buy best Eastern/Central European players and build a badass themed team.

Either way, gon b a blast! :D

EDIT: Also this thread totally ought to get a pin. It's big and very important for many, many people round these parts.

MEGA EDIT: How about this?!

Pro Evolution Soccer 3 27.06.2018 18_26_21.png
I love that flag editor so much!

Simple idea, simple goal. Commonwealth refers to 16th-18th century Poland, colours are nice red and white. Three-letters short version is full name of the historical state, literally Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. I will build team around players from Poland, former USSR (Ukraine, Belarus, Baltic States), surely enough someone from Hungary (best friends), Czechia, Slovakia, all around Eastern European giant.

Okay lets go!

Last edited:
Where did you guys above read those super impressions of Pes 14 :D ?

I've read a lot of people saying there were very good ideas gave up by later editions like players inertia, ball physics, shoulder to shoulder contact, low shot with triangle etc., ma the general consensus seems to be that overall it was just a little more than a tech demo: super rushed and incomplete product only surpassed in neglectfulness by atrocious next gen 2008.

I've took it again some time ago myself and while I found some aspects really interesting, I got bored by it super quickly, and I also remember why at the times I dedicated it so little time.

Where did you guys above read those super impressions of Pes 14 :D ?

I've read a lot of people saying there were very good ideas gave up by later editions like players inertia, ball physics, shoulder to shoulder contact, low shot with triangle etc., ma the general consensus seems to be that overall it was just a little more than a tech demo: super rushed and incomplete product only surpassed in neglectfulness by atrocious next gen 2008.

I've took it again some time ago myself and while I found some aspects really interesting, I got bored by it super quickly, and I also remember why at the times I dedicated it so little time.
Lots of praise by Pes 18 thread,and 17 and even 19,every time someone (me included) says that Pes 15,with it's issues are probably the "best" modern game when comparing with 17-18 and now impressions of 19,14 always turns up.
The funny thing is.most people remarking on older titles have propably not played them for a very long time.

I've played 11->18 the past two months regularly,think I have MLs going on 11-12-15-16-17-18 just to be able to know what I want out of a game.
It's always easy to remember an old game with tinted eyes

Back
Top Bottom