The Retro-PES Corner

@ahmed_1 No it's for PC is there a way to switch it to PS? Could you load in a ps option file in to the editor and then load the pc one in as a second file and transfer it all over - would that work?

Last edited:
@lazoli I only saw it briefly as I was watching the other game. :)

Did the penalty go to VAR? In which case since when has throwing your leg in between the defender's leg to make contact been a penalty? I can understand being conned in real time but on a replay? I did only see the clip once though so maybe there was something before that?

RRRRRRUBEN ....CAAASTROOOO!

Sorry for poor quality,it's phone movies now that I'm a retro guy!

First league game in my Pes 12 ML with Real Betis.
I've signed Jelen,a polish SS (free agent) and Mikari(LB) from Sochaux.
Will be my only summer signings since my budget is tight.

First game,away to Athletic Bilbao,and the game was awesome,haven't had this much fun in years.
Such a tight game,were I had to change between tactics to keep AB from scoring,gameplay on this game is truly remarkable.
Was going for a 0-0 draw (when was the last time that hapoen to me?)
When the Betis legend Ruben Castro scored the game winner in the 86th minute.
I'm drained after this game.
Is this how it should be?
This much fun?
Anyway,I'm on PA1 20 Min games and professional difficuty (2nd highest).
What a game!

@Anjin: Loving the concept already, keep us updated on your ML. The kit is looking great too, reminds me of a more classy Peru shirt.

@rockstrongo: Glad you're having fun on PES12, I'm kind of jealous because it's one of those games which I still have the box but the disk itself is nowhere to be found. Certainly I'm curious to see how will you enjoy that experience on it, since the last time I played was half a decade ago already...

--
I had an urge to play another WC on PES2010 and f*** it, this time I was going to use an even worse NT than Angola, my last and rather successful try. For the first time, I decided to use Syria.
What a goddamn horrible team they are. No defender has more than 70 defense stat, no striker has more than 73 attack, and if you're familiar with player overalls (a feature that some of you already know I absolutely hate) no player has more than 66.
Decided to set up a kind-of-4-4-2, a very fluid approach to try and mask my team's shortcomings and to take advantage of three decent (rather, "not-horrible") SS/AMF. Since I didn't have any competent striker, I let those three players to roam freely up front where a traditional striker would've been.
0NNQd4v.png
The two shadow strikers double as wingers and sometimes even AMFs, depending on the situation. Offensively, this formation will often appear like a 4-4-2 but the AMF is very offensive minded (he's a natural SS too) so it tends to morph into a 4-3-3. The right-side CMF is a natural SMF so he joins the attack a lot.
Defensively, the AMF joins the three other midfielders and our shape returns to a 4-4-2. Our defensive organization resembles a 4-4-2 flat as the right-side CMF helps our right-back defend the wing.

As for our WC group, we ended up with Uruguay, Portugal and Sweden. Syria's a lucky country indeed.

Fixture 1 vs. Uruguay - Solid exhibition for Syria's first-ever WC match. After an eventless first half, Uruguay's Abreu got a red card and I began to believe...but despite having a few decent chances, they managed to score twice and win the match. Well-deserved win for them.
Syria 0-2 Uruguay

Fixture 2 vs. Sweden - Another decent first half to keep the 0-0 at halftime, though this time around we had clearly the control of the match and the best chances to score.
As the referee blew his whistle for the start of the 2nd half, Zlatan Ibrahimovic decided to display how disgusted he was with his team's performance to his teammates, manager and...well, to the world. Naturally, he would've done it in a way only Zlatan could ever do.

https://streamable.com/sbymi

As Syria attacked he remained in the same position, like a (beautiful) statue. After I lost the ball for a Sweden counter-attack, he remained still. Zlatan glitched? But as soon as the legendary Henrik Larsson passed him the ball, Zlatan reacted and got back to normal.
Anyway, Syria stole Zlatan's spotlight with their first-ever WC goal after a corner-kick. We managed to keep it like this until the end of the match!
Syria 1-0 Sweden

Fixture 3 vs. Portugal - After the 2nd fixture, all of the 4 teams in our group had 3 points! Because of our negative goal difference, only a win would get us to the round of 16. We depended only on ourselves to get there though.
Impossible is nothing, right?
15 virtual minutes in and...Syria scores! Is this real life?
But just 10 more minutes afterwards and they score through a corner, 1-1.
We were able to hurt them on the counter but our efficiency was poor, rarely ever did we bother Rui Patrício. Portugal didn't bother us a lot, but on their only chance on the 2nd half they score, 2-1. The score wouldn't change until the end and Syria was out of the World Cup.

Despite not getting through to the round of 16, Syria's NT returns home with a pleasant memory of winning a WC match - I hereby declare such thing will never happen again! Witnessing Zlatan's diva anthics was a cool experience for them too. Fortunately we don't have that kind of ego problems in Syria's NT because the players are all crap and they know it.

vyRmPQF.jpg

@Anjin: Loving the concept already, keep us updated on your ML. The kit is looking great too, reminds me of a more classy Peru shirt.

@rockstrongo: Glad you're having fun on PES12, I'm kind of jealous because it's one of those games which I still have the box but the disk itself is nowhere to be found. Certainly I'm curious to see how will you enjoy that experience on it, since the last time I played was half a decade ago already...

--
I had an urge to play another WC on PES2010 and f*** it, this time I was going to use an even worse NT than Angola, my last and rather successful try. For the first time, I decided to use Syria.
What a goddamn horrible team they are. No defender has more than 70 defense stat, no striker has more than 73 attack, and if you're familiar with player overalls (a feature that some of you already know I absolutely hate) no player has more than 66.
Decided to set up a kind-of-4-4-2, a very fluid approach to try and mask my team's shortcomings and to take advantage of three decent (rather, "not-horrible") SS/AMF. Since I didn't have any competent striker, I let those three players to roam freely up front where a traditional striker would've been.
0NNQd4v.png
The two shadow strikers double as wingers and sometimes even AMFs, depending on the situation. Offensively, this formation will often appear like a 4-4-2 but the AMF is very offensive minded (he's a natural SS too) so it tends to morph into a 4-3-3. The right-side CMF is a natural SMF so he joins the attack a lot.
Defensively, the AMF joins the three other midfielders and our shape returns to a 4-4-2. Our defensive organization resembles a 4-4-2 flat as the right-side CMF helps our right-back defend the wing.

As for our WC group, we ended up with Uruguay, Portugal and Sweden. Syria's a lucky country indeed.

Fixture 1 vs. Uruguay - Solid exhibition for Syria's first-ever WC match. After an eventless first half, Uruguay's Abreu got a red card and I began to believe...but despite having a few decent chances, they managed to score twice and win the match. Well-deserved win for them.
Syria 0-2 Uruguay

Fixture 2 vs. Sweden - Another decent first half to keep the 0-0 at halftime, though this time around we had clearly the control of the match and the best chances to score.
As the referee blew his whistle for the start of the 2nd half, Zlatan Ibrahimovic decided to display how disgusted he was with his team's performance to his teammates, manager and...well, to the world. Naturally, he would've done it in a way only Zlatan could ever do.

https://streamable.com/sbymi

As Syria attacked he remained in the same position, like a (beautiful) statue. After I lost the ball for a Sweden counter-attack, he remained still. Zlatan glitched? But as soon as the legendary Henrik Larsson passed him the ball, Zlatan reacted and got back to normal.
Anyway, Syria stole Zlatan's spotlight with their first-ever WC goal after a corner-kick. We managed to keep it like this until the end of the match!
Syria 1-0 Sweden

Fixture 3 vs. Portugal - After the 2nd fixture, all of the 4 teams in our group had 3 points! Because of our negative goal difference, only a win would get us to the round of 16. We depended only on ourselves to get there though.
Impossible is nothing, right?
15 virtual minutes in and...Syria scores! Is this real life?
But just 10 more minutes afterwards and they score through a corner, 1-1.
We were able to hurt them on the counter but our efficiency was poor, rarely ever did we bother Rui Patrício. Portugal didn't bother us a lot, but on their only chance on the 2nd half they score, 2-1. The score wouldn't change until the end and Syria was out of the World Cup.

Despite not getting through to the round of 16, Syria's NT returns home with a pleasant memory of winning a WC match - I hereby declare such thing will never happen again! Witnessing Zlatan's diva anthics was a cool experience for them too. Fortunately we don't have that kind of ego problems in Syria's NT because the players are all crap and they know it.

vyRmPQF.jpg
Some great stuff @miguelfcp
Yeah kinda recognise Zlatan there,but suprised he didn't try to sell any products,he's on every commercial break here right now.
Just realised that I don't have Pes 10,gotta go get me a copy,thought I had it!
Pes 12 is a great game,at least I think so,more complex than 10-11.
Smarter runs by the CPU,more solid defending etc
And also compared to Pes 11,a deep and demanding ML.
If you find a copy,I bought mine s few weeks back used at GameStop for €2

I'm pretty hooked at this right now,just came of a beating from Rayo Vallecano,partly a bit scripted,but mainly me setting up my tactics wrong and having crappy CB not dealing with their strikers.
But loving it.
Good luck mate,Syria is a proper challenge:)

Last edited:
@miguelfcp great write up as always man. It seems there is no end to how bad a team one can find by searching enough in this game :D. Loved your tactical approach anyway! 4-4-2 seems like a kind of stationary and ordered/safe module on paper, but in reality it permits to be very creative as you did above. Must revive it too someway, it's been ages since I properly used one in a Pes, some of my real life favourite teams used to play it delightfully in the past.

Last edited:
Some great stuff @miguelfcp
Yeah kinda recognise Zlatan there,but suprised he didn't try to sell any products,he's on every commercial break here right now.
He's doing the same over here. You see him on TV, pick up your phone, and he's on Facebook. All his Visa crap. But I'm not sure why...

[]

@ahmed_1 No it's for PC is there a way to switch it to PS? Could you load in a ps option file in to the editor and then load the pc one in as a second file and transfer it all over - would that work?

AHH shoot! That option looks amazing by the way.

I haven't got PES6 and cannot recall playing it.

So you're saying to download a PES6 OF for PS2 and then the one you created and use the PES editor to combine both using the app from Purple Haze website.

I then would need to convert as only have the MAX drive for my PS2

@ahmed_1 I don't know if that is possible or not, it was just an idea. I've never used ps2 option files but if they load in the editor it seems it would be possible?

He's doing the same over here. You see him on TV, pick up your phone, and he's on Facebook. All his Visa crap. But I'm not sure why...

[]
He's milking it 24-7 right now.
One break he had four different spots
Visa/Samsung/a pharmacy/Bethard
On the other hand, previous WC Becks been on 24/7

Last edited:
@mattmid: As you can see PES2010 is turning out to be much more realistic than one could ever think of. I swear I saw Bashar Al-Assad in the stands too!

@rockstrongo: I think we discussed it around here a few pages ago, PES10 has a fast paced gameplay (particularly when using better teams) and it can turn into a more arcade experience because of that. But the ML alone is worth it, the soundtrack is amazing (thank you PES10 for introducing me to Stereophonics) and, like most retro-PES games right now, it's super cheap.

@Madmac79: Yeah? If you think Syria's bad, wait 'til I get my hands on Iraq! :D
Regarding the tactic, I kind of miss assigning attacking arrows to the players but instead you can define your offensive (and defensive) approach through sliders, so that positional fluidity can be applied too. The problem is, these players are too crappy to understand that fluidity so on many occasions, for example, there's no one in a good position to receive a cross in the box. The price to pay for having a manager with wacky ideas...

@miguelfcp I'm actually ordering Pes 2010 as we speak
€4 for a PS3 copy.
Read that it also has four Swedish teams in it?
Maybe you can verify that.
It's really lovely discovering/rediscover old games,can't wait for my copy to arrive.
Right now I'm excited for PES 19,and I don't really care if it's great or not since I/we have these old games to play if it turns out to be bad

Ps while on the subject of Syria and Assad,hope you haven't missed one of the best TV series around,"Les bureu des legendes"
A French spy series,a Lot of Syria in that one.
Probably top five in my TV series list

@rockstrongo: Never heard of that TV series, it's going to my "to-watch list"!
It has also 4 swedish teams but instead of Helsingborgs, it has Kalmar FF. Also there are lots of fake teams and a whole league comprised of generic Team A, Team B (just like PES6) so it's a good platform to customize at your own will.
Now for the gameplay, some days I love it, some days I can't handle it. Depends on my mood, but often I get a satisfactory experience mostly when I'm using weaker teams. But the beauty of retro-PES - and of having a collection of the majority of all those games - is that you can just fire up whatever kind of PES you feel like playing on that particular day. And fortunately we have a wide range of arcade/simulation versions of PES so, providing you're able to choose, you're likely to be satisfied with your experience.

@rockstrongo: Never heard of that TV series, it's going to my "to-watch list"!
It has also 4 swedish teams but instead of Helsingborgs, it has Kalmar FF. Also there are lots of fake teams and a whole league comprised of generic Team A, Team B (just like PES6) so it's a good platform to customize at your own will.
Now for the gameplay, some days I love it, some days I can't handle it. Depends on my mood, but often I get a satisfactory experience mostly when I'm using weaker teams. But the beauty of retro-PES - and of having a collection of the majority of all those games - is that you can just fire up whatever kind of PES you feel like playing on that particular day. And fortunately we have a wide range of arcade/simulation versions of PES so, providing you're able to choose, you're likely to be satisfied with your experience.
Great news @miguelfcp
Yes so true,you can play a variety of different games depending on mood.
I really should come out of my comfort zone,always play Serie A ML.
But I'm slowly getting there,Real Betis on my 12 ML.
Might do something completely different on Pes 10,might edit a fake/empty league into something different.

I remember on Pes 6 (pc) I always had Serie A,and three mixed leagues
One with Spanish/Portugese/french teams and one with Turkish/Greek/Cyprus in them,and a third with PL/Dutch/German/Scottish/swedish

The French TV show I mentioned kinda went unnoticed for me to, discovered that my Swedish TV had all three seasons on their play,and after it being hailed by friends of mine,comparing it on quality to Sopranos/The wire/breaking bad I watched it back to back

@WhoAteMeDinner: Definitely bet on Hamsun as Matt said. Also guys like Jaric and Ordaz are worth giving a lot of minutes to. Are you planning to do an Originals challenge or will you eventually buy/sell players?

@rockstrongo: Be sure to tell us all about your ML, seems like an interesting challenge.
I'm 99% sure your beloved Hammarby is in PES2008 (PS2), I remember it had like 4 swedish teams on it. Helsingborgs, AIK, Hammarby and the other I can't remember. Another thing to persuade you to play this version!

About PES14, it was definitely the version I played the less, 1/2 matches and I was done with it. I didn't hate it but certainly didn't persuade me onto playing more, so I ended up getting much more out of the PSP version than the then-current-gen one (PES14 PSP is basically PES13/12/11 PSP only with updated rosters). It's on my "to-revisit list", even if just for a few friendlies.

@miguelfcp , am sticking with the Default Originals Challenge, in PES 6 as the Birds Eye Camera view is helping a bit. Agree with you and @mattmid , Hamsun has great potential as a target man.

Still playing PES 3 ML as well, buying and selling in that one, always good to have variety. :shiver:

I love the way the players run on birds eye camera. Just look at the legs :D

Heh heh i thought @WhoAteMeDinner posted this until i saw your name @Titch
Sounds like (or reads like) a post from him :P

Hi to all, what one of you guys was playing PES2008? What difficulty are you playing on?

Ive been struggling so much on Professional so i knocked it up a notch to Top Player and found that the CPU doesnt press so much.

I think the higher the difficulty the easier the game is a common theme with PES.

Finally started a ML with PES 5.

It came to my mind that I've never won the entire thing in a modern PES game with THE guys, so I choosed a default/the originals challenge, and there is no better game than the one I've played the most. I'm using the simple vanilla version (only with kitserver for the LOD and maybe some better weather variation when I'll feel like it) and my own historical, decennal option file/save folder, since almost all the recent famous patches mess up with our favourite guys and it would be nonsense to play it then.
I'm also using a made up team, of course, starting from D2 (into Serie A) with the minimum budget of 5000 points (because otherwise where is the fun.. right?).

It's way tougher than I remember it being! I lost my first two games, playing respectively with a 3-5-2 of default slighty modified and a 4-4-2 with Espimas on the left and Ximelez on the right, but tactics helped me little.. using this guys in the Pes 5 world, where you don't have an ounce of space in the other team half, is both frustrating an awesome at the same time: all the game is a tight midfield battle where due to their bad characteristics I lose duels on duels and I need to make the most out of every chance..

Luckily king Minanda came in my aid and thanks to a wonderful play of our portuguese wonder, for the occasion put as an offensive playmaker in the 4-4-2, I won my third game: free kick at the 25 mt, short touch for him, a step and a low shoot that touches the post and go in! The first three points of my journey.

I don't know when or if I'll get tired of it, my objective would be to win all the trophies of the game (maybe save from D2 cup if I'll get promoted and I'll not win it first shot :P) so the task might be a bit challenging and maybe too long to accomplish, but those three games gave me good vibrations. I'll try to use as many tactic variations as possible to keep the game fresh and we'll see; I'll surely get some newgens as I've never bought them in Pes 5 and I'm dying to see how strong they can become, but I'd love to recompose the original team as well, so when Celnini, Njorgo and the others will spawn too I'll decide what to do.

Back
Top Bottom