The Retro-PES Corner

Ah what I meant was how many players do you know to who have appeared in every game?

Ah what I meant was how many players do you know to who have appeared in every game?

Nice question!

If we just count Pes, Buffon for sure was present in every edition. With Totti retired last year, that's the only one I'd put my hand on the fire for (technically Totti was in this year too even if later the market update deleted him if I'm not wrong, so I don't have idea if we should count him or not.. as a Lazio fan I'd say not :P).

I think it might be as I did have pes4 on the pc and I've played one exhibition match and it does remind me of it a bit.

Just saw this. I have PES4 installed so if you guys want to see the difference I can always live stream and play some games so you can see how it plays compared to PES3:)

Difficult question. One personal fact is that G. Agbonlahor is my most hated opponent. He keeps scoreing against me rapidly in any PES match or ML match, from pes6 (patched) since today pes2018 (31 aged). I think he has personal issues with me! :P

I'm actually torn between 2 and 3 as my favourite ML. Some names have just come flooding back to me. Olisadabe, Oliseh, Arce, De la Cruz, Zahovic :)

Well, in a nutshell, it's all over for Iran at the group stage.

After taking a surprise lead against Ireland in the first half, Keane and Duff hit back in the second half for a 2-1 win for them. Paraguay beat Italy 2-1 as well meaning I was out as that put them on 6 and with Italy and Ireland both on 3 and playing each other there was no way out of the group for me sat bottom with no points.

We had our best game against Paraguay and hit the post and for the first time in the three games had more shots than the opposition, only to lose a late goal to Acuna, who was a danger all game long.

So, in the end, each game was tight but we were on the wrong end of every result.

Iran 0-1 Italy
Iran 1-2 Ireland
Iran 0-1 Paraguay

Italy beat Ireland to finish second. Unfortunately as I went out at the group stage there was no way to see who would have won the tournament.

Back to Domzale for me now until another challenge when the world cup is on.

@mattmid , I did warn you about Keane, Duff and Kilbane, what a team we had back then. :LOVE::LOVE::LOVE:

BTW, am starting my Engerland under achievement challenge tomorrow, in PES 3 of course. How can we lose ? (Channeling my inner-Blighty) :RSCARF:.

We have EMO (England's Michael Owen) who buzzes about at high speed like someone gave him a Wiggo TUE pack. :SHHH::SHHH::SHHH:

Still can't find a recent version of the all national teams patch.
Might even try a classic WC patch.

Decided to make my own patch for PES3. I extracted the uni folder in data_e from Wendetta patch into my data_e. I can see the new kits just fine but the collars are all weird looking. Is there another file I need to patch over from Wendetta to get rid of the funny looking collars? :D

Last edited:
@mattmid unlucky results, but unfortunately group stage was tougher than it looked. Happens, and still part of the fun :D! Which Pes are you playing on anyway? I can't find it going back in the pages (unless you said it and I still missed it.. totally possible).

By the way, I did play a WC on a game I wanted to retake after a long while:

PES 2009
. Necessary premise/small review of the edition itself: I know this game is threated like some kind of half forgotten pariah, in fact it very rarely enters discussions and when it does, I usually hear the worst possible. But I disagree! The big problem of this game is players inertia, that is too "light" with too fast, unnatural change of directions, and a general elevated pace. Other than that? Pure fun! CPU plays fine, with evident tactical adjustments and superstars that actually play like superstars, shooting quality is on par with Pes 2011, gk do a fine job, stamina is super relevant and the variety of situations/goals is quite abudant. Oh, and the ball shielding in which you can actually move shoulders to the goal is a truly nice addition among other things. I still remember one of the most epic ML I've ever played on this title years ago. While not as good or realistic as other chapters, it's the ideal Pes, at least for my tastes, for some carefree, high paced virtual soccer that still retains a good core depth.

By the way I picked up Cote D'Ivoire, as I wanted a decent team. In reality "decent" is a misunderstanding as there is high quality in practically every area of the field: Kolo Toure in the back, Yaya Toure and Zokora in the midfield, Sanogo, Kalou, Kader Keita, Dindande and the monstrous hero Drogba in the forward.. it's a top team in disguise.

I got out of a group stage with Brazil, Sweden and Canada as a good second after Brazil, passed the first turn against Ghana, and then had to give up in the game after as an outstanding Spain bended me in the overtime, in an heated 3-2 for the Red Furies. Brazil ended up winning the Cup.

Good fun! Another chapter to rotate in the future. Now I'll probably do the next WC round with Pes 5 or Pes 6.

@Madmac79 I must have played the pes9 pc demo(if there was one?) but I really don't remember it. The only full version I have since PES2008 is pes17 that I picked up on a steam sale and do enjoy even if it isn't what the retro one's are.

The Iran WC game was on PES3. The Domzale ML campaign is on PES6 using my own Central European leagues option file and the Norwegian Leagues (must get back to those!) is also PES6 on my own option file (not fully finished yet). It has 33 South American teams in it as well (Strange mix I know! but I'd already done that and decided to just continue on with Norway on the same file) so I will do a Copa Libertadores cup at some stage too.

Sounds like a really good WC with Cote D'ivoire. They had a really strong team then and that sounds like quite a game against Spain!

@lazoli: Good luck with your patch, will it be a classic one or updated to the current day?

@Madmac79: Agree with your take on PES2009. For me it's one of the last PES that felt and played like...PES. Besides all you've said about the gameplay, the turf and lightning of that game is just beautiful. Afternoon matches particularly are a joy to behold.
Also it's the last PES ever without the dreadful overall rating for players...

I've been on PES2010 PS3 for the last few days and though I don't understand why they messed up the beautiful turfs and lightning of PES2009, it's really a very good football game. I remember revisiting it a few years ago when I did a few seasons of a ML with Inter and it's bound to be a fast paced experience when your using better players, but playing with the likes of Qatar, UAE and North Korea showcases how difficult it is to get anything done with crappy players and how obvious it is the difference in quality between good and worse NTs.

@lazoli Maybe copy the whole Wendetta kitserver folder over?
If I do that collars look perfect but I’m trying make my own patch. So just copying over the uni folder within dat_e is just not enough. That must be another file needs to be copied over. I think it’s in PES3.exe somehow or over.dat. Hope someone will chime in to help :(

Sorry for the off-topic, as it is PES here and i'll post about ISS. I checked this video and the smoothness of colors and graphics without pixels impressed me. Is there a modded ISS 2000 for N64 or the OriginalPoster here just tuned fine his emulator?I had this game in N64 but i remember it did not looked so good.

@miguelfcp glad I'm not the only one with some love for Pes 2009! For some strange coincidence, the epic ML I was talking about was also with Inter :D. For how fast paced it was, I remember winning that Master as an incredibly fun ride, the cpu giving a SO varied experience during all the competition.. big teams playing like big teams, smaller ones defending, winning one parking the bus.. and top individuality.

The palette was truly outstanding as you said. Plus if I'm not wrong it's the only chapter along with 2010 with an afternoon option.

Last edited:
Sorry for the off-topic, as it is PES here and i'll post about ISS. I checked this video and the smoothness of colors and graphics without pixels impressed me. Is there a modded ISS 2000 for N64 or the OriginalPoster here just tuned fine his emulator?I had this game in N64 but i remember it did not looked so good.

I'm not aware of graphical mods for ISS 2000 my friend. I think this was just some setting that maybe hard emulated N64 native motion blur, that effectively used to cover pixel graphic on tv.

@Madmac79: I admittedly revisit the game often just to witness those beautiful looking dusk matches. As for the gameplay, I believe 2010 stepped it up a bit but both are worth revisiting in that regard too. Also 2009 was a major step up from 2008, it might've been the game that saved the series after 2008's fiasco.

Speaking of me there are many reasons that PES 2009 stayed in the shadows. First of all i played the whole season VS my close friend (arch-rival in pes), only PvP matches, so we tasted some of the flaws of the game. The gliding/sliding fest, the "lightness" @Madmac79 mentioned above, the ultra fast pace. I remember that PES (2009) and 2010 , the strong and pacey strikers like Eto'o, Rooney, D.Milito, David Suazo could run forever without anyone can catch up them or outbalance them.
To be honest 2009 was the only year i did not play any ML. Probably from Madmac's experience and @miguelfcp the game runs much better vs AI.Which has many points as it was next generation AI ps3>ps2, i believe ps3~ps2 gap was bigger then ps2~ps1 and ps4~ps3, just personal estimation. You tempted me to run a ML and check out things now after years past.

To the big picture now, if we assume PES1/2/3/4/5/6 as AAA+ grade titles and PES 2008 as F grade title,possibly after 2008 disaster the community wanted a quick come back fror PES. PES 2009 is sure not an AAA+, but maybe it is a B grade, maybe an A , it surely is more underrated than its real status.

P.S. : I can't really imagine a football game, worse than PES2008 (PC/ps3/nextgen vers)

Last edited:
Speaking of me there are many reasons that PES 2009 stayed in the shadows. First of all i played the whole season VS my close friend (arch-rival in pes), only PvP matches, so we tasted some of the flaws of the game. The gliding/sliding fest, the "lightness" @Madmac79 mentioned above, the ultra fast pace. I remember that PES (2009) and 2010 , the strong and pacey strikers like Eto'o, Rooney, D.Milito, David Suazo could run forever without anyone can catch up them or outbalance them.
To be honest 2009 was the only year i did not play any ML. Probably from Madmac's experience and @miguelfcp the game runs much better vs AI.Which has many points as it was next generation AI ps3>ps2, i believe ps3~ps2 gap was bigger then ps2~ps1 and ps4~ps3, just personal estimation. You tempted me to run a ML and check out things now after years past.

To the big picture now, if we assume PES1/2/3/4/5/6 as AAA+ grade titles and PES 2008 as F grade title,possibly after 2008 disaster the community wanted a quick come back fror PES. PES 2009 is sure not an AAA+, but maybe it is a B grade, maybe an A , it surely is more underrated than its real status.

P.S. : I can't really imagine a football game, worse than PES2008 (PC/ps3/nextgen vers)

Yes, it's unquestionable that the inertia of the players and the general pace were truly terrible in 2009. I don't know what passed in the mind of developers when they gave players such obscene turns and reactions times.

Unfortunately, like all the other games of what I call the "middle" generation (Pes 2009/2013.. as you rightly said, Pes 2008 on PC should be ignored, it was just a cruel joke of a game that should have never been put out), there were elements to greatly enjoy and equal bad stuff that shown how much neglected and rushed out some of those chapters were. In the end they were essentially still heavily stats based game, so depth and a way to enjoy them used to always come up a way or another, no matter the flaws there were.

I remember a PS2 mag I used to read giving the first two 9/10, then after that it was always 10/10. Not sure about anything after PES6.

I remember a PS2 mag I used to read giving the first two 9/10, then after that it was always 10/10. Not sure about anything after PES6.

I would give PES 6 a 4/10 at best on the Playstation 2, tackle, dribble and collision issues in this game make it hard to like and impossible to love. :NONO::NONO::NONO:

If you're not careful, PES2010 quickly becomes an end-to-end pacey football game. This is bound to happen if you defend poorly and you have great players on your squad, able to perform better and faster on the pitch. Using weaker teams really brings out the best of this game: if yo try to play fast-paced, counter-attacking football, you'll be punished and lose the ball rightaway, so either you "go route one" with long-ball football or you try to build-up with a short passing approach - and this is risky, because your players' poor stats will be even more obvious if your approach is too complex for their abilities).
The more I play the many PES games available, the more I believe that using really weak teams provides a more realistic experience - on any PES. It forces you to rely less on stats and more on your football IQ.

I just managed to get Qatar to the round of 16 of the WC on PES2010 with just 2 points on the group phase. Drew 0-0 vs. Ireland on the opening fixture, 0-0 vs Morocco, and a 2-3 loss vs. Argentina (I was winning 2-1 though...). Ended with the same points as Ireland and Morocco but had -1 goal difference, versus Ireland's -2.
Got eliminated by Italy (0-1) though we played far better than on any match of the group phase - even ended with more shots on goal than Italy, had 4/5 clear-cut chances while they had...one.

regarding what I said earlier about a wiki: we'd cover probably everything possible about ISS era to PES2008 PS2 or something like that... dunno if my post went through about it, though, earlier.

@WhoAteMeDinner They just don't make them like that any more :APPLAUD: Macco has been excellent for me but Hamsun has been my real surprise. I think I must have always sold him because I really don't remember him ever doing anything. This challenge mode has really unearthed a few gems that maybe always got moved on early in the game for what were better players at that stage and I never got to see how well some of them developed.

@miguelfcp I 100% agree about weaker teams and have long held that view since making my own option files. Being as the (excellent) patches invariably have the same 'big' leagues in them the one's I've made myself I have concentrated on so called 'lesser' leagues and have had so much enjoyment playing with them. The stats do what they say on the tin in the retro games so well that the individuality of players comes out. That striker that you have to forego the shot on his left because you know it's going to be awful so you have to try to cut back onto your right or lay it off, The winger who is up against a full back that he can't beat so you have to look elsewhere to get at your opponent. The striker who's got pace to burn but couldn't hit a barn door, the defender who can win everything in the air but is awful on the deck and so on.

Back
Top Bottom