The Retro-PES Corner

I have seen one done for PES6 but one for PES3 would be awesome.
98/99 is probably one of my favourite ever seasons.
It's a shame there isn't a 3d kit maker so you can see exactly where things will go.
And 64 teams is a good amount of teams. 140 like in PES6 can be overwhelming.
Good luck I'm sure it will be brilliant.

Thanks for your interest. Fortunately, I found Championship Manager 3 and now I have the opportunity to convert players skills for more realism. But kits still remain a problem, I know how to do them, but changing each element, equaling the stripes, collars etc. Time after time, I have to restart the game to check it, it takes a very long time. According to my calculations, I will have to make about 300 kits (gk kits, home&away, and some additional kits) is not counting the kits of the World Cup '98 teams. Sometimes I'll upload screenshots and talk about progress.

raZti7M.png

Maybe there is someone here who can create a program for PES3 kits preview? Like this tool for PES 2013. If I understand correctly, this requires 3D models of kits from the game, I think they can be found in the "data_e.afs" file

HG3njc3.jpg

Last edited:
It's in the exe. Almost 100% sure about that. PES 4 on the other hand started using the param.dat file instead.

By the way, I think that the name of the tool for that was WEditor or something very similar. You could also export the data from an exe and import them to another if I recall correctly.

Aaaaand yes, I think that Kitserver could overwrite the collar settings stored in the exe. I just don't remember the WEndetta patch for PES 3 having a Kitserver at all, though.

Thanks man. Yup. Weditor. Finally got it to work. Back to editing :)

Edit: By the way, does anybody know where the fonts etc for the kits are located in data_e.afs? PES3

PES 3 is the best football simulator! After playing it I was completely disappointed in the PES 5/WE9. I started doing the 1998/99 patch. So much work! I hope I have the patience to finish this. Nobody knows if there is a preview tool that allows you to view created kits? P.S. It is a pity that there is no possibility to use faces and stadiums from PES5/6. These teams will be in patch:

3oToZL8.png

Even worse disappointment, going from PES 3 to PES 6. The ball, the passing, the tackles are all slow as treacle and PES 6 has this awful tackle thin air glitch on the Playstation 2.

PES 2 and PES 3 are the last editions that were just about the game, not the foofery or the faffery. :shiver::shiver::shiver:

@WhoAteMeDinner: I do study my players' abilities in detail for a while before playing with them, particularly when using a weaker team. Don't know if other people do it, but I'd rather waste 15/20 min. before the start of a competition (ML/cup/league) than to rush it just to save time and end up not getting the most out of my players.
This is why I hate the overall player rating system - introduced in PES2010 -, it encourages people to save time and just choose players by their overall rating; only a few maniacs such as myself would prefer to spend time reviewing dozens of stats for each player, even though they're given the chance of choosing the "easier path". A 69 overall striker might be more useful than a 75 rated one if the first is a Crouch/Koller type who fits your long-passing strategy, and the latter is just a pacy, short striker who can't win an aerial challenge.

@andersfss: I don't think you had posted here before, so welcome to our Corner...and what a fantastic first post of yours! Good luck with your project and keep us updated here on how it's going. Always gets me hyped when I see more people keeping retro-PES editing alive, in an age where less and less patches are made for these games.
PES3 indeed is a handy platform for editing, less teams combined with fantastic gameplay is a perfect combination. I don't know what can be done when it comes to editing stadiums, balls, kits for that version so I'll be learning about it with your experience on it.

I was playing PES09 and realized it took me almost 10 years to realize how truly great the banners are in PES. I knew their banner game was strong with classics such as "go for the goal", also playing with Finland and seeing their supporters bringing in english-written banners is always interesting; but I didn't know there were deeper issues...

mUbGQ5V.jpg

@WhoAteMeDinner PES 6 is disgusting game. I never understood why people love it so much, because the gameplay is terrible. Returning to PES 3 14 years later was magical for me. Although at first it was a little unusual to play without a referee on the pitch:) But gameplay is amazing. Sometimes I'm afraid to learn too well to play this game and lose interest. Every match is special. It's frustrating that only 16 teams can be used in league mode. That's why I'll add 16 English and 16 Italian teams so that can play a "full" championships.

Last edited:
@WhoAteMeDinner PES 6 is disgusting game. I never understood why people love it so much, because the gameplay is terrible. Returning to PES 3 14 years later was magical for me. Although at first it was a little unusual to play without a referee on the pitch:) But gameplay is amazing. Sometimes I'm afraid to learn too well to play this game and lose interest. Every match is special. It's frustrating that only 16 teams can be used in league mode. That's why I'll add 16 English and 16 Italian teams so that can play a "full" championships.
The gameplay of PES6 is indeed awful. :/
3 was the best

One thing that bothers me about PES3 is when you edit anyone you have to go to their default team to do it.
I would love an updated version of it though.

After this retake, Pes 3 is admittedly the one that comes closer, of the entire saga, to be the complete package to me.. at least in terms of gameplay and AI, of course.

I wouldn't dare to say that it's the "better".. even if it surely is up there with just a few other titles, to establish an absolute like this would be a too longer and maybe difficult task to untangle at least for me, and many other factors would come in. But it's the most balanced football experience you can get if you are into retro, I guess.

For longer periods of play, both PES3 and PES6 for me are closer to the "complete package" as Mad put it. I could put PES5 in this group but I think it shines more in short competitions like cups because of the intense competitiveness of the game (lots of fouls, physical challenges), which is certainly not for everyone's taste. I can't tell exactly which one is the superior game, but certainly whether you choose PES3, 5 or 6 you'll have an enjoyable simulation, frankly.

I don't know about playstation versions as I've never played any of them to compare but on PC for me it's PES6. I really like 3,4 and 5 as well (can't comment on previous as they weren't on PC) but 6 is my go to one. I still to this day have games on it where things happen that I haven't had happen before. I've played 3 on the pc for the first time recently and would put that 2nd. 2008 on PC is the worst version of all

They went next gen too early. 2008 could have been amazing, especially as it had more teams than any of the PS2 games.

I don't know about playstation versions as I've never played any of them to compare but on PC for me it's PES6. I really like 3,4 and 5 as well (can't comment on previous as they weren't on PC) but 6 is my go to one. I still to this day have games on it where things happen that I haven't had happen before. I've played 3 on the pc for the first time recently and would put that 2nd. 2008 on PC is the worst version of all

I think Pes 6 is still a very good game, I personally don't like much the fact that it's faster than the previous chapters and as a result, fast/high reaction players are too strong. But other than that, with medium/low teams it's still solid fun. I was indeed toying with the idea of starting a Master on this, since the Pech 17/18 patch which I downloaded seems really good, I just have to find a good challenge to start with since they changed default guys looks and I can't bring myself to use the old fellas as usual, if their aspect isn't their old natural one :D .

I wouldn't say that PES 6 is awful, as i enjoyed it during a few years (before i returned to PES 5, and finally to PES 3), but compared to PES 3, there is no contest.

@fmicablues7 , are you playing a PES 3 Master League campaign at the moment ? I have just completed my balanced squad of signed real players and defaults. Just bought Gigi Riva, (Riga) the Italian left wing forward and Capocannoniere of the Azzurri and Candela, the French right back.
Usually play four default and seven real players. Have kept my salary cap of 800 pts too as Riva, being a classic re gen player was a very reasonable salary. :):):)

What I find is the COM teams seem to mark more closely players of higher ability stats and default players like Macco, Burchet, Espinas and Castolo often get more space.

Think it is the same as in PES 2, win the European Cup for the European All-Stars and win an International Cup for World All-Stars unlock.

Never played anything except the Master League in PES 3, but it must be the same. ;)
@lazoli
PES 3 has classic National Teams if i recall correct, not All-Stars XI.

http://pes_stadium.tripod.com/html/pes3/secrets.htm

"TEAMS - 1000 PES
Allows you to unlock one of the seven classic teams as follows:
- Classic Argentina
- Classic Brazil
- Classic England
- Classic France
- Classic Germany
- Classic Italy
- Classic Netherlands"

I feel bittersweet right now and I need to vent, and this is most likely the appropriate thread for it even if this is not a rant about PES in the specific.

In a "retrogaming spree" I took my old Nintendo 64 out of retirement to play some ISS 98, I hooked it up to my living room TV (49") via the AV cables (you know the yellow, white and red ones) and... Hell, what a good feeling I had while playing. I remember now why I used to love that game so much. Not a simulation of course (ISS has never even tried to be so) but it still plays great.

Yet, it looks s*!t on my TV nowadays. Everything jagged, everything shaky...
I couldn't get myself to play it for more than a match unfortunately. It just doesn't look right on current LCD/LED TVs. :(

I feel bittersweet right now and I need to vent, and this is most likely the appropriate thread for it even if this is not a rant about PES in the specific.

In a "retrogaming spree" I took my old Nintendo 64 out of retirement to play some ISS 98, I hooked it up to my living room TV (49") via the AV cables (you know the yellow, white and red ones) and... Hell, what a good feeling I had while playing. I remember now why I used to love that game so much. Not a simulation of course (ISS has never even tried to be so) but it still plays great.

Yet, it looks s*!t on my TV nowadays. Everything jagged, everything shaky...
I couldn't get myself to play it for more than a match unfortunately. It just doesn't look right on current LCD/LED TVs. :(

I have the same problem with the PS2. It looks like shit and my eyes are bleeding whenever i play it on my TV. Yet, it looks great on my friend's TV, which is also a recent TV. I think it depends a lot on the TV. Is there not an emulator for PC though ? It would surely look better.

@fmicablues7 , are you playing a PES 3 Master League campaign at the moment ? I have just completed my balanced squad of signed real players and defaults. Just bought Gigi Riva, (Riga) the Italian left wing forward and Capocannoniere of the Azzurri and Candela, the French right back.
Usually play four default and seven real players. Have kept my salary cap of 800 pts too as Riva, being a classic re gen player was a very reasonable salary. :):):)

What I find is the COM teams seem to mark more closely players of higher ability stats and default players like Macco, Burchet, Espinas and Castolo often get more space.

No mate, i had barely time to play a World Cup on it. I wished i could. I had problems with my Ukraine save, so i had to stop it and i restarted instead a WC with France this time. I clearly underperformed, being knocked out of group stage because of a third place, after losing against Portugal 1-0, drawing 0-0 with Ukraine (they held on the result having received two red cards, it was like Barcelona-Chelsea 2012 :BLINK:) and winning against Tunisia 4-0. This game is so hard in CPU Co-op challenge, but i enjoy it so much.

It does depend on the TV and what output you use. Use s-video for N64 and component for PS2.

Might needs a hdmi out converter tho depends on your tv, could be about 45 quid for a good one

My 32ld320-za from 2010 is total arse at deinterlacing 480i but decent at 576i for an lcd hooked with composite. Cant wait to get the component stuff :p

Last edited:
@*aLe: I know what you mean. Whenever I fire up ISS PS1 I prefer to do it on my PSP through the emulator, looks much better than on my LCD. As for the PS2 games, it's pretty much tolerable to play for long periods of time but I don't know if it depends on the model of the TV or something like that.
A few months ago I was putting out the trash and there it was, all abandoned next to the trash, one of those "old" tvs, it looked like this:
image;s=1000x700;in_;slot=1;filename=prfqh14awams3-IN_.jpg
I was tempted to bring it with me, if it still worked then I'd have a fully-retro themed station for retro-gaming. Had I seen it today, I wouldn't think twice and would've brought it.

@lazoli
PES 3 has classic National Teams if i recall correct, not All-Stars XI.

http://pes_stadium.tripod.com/html/pes3/secrets.htm

"TEAMS - 1000 PES
Allows you to unlock one of the seven classic teams as follows:
- Classic Argentina
- Classic Brazil
- Classic England
- Classic France
- Classic Germany
- Classic Italy
- Classic Netherlands"

Really? Looking at the database both teams are in there for sure. I can see the players and kits etc for those teams.

Back
Top Bottom