The Retro-PES Corner

Well, my life can continue as normal now, as it was on hold for the last few days, awaiting the momentous news of the England Squad Numbers. :PRAY::PRAY::PRAY:

Pes 3: Aaaand no surprises. A sound 3-0 for Argentina and my adventure with the Dragon's Team is over. An unmarkable Crespo open up with an header from a corner, Samuel replicates a while later from another one (with a SCISSOR KICK nontheless) and the game was over at the 20th minute. I had some chances to open up the game again despite my tactical inferiority, but my guys are truly horrible beyond words :D and in the bigger occasion, a one on one with their gk, my best forward shoot high in the sky. This wasn't my day I guess.

In the 2nd half Aimar took the crossbar on a nice free kick and after other tries, Ortega finally closes the game with a low shot.

What to say, after this (a bit traumatic, between ML and this cup) retake I'm starting to fully understand the love somebody has for this chapter, there really is something unique in Pes 3. Will surely keep experimenting with this game, even if now I'll probably try a Cup in either Pes 5 or Pes 6 as anticipated time ago, before rotating again.

p.s. guys I know it's a bit too recent and maybe it doesn't really fit the tone of this thread, but I downloaded again Pes 2015 cause I was curious to see how it felt (played little to nothing).. only problem is that for some reason I can't understand it lags like hell. My pc can play without problems and slowing Pes and Fifa 18 on high settings along with the other most modern soccer games so I really don't get the problem. Does somebody have an idea?

@Madmac79 , welcome to the PES 3 religion. My fellow disciple @fmicablues7 and I welcome you. It is, like a certain chap two thousand years ago was said to be "the king of kings", very much "the game of games". To foof and faff with player development, new gens, re gens, team chat, dressing room morale and all the other foofery and faffery is fine. But PES 3 is pure football, 2600 of the best players of the time and unlockable classic teams and players too. They do not age or develop their abilities, but that means, you keep your beloved squad of both new signings and the defaults players, who are in their prime in PES 3, all together, for a long and fun ML adventure.

What a game. :LOVE::LOVE::LOVE::LOVE::LOVE::LOVE::LOVE::LOVE::LOVE:

If a river has no fish, is it a river or just a stagnant canal ?
If a summer has no flowers, is it just a warm winter ?
If a beautiful girl cannot smile, is that truly beauty ?

And a World Cup without Italy, is it just a FIFA kickback fest ? :CRY::CRY::CRY:

Last edited:
@Madmac79 Unlucky, but I guess inevitable up against them. Who won the tournament?

@WhoAteMeDinner It doesn't seem right without them (or Netherlands) somehow but at the end of the day if you can't beat a Sweden team without Ibrahimovic over two legs...

PS I'm still unable to find a pes3 pc download. I did try with that PS emulator that was on this thread but it stuttered so badly it was unplayable. Which is the nearest WE version to that - is it worth trying that or no?

@Madmac79 Unlucky, but I guess inevitable up against them. Who won the tournament?

@WhoAteMeDinner It doesn't seem right without them (or Netherlands) somehow but at the end of the day if you can't beat a Sweden team without Ibrahimovic over two legs...

PS I'm still unable to find a pes3 pc download. I did try with that PS emulator that was on this thread but it stuttered so badly it was unplayable. Which is the nearest WE version to that - is it worth trying that or no?

PES 2 is closest to PES 3, but as you know @mattmid , PC versions only started with PES 3. Maybe PES 4 is similar ? :CONF:

I've decided to go with Iran. I drew the groups randomly but then added in a couple of big names who weren't in it, like Germany and France.

Group 1

Ecuador
Denmark
Costa Rica
Germany

Group 2

Japan
Tunisia
Brazil
Austria

Group 3

Iran
Italy
Ireland
Paraguay

Group 4

Portugal
Ukraine
Spain
Poland

Group 5

Bulgaria
Czech Republic
Netherlands
Croatia

Group 6

Mexico
Cameroon
Australia
England

Group 7

Sweden
USA
Argentina
Turkey

Group 8

Nigeria
France
Jamaica
Russia

So, I've landed myself a nice little easy group there! The big teams look to have comfortable rides through the group stages bar Netherlands who have got themselves in the group of death there.

@mattmid seems like a nice group. Italy might be hard to go by, but I think you can take your chances against Ireland and Paraguay.

I'm not familiar with Iran, do you choose them for some reason or you just picked up the best/worst team that came in your mind :D?

@mattmid seems like a nice group. Italy might be hard to go by, but I think you can take your chances against Ireland and Paraguay.

I'm not familiar with Iran, do you choose them for some reason or you just picked up the best/worst team that came in your mind :D?

Ireland easily got past Iran in the 2002 World Cup Playoffs. Beware of Duff, Keane and Kilbane, all you Rep. of Ireland doubters. :GSCARF::GSCARF::GSCARF:

@WhoAteMeDinner Just downloaded pes3 and here's a screen pic in 3840*2160 with camera zoomed out :D Kitserver and all it's tools are a magical thing. Who'd have thought you could play a game from what 15 years ago at that resolution?

I think I'm going to set up a world cup challenge to try it out

Looks amazing @mattmid , totally beautiful graphics, but I seem to remember seeing a similar YouTube PC version of PES 3 gameplay and noticed it was slow compared to the PES 3 Playstation 2 game, @fmicablues7 , you have played both, is the PC game slower ?

Damn, your PES3 is looking amazing @mattmid!
Not an easy task to get past thar group. As @WhoAteMeDinner said, their offense is amazing and remember they have a fantastic keeper, Shay Given.
I think your best players must be Mahdavikia and Ali Daei, right? Also Rezaei must be there, Nekounam...

@miguelfcp Yes I was really surprised it was able to run at that resolution. :)

You remember more of the Iranian squad than I do. Mahdavikia and Ali Daei were the only one's that I remembered from the squad. Yes, Ireland is not going to be easy at all and neither will Paraguay be.

I just wanted to pick one of the weaker teams and thought I'd go with them. :)

First game was Italy.

I decided to play 4-5-1 and hope to keep them at bay and see if I could snatch something. They had a few early chances and our keeper made a great 1-on-1 save from Totti while they put 2-3 shots wide as well. Then on 34 minutes we had a huge moment when...

we finally got far enough up the pitch to find out what colours Buffon was wearing in goal. :LOL:

Shortly after Vieri put Italy ahead. I defended pretty well from then on, only giving up a few more chances but could only create one long shot myself and a couple of corners which didn't come to anything. Pleased enough to only lose by 1 goal though to what you would think would be the group winners.

Paraguay beat Ireland in the other game though.

North Korea - World Cup PES2010 (PS3) - The 1000-1 Challenge

As I had predicted, my PS2 controller finally died. Until a "new" one arrives, I had to use my PS3 for a WC Challenge. Went with PES2010 as it's one of the PS3 PES I revisit once in a while and am never disappointed with the time I spend on it. Furthermore, I remembered it had an interesting selection of weaker NTs which I would later confirm: Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, Thailand, among others...not a bad place for a 1000-1 Challenge!

I chose North Korea mainly because it's definitely one of the worst NTs in the game but also because if I lose every match I can still get permission (and encouragment) from their government to say here on our Corner that we actually won the World Cup.

Our group: Spain, Tunisia, USA

Fixture 1 vs. Spain: What a way to begin this journey, against the 2010 World champions...I said f*** it and went with our default strategy and players, as I had no knowledge of how they all played: a 5-4-1 with two DMFs, two AMFs and lonely what's-his-name up front (I thought about changing every player's name to "Kim Jong-Un" beforehand though).
I was expecting a dominating Spain but we managed to reach the half-time 0-0, and they had few chances to score. Surprisingly we were able to put together one or two counterattacks which led to some dangerous moments for the spanish defenders.
On the 2nd half they were much more organized and began to hit us with their "tiki-taka"; however our 5-4-1 is a defensive fortress that leaves little space to create anything in the middle and their refusal to try out plan B (crossing the ball more) was a blessing for North Korea, as we managed to keep the 0-0 until the final whistle while Spain was unable to get a single clear-cut chance on goal in 90 minutes (we didn't either, but that was expected).

Fixture 2 vs. USA: North Korea vs. USA? How appropriate! We scored our first-ever WC goal quite early on (on our first and only chance of the first half) so now it was all about defending the lead. USA was dynamic in their offense, much more rhythm than Spain had put, so it caused as a few problems that we didn't have to face in fixture 1, including a ball that hit the post by the end of the 1st half. However, at half-time: 1-0.
2 virtual minutes in after the break and they scored, 1-1. Not much would've happened until the last few minutes of the match, as we adapted better to their offense and also we couldn't create chances up front.
93rd minute and we get a corner, presumably the last play of the match. Time for me to create something crazy on the spot:
- Changed formation to a 2-3-5, with the tallest players up front including defenders and a DMF.
- Subbed in a goalkeeper for a CMF;
- Put the new goalkeeper in goal and used the previous keeper as a striker as he was our tallest player on the squad.

Kim Jong-Un #10 crosses...former-goalkeeper-turned-striker-for-the-last-minute-only (Kim Jong-Un #1) does something weird by moving away from goal, faking the USA defender who was marking him, which opened space for the rampant entrance of Kim Jong-Un #2, CB-turned-striker, he's alone out there, he headers it neatly...

2JB5B9x.jpg

bIi52h1.jpg

XDQRg1w.jpg

After the win, this is what our group looked like before the final fixture:

J982Vts.jpg

I was counting on Spain to win their match, so it meant only a win against Tunisia would serve us, as Tunisia's goal difference was better than ours. If Spain failed to win a draw would suffice, even a loss really.

Fixture 3 vs. Tunisia: Soon I'd find out why they were 1st in this group...their offense was magnificent, creating all sorts of trouble for us to deal with, using fast counter-attacks with many joining up. They scored in the first-half, we got the equalizer on the 80th minute and then I got a taste of my own medicine: Tunisia scores on the very last minute and I was convinced I was eliminated. When the end-of-game cutscenes rolled in, Tunisia celebrates...and North Korea does too!

y95bZ7u.jpg

Thank you USA for getting that sweet draw vs. Spain, as we advanced to the round of 16.

Round of 16 vs. Mali: Yeah, Mali. They were part of a group that had Portugal and Brazil...and qualified, alongside Brazil.
By the end of the first-half I was disappointed with their football, they were shockingly bad. Defensively they held up, but they couldn't create any play. The thing is, besides a monster of a striker they had up front, their team was exactly the opposite of ours: tall, strong, fast...whilst most of Korea's players are under 180cm (even some of the CBs), few are not slow, and quite weak physically. This could be an important factor for an underperforming side such as theirs to gain an edge.
2nd half and they begin to put more pressure on us. Inevitably, they scored and we couldn't react. They didn't upgrade their brand of football but were definitely more intense in the 2nd half and the difference of rhythm between these two teams was obvious...FT 0-1, the end of a marvellous North Korea World Cup run.

Back home, the streets of North Korea are filled with celebrations after the match vs. USA is finally broadcasted days after it was played. The korean match commentators framed the game as if it was the World Cup final and so the locals are convinced North Korea has won the World Cup against its current political nemesis, the USA.
As for the Cup itself, North Korean media reports it was stolen by a group of american fans who broke into the hotel where the North Korea NT was staying. It's said to have been a CIA operation, which proves NK's hostility against the USA is justified, those monsters!...

North Korea - World Cup PES2010 (PS3) - The 1000-1 Challenge

As I had predicted, my PS2 controller finally died. Until a "new" one arrives, I had to use my PS3 for a WC Challenge. Went with PES2010 as it's one of the PS3 PES I revisit once in a while and am never disappointed with the time I spend on it. Furthermore, I remembered it had an interesting selection of weaker NTs which I would later confirm: Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, Thailand, among others...not a bad place for a 1000-1 Challenge!

I chose North Korea mainly because it's definitely one of the worst NTs in the game but also because if I lose every match I can still get permission (and encouragment) from their government to say here on our Corner that we actually won the World Cup.

Our group: Spain, Tunisia, USA

Fixture 1 vs. Spain: What a way to begin this journey, against the 2010 World champions...I said f*** it and went with our default strategy and players, as I had no knowledge of how they all played: a 5-4-1 with two DMFs, two AMFs and lonely what's-his-name up front (I thought about changing every player's name to "Kim Jong-Un" beforehand though).
I was expecting a dominating Spain but we managed to reach the half-time 0-0, and they had few chances to score. Surprisingly we were able to put together one or two counterattacks which led to some dangerous moments for the spanish defenders.
On the 2nd half they were much more organized and began to hit us with their "tiki-taka"; however our 5-4-1 is a defensive fortress that leaves little space to create anything in the middle and their refusal to try out plan B (crossing the ball more) was a blessing for North Korea, as we managed to keep the 0-0 until the final whistle while Spain was unable to get a single clear-cut chance on goal in 90 minutes (we didn't either, but that was expected).

Fixture 2 vs. USA: North Korea vs. USA? How appropriate! We scored our first-ever WC goal quite early on (on our first and only chance of the first half) so now it was all about defending the lead. USA was dynamic in their offense, much more rhythm than Spain had put, so it caused as a few problems that we didn't have to face in fixture 1, including a ball that hit the post by the end of the 1st half. However, at half-time: 1-0.
2 virtual minutes in after the break and they scored, 1-1. Not much would've happened until the last few minutes of the match, as we adapted better to their offense and also we couldn't create chances up front.
93rd minute and we get a corner, presumably the last play of the match. Time for me to create something crazy on the spot:
- Changed formation to a 2-3-5, with the tallest players up front including defenders and a DMF.
- Subbed in a goalkeeper for a CMF;
- Put the new goalkeeper in goal and used the previous keeper as a striker as he was our tallest player on the squad.

Kim Jong-Un #10 crosses...former-goalkeeper-turned-striker-for-the-last-minute-only (Kim Jong-Un #1) does something weird by moving away from goal, faking the USA defender who was marking him, which opened space for the rampant entrance of Kim Jong-Un #2, CB-turned-striker, he's alone out there, he headers it neatly...

2JB5B9x.jpg

bIi52h1.jpg

XDQRg1w.jpg

After the win, this is what our group looked like before the final fixture:

J982Vts.jpg

I was counting on Spain to win their match, so it meant only a win against Tunisia would serve us, as Tunisia's goal difference was better than ours. If Spain failed to win a draw would suffice, even a loss really.

Fixture 3 vs. Tunisia: Soon I'd find out why they were 1st in this group...their offense was magnificent, creating all sorts of trouble for us to deal with, using fast counter-attacks with many joining up. They scored in the first-half, we got the equalizer on the 80th minute and then I got a taste of my own medicine: Tunisia scores on the very last minute and I was convinced I was eliminated. When the end-of-game cutscenes rolled in, Tunisia celebrates...and North Korea does too!

y95bZ7u.jpg

Thank you USA for getting that sweet draw vs. Spain, as we advanced to the round of 16.

Round of 16 vs. Mali: Yeah, Mali. They were part of a group that had Portugal and Brazil...and qualified, alongside Brazil.
By the end of the first-half I was disappointed with their football, they were shockingly bad. Defensively they held up, but they couldn't create any play. The thing is, besides a monster of a striker they had up front, their team was exactly the opposite of ours: tall, strong, fast...whilst most of Korea's players are under 180cm (even some of the CBs), few are not slow, and quite weak physically. This could be an important factor for an underperforming side such as theirs to gain an edge.
2nd half and they begin to put more pressure on us. Inevitably, they scored and we couldn't react. They didn't upgrade their brand of football but were definitely more intense in the 2nd half and the difference of rhythm between these two teams was obvious...FT 0-1, the end of a marvellous North Korea World Cup run.

Back home, the streets of North Korea are filled with celebrations after the match vs. USA is finally broadcasted days after it was played. The korean match commentators framed the game as if it was the World Cup final and so the locals are convinced North Korea has won the World Cup against its current political nemesis, the USA.
As for the Cup itself, North Korean media reports it was stolen by a group of american fans who broke into the hotel where the North Korea NT was staying. It's said to have been a CIA operation, which proves NK's hostility against the USA is justified, those monsters!...
@miguelfcp Yes I was really surprised it was able to run at that resolution. :)

You remember more of the Iranian squad than I do. Mahdavikia and Ali Daei were the only one's that I remembered from the squad. Yes, Ireland is not going to be easy at all and neither will Paraguay be.

I just wanted to pick one of the weaker teams and thought I'd go with them. :)

First game was Italy.

I decided to play 4-5-1 and hope to keep them at bay and see if I could snatch something. They had a few early chances and our keeper made a great 1-on-1 save from Totti while they put 2-3 shots wide as well. Then on 34 minutes we had a huge moment when...

we finally got far enough up the pitch to find out what colours Buffon was wearing in goal. :LOL:

Shortly after Vieri put Italy ahead. I defended pretty well from then on, only giving up a few more chances but could only create one long shot myself and a couple of corners which didn't come to anything. Pleased enough to only lose by 1 goal though to what you would think would be the group winners.

Paraguay beat Ireland in the other game though.

@mattmid , watch out for Robbie Keane's special ability in PES 3, one-on-one with the keeper, if he gets in behind your back line, it is game over. :COAT::COAT::COAT:

@WhoAteMeDinner Just downloaded pes3 and here's a screen pic in 3840*2160 with camera zoomed out :D Kitserver and all it's tools are a magical thing. Who'd have thought you could play a game from what 15 years ago at that resolution?

I think I'm going to set up a world cup challenge to try it out

So mattmid, kitserver 3 allows you to do custom resolutions too?

PES 3 Master League Division 1 End of Season Update

Squad: 12 signings and 8 Default squad originals.

Table:

PLD 26 W 12 D 6 L 8 GF 43 GA 43

Final league position: 5th (WEFA Champs place)

Notable players of the season:

Heinrich (CBW, Sweeper) 8 goals.
Dario Silva (CF) Injury hit season, 7 goals.
Arellano (AMF) playmaker, 5 goals, 9 assists.

Defaults:
Macco (DMF) 4 goals, 2 assists. And bullied and intimidated the COM opposition all season, a bulldozer of a player in any role.
Castolo (CF) 5 goals, off the bench. Not the dud of later PES games, a dynamic support striker and fox in the box.

As for Big Sam, with 43 goals shipped at the back in 26 games, the big man is in a cardiology unit, having his ticker tinkered with. May he recover soon.:PRAY::PRAY::PRAY:
Have promised my ill director of football, we will tighten things up at the back this pre-season and may sign another Italian defender to prevent any further chaotic eleven goal matches. :THINK::THINK::THINK:

@fmicablues7 , how does the PES 3 games play on the PC ? Is it as fast and responsive as the game we both love on the Playstation 2 ? Does the ball fizz around the pitch in the same rapid manner ? :FISH:

They are exactly the same, mate. PC and PS2 PESes were always identical gameplay-wise, until PES 6.

@mattmid It looks amazing.

I was busy with exams, i'm looking forward to play my world cup, now.

Hoping to get an update with all national teams so I can do a World Cup :)
Is there an up to date OF?

@lazoli Yeah kitserver 3 appears to have been updated in 2016/17 according to the read me and now has the option like the others to customise the resolution and camera zoom :)

@Titch In Sany's thread there's several 17/18 patches you could use if you're doing it on pes6, other pes's I'm not sure. PECH, Infinity and Vox are three up to date one's in the thread.

@miguelfcp Excellent write up, had me laughing :) Apparently Trump has tweeted it's fake news about the NK result. USA won 6-0 and are the best team in the world and his dad could beat up Kim Jong-Un's.

@WhoAteMeDinner A great season! I'm going to take a punt and say that the CB(sweeper) is top scorer due to the Big Sam set piece routines rather than some modern day Beckenbaur doing mazy dribbles up the pitch. No wonder he's suffering with the goals shipped at the back though. That reminds me of my Domzale season with all the 5's conceded!

England could be involved in the Reverse World Cup Challenge, where you take a perceived good team and see how badly you can under achieve. :D

Castolo, Castolo, where did it all go wrong between PES3 and PES6?

@fmicablues7 Look forward to hearing how it goes.

Cheers.
Had a thought. Back in the day I did a team on PESFAN where people posted their details and I made them in PES. I then made a story from that. That would be good to see again :)

@miguelfcp AWESOME report.. I can easily see a fantastic mockumentary writing up itself from that :D!

Football wise talking, it seems like you did a miracle in getting out of group stage with NK.. they look like a nerfed version of China..

Back
Top Bottom