The Retro-PES Corner

Hey! Does anyone know of a 1999-00 patch for PES6?
I've been looking around for a while bro, but haven't been able to find a dedicated 99-00 patch yet.

The closest I've found is PES 6 Décadas (uploaded here by @Sany023 LINK), which includes some 99-00 teams. There's a pes-retro thread (in Spanish) which talks more about this patch HERE, where the original creator talks about the features. Looks like an interesting patch, but is more geared towards history than a dedicated season.

I am sure that a 99-00 patch must exist somewhere, just can't find one (yet)! :LOL:

Last edited:
There's something absolutely timeless about PES 6.

Playing with the Superstar Level Mod (available here), the game is a real joy for me.

Can't really put my finger on why, but playing PES 6 always hits the spot. Yes, the animations may be clunkier to what modern gamers might be used to, there's no real 360 movement, the era's graphic limitations are there. But none of this matters to me. The sheer variety of game scenarios, situations, the unpredictability and sheer simplicity of the game. it really is something beautiful. Whenever I start a new match (in different patches), I literally have no idea what's going to happen, as various situations arise in the game, completely unscripted, that feel like real football. When I finish playing, whether I win or lose, I feel like I've played a satisfying, realistic, fun-filled match. It's just a truly enjoyable football game, elegant in its simplicity. A timeless, classic masterpiece in my book.

Last edited:

Playing with the Superstar Level Mod (available here), the game is a real joy for me.

Can't really put my finger on why, but playing PES 6 always hits the spot. Yes, the animations may be clunkier to what modern gamers might be used to, there's no real 360 movement, the era's graphic limitations are there. But it doesn't matter to me. The sheer variety of game scenarios, situations, the unpredictability and sheer simplicity of the game. it really is something beautiful. Whenever I start a new match (in different patches), I literally have no idea what's going to happen, as various situations arise in the game, completely unscripted, that feel like real football. When I finish playing, whether I win or lose, I feel like I've played a satisfying, realistic, fun-filled match. It's just a truly enjoyable football game, elegant in its simplicity. A timeless one in my book.

It's definitely one of the few sports games where I will lose and not get angry at the CPU 😅 in almost twenty years, every single match I've played has felt different.

Can't really put my finger on why, but playing PES 6 always hits the spot. Yes, the animations may be clunkier to what modern gamers might be used to, there's no real 360 movement, the era's graphic limitations are there. But none of this matters to me. The sheer variety of game scenarios, situations, the unpredictability and sheer simplicity of the game. it really is something beautiful. Whenever I start a new match (in different patches), I literally have no idea what's going to happen, as various situations arise in the game, completely unscripted, that feel like real football. When I finish playing, whether I win or lose, I feel like I've played a satisfying, realistic, fun-filled match. It's just a truly enjoyable football game, elegant in its simplicity. A timeless, classic masterpiece in my book.
Exactly, hits sweet spot of unpredictability, variety in shots etc and FUN. It's not all about a 100% sim.

I always found PES 5 free kicks to be very successful but I seem to be absolutely terrible at them on any other versions of PES. Do you find the same?
I suck at free kicks on every iteration of any Football Game ever. Except maybe FIFA 15/16. I tend to score more on them. Once scored a Halfway line Freekick with Messi curling into the Top Corner vs Casillas in FIFA 15 about 3 years ago. How I wish I recorded that.

I suck at free kicks on every iteration of any Football Game ever. Except maybe FIFA 15/16. I tend to score more on them. Once scored a Halfway line Freekick with Messi curling into the Top Corner vs Casillas in FIFA 15 about 3 years ago. How I wish I recorded that.
Would have been interesting to see all be it extremely difficult in real life. The keeper would have to be off his line. In open play this can happen but from a dead ball situation the keeper has to be caught napping.

Would have been interesting to see all be it extremely difficult in real life. The keeper would have to be off his line. In open play this can happen but from a dead ball situation the keeper has to be caught napping.
Oh yeah, Funny thing is, it was on World Class, not even on Professional or anything low. Not quite Legendary, but just a level below. And if I remember correctly, Casillas was basically tracking back and fell down backwards when the ball went in. So perhaps... A moment of randomness, since I've never seen anything like that in FIFA before or since. I could swear I once recorded it faintly 3 or 4 years ago, but I can't find it anywhere..... for now.

Oh yeah, Funny thing is, it was on World Class, not even on Professional or anything low. Not quite Legendary, but just a level below. And if I remember correctly, Casillas was basically tracking back and fell down backwards when the ball went in. So perhaps... A moment of randomness, since I've never seen anything like that in FIFA before or since. I could swear I once recorded it faintly 3 or 4 years ago, but I can't find it anywhere..... for now.
A rare Casillias fail 😂
I don’t think I’ve seen a half way line free kick go in on PES. I’ve seen long shots etc and king free kicks but I don’t think I’ve seen a halfway line free kick go in. Definitely not by me. PES 5 is the sweet spot of free kicks for me, I just suck at free kicks on any other version of PES lol

I was known as Nakamura in Pro Clubs on Fifa 15/16. Every FK the team got, I was stuck on them 🤣 Kinda similar to how I do with FK on FC 24 tbh.

If my Juninho post in the PES 6 thread doesn't make it clear, I'm a fan of any player who can strike beautiful free kicks

Just read this post today and I feel like that too, about how many I use team/players in each series before.

But a year ago, I starting my own project as a "Journeyman". Where I play PES and FIFA, ML and BAL (CM and BAP on FIFA) with my own rules: Never stay on same club when got new transfer offer. By do that way, oh my God! Its so fun! I play wih so many unfamiliar players and clubs. Its an awesome experience. For more random experience, I always continue my save game on ML and BAL whatever Option File I use. And when I get bored with my save game, I just put another option file to make it different.

I don't know if its possible or not to create a mod to randomize players database like in Football Manager.

Last edited:
how teamwork stats work in pes 5 6 in ML ?

those that appear when you are on formation screen and press O

why some players kind of dont link with others?

Can someone explain these controls? Are you supposed to use the pass/through-ball buttons in these situations?

To shoot from a free kick, I have always used the shoot button and the directions. This may explain how I have scored maybe two free kicks in PES 5/6 in my entire life 😅
Yes, the guide adviced -according to the distance- to use pass or through ball button to add more curve or power to the shot. After the power bar appears, and before the players kicks the ball you have to press it.

I interpret the table, that you need to curve the shot the more you are close to the goalkeepers. From 26m you have to think about the power less than the curve,

So for example, on PES6, Beckham will suit the use of a curved shot since his curve attribute is highter than the shot power. CR7 will suit the use of a powered shot.

Last edited:
Can someone explain these controls? Are you supposed to use the pass/through-ball buttons in these situations?

To shoot from a free kick, I have always used the shoot button and the directions. This may explain how I have scored maybe two free kicks in PES 5/6 in my entire life 😅
IIRC it's on PES 5 and 6 that you can use L1 and R1 to kick the FK in the left or right direction without turning your player with D-Pad. It's like a bluff and works mostly in PvP games, since you need an other human to watch where you aim, to bluff to the other side.

At general, since i am terrible at FK in PES 5/6 , i only used triangle+up arrow after shoot gauge, for maximum power straight shots.

EDIT: I know it doesn't help, since my PES 6 dvd manual is in Greek, but if you have the English manual, check for Free Kick, Alter kick Direction.

IMG_20240512_133542.jpg

Edit2: also I am always in thoughts to scan my PES manuals, I have the English manuals from PES 3 to PES 2008 and from 2011 to 2013. From 2015 onwards there was not a manual book. Plus the manual of ISS 2000 for N64.
I plan to do it after September of 2025.

Last edited:
how teamwork stats work in pes 5 6 in ML ?

those that appear when you are on formation screen and press O

why some players kind of dont link with others?
To me teamwork is one of my favourite stats. It is similar to team spirit in the modern PES’ but it works better.

Basically, it shows how well your players work together. You might buy an excellent striker but to begin with the teamwork stat with the other players will be lower. Even though he is a top player he may not link up well with passes and runs etc…

But once he starts playing more, then the teamwork increases. I think this is very realistic, you can actually have an average team but if the teamwork is good they can play together well.

I think having players of different nationalities may also affect it.

Back
Top Bottom