The Retro-PES Corner

Lol @slamsoze , mate. Remember your countrymen have a history of surprising great empires. Watch out Italy.
:SHHH:
As for my twopence view, some results looks like Eurovision Song Contest political voting.

Russia only beat Cyprus by a goal. And Norway just edged out the Faroes by two.

Germany by contrast, clearly with no German offshore bank accounts or north atlantic fishing quotas on the line, simply hammered Estonia by eight.

As for UEFA......:MAD::MAD::MAD:
Ireland on the other hand, is on the hype train right now. First and undefeated. Good job there dude. :GSCARF:

@Madmac79 thanks i wish the same, Italy is a top-tier either way, they should be in every final competition.

Speaking of Germany, the same applies for Bayern Munich, as much as i admire their press every game for 90' to win mentality, i don't agree when they do this against Estonias, San Marinos, Andoras, Vatican City or whatever really small team they face. Ok every team of the top Nations wins them by 4-0 or 5-0, but apply some fair-play dudes. It is a guaranteed victory after all. They keep pressing to 7-0, 8-0, 9-0 victories, being cynical for the shake of cynical. You did the 4-0, 5-0, the opponent is toothless. Pull the handbrake dudes, make some passing pullshit, make tricks.Anything.
Basically it does not have to do with the teams, but with the mentality. Manchester United used to do the same during the early 00's by the way.

Last edited:
Maybe it's all part of UEFA's plan to leave us all so confused as to what is going on that we won't notice the new 128 team club European cup where everyone who has enough money, tv value or foreign fans automatically qualify. 4 groups of 32 teams played over 3 years whilst league football is suspended with the top three in each group going through. From there it's 12 groups of 8 with the top 4 going through to another group stage of death (the spectators that is through boredom) These 48 are split into 12 groups of four with the group winners and the next 20 best points total teams qualifying for a final group stage of 8 groups of 4. The most marketable teams then qualify for the last 16 no matter what the group results.

These play a knockout where teams play trump cards with categories like Highest Paid Player, Most followed player on twitter, Best Haircut on a big occasion, Most fans who have changed their club to follow your club because they are successful, Highest merchandise sold in Asia, Player with the most narcissistic post on instagram, and the fan favourite, Player with the most kisses of the badge after scoring despite not giving a shit about the club and ready to prostitute himself to the highest bidder at the first chance.

From there the last 8 play each other 32 times in what Sky describe as 'must see tv' whilst paying 400 billion pounds for the rights. The winner is crowned ultimate champion and gets a bye in the first round of the next tournament which starts 3 weeks later.

Last edited:
It's a shame it was a bit buggy when I reinstalled it time ago (like replays going super fast for some reason).

enabling frame skipping in the settings.exe fixed this for me, the vsync slows that fukker down nicely too, 2010 felt faster

ps
so im 3. season in now on d2, finally managed to sign my first real player this pre season, van der heyden or so, left side allrounder, im playing 4231 now

enabling frame skipping in the settings.exe fixed this for me, the vsync slows that fukker down nicely too, 2010 felt faster
This part always confuses me, i have a medium-low laptop , Lenovo G510 wihtout GPU, 2014. For the new games it sucks from 2018 and on, but i can play 2014+2017 in low settings and 2015-2016 in a forced high resolution and medium quality through jenkey's tool. What bothers me is the 2008~2013, i can play them in high res/quality but i have screen-tearing. Does the v-sync and the frame-skip , make performance things better or worse? Basically the v-sync, i have stable FPS. Or the wierd L:B option that has in 2013 settings, cant define what it really does. :P

Last edited:
One year later and I'm still playing my PES08 PS2 ML. I've written about it here before - if you want to read it, go ahead, it must be here somewhere in 170 pages of the Corner :PP), but after a season in which we won it all (league, cup and WEFA Championships), I thought I'd quit playing the save.
And for a while I did, as I was busy with other projects, only one day I decided to put the PES08 disk back in the tray and...it hasn't been removed ever since :DD. It's a kind of magic.

I'm on season 10 currently. We've won every competition that exists on the ML world in this game at least once. Most of the early-00s classic ML defaults have retired; in fact, of the Minanda/Castolo/Ivarov generation, only Stremer (39 years old) remains in our team - the oldest player we've had was Ceciu at 41.

Stein is 36, but isn't yet declining in his stats - probably because he plays all the minutes in every single match. He was already one of my favourite defaults, but after this save, he's definitely one of my favourite players of all time in any football game I've ever played. Please, don't ever retire man.

Gutierrez is 30, and has scored almost 300 goals in 300-something matches. A goddamn machine he is. I think he has been the league's top scorer for at least 4 seasons in a row by now. Tied with Stein as the two undisputed legends of this ML United team. Undoubtedly our most influential player.

Most of the starting-11 is aging. Our core is still the late-00s ML defaults generation comprised of the likes of Jaric, Stein, Dodo, Ordaz and the like; as well as the defaults introduced later on in PES08 (Gutierrez, El Moubarki, Baumann...). All of them are over 30.
Why is my starting-11 so old? Well, as per the rules of the challenge I'm playing, I can only buy a player when one of mine retires, and it has to be a ML newgen. Now, out of the many I've brought in over the years, only the keeper Fredriksson and centreback Jackson were able to clinch a starting-11 spot - and both have been playing for the club for at least 7 seasons already...the others I brought in, like Kim Myon U, Sousa, Khumalo and Park Jyun Hi, though they're still young and developing their stats at an amazing pace, haven't yet had the impact I hoped for.

..but i have screen-tearing. Does the v-sync and the frame-skip , make performance things better or worse?

i could explain what it does on a pc that can mantain the games set fps, but this is technical and (going by your post) does not apply to your setup, so in short:

it should help you with both performance and perceived experience, vsync reduces the gpu load normally which for a weak gpu is good and the frame skip will help with the perceived smoothness, not sure what type of implementation konami is using there, you know theyre never good at explaining or translations..

if you still have tearing with vsync on there is something wrong, because it always worked on those games and so it does here on my w10 also, the negative is the increased "input lag", but i cant play pes w/o it, for me the whole engine and physics seem to glitch out and its a jerkfest, game can speed up out of nowhere etc
ps the LB option, its adding black bars on the side of the image of the game if you dont have standard widescreen ratio monitor example like 16:10, the option is there to preserve the correct aspect ratio (ball is round ect) in this case (thats nokami being lazy eeh)

Last edited:
Ireland on the other hand, is on the hype train right now. First and undefeated. Good job there dude. :GSCARF:

@Madmac79 thanks i wish the same, Italy is a top-tier either way, they should be in every final competition.

Speaking of Germany, the same applies for Bayern Munich, as much as i admire their press every game for 90' to win mentality, i don't agree when they do this against Estonias, San Marinos, Andoras, Vatican City or whatever really small team they face. Ok every team of the top Nations wins them by 4-0 or 5-0, but apply some fair-play dudes. It is a guaranteed victory after all. They keep pressing to 7-0, 8-0, 9-0 victories, being cynical for the shake of cynical. You did the 4-0, 5-0, the opponent is toothless. Pull the handbrake dudes, make some passing pullshit, make tricks.Anything.
Basically it does not have to do with the teams, but with the mentality. Manchester United used to do the same during the early 00's by the way.

@slamsoze , thanks man. I can't quite take all the credit as Big Mick is back in charge and he is letting the players play football again. Innovative idea compared to previous managers.
:THINK::THINK::THINK:

Although he has probably the poorest selection of Irish players available for call up in forty years. Irony is a cruel thing. We arguably had our strongest team before we ever qualified for any major international tournament.

On hammering minnows like Andorra, San Marino and Estonia or going easy on them for political and economic leverage as the Russians and Norwegians did last night.

Me and my pal @slamsoze , agree on almost everything, however I disagree a tiny bit on this competitive principle. If UEFA is ever going to be forced to reverse course on expanding football competitions beyond bursting point for clubs and countries. Then the only approach must be the German one 8 - 0 against Estonia was just realistic as Ireland beat them 5 - 1 on aggregate in a Euros playoff a few years ago. We are at least three goals behind Germany. That is called form and is also called professionals sports. A boxer does not go soft on his wobbling opponent before the KO blow is landed. The USA women's team annihilated Thailand by thirteen goals and people are questioning the tournament ? But American girls have been playing professional soccer for twenty or more years. That is just what happens when professionals play amateurs and the USA women's football team are
superb and likely winners of the World Cup.

Sorry to go on so long.

Last edited:
@slamsoze , btw dude, I agree completely that Italy should be at every major international tournament. Part of, for me, the big world football three: Brazil, Germany and Italy.

But sorry @Madmac79 and all other azzurri supporters. The Dinner's love for Italian football does not allow him to bend the iron rule of sport.

No team or player gets a free pass....

:NONO::NONO::NONO:

Last edited:
On hammering minnows like Andorra, San Marino and Estonia or going easy on them for political and economic leverage as the Russians and Norwegians did last night.

Me and my pal @slamsoze , agree on almost everything, however I disagree a tiny bit on this competitive principle. If UEFA is ever going to be forced to reverse course on expanding football competitions beyond bursting point for clubs and countries. Then the only approach must be the German one 8 - 0 against Estonia was just realistic as Ireland beat them 5 - 1 on aggregate in a Euros playoff a few years ago. We are at least three goals behind Germany. That is called form and is also called professionals sports. A boxer does not go soft on his wobbling opponent before the KO blow is landed. The USA women's team annihilated Thailand by thirteen goals and people are questioning the tournament ? But American girls have been playing professional soccer for twenty or more years. That is just what happens when professionals play amateurs and the USA women's football team are
superb and likely winners of the World Cup.

Sorry to go on so long.
Yeah technically i agree with you. But this is also each presidents of UEFA fault . They tend to support creation of small federations so they can have votes that can be manipulated in UEFA elections. Like Darth Sidious manipulated the senate of the Galactic Republic!! :P
That's why new Gibraltar-like teams pop-up like mushrooms every year.

Last edited:
There is something truly magical about PES 2008. I am sure other folks have their magical version of PES as well, but for me, 2008 hits the sweet spot.

my Spurs were playing Chelsea in the league cup and I could tell right from the start of the game Drogba was in form and would be trouble this game. Chelsea were hitting deep balls to him and he was winning headers easily over my 2 CB's. Most of the time he would win the ball and then pass it back to the incredible midfield of Ballack, Deco, Essien, (Lampard was out injured).

The last time I played Chelsea, we tied them 0-0. But you could tell in that game their form was down and they played terrible. This league game was a different story... End result was 2-0 Chelsea, (which could have been a lot more) with Drogba adding a powerful header goal. Joe Cole also scored a peach of a goal from almost midfield as one of my CB's lost position in a dangerous spot, and my keeper was out of position. I saved it, so will upload when I get a chance.

There is something truly magical about PES 2008. I am sure other folks have their magical version of PES as well, but for me, 2008 hits the sweet spot.

my Spurs were playing Chelsea in the league cup and I could tell right from the start of the game Drogba was in form and would be trouble this game. Chelsea were hitting deep balls to him and he was winning headers easily over my 2 CB's. Most of the time he would win the ball and then pass it back to the incredible midfield of Ballack, Deco, Essien, (Lampard was out injured).

The last time I played Chelsea, we tied them 0-0. But you could tell in that game their form was down and they played terrible. This league game was a different story... End result was 2-0 Chelsea, (which could have been a lot more) with Drogba adding a powerful header goal. Joe Cole also scored a peach of a goal from almost midfield as one of my CB's lost position in a dangerous spot, and my keeper was out of position. I saved it, so will upload when I get a chance.
Is that the PS2 or PC version? Just curious about your fondness for PES 2008 as your avatar is from the PS3 version but i know that the PS2 "Downgrade" version is more critically recieved here.

I'm quite fond of the PC version myself but i love the J-League 2008 version on PS2 at the moment.

I'm quite fond of the PC version myself but i love the J-League 2008 version on PS2 at the moment.

That's interesting MMB because I really never took to the PC version of 2008. I even tried it again recently thinking that at the time it was because of the initial disappointment after 3,4,5,6 and then suddenly it just felt awful to play in comparison. The player models were different and felt weird as well. However going back into it open minded years later I found I still couldn't get into it.

Maybe it's all part of UEFA's plan to leave us all so confused as to what is going on that we won't notice the new 128 team club European cup where everyone who has enough money, tv value or foreign fans automatically qualify. 4 groups of 32 teams played over 3 years whilst league football is suspended with the top three in each group going through. From there it's 12 groups of 8 with the top 4 going through to another group stage of death (the spectators that is through boredom) These 48 are split into 12 groups of four with the group winners and the next 20 best points total teams qualifying for a final group stage of 8 groups of 4. The most marketable teams then qualify for the last 16 no matter what the group results.

These play a knockout where teams play trump cards with categories like Highest Paid Player, Most followed player on twitter, Best Haircut on a big occasion, Most fans who have changed their club to follow your club because they are successful, Highest merchandise sold in Asia, Player with the most narcissistic post on instagram, and the fan favourite, Player with the most kisses of the badge after scoring despite not giving a shit about the club and ready to prostitute himself to the highest bidder at the first chance.

From there the last 8 play each other 32 times in what Sky describe as 'must see tv' whilst paying 400 billion pounds for the rights. The winner is crowned ultimate champion and gets a bye in the first round of the next tournament which starts 3 weeks later.

@mattmid , heard the latest update on this proposed Champions League expansion. Listening to Talksport this month as whenever a big international tournament is being broadcast on BBC Radio, all content is GEOBLOCKED here in Ireland....:NONO::NONO::NONO:.

Anyway, Gabriele Marcotti reported on Talksport yesterday that Andrea Agnelli, FIAT heir and Bianconeri president and European Club Association chair, and not UEFA and Gianni Infantino, is behind your nightmare vision of a never-ending European mid-week super League replacing the Champions League by 2023 / 24 is looking very unlikely as most existing regular Champions League clubs around Europe fear boring television viewers to death or permanent blindness if they expand any more for now.

So sadly matters mate, your chance to see thirty two team leagues with four in total, encompassing promotion / relegation and all is not quite here......yet.

But the moneymen are relentless and will keep trying to expand and increase television time until they get their way.

:TD::TD::TD:

Anyone seen this?

Just stumbled across it and thought it might be of interest.

With PES3 in 11th it's obviously been frequented by lunatics.

wank*r.com

Notorious meaningless ratings site that just throws whole heaps of ratings lists up with random rankings.

Bolloxology on steroids....

Last edited:
I guess it's naïve of me to think that people wouldn't spam such a trivial ranking.
The best rating you can do, is go to metacritic and same-typo sites and take mind the users score, not the professional critics score, cause pro critics tend to rate as they are paid to hype. For example you can see for a Diablo III , critics gave 88%!!! , while users gave 4/10. It is related to what budget the developer allocated for PR obviously.
Also these rating/votings are biased by the momentum sometimes. I remember last year in a very acclaimed site about movies, maybe rotten-tomatoes, in the top100 movies of all time, in No1 was "Black Panther"!!!! (which is not even Marvel's best movie.) surpassing movies like Citizen Kane, The Seventh Seal, Godfather, Casablanca, Schindlers list etc.
You see the problem is if you play a good pes or see a good movie , your rating will be moderate and mild. If a 13-15 years old plays a new game or watches hyped a new movie, he will naturally go to rate in an immature way giving 10/10, creating misleading ratings and rankings.

The thing is with all these ranking sites is that to all of us with subjective things like this, there's only one opinion that matters and that's our own. While it can be a handy rough guide if you're thinking about what movie to watch on netflix or something, when it comes down to it, we'll only find out if we like the game/movie if we play/watch it ourselves.

The best rating you can do, is go to metacritic and same-typo sites and take mind the users score, not the professional critics score, cause pro critics tend to rate as they are paid to hype. For example you can see for a Diablo III , critics gave 88%!!! , while users gave 4/10. It is related to what budget the developer allocated for PR obviously.
Also these rating/votings are biased by the momentum sometimes. I remember last year in a very acclaimed site about movies, maybe rotten-tomatoes, in the top100 movies of all time, in No1 was "Black Panther"!!!! (which is not even Marvel's best movie.) surpassing movies like Citizen Kane, The Seventh Seal, Godfather, Casablanca, Schindlers list etc.
You see the problem is if you play a good pes or see a good movie , your rating will be moderate and mild. If a 13-15 years old plays a new game or watches hyped a new movie, he will naturally go to rate in an immature way giving 10/10, creating misleading ratings and rankings.

If ever a year taught me to ignore critics' reviews, it's the year of FIFA/PES 2019. At release, both games had huge flaws which stopped me playing either. In a time of patches and data packs, critics' reviews are redundant.

The thing is with all these ranking sites is that to all of us with subjective things like this, there's only one opinion that matters and that's our own. While it can be a handy rough guide if you're thinking about what movie to watch on netflix or something, when it comes down to it, we'll only find out if we like the game/movie if we play/watch it ourselves.

100%. That's a mantra more should adopt. It's more the curiosity of what the wider world thinks when it comes to PES.

I agree matters mate. But don't be too hard on yourself @Flipper the Priest , the web review and rankings sites were not always so full of nonsense as @slamsoze , explained so very well.

Only in the last ten years or so you just can not believe a word they say. That is mainly down to the consolidation of games and movie studios and publishers into mega media corporations that reach across all media like a dead hand, influencing all game review sites globally with their ad budget expenditure used to leverage good reviews for their games, movies, TV shows. Apple, Google, Microsoft, Sony and Disney being the most mammoth of all in all media platforms.

How can any truth get through to we the little people ?

:OT:

Juventus FC's sporting director is in London today bargain shopping (the Old Lady never misses a trick): Sarri, Pogba, and perhaps Kane, Aguero and Salah picked up on their way through Duty Free at the airport.

Wonder how much they will ask Man Yoo for, to take Paul Pogba off their hands ?

I have to grudgingly admire this totally relentless need to humiliate all opponents on the pitch and in the transfer market.

:BLINK::BLINK::BLINK:

Promoted!
Finished second, last matchday 4 teams fighting for 2 remaining spots, own goal gave a 2-1 win. :D

Managed to get me some decent players, Penneteau a french keeper, Henrique a BRA CB, one DM named Teber and Swerts a Belgian allrounder and squad player.

The keeper is so important, those Joe Hart Mr. "soft hands" situations and easy tap-ins are one of the few main issues with 2009, a good keeper will help me with this immensly.

My goal is to stay in the league, no way im going back to this D2 horror again! :ANX:

If I told you the CPU in PES6 would commit 24 fouls in 120 minutes of play (12 on the first 45 virtual minutes of play), would you believe me?

c9DvXLp.png

I really want to play PES2008 PS2 version, but i don't have ps2 right now. Is playing on an emulator a good choice?

If I told you the CPU in PES6 would commit 24 fouls in 120 minutes of play (12 on the first 45 virtual minutes of play), would you believe me?

c9DvXLp.png

@miguelfcp , Meh miggy, one of the fouls was an offside. And PES 6 COM teams love a good block or shoulder charge.

It often feels more like an NFL gridiron slugfest, but good game.....

:BEER:

Guys. I need your help.

Does anyone have the Team Reefur 2005-2006 patch for Winning Eleven 8 Liveware Evolution (PS2)? I am desperately trying to find it. I found the 0.9 patch but the 2005-2006 patch included a load of updates that are missing. If anyone has it can you please, please upload it or if you know of any working links it would be really appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom