The Retro-PES Corner

Watching that video, I also forgot to mention the annoying delay on replays waiting for the logo to come up before you can quit out of it, plus the sheer amount of them!

Plus the virtual assault, I mean sliding tackles, that are mental, launched in like an angry Roy Keane.

That aside though it is enjoyable.
Lol, fouls was a big problem with this game,launched assaults every where lol

Watching the Nations League crap right now, SUI-ENG. How bad is this idea for real. Mid June match, after a season followed a World Cup, the sun is heating. Players are so bored and so tired, that I got also exhausted by sympathy, only watching them.
I mean back in season start, it was always stupid concept, but it was fun to make jokes of or troll UEFA. Now it is not even funny.

Last edited:
Watching the Nations League crap right now, SUI-ENG. How bad is this idea for real. Mid June match, after a season followed a World Cup, the sun is heating. Players are so bored and so tired, that I got also exhausted by sympathy, only watching them.
I mean back in season start, it was always stupid concept, but it was fun to make jokes of or troll UEFA. Now it is not even funny.

It's pathetic. The new systems both UEFA and FIFA are implementing (or trying to implement) so that more teams can get to the final tournament or qualify to final tournament playoffs are simply pathetic. They water down the competitions and it kind of reminds me of what modern schools are doing with kids: awarding them medals and diplomas for participating or being a nice boy/girl.

Where the hell did the natural human competitive spirit go?

2009 ML (5*, 10min, ML diff. hardest) is going good so far, draw the first cup match, lost the second so im out, lost the first two league matches in D2 as well, then changed from the default 3412 which usually suits the default squad well, but 2009 is so hard it really lacked the threat upfront somehow so I figured a 4222 was the closest match to still let most of the players play and have more attacking power, the defaults are a bit CF and AM heavy so its fine.
Probably wont make the promotion, if lucky as the 3. ranked one, because the D2 is a bit larger than on the PS2 games so its one spot more which is nice, chose Middlesbrough due to cool default emblem with the agressive looking owl :D, using a simple OF here that only corrects the names for everything and adding the german league.

The ML is pretty basic but already has the player happiness rating represented by a heart, so whole new level of management is there compared to lets say PES6, surely will affect contracts and such, one can also train the players individually I think which would be cool, and yeah the leagues are 20 spots not 16.

The referee is top notch btw, decision making is spot on, most fun I had with PES since one of my PES6 International Challennge runs years ago.
I can really recommend this game to PS2 Engine fans, its up there with the best no doubt here.

I forgot to mention that technique stat and R2 really make a difference, for example passing back to Ivarov sometimes the trap is really bad and the ball jumps from the foot a few meters, you really need to be careful with them scrubs, unlike PS2 Engine games where it mainly feels all the same really, another plus.

ps ah why not adding my team here as well:
Gutierrez Castolo
Ettori Foque
Jaric Dodo
Ruskin Baumann Valeny El Moubarki
Ivarov

Last edited:
Oh and btw @miguelfcp , congratulations on winning the inaugural UEFA Nations League.
Now let's be clear, the Dinner does not change his mind on FIFA or UEFA contrivances to make football a year-long borefest, and all that our friend @slamsoze , said is totally true. But Bernardo Silva seemed to be playing a game of his own last night that would have graced and proper football tournament. CR7 hogs all the attention as ever, but this little fella looks like Sousa or Arellano made into a real life footballer.

And that is praise indeed from me....

:TU::TU::TU:

@Chris Davies: Come on man, we had a deal...

@WhoAteMeDinner: It still doesn't feel as if we actually won a title, honestly. My hype meter barely moved...I just don't see the point of having an extra NT european championship, so the whole thing just looks like a glorified friendly competition, a kind of ICC for NTs...
I'm seriously much more excited for the Copa America-Asia-Middle East. I'm rooting for Japan to pull a Pedro Álvares Cabral and conquer Brazil.

@Chris Davies: Come on man, we had a deal...

@WhoAteMeDinner: It still doesn't feel as if we actually won a title, honestly. My hype meter barely moved...I just don't see the point of having an extra NT european championship, so the whole thing just looks like a glorified friendly competition, a kind of ICC for NTs...
I'm seriously much more excited for the Copa America-Asia-Middle East. I'm rooting for Japan to pull a Pedro Álvares Cabral and conquer Brazil.

Euro 2020 may be the legit national teams championships. Just a shame it has been organized by a cabal of airlines, hotel chains and credit card companies.

Dublin - Baku - Bilbao - St. Petersburg.

Airsick yet ??????

:PUKE::PUKE::PUKE:

My hype meter barely moved...I just don't see the point of having an extra NT european championship, so the whole thing just looks like a glorified friendly competition, a kind of ICC for NTs...
Couldn't have summed it up any better myself. UEFA really tried to market this as something to get invested in but it was hard to give a shit when the true purpose is more football for the sake of selling TV rights.

I've been enjoying some of the Womens World Cup actually, even if the goals seem like their being scored on 1 star difficulty.

Couldn't have summed it up any better myself. UEFA really tried to market this as something to get invested in but it was hard to give a shit when the true purpose is more football for the sake of selling TV rights.

I've been enjoying some of the Womens World Cup actually, even if the goals seem like their being scored on 1 star difficulty.

@MafiaMurderBag , The UEFA Nations League also drew attention away from the Women's World Cup opening games. I know some of the goals look a bit amateurish, but in fairness to the women, we must remember how many of them are professional footballers the whole time and differentials in physical power and strength between the genders.

We ain't gonna see a Harry Maguire bullet header or a Ronaldo belt-it-into-the-dirt free kick by the women anytime soon.

At least I hope not.

Say what you want about women's football but my God it makes a world of difference as an entertainment spectacle when the players aren't rolling around on the floor feigning injury every five minutes. It makes the 90 minutes fly by (in a good way).

I was listening to a podcast the other day and someone made the excellent point that people don't tend to compare men's and women's tennis - "if only she could have hit that as hard as a man" or whatever. They're two separate sports. So is women's football, and I've seen the positive effect it has on young women who feel like they have no right playing football (because you can see through sexism as an adult, but as a kid when a boy tells you that you can't play, it's real, and it's binding, and it stays with you).

Also, it's the only chance England have got of winning anything in my lifetime, so come on England! It's coming home. Ahem.

I know some of the goals look a bit amateurish, but in fairness to the women, we must remember how many of them are professional footballers the whole time and differentials in physical power and strength between the genders.
The major difference for me is in how much investment their clubs have put into them. Some of the women's Premier League players are absolutely amazing in comparison to most - because they have the training facilities and they work with staff who push them to their limits. There are already teams who are the female equivalent of Man City (winning everything by having the most money and the best facilities)...

Whereas other teams (and in other countries), they're given a gym membership (at most) and told to sort themselves out.

Actually, there was an interview with someone from the England first team the other day, and after getting injured playing for her club, she had to work every day, by herself, to get herself fit again and into contention for the national team. That determination is worth just as much from a woman as from a man.

Say what you want about women's football but my God it makes a world of difference as an entertainment spectacle when the players aren't rolling around on the floor feigning injury every five minutes.

It makes the 90 minutes fly by (in a good way).

I was listening to a podcast the other day and someone made the excellent point that people don't tend to compare men's and women's tennis - "if only she could have hit that as hard as a man" or whatever. They're two separate sports. So is women's football, and I've seen the positive effect it has on young women who feel like they have no right playing football (because you can see through sexism as an adult, but as a kid when a boy tells you that you can't play, it's real, and it's binding, and it stays with you).

Also, it's the only chance England have got of winning anything in my lifetime, so come on England! Ahem.

And @Chris Davies , when a female tennis player can "hit the ball as hard as a man" like Serena Williams, look at the savage criticism. Women's sport can't win. If women footballers hit the protein supplements hard in the coming years and start running as fast as their male counterparts and are belting the ball into the net from thirty five yards, they will be called: "she-men".

Puritan in PES and real world football to my dying day.....

As a lifelong Ireland fan, (first game attended aged seven, Liam Brady was playing). The boys in green may well wrap up qualification for the commercially expanded twenty four team Euros after just four games played this evening.

Qualification should not be this easy and completely lacking in drama or suspense.

Our beautiful game is being sucked dry of all passion, spontaneity and love by the moneymen.

To hell with them all.......

Say what you want about women's football but my God it makes a world of difference as an entertainment spectacle when the players aren't rolling around on the floor feigning injury every five minutes

That's very true but I do fear that sadly the more recognition and money that comes into the women's game then it'll come.

@WhoAteMeDinner Qualification is a joke isn't it? What's the point if virtually half the teams will qualify for the finals? Why don't UEFA just hand pick the finalists? Oh wait...

That's very true but I do fear that sadly the more recognition and money that comes into the women's game then it'll come.

@WhoAteMeDinner Qualification is a joke isn't it? What's the point if virtually half the teams will qualify for the finals? Why don't UEFA just hand pick the finalists? Oh wait...

@mattmid , matters mate. We are wired brainwave-wise again. You mean good old VAR will allow UEFA hand pick the finalists.

In this bent footballing world, you can have sixty f'ing teams at every finals and just pick the two highest-revenue television countries with some seriously dodgy VAR decisions in the quarters and semis.

And qualification is beyond a joke my friend. It makes European football look cheap and tawdry. Listening to Talksport last night and I think Danny Kelly was justifying the expanded twenty four team Euro finals by saying teams like Holland or Italy with great fans and footballing legacies could not be absent from big international tournaments.

WTF is going on ?

:R1:R1:R1

Just dropping in to shred talkSPORT. A good number of their morons - especially the fat specky mess - believe football needn't exist below elite level. Their criticism (for which no-one asked) of Scottish football is testament to that.

And yes I know his name, but I'm not missing the chance to stick the boot in.

Even though it should benefit the like of Scotland (which it's supposed to, they'll say, when in fact it's to ensure the big boys always get there as well as jobbers like us) I'm no fan of the 24 team set up.

And @mattmid - interesting you make the same point I did last night watching England vs Scotland. It'll go the same way as the men's game. When it means more than pride and integrity, humans get dirty. Shout out to Neymar.

Just dropping in to shred talkSPORT. A good number of their morons - especially the fat specky mess - believe football needn't exist below elite level. Their criticism (for which no-one asked) of Scottish football is testament to that.

And yes I know his name, but I'm not missing the chance to stick the boot in.

Even though it should benefit the like of Scotland (which it's supposed to, they'll say, when in fact it's to ensure the big boys always get there as well as jobbers like us) I'm no fan of the 24 team set up.

And @mattmid - interesting you make the same point I did last night watching England vs Scotland. It'll go the same way as the men's game. When it means more than pride and integrity, humans get dirty. Shout out to Neymar.

@Flipper the Priest , he used to have some integrity and intelligence twenty years ago when he presented a short-lived latenight football show on Channel 4 called Under the Moon.
Talksport's parent company was bought out by Newscorp three years ago, so I guess any remaining integrity went into the shredder that day.

:((:((:((

Here's my goal of the week
Not as near as good as my first entry. But has to be back to normal.

Also, Miguel gets my vote this week. Awesome goal

Last edited:
@Flipper the Priest , he used to have some integrity and intelligence twenty years ago when he presented a short-lived latenight football show on Channel 4 called Under the Moon.
Talksport's parent company was bought out by Newscorp three years ago, so I guess any remaining integrity went into the shredder that day.

:((:((:((

I meant another of their fat specky messes. The troll.

God when I think about talkSPORT. Alan Brazil. Jason Cundy. They're all trolls. Must... Not... Bite.

Back
Top Bottom