The Retro-PES Corner

@jajabinx35 Great goal but it reminded me of that kid at school (Everyone had one right?) that would never f*cking pass! :LOL:

@WhoAteMeDinner I don't remember hearing any more on this but a couple of weeks back (maybe a month now?) there was supposed to be a discussion on changing the format of the Champions League. They want to change it to 4 groups of 8 and get this - the top 6 automatically qualify for the following season. Probably the next step for the Euro's, get to the quarter finals and you qualify for the next one.

@Flipper the Priest Exactly. It's got to the stage now where they can't even take a bloody corner without trying to push the limits of where to place the ball. So much stuff could be stopped with a few law changes, but no, they bring in important stuff like being able to kick backwards from the kick off. A real game changer that was. :BRICK: I see they are saying a sub must go off at the nearest touchline from next season but as Martin Tyler said in commentary the other day, expect the player being subbed to stand in the middle of the pitch now. Why not bring on subs without stopping play? We have a fourth official who only appears to be there for the manager's to argue with, why not make him in charge of all subs and the game doesn't stop. See how quick they get off then.

Lol, on the playground, the formation would normally be 1-1-9. All the kids would play as a striker, the one defender is usually the incapable one and the goalie just doesn't get a choice to ever play in the field lol.
There is a meme about this, unfortunately in Greek, i’ll try to transfer it to you, it applies for every Greek hood-football game:

No1-GK= The the most “fat” friend.

No5-CB+SW= the most killing guy, he has the less technique, he likes wear real football boots with metal spikes usually and do real sliding tackles in concrete courts. He loves fighting and adores the Uruguay defending of the 30s. (1930). Sometimes he attends martial arts courses in his free time, kickboxing, MMA, etc.

No2+7-RB+RWB+RMF= simply the fastest right footed friend with the best stamina and patience to not join the attack and overcrowd the others.

No3-LB+LWB+LMF+LWF= the ONLY left-footed guy, he takes all left side alone!!!!

No6+8-DMF+CMF= The friend with most teamwork mentality, he tries to bring the football immersion in the hood, connects the one defender with the rest team who are walking in offense, he is box-to-box ( if he doesn’t smoke :P ). He usually is the only guy who falls deep to assist in defense and the one to take the blame in goals conceded!! Miraculously the only guy who plays for his passing stats and knows what an assist means! He should be a MINANDA but he is forced to be a Makelele (Real Madrid era).

No10-AMF+SS= the most technically gifted guy, plays strictly classic10, although he passes very rare , he never marks a player or defends and he takes all set pieces FK,CK, except for PKs, which penalties are taken by a next
“category guy”. He usually plays for a real football club, 11x11 in the youth academies.

No9-CF= The most friends in team, other is more lucky and has scoring instinct , other is faster than the others, other has Adriano-like shooting, other is a dribbling juggler. Everyone stays near the box and wait to score. When this friend is found by coincidence, being marked in the flanks, he will ignore teammates support and he will try to play the 1-2 pass with the wall (wall dribble) or if not wall, he will try some Mumbo-jumbo trick like rainbow-flick.Ir maybe he will try to shoot the ball on opponents body to take an intentional throw-in or corner kick , with less success usually. :) Often during the course of the match, the One of the CFs that wasted the most chances and gathered the most anger, is yelled by the others to leave the Offense and go back, with the iconic shout : “GO HELP THE DEFENSE MO-FAKER!!!and don’t pass the midfield line again” :)

SPECIAL CATEGORY
-The Ball owner!

No*-WHATEVER he LIKES! permanent CF striker and permanent offside=
he stays front of the opponent goalkeeper even if the other team has a final minute golden goal corner kick or a penalty kick= The ball owner!!! The guy who brought his own ball, which his dad brought him, usually an official replica Nike,Adidas,Umbro,,Select,Puma etc from some official event CL,EL,euro,mundial etc. He often wears official team kit Barca,Real,Etc with name and number and he knows very little about football, he usually wastes the team opportunities, he collides with other CF while they try both people kick one single ball, he dives with the lightest touch when a defender steals the ball from him.
Finally if you don’t give him the crazy penalty he demands, or if you don’t let him take EVERY single penalty, or you piss him of , shouting at him cause he body tackled you , while you dribble the GK and you were heading to score in empty-net, and he achieved to waste your effort , shooting far outside from the goalpost, maybe even over the rooftop of the neighbors house near the court you play, he just gets angry and takes his ball and goes home, interrupting the much.
Sometimes, if there is a little piece of good inside this guy, while he decided to leave with his ball offended, he might let both teams play penalty kick to decide the winner despite any previous score, and of course during the PK he will not take part, he will stay near the goalpost watching the PKs, booooohh shouting at his former teammates who insulted him and not worshiped him like a god and he will support any effort from the opponent team.

Last edited:
There is also a set of “house-rules” applied in the neighborhood I grew up and sure in my hometown . They were unwritten laws , applied in special selection matches like kidsVSteens, when we were the kids, as we were the last generation who played football outside in the hood-street-playgrounds.
I will post them latter on the day, now that I remember them and following today’s trends, they are all cases in the edge of “bullying” we had taken. :P
I.E.: In the halftime pause of the kidsVSteens match, the youngest of the kids team goes to the local market of the hood, and buys for the Teens team water, drinks, chips and chocolate or ice cream.

@MafiaMurderBag , The UEFA Nations League also drew attention away from the Women's World Cup opening games. I know some of the goals look a bit amateurish, but in fairness to the women, we must remember how many of them are professional footballers the whole time and differentials in physical power and strength between the genders.
No i do get that, I was being a bit whimsical but i wasn't making a slight at the women's game, It's a world of difference but in a sense it's almost a throwback to how football was 50 years ago, there's a large discrepancy between some of the best teams and those taking part as for a lot of these nations, especially the African ones, Football development for women is severely lacking, these are their best athletes available for world cup selection.

Most of these women in the world cup as a whole probably have normal full time or part time jobs and don't make a living from the sport which in a sense makes the "playing for your country" a lot more honorable then it does for the men which seems like an inconvenience most of the time, hence the Nations League.

The best women's players probably do well with endorsements and sponsorships like Marta or Alice Morgan but it's a drop in the ocean compared to what the men earn in a day.

Say what you want about women's football but my God it makes a world of difference as an entertainment spectacle when the players aren't rolling around on the floor feigning injury every five minutes. It makes the 90 minutes fly by (in a good way).

I was listening to a podcast the other day and someone made the excellent point that people don't tend to compare men's and women's tennis - "if only she could have hit that as hard as a man" or whatever. They're two separate sports. So is women's football, and I've seen the positive effect it has on young women who feel like they have no right playing football (because you can see through sexism as an adult, but as a kid when a boy tells you that you can't play, it's real, and it's binding, and it stays with you).

Also, it's the only chance England have got of winning anything in my lifetime, so come on England! It's coming home. Ahem.
I completely agree. Because of the difference between men and women, there's a lot less individual efforts from players and a lot more emphasis on team play and passing and that's been refreshing to see.

The remark about some of the goals is not only in regards to the lack of skill in some of the under developed squads but also, the height of most of the goal keepers. Granted not everyone has the leap and reach of Cech or Neuer but Goalkeepers are typically taller for a reason. Not many of these women are as tall, But it does bear and interesting debate... Should they round of the data of the average height of registered female goalkeepers and adjust the size of the goal to be smaller to make it fairer?

I'm not a follower of other women's sports so i'm wondering if any other sports have relaxed certain requirements for the female competitors in regards to their physical capabilities?

@jajabinx35 Great goal but it reminded me of that kid at school (Everyone had one right?) that would never f*cking pass! :LOL:

@WhoAteMeDinner I don't remember hearing any more on this but a couple of weeks back (maybe a month now?) there was supposed to be a discussion on changing the format of the Champions League. They want to change it to 4 groups of 8 and get this - the top 6 automatically qualify for the following season. Probably the next step for the Euro's, get to the quarter finals and you qualify for the next one.
This is exactly what i hated about Euro 2016, The four best third-ranked sides out of the 6 groups would qualify too.

How ridiculous does that sound? Best 3rd ranked team in a group of four? Why even try, why even bother being competitive? May as well borrow from that X-Factor shit and introduce a wildcard team into the knockout stages... The best loser from the Euro Qualification playoffs who didn't even make the final tournament get's asked back in place of the worst of the four best third ranked sides and they automatically begin the game with a 1 goal advantage too.

giphy.gif

@MafiaMurderBag , me and @Chris Davies , were going down our own discussion side road. Nothing to do with your comment at all pal. And it was in no manner a slight.

I can see why women's football seems much more gentle in terms of pace and power to anybody getting used to watching it.

But everyone here knows my pet hate is not lack of power or strength in modern football, but too much power, stamina and strength that seems a bit "artificial" or "pharmaceutical" in nature.

The Bianconeri would probably (legal leeway) get steroid shots in the eyeballs if it would give them an edge playing under floodlights.

:SHOCK::SHOCK::SHOCK:

@Flipper the Priest Exactly. It's got to the stage now where they can't even take a bloody corner without trying to push the limits of where to place the ball. So much stuff could be stopped with a few law changes, but no, they bring in important stuff like being able to kick backwards from the kick off. A real game changer that was. :BRICK: I see they are saying a sub must go off at the nearest touchline from next season but as Martin Tyler said in commentary the other day, expect the player being subbed to stand in the middle of the pitch now. Why not bring on subs without stopping play? We have a fourth official who only appears to be there for the manager's to argue with, why not make him in charge of all subs and the game doesn't stop. See how quick they get off then.

@mattmid , I read that UEFA media babble too. An eight team group would also allow relegation as well and with almost permanent "membership" of the Champions League for Europe's big clubs in what is a de facto Euro Club Super League. This saves UEFA the humiliation of the Milanese clubs, Real, Barca, Bayern, PSG, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea and others bunking off to set up their own proprietary league.

This is exactly what i hated about Euro 2016, The four best third-ranked sides out of the 6 groups would qualify too.

How ridiculous does that sound? Best 3rd ranked team in a group of four? Why even try, why even bother being competitive? May as well borrow from that X-Factor shit and introduce a wildcard team into the knockout stages... The best loser from the Euro Qualification playoffs who didn't even make the final tournament get's asked back in place of the worst of the four best third ranked sides and they automatically begin the game with a 1 goal advantage too

Yeah it's an absolute joke. Also, isn't the plan with the 48 team world cup to have 16 groups of 3 with 2 qualifying?

Been a while since i shared some clips, some of you on Twitter might have already seen them though.

Been on a bit of a bender playing PES 2014 & PES 2011 this week, '14 especially feels very satisfying because of the slower and deliberate pace of the game.

Ivanovic wins a slide tackle and releases a pass while staying down. Think they removed this animation in games since?

Nice one handed save animation that doesn't have moon physics. I'm playing on -1 game speed here which explains why it looks a little slow.

Size doesn't always matter, Henderson coming across the bigger Yaya with enough momentum is always going to unbalance the larger opponent.

I had a bit of fun with the PES 2014 demo back in the day, but I just remember the game being an absolute shit show. Now I'm morbidly curious...

finished the 2009 ml d2 season next to last :CONFUSE:, the ai is sharp and the defaults sukk monkay balls for breakfast :CALM:, ivarov was very poor, zamennhof the old lad finished as the new nr1, i couldnt get any decent players in, just some of the newgens like harty (DM) or somin

now the second time in and it plays out all the same, again on the 11. spot..
what have i done what is goin on :LOL:

Pes 09 is a truly fun chapter. It's very stats driven, IA is pretty good, in particular star players but also with good general behaviour. Only downside is that it's a bit on the fast side and I dislike some choices they made with inertia and change of direction.. still, perfectly enjoyable.

It's a shame it was a bit buggy when I reinstalled it time ago (like replays going super fast for some reason).

:OT:

Will the Euro 2020 qualifier window ever end ? UEFA stretch everything out to the point of death.

The June international qualifier window used to be a single Saturday and then six weeks of no football at all for a welcome break every odd number year.

Am I just too old school ?

:CRY::CRY::CRY:

Been a while since i shared some clips, some of you on Twitter might have already seen them though.

Been on a bit of a bender playing PES 2014 & PES 2011 this week, '14 especially feels very satisfying because of the slower and deliberate pace of the game.

Ivanovic wins a slide tackle and releases a pass while staying down. Think they removed this animation in games since?

Nice one handed save animation that doesn't have moon physics. I'm playing on -1 game speed here which explains why it looks a little slow.

Size doesn't always matter, Henderson coming across the bigger Yaya with enough momentum is always going to unbalance the larger opponent.

2014 is the best PES of the current generation!

Very nice little vids man... Especially the one-handed save, it's something I really miss (it was there in PES 2015, I've seen it several times in PES 2017, but it kinda disappeared in PES 2018: when keepers pull it, it's usually out of context).

Indeed, these nice little videos made me want to play PES 2014 again. :DD

LOL. I remember when they used to reserve a couple of spots to "invited" teams. They even asked Japan to play once or twic...Oh WAI-

CONMEBOL headquarters be like:

Ahhhh Britney, brings the Dinner back to his youth. They don't make music videos like that anymore either.
You would probably be arrested for making one.

:BLINK::BLINK::BLINK:

@WhoAteMeDinner Perhaps they'll introduce a summer qualifying tournament :LOL: Sad thing is it wouldn't surprise me!

Qatar must be spending an awful lot of money at that FIFA shop.

@mattmid , and @*aLe , I understand why two invited teams are included in each recent Copa America, as CONMEBOL has ten countries, and they need twelve for three groups. But surely at least try and not look corrupt, craven and money-grabbing for once and choose from only teams in the Americas. Japan are there for the television audience and Qatar are their because......

:R1:R1:R1

@slamsoze , what did you think of the Euro qualifiers tonight my friend ?
I checked only final results to be honest, as i watched Greece losing to Armenia 2-3. For the rest games, the most underdogs lost. For the game i watched, i expected a bad result, draw possibly not loss, cause Greece is in bad shape, but i was impressed by Armenia, they played really good football there. They were more fresh than the Nations League dudes. And their second goal was a clear PES R2+:square: shot!!! :)
Our group is complicated to be honest. @Madmac79 's Italy is the clear leader and after them there is a good Finland having the momentum right now, while we with Bosnia, who are the second best in quality after Italy, are in a downhill right now.

But for real, this Nations League matches, coming the same period as Qualifiers really shited on my football apetite. I am still emotionally confused, who won what, what did those Portugal dudes in the Nations League won at last? A wild-card? A second chance? A free ticket?? A better life?

#makeUEFAgreatagain!!!! :P :D :LOL::GSCARF::EASY::RSCARF:\

P.S.: You know this period of time,it is difficult to make Greek players focus on national team, as they get prepared for their vacations in Mykonos (the famous greek island) !!!! :P :P :P Like Kostas Manolas

Last edited:
I checked only final results to be honest, as i watched Greece losing to Armenia 2-3. For the rest games, the most underdogs lost. For the game i watched, i expected a bad result, draw possibly not loss, cause Greece is in bad shape, but i was impressed by Armenia, they played really good football there. They were more fresh than the Nations League dudes. And their second goal was a clear PES R2+:square: shot!!! :)
Our group is complicated to be honest. @Madmac79 's Italy is the clear leader and after them there is a good Finland having the momentum right now, while we with Bosnia, who are the second best in quality after Italy, are in a downhill right now.

But for real, this Nations League matches, coming the same period as Qualifiers really shited on my football apetite. I am still emotionally confused, who won what, what did those Portugal dudes in the Nations League won at last? A wild-card? A second chance? A free ticket?? A better life?

#makeUEFAgreatagain!!!! :P :D :LOL::GSCARF::EASY::RSCARF:

Lol @slamsoze , mate. Remember your countrymen have a history of surprising great empires. Watch out Italy.
:SHHH:
As for my twopence view, some results looks like Eurovision Song Contest political voting.

Russia only beat Cyprus by a goal. And Norway just edged out the Faroes by two.

Germany by contrast, clearly with no German offshore bank accounts or north atlantic fishing quotas on the line, simply hammered Estonia by eight.

As for UEFA......:MAD::MAD::MAD:

Last edited:

#makeUEFAgreatagain!!!! :P :D :LOL::GSCARF::EASY::RSCARF:\

P.S.: You know this period of time,it is difficult to make Greek players focus on national team, as they get prepared for their vacations in Mykonos (the famous greek island) !!!! :P :P :P Like Kostas Manolas

Great analysis my friend. I saw Italy's game tonight (well an eye on it and an eye on the Pes 2020 tragic streaming) but I wasn't impressed. We won thanks to two great plays by Insigne and Verratti but Bosnia played much better for a large part of the game. I think they should have at least draw, to be honest. I was also surprised by us beating your Greece so easily the other day. Maybe it's that I have the idea of Manolas himself being the absolute defensive leader of my Roma rivals, without which they usually play much worse in their own area, but I tought it would have been harder for us to score. Maybe it's like you say and the fella already went to vacation in his mind. I hope he leaves Roma btw, too good for them:P.
Anyway, best of luck to your team:BEER:! Since Lulic retired from Bosnia's team years ago I'll root for you to pass the group with us.

And btw you are right about Nations League.. it left me confused too lol, when the semis randomly spawned on the tv schedule I had no idea what that was all about. Too many games..

If anything tho, all this talking about nationals is tempting me to start some adventure with the few Pes/WE chapters that allowed you to start from the qualify rounds and to select players.. in WE 10 it's possible and it's the game I'm doing random friendlies here and there lately.. mmh we'll see..

Back
Top Bottom