The Retro-PES Corner

The final was indeed awful but I think the tourney itself was very exciting, actually one of the most entertaining I've ever watched with all those comebacks and great matches.

I agree it was, but the key part being the knockout part of the tournament was very entertaining. The group stage is just there for money making and offers little in the way of excitement unless you get the final game deciding things. It would be so much better if it was a two leg knockout all the way through like it used to be as the European Cup. No seeding, you draw who you draw.

The final was indeed awful but I think the tourney itself was very exciting, actually one of the most entertaining I've ever watched with all those comebacks and great matches.

Poor defending and telly pundit hys
I agree it was, but the key part being the knockout part of the tournament was very entertaining. The group stage is just there for money making and offers little in the way of excitement unless you get the final game deciding things. It would be so much better if it was a two leg knockout all the way through like it used to be as the European Cup. No seeding, you draw who you draw.

@mattmid , not likely mate. Only you, me and the owner of Accrington Stanley would vote for that.

The boys at UEFA and the Arab, Chinese, Russian and American club owners want promotion and relegation introduced soon, meaning yet more games and less knock-out football.

The game is dead.....

Poor defending and telly pundit hys

@mattmid , not likely mate. Only you, me and the owner of Accrington Stanley would vote for that.

The boys at UEFA and the Arab, Chinese, Russian and American club owners want promotion and relegation introduced soon, meaning yet more games and less knock-out football.

The game is dead.....
If it was single-leg knock-out games, Otto Rehhagel and Fernando Santos would vote too!!! :P :D

If it was single-leg knock-out games, Otto Rehhagel and Fernando Santos would vote too!!! :P :D

@slamsoze , old buddy, those two old school football men certainly would as maybe Wenger and Capella too. Although fierce Fabio would likely side with me and reduce the European Cup to eight teams and a single game knock-out format.

Create a load of regional knock-out competitions for each of the eight highly sought after places in a true European Cup of only seven games.

The Dinner would ban the words group stage forever......

:R1:R1:R1

@WhoAteMeDinner

Great idea but they would then find a way to make the regional games into a group phase with two teams qualifying!

Actually what you just said if you think about it was basically the Cup Winners Cup! Another good competition they did away with.

Just for the hell of it let's introduce a new prize for winning the Champions League. You automatically qualify for the Europa League :DD

@MafiaMurderBag What an epic final. Chelsea putting all that pressure, and then Porto sneaking one in with a wonder strike. Then Chelsea regaining dominance! That is PES classic at its best.

I like how some AI teams seem to have team "form" in the Master League. Just came up against Wigan who were sitting 5th in the league and they destroyed us 4-1. Camara and Heskey were unstoppable.

Current table through 7 games

1. Arsenal 19 pts
2. Newcastle 15
3. Liverpool 13
4. Wigan 12
5. Chelsea 12
6. Man C 11
7. Man U 11
8. Bolton 10
9. Middlesbrough 9
10. Sunderland 8
11. Tottenham (Me) 7
12. Fulham 7
13. Portsmouth 6
14. Aston Villa 5
15. Everton 5
16. Stoke City 0

Looks like Stoke City will be getting relegated unless some drastic turnaround happens.

@WhoAteMeDinner

Great idea but they would then find a way to make the regional games into a group phase with two teams qualifying!

Actually what you just said if you think about it was basically the Cup Winners Cup! Another good competition they did away with.

Just for the hell of it let's introduce a new prize for winning the Champions League. You automatically qualify for the Europa League :DD

@mattmid , probably mate. Money always finds a way to sneak into every football competition and destroy them.

Cup Winners Cup was superb.

:WORSHIP:

I like how some AI teams seem to have team "form" in the Master League. Just came up against Wigan who were sitting 5th in the league and they destroyed us 4-1. Camara and Heskey were unstoppable.

Current table through 7 games

1. Arsenal 19 pts
2. Newcastle 15
3. Liverpool 13
4. Wigan 12
5. Chelsea 12
6. Man C 11
7. Man U 11
8. Bolton 10
9. Middlesbrough 9
10. Sunderland 8
11. Tottenham (Me) 7
12. Fulham 7
13. Portsmouth 6
14. Aston Villa 5
15. Everton 5
16. Stoke City 0

Looks like Stoke City will be getting relegated unless some drastic turnaround happens.

Interesting. Which Pes are you playing?

@Madmac79

PES 2008 PSP. Maybe it's a coincidence, but some of my results seem to suggest that the AI teams do have a form that affects your games against them.

Lost to Arsenal 3-1 This is not a surprise result, but Arsenal are undefeated so far.
Beat Stoke City 3-1 Our only win so far, against a team that hasn't even managed a point through 7 games.
Then lost to Wigan 4-1 Wigan is having a hot start to the season and has only lost 1 game, (to Arsenal).

Anyone else noticed this during their ML?

@Madmac79

PES 2008 PSP. Maybe it's a coincidence, but some of my results seem to suggest that the AI teams do have a form that affects your games against them.

Lost to Arsenal 3-1 This is not a surprise result, but Arsenal are undefeated so far.
Beat Stoke City 3-1 Our only win so far, against a team that hasn't even managed a point through 7 games.
Then lost to Wigan 4-1 Wigan is having a hot start to the season and has only lost 1 game, (to Arsenal).

Anyone else noticed this during their ML?
I supposed you would say pes2008PS2. Close enough :P
You know why? For the same reason i see a usual "KONAMI routine" here, about the form you said. NEWCASTLE which is a licensed team and is 2nd in the league. I assume that Tottenham , the other licensed "mascot" would be around the top too, due to CPU form, if it was not controlled by the human player.

ok so it seems that pes 2010 has a life of its own, almost every time i boot it up its slower or faster, same settings

The Retro-PES Goal of the Week is back!

@MafiaMurderBag - l
@mattmid
@miguelfcp - l
@jajabinx35 - lll

Congratulations @jajabiinx35, this week's winner! Here's the (awesome) goal:

As promised, you'll be delivered autographed nude pictures of Espimas via PM. The Goal of the Week sure knows how to give awesome prizes, don't it?

Thanks to everyone who participated, maybe next week will be your week. Thanks to the voters as well.

///////
Wow, thanks. - Although I doubt I can do that again. - As I was winning the game, I decided to shoot for fun, didn't expect it to swerve and go into the back of the net!

Was playing a bit of PES 2011 for the Wii and man, that's a pretty good game of football. Shame about the platform.

:OT:

Non-political I promise. Does anyone else think that massive baby blimb on the telly would make a great PES centre-forward ?

Gives a whole new meaning to "belt it long to the big lad".

:THINK::THINK::THINK:

Alright I ditched 2010, lets say a sequence with the "same ball" that not goes out of play, the sluggishness can creep in and out again its ridiculous, not even on the ball when you can argue its due to player stats or whatever, simple short passes everything is affected, must be an engine thing of that game, I do not remember it like this and maybe W10 plays a role here as well but why the freshly installed 2009 behaves normally and constantly consistently then, it should be pretty similar, they just overdid themselves with 2010, 09 was mainly about fixing 08 (NextGen), the jump to 10 was too much for the engine to handle or something, should have started with 09 it right away here.

2010 is not that good anyway, what I like better so far on 2009:

- the changeovers and corners for example are more weighty and faster, 10 felt weird
- the R2 implementation and dribbling is more direct
- com sliding tackle no weird bugs (leads to better referee too and more fouls)
- one can set up players to go forward on corners :OH::SHOCK::WOOT:

Last edited:
@MafiaMurderBag What an epic final. Chelsea putting all that pressure, and then Porto sneaking one in with a wonder strike. Then Chelsea regaining dominance! That is PES classic at its best.
Thanks, That's called PES Magic.

Was playing a bit of PES 2011 for the Wii and man, that's a pretty good game of football. Shame about the platform.
Interesting, I know that the 2013 Wii version is essentially a hybrid of the PS2 PES and the Wii's motion controls with the nunchucks. I saw a video of PES 2013 Wii on Youtube and i really liked the way it looked, Shame there seems to be no way to simply play with a controller on Dolphin.

Alright I ditched 2010, lets say a sequence with the "same ball" that not goes out of play, the sluggishness can creep in and out again its ridiculous, not even on the ball when you can argue its due to player stats or whatever, simple short passes everything is affected, must be an engine thing of that game, I do not remember it like this and maybe W10 plays a role here as well but why the freshly installed 2009 behaves normally and constantly then, it should be pretty similar, they just overdid themselves with 2010, 09 was mainly about fixing 08 (NextGen), the jump to 10 was too much for the engine to handle or something, should have started with 09 it right away here.

2010 is not that good anyway, what I like better so far on 2009:

- the changeovers and corners for example are more weighty and faster, 10 felt weird
- the R2 implementation and dribbling is more direct
- com sliding tackle no weird bugs (leads to better referee too and more fouls)
- one can set up players to go forward on corners :OH::SHOCK::WOOT:
PES 2010 isn't the easiest of Retro PES games to get into but i quite enjoyed what i played of it. It's definately got a slower, heavier feel to it which contrasts the slight faster and more accessible '08 & '09 installments.

It's interesting with Konami, It's almost as if they alternate the direction they go in with each title?

In simple terms (And I know this isn't exactly very analytical)...

PES 5 - Slower
PES 6 - Faster
2008 - Slower
2009 - Faster
2010 - Slower
2011 - Faster (Start of the modernized controls era)
2012 - Slower
2013 - Faster (best amalgamation of 11 & 12)
2014 - Slower (Having the balls to commit to an ambitious inertia and sim direction)

Does anyone else agree? PES 2008 for example isn't strictly a sim but it IS slower and weightier than PES 6 and PES 2009 seems to be more about accessible, responsive fun. Then with PES 2010 not only did they want to go back to a slower, heavier feel that was about respecting possession of the ball and the timing of runs again rather then mindlessly passing and sprinting but they wanted to reflect the more mature tone of football in it's art direction more or less revamping it with better player faces and improved (Night time games looked too dark and the pitch was neon green) lighting.

It's kind of fascinating, It's like Konami offset each release each year, this doesn't seem coincidental either, Maybe it's just another one of those mysteries of a decade gone by at Konami headquarters in the Seabass era. Who knows, did he have some kind of running handshake agreement with his understudy that they take it in turns, 1 year they make Seabass' sim and the next they make a traditional game?

Or am i just being a quack today?

Ye its like they nailed it with PES3 and they knew it..., we re done boys, lets make something new and different each year to change things up a bit, and the rollercoaster started... :D

or the theory about two different teams or sub sections could fit this as well.

There are no black transition screens on fast free kicks and throw ins btw on both 010 and 09 :)), I remember this pissed me of on some of the newer games..baffling stuff really:THINK:

@MafiaMurderBag I think it's the 'let's take out this really good part and add something bad' and 'let's remove that bit that doesn't work well and add in this really good new feature' End result there's something new that really works while something much loved has been buggered!

@WhoAteMeDinner If Big Sam had a job he'd have given it a 5 year contract by now.

In other news, have you seen the plans FIFA have for the Club World Cup? Firstly they are playing it in Qatar in 2019 and 2020 to 'test' the new stadiums (don't be cynical ;) ) Then they plan to shelve the current format and have a 24 teams Club World Cup once every four years in the summer in place of the Confederations Cup. So there you have it. A 48 team world cup in 2026 that if it isn't already completely devalued by the increase will then become secondary to the 'big boys' club world cup.

Referees in PES aren't even tied to logic to begin with.
Speaking of which, here's an idea for a ground breaking feature, yellow cards to be awarded after advantage has been given don't get forgotten in case of a goal or half time whistle
Hey my old buddy, how's things ?

Those were for the Old Skool PES crew, when anything was possible when you applied natural vision. Would love to see goals scored from that distance. Post away.

Last edited:
Love this, my keeper does a 'Babe Ruth' points to the corner he is going to dive to play mind games with the CPU penalty kick taker. And sure as shit, he pulls off the save in the most arrogant, cheeky fashion.

BTW. Babe Ruth, the Baseball Hall of Famer was renowned for pointing to the bleachers before he swing the bat, and he pulled it off so many times with a Home Run.

Back
Top Bottom