The Retro-PES Corner

@Special4988: Hmmm, I don't know about that...what I used to do was to have a folder on my PC with the many different OFs for PSP PES and then I'd transfer the one I wanted via USB to the PSP.

@MafiaMurderBag , in terms of historic goals and a thousand near misses, rebounds off the woodwork and outrageous COM keeper saves. PES 3 is yet again renowned for the hyper-sensitive shooting controls and almost impossible to score from volleys.

And yet, Arellano would score one flying volley or sideways scissors kick goal a season and make it look simple...

:LOVE::LOVE::LOVE:
From the very little i've played of PES 3 so far the game has been amazing in terms of ball physics and the keepers. I feel like making a highlight package of the saves alone, it would be just as entertaining as a great goals one. PES 2011 also has this same culture of interesting physics, unpredictable deflections and stunning reflexes by the keepers when you were otherwise ready drop the controller into your lap and admit defeat and prepare for a goal celebration from the COM.

@MadbaLL I'm not sure how good your memory of PES 2008 modding is but do you remember what the consensus on editing stadiums was for that game, Wishful thinking but was it possible to convert PES 6 stadiums to PES 2008 format?

Finding anything on PES 2008 editing discussion via google is near impossible let alone any decent tools. Seeing screenshots of patched stadiums they didn't look very high quality either so i wondered if the community built them out of reused PES 6 assets or something.

---
1st Leg of the Champions League Semi Final is up - I'll post the 2nd Leg tomorrow night and the Final on Saturday.

We are down to the final four. Underdogs Porto host the best club in the world, Barcelona while their former manager Jose Mourinho, overlooks Chelsea's battle with last years runners up, The mighty AC Milan.

@MafiaMurderBag , keep playing at the old PES 3 and as you said, the ball physics just get more interesting all the time. I would say almost madness at times when a blocked shot ricochets around like a super ball (remember those multi-coloured orbs of mayhem @mattmid , ?), and off two or three COM players and lands nicely at your star striker's twinkle toes.

And here is the thing for all more recent PES players, PES 3 has max screen resolution of 480 or 540 pixels for a reason I am certain. In 2003, they could have made the resolution higher with ease, but that would have impacted the gameplay speed and ball physics unique to this game.

Hi there, im looking for the Winning eleven 5 and Winning eleven 6 promotional videos made by Konami. like this one that was made for we10
does anyone have it on your old files? i cant find it on google or youtube.

thank you very much

Hi there, im looking for the Winning eleven 5 and Winning eleven 6 promotional videos made by Konami. like this one that was made for we10

thank you very much
Really no idea but just remember the peak of pes as a game but also as a marketing product, with promotion that really hyped you.
The pes5 tv commercial which played also in Greek TV, this with Henry, Terry and a guy cutting the grass. Probably the pinnacle of pes franchise.

recently playing pes 2008 and 2009 (both pc). from this time perspective, they were good games.

I'm having my annual, "I hate every football game" period, so I've been bouncing between a wide array of games. I played a lot of FIFA 19 this year, but that grew frustrating and stale (every patch was a bit worse than the previous one). As always, I returned to the classics; PS2 era PES. I'm still enjoying myself a lot and even started a co-op ML in PES 5, but I wanted something a bit more "fresh" on the side. I hadn't played PES 2008/2009 in well over a decade so I figured, why not. To be honest, they're a lot better than I remember. Pleasantly surprised! I must say, I do love how PES 2008 feels.

Side note, did PES 2010 always have such atrocious input delay (on PC)? I vaguely remember it being an issue at the time, but I'm finding it literally unplayable as my inputs don't register half the time. It's a shame, I really enjoyed the shot variety in 2010.

@Flipper the Priest: I always use Streamable, very easy to utilize, you don't even need an account to upload videos.

For anyone who hasn't voted yet, you can do so until Friday; over the weekend the voting closes and the winner will be announced!

@MafiaMurderBag:
I'm surprised that Porto got away with a draw there, and it doesn't even look that shocking of a result given how the game seems to have played out! Well, obviously I still predict a beating in Camp Nou for the 2nd leg...
...and believe it or not, your series has been so good that I'm actually a bit nervous for the 2nd leg! :DD

Decided to not further play the WE9LE ML here, finished second in D2 and lost the cup final with Real Betis on 5*, what pisses me of is the foul - card ratio which is basically non existent, there are no yellow cards :LOL:, the ref is also biased as !

So its back to PES 4 and 3, not sure which one yet..

thank you very much

Wārudo sakkā uining uirebun 10...

For WE5 and WE6, those videos are nowhere to be found. I fondly remember the WE6 Japanese trailer showcasing for the first time in videogame history Beckham's signature free-kick style.

Wow, thanks for this, I've never seen this one before. Seems like Konami knew how to make decent gameplay trailers after all, before we got the bizarre fragmented ones much later on before Weedens stepped in. That's a good old fashioned Japanese trailer though, pure gameplay spliced together to cause sensory overload but in a primitive internet land & pre social media, there'd been enough to pause and analyse every last detail like we all did in the good old days.

Also, at 1:29 in the trailer, I don't think i've ever seen that flick in the game that Ronaldinho pulls off?

Really no idea but just remember the peak of pes as a game but also as a marketing product, with promotion that really hyped you.
The pes5 tv commercial which played also in Greek TV, this with Henry, Terry and a guy cutting the grass. Probably the pinnacle of pes franchise.
Yeah that was the first real big budget marketing campaign for PES, That one really got me really nostalgic. Being 15 years old at the time, this was the most excited i remember ever being for PES. It was all i could think about leading up to release and you still had to wait until you finally had the full game on day 1 to find out what goodies lay in store in edit mode, who got new faces and what kit templates there were.

After watching that trailer it auto played the PES 6 trailer for the Xbox 360. Not quite the cinematic masterpiece the PES 5 trailer was and there's some pretty poor CG too, Interesting they reverted to fake kits for the trailer as Terry & Adriano played for 2 licensed teams in the game, England & Inter. So surely from a marketing standpoint you'd want to establish you do have licensed strips in the game in some capacity.

Also notable that they depict the famously left footed Adriano shooting with his damn right foot. Remember when Ashley Cole infamously hit a very accurate long pass with his right foot in the PES 2012 trailer?

Side note, did PES 2010 always have such atrocious input delay (on PC)? I vaguely remember it being an issue at the time, but I'm finding it literally unplayable as my inputs don't register half the time. It's a shame, I really enjoyed the shot variety in 2010.
The input delay was notable on consoles, I think they patched it on PC though as i played it a couple of weeks ago and didn't notice any. PES 2010 is a really interesting game and decent swansong to the PS3/PS2 hybrid engine. The only thing i didn't enjoy about it was the dribbling. Some players do this horrible 90 degree shuffle, I don't know how best to describe it but you probably know what i'm talking about. Love the graphics and the art style of the game.

@Flipper the Priest: I always use Streamable, very easy to utilize, you don't even need an account to upload videos.

For anyone who hasn't voted yet, you can do so until Friday; over the weekend the voting closes and the winner will be announced!

@MafiaMurderBag:
I'm surprised that Porto got away with a draw there, and it doesn't even look that shocking of a result given how the game seems to have played out! Well, obviously I still predict a beating in Camp Nou for the 2nd leg...
...and believe it or not, your series has been so good that I'm actually a bit nervous for the 2nd leg! :DD
Yeah those were to very cautious 1st legs, The pressure of the semi finals were certainly on for all four teams neither seemed to want to take too much unnecessary risk before the 2nd leg, which will go live tonight at 7pm, I'll link it here when it does!
Also i don't think i recall the AI scoring so many free kicks on a PES since PES 5? I didn't really concede many from the COM if any during my time with PES 6 let alone score any myself and it's not really until PES 2018/2019 that they seemed to have really simplified them that scored and conceded so many it's almost like i was surprised if one doesn't go in.

At least on PES 5 the frequency was just right where it really did feel unpredictable. You actually respected the free kick if it was in a dangerous position whereas on some of the later games, you become blasé towards them because you knew the AI had no chance of bringing the ball up and down over the wall. Probably more of a testament to PES 5's ball physics.

The input delay was notable on consoles, I think they patched it on PC though as i played it a couple of weeks ago and didn't notice any. PES 2010 is a really interesting game and decent swansong to the PS3/PS2 hybrid engine. The only thing i didn't enjoy about it was the dribbling. Some players do this horrible 90 degree shuffle, I don't know how best to describe it but you probably know what i'm talking about. Love the graphics and the art style of the game.

I had forgotten to apply the official patches, hence the lag. Thanks for reminding me! I also 100% agree with the dribbling. Do you mean the right-angle turns? They're very sharp and not very subtle. It's a step backwards from 2008/2009 in that regard. The shooting still feels supreme, however. Bent one in with Van Persie from outside the box and his animation, the ball speed, the trajectory, all felt very satisfying (the type of satisfaction that's nowhere to be found in modern PES games).

I've said it for years and it's truly frustrating that older PES games have a lot more animation variety when it comes to scoring compared to their modern counterparts.

EDIT: Totally forgot they removed the fake shot in 2010. Why... just why.

Last edited:
I had forgotten to apply the official patches, hence the lag. Thanks for reminding me! I also 100% agree with the dribbling. Do you mean the right-angle turns? They're very sharp and not very subtle. It's a step backwards from 2008/2009 in that regard. The shooting still feels supreme, however. Bent one in with Van Persie from outside the box and his animation, the ball speed, the trajectory, all felt very satisfying (the type of satisfaction that's nowhere to be found in modern PES games).

I've said it for years and it's truly frustrating that older PES games have a lot more animation variety when it comes to scoring compared to their modern counterparts.

EDIT: Totally forgot they removed the fake shot in 2010. Why... just why.
The shooting does feel very punchy and weighty on PES 2010, I'll share a couple of my favs i posted a few months ago. There's some nice variation with the animations. The AI is pretty decent too.

The dribbling is the only weak point on PES 2010, compared to PES 2008 which still has it's impressive moments. This was the AI against me...

And oh my god why did they remove that shot feint in PES 2010??? I remember the feedback on forums was the stuff of fury and bewilderment. And that was that, you had to put up with that omission for an entire year too!

Wow, thanks for this, I've never seen this one before. Seems like Konami knew how to make decent gameplay trailers after all, before we got the bizarre fragmented ones much later on before Weedens stepped in. That's a good old fashioned Japanese trailer though, pure gameplay spliced together to cause sensory overload but in a primitive internet land & pre social media, there'd been enough to pause and analyse every last detail like we all did in the good old days.

Also, at 1:29 in the trailer, I don't think i've ever seen that flick in the game that Ronaldinho pulls off?

Yeah that was the first real big budget marketing campaign for PES, That one really got me really nostalgic. Being 15 years old at the time, this was the most excited i remember ever being for PES. It was all i could think about leading up to release and you still had to wait until you finally had the full game on day 1 to find out what goodies lay in store in edit mode, who got new faces and what kit templates there were.

After watching that trailer it auto played the PES 6 trailer for the Xbox 360. Not quite the cinematic masterpiece the PES 5 trailer was and there's some pretty poor CG too, Interesting they reverted to fake kits for the trailer as Terry & Adriano played for 2 licensed teams in the game, England & Inter. So surely from a marketing standpoint you'd want to establish you do have licensed strips in the game in some capacity.

Also notable that they depict the famously left footed Adriano shooting with his damn right foot. Remember when Ashley Cole infamously hit a very accurate long pass with his right foot in the PES 2012 trailer?

Yeah those were to very cautious 1st legs, The pressure of the semi finals were certainly on for all four teams neither seemed to want to take too much unnecessary risk before the 2nd leg, which will go live tonight at 7pm, I'll link it here when it does!
Also i don't think i recall the AI scoring so many free kicks on a PES since PES 5? I didn't really concede many from the COM if any during my time with PES 6 let alone score any myself and it's not really until PES 2018/2019 that they seemed to have really simplified them that scored and conceded so many it's almost like i was surprised if one doesn't go in.

At least on PES 5 the frequency was just right where it really did feel unpredictable. You actually respected the free kick if it was in a dangerous position whereas on some of the later games, you become blasé towards them because you knew the AI had no chance of bringing the ball up and down over the wall. Probably more of a testament to PES 5's ball physics.

The game in which I scored it was great for free kicks. NAC Breda vs CSKA Moscow. Van Hooijdonk and Daniel Carvalho trading strikes from all distances. Really showed the full gamut of physics and animation.

The game went to penalties. If only the penalties lived up to the free kicks...

@MafiaMurderBag:

Cheers man:

I smell Retro-PES Goal of the (next) Week there! :PIRATE:

I'm sorry @MafiaMurderBag, but I've already saw part of your new video on r/WEPES and had to come here to say this:
POOOOOOOOOORRTOOOOOOOO :BSCARF::BSCARF::BSCARF::BSCARF:
What is this wizardry, young Hugo Almeida scoring twice on a CL semifinal against Barcelona...in Camp Nou?? I can't believe my eyes. We are going to win this!!!

@MafiaMurderBag been enjoying the videos on your twitter bro, great nostalgia. I actually just picked up 2011 on the pc because I don't have my old ps3 where I'm living at the moment, but all the option files I come across have had the links taken down.

You mind sharing a link or source to the one you have in your PES2011 clips? Would really appreciate it

I smell Retro-PES Goal of the (next) Week there! :PIRATE:

I'm sorry @MafiaMurderBag, but I've already saw part of your new video on r/WEPES and had to come here to say this:
POOOOOOOOOORRTOOOOOOOO :BSCARF::BSCARF::BSCARF::BSCARF:
What is this wizardry, young Hugo Almeida scoring twice on a CL semifinal against Barcelona...in Camp Nou?? I can't believe my eyes. We are going to win this!!!
So is the goal of the week Sunday to Sunday? If so then i'll leave this weeks submission below :)

Seeing as they're both basically identical, can we just class that as 1 goal?

In regards to the Semi Final, Second Leg...
Fairytail stuff and it's the amazing thing about these classic games, The tournaments just tell their own stories. Porto, Rank outsiders once again, trying to figure out how to adjust to life without Mourinho and the exodus of players that left after the 2004 triumph, Make it to the final to face the special one who will try to make good on his promise that he will replicate his Midas touch with his shiny new Chelsea side.

@MafiaMurderBag been enjoying the videos on your twitter bro, great nostalgia. I actually just picked up 2011 on the pc because I don't have my old ps3 where I'm living at the moment, but all the option files I come across have had the links taken down.

You mind sharing a link or source to the one you have in your PES2011 clips? Would really appreciate it
Thanks, For the PC patches for last gen PES games, try this website. Here's the last and most complete PESEdit patch for PES 2011. It's actually for the upcoming 11/12 season and not the 10/11 season the game would have been released during, but it's got the most faces, players, bells & whistles.

https://www.pesnewupdate.com/2018/07/pes-2011-peseditcom-2011-patch-2011.html

Now that is a bloody beauty!

One of those where it all fell into place. Obviously Van Hooijdonk has the goods, but even then I knew I'd got it right on the direction and power gauge and it had a chance. And then it sailed over the wall. And the rest is recorded history.

The CPU almost scored one as good just moments later, tipped onto the post.

I reckon PES5 has surpassed 4 to second place in my PES table. Been playing it on the back of your CL clips and being inspired by your efforts and that patch! It's frustrating, though, as my hardware seems to struggle with it whereas it doesn't with PES3. It's not the hardware, necessarily, as I've read about similar issues but I'm totally flummoxed by the steps required to fix/mitigate the stuttering.

The Van Hooijdonk run up is probably my favourite ever.. brings me back at my first ML ever with Pes 3 (or maybe it was WE7, can't say for sure), back in 15-16 years ago or something, when japanese genius Nakamura was my first signing, and that was the run up for his marvellous FKs as well..

Can't get much more Retro Pes than this :D

@Madmac79: Speaking of which, I had a kind of International League save going on with Japan in PES4 and Nakamura's free kicks, be it long or short ones, are just amazing. It's not just the unique run up, but the ball trajectory is one of a kind really. Even a guy like me, a classic FK noob in PES, was able to be a threat on that regard :DD

@MafiaMurderBag: Usually we had people posting their Goal of the Week submissions from Monday to Friday and then over the weekend we'd vote - then the winner would be announced Sunday night, rinse and repeat.
This time around, I don't know whether we'll be able to get a lot of people voting with that voting-on-weekends system. Anyway, since we're restarting the challenge I decided to give a full week for everyone to choose their favourites.

Perhaps we should have a dedicated thread for the competition. It'd be easier to keep track of both the submissions and the votes; also we'd have a first page of the thread containing the rules of the challenge itself.
What do you guys think?

@Madmac79: Speaking of which, I had a kind of International League save going on with Japan in PES4 and Nakamura's free kicks, be it long or short ones, are just amazing.
Playing as Japan on PES 4 & 5 was a guilty pleasure of mine due to the sheer authenticty, the love letter the devs wrote in the form of their faithfully recreated appearances, Their stats having greater disparity between them due to being a fairly mediocre team and allowing them to have even more individuality, especially in the case of Nakamura, Inamoto & now underpants model, Nagata.

I miss those players, they all retired from the national team within a couple of years of those games if i remember correctly. Can't wait to be reuinted with them in my WC 06 playthrough. As with these games the best way to enjoy them is with the squads the time period of the released title is based. It's truly like stepping into a time capsule.

Perhaps we should have a dedicated thread for the competition. It'd be easier to keep track of both the submissions and the votes; also we'd have a first page of the thread containing the rules of the challenge itself.
What do you guys think?

giphy.gif

Also just discovered this today, Nice little pop quiz on the classic games, I thought i was gonna breeze through this but some of those questions caught me out! Konami sure did get very creative and obscure with the fake team & player names as the series grew. Supposed simply swapping a couple of letters around wasn't going to suffice as parties became more & more aware of copyright laws and their rights.

@MafiaMurderBag: What a great find there. I missed the Batistuta question...
The biggest PES fan ever should be able to name the 23 Oranges of the Netherlands' National Team in PES2 (was it PES2 or PES1?), now that's a hardcore challenge! :TWIST:

The stats disparity of Japan's NT is truly something else. You'd see combinations of stats that you don't see anywhere else, like Inamoto having shockingly low dribble speed, or Tsuboi's top speed but low stamina...and for as we know that retro-PES games really nailed the influence of stats on the gameplay, these unique statsheets led to that elusive feeling of player individuality.

@MafiaMurderBag: What a great find there. I missed the Batistuta question...
The biggest PES fan ever should be able to name the 23 Oranges of the Netherlands' National Team in PES2 (was it PES2 or PES1?), now that's a hardcore challenge! :TWIST:

The stats disparity of Japan's NT is truly something else. You'd see combinations of stats that you don't see anywhere else, like Inamoto having shockingly low dribble speed, or Tsuboi's top speed but low stamina...and for as we know that retro-PES games really nailed the influence of stats on the gameplay, these unique statsheets led to that elusive feeling of player individuality.
Haha well, if you'd have asked me 13 years ago i could've told you most of the fake names for players and clubs because

1. Being a kid you have a greater retention for memory
  2. I had to manually edit all those player names myself due to not having the facility to import an option file yet (That came with PES 5 and the famous PES Fan option file. I felt like a hacking genius when i figured out how to import that to my memory card in 2005!)
Well what make the stats so influential & instrumental is that their made with the limitations of the game engine in mind. It really is genius how Konami took mechanics that aren't truly free in a sense and yet still created the illusion of individuality and footballer influence to create this sense of diversity and preference while playing.

The player ID, stats influence and individuality truly didn't start becoming a challenge for the devs until the freedom of the games mechanics started evolving, especially in regards to passing. It's why a common complaint of modern football games is that apart from trivial pace, most players feel the same and for most part, accomplish the same things.

@MafiaMurderBag That's interesting about stats and how there seems to be so much player individuality in the older PES games. How is passing stats and traits different than the newer PES games?

Back
Top Bottom