The Retro-PES Corner

Well at least there's a Premier League but and maybe other patches would've had A Bundesliga, but i didn't play PES 2008 on PC back in the day so i can't really remember what the vitality of the editing community was like, I imagine from what i've seen that it wasn't great, there doesn't seem to be much support for PES 2008 at all. Most of the work from creators seems to be lost to the sands of time as i don't think many people probably imagined some of us would be playing these annual installments 10 years later. People have only just started the preservation efforts for PES 5 & 6 Patches now and some for PES 2010-2014.

I think that Scoreboard bug seems to be an issue with resolution. We're playing at a much higher resolution then the game supported in 2008 or what patch makers would've been using back then. It's another faucet of the way's in which these games were made and technology has evolved.

PES 3 still has frame rate and resolution issues now matter how powerful your PC is in 2019, It just wasn't verywell optimised and i think Konami didn't have the experience with the PC version they later developed.

well, i remember because i helped e.v.o.l.u.t.i.o.n. patch team with option file ;)

this one should've had bundesliga already, since many patches in november 2007 had it. the one i posted eariler is with bundesliga.

scoreboard and menu issues are just lazyness... game already supported 16:9 aspect ratio but it seams author didn't bother to make it work with all resolutions supported.

regarding pes3, i don't have any frame rate issues with that game on win7 or win8.1. only win10 has issues with it, like with all other older games. that's why i'm still on win7.

Thanks all. There's a lot more to this mod. I'm looking to make a 5 part release which works by your progression in winning the champions league. I'll explain in time in the thread I've created

Well after almost a year away I am back playing PES 2008 on PSP. Started a new Master League with Tottenham Spurs.

2 Games in

0-0
0-0

We need Harry Kane...
Nice. Did you pick the mode where you have the real squad, or master league default players? One thing I really enjoy is building up the team as you progress

Nice. Did you pick the mode where you have the real squad, or master league default players? One thing I really enjoy is building up the team as you progress

I am using the real squad this time. The team is poor enough that there is plenty of rebuilding to be done!! I play as fixed player, so only control 1 player, (currently going with Bale).

Defense seems rock solid so far with Woodgate and Dawson in the middle, but their true test is up next against Chelsea.

Don't know whether we're still doing a goal of the week or not but i'd like to submit the below courtesy of King Henry from the Last 16 1st Leg tie against Milan...

Also, here's episode 5, It's the 2nd Leg of the Round of 16 :PP

Juventus and Barcelona may have 1 foot in the Quarter Finals but can current European Champions Liverpool, Runners up AC Milan turn their aggregate losses around? Can Henry and Ronaldinho secure that top scorers spot? Find out in the Last 16, 2nd Leg!

@MafiaMurderBag: Yesterday I scored a beauty with Gutierrez on my PES08 PS2 ML, thought of recording it to post here for the Goal of the Week but since no one was posting any goals, I ended up not sharing it. It'd be cool if we could have (as we had before) at least 3-4 goal submissions per week by different users. Do we have to offer Espimas' nude selfies to entice more people to participate?

@jajabinx35: Spectacular trailer! :WORSHIP: Keep up the amazing work.

@MafiaMurderBag
That was a close (and rather lucky) one for Porto, Werder Bremen should've won that match admittedly...Rosenborg is the ultimate underdog on your simulation but still I predict Porto will go through, and ultimately will be trashed in the semifinals :DD

@MafiaMurderBag: Yesterday I scored a beauty with Gutierrez on my PES08 PS2 ML, thought of recording it to post here for the Goal of the Week but since no one was posting any goals, I ended up not sharing it. It'd be cool if we could have (as we had before) at least 3-4 goal submissions per week by different users. Do we have to offer Espimas' nude selfies to entice more people to participate?
Ah that's a shame, Did you record it and not share it or did you not record it at all?

I think once a couple of us get the ball rolling, more people will follow suit.

@MafiaMurderBag
That was a close (and rather lucky) one for Porto, Werder Bremen should've won that match admittedly...Rosenborg is the ultimate underdog on your simulation but still I predict Porto will go through, and ultimately will be trashed in the semifinals :DD

Yes, Rosenborg are walking the line between "We're just happy to make up the numbers" and "Hey, remember Greece & Porto?" Alemeida's goal through the legs of the defender on the line was both a classical PES comedy moment and a cruel way to exit as far as what Werder had achieved.

These tournaments have a been a fantastic experience for me as a player and a remarkable way to truly appreciate the depth and dynamics of the classic games, You just witness more variety in ML or Competitions in the long haul then you do in the occasional exhibition games. I'm always astounded at the variety of goals i see per game especially from the CPU.

One the bigger take aways from Retro PES has been how as the player, the satisfaction not only comes from how little hand holding the game does for you but in the way when you time a shot or a pass or cross that accomplishes something or leads to a goal, It's satisfying because it's usually exactly the way you wanted your player to enact it.

A lot of the times on PES 2019, before i started playing manually, you'd shoot for example and the power and the trajectory does match up with what you pressed or your players body positioning at all, yet when it goes in there's this anti climatic feeling because not only was the animation jarring but it's not actually the way you wanted it to happen. It's just an unsatisfying coincidence.

@MafiaMurderBag: I didn't even record the goal. You might be right, at least that worked the last time around.

I played a couple of PES5 matches last weekend on a ML save and you're definitely right, the game plays so much better on a competitive environment rather than on exhibition mode - PES6 is a lot like this as well. I actually had trouble stopping the attacking CPU of PES5, even against a mediocre Esportiva (Portugal's Sporting), which I was not at all expecting, as they were competently and patiently building up play and were always proactive when it comes to creating chances.

I don't doubt your finding this retro-PES experience to be as good as that. My demand as a player is to play a sports game that holds up well for as long as I wish to play it, a game that regardless of graphics, animations, licenses and whatnot, just works as a whole. And because it works, you keep coming back to it, thirsty for more, because whatever the gameplay does, it does well. For me, many retro-PES games give me that feeling.

A little retro video from a half time team talk at Leyton Orient in the 1990's that has an unintentionally hilarious comment near the end. Maybe today's player's need a bit of this sometimes :)

A quick heads up that there's a lot of swearing in it in case you're somewhere public

Hello @cosmo , nice to meet you. One wonders what evil lord FIFA are in disguise ?

:OT:
I ask this as FIFA and Qatar 2022 yesterday announced that the 2022 Great Footballer Bake Off is not to be expanded to 48 teams, citing political and logistical problems.

Interesting reason that as it is believed that as many as 4000 migrant workers from across the south asia region will likely have died while constructing these stadiums of greed in the desert.

So anyone watching the Bake Off in three years time, don't just look out for players expiring of heat stroke on the pitch. Look as well for bones and skulls protruding from underneath the turf.

@WhoAteMeDinner Their greed knows no bounds does it? UEFA and FIFA. The farce of the Europa League (how can it be a league when it's a cup?) where we have two clubs who are 20 miles apart flying 3000 miles to play each other. (Not that they can complain, they'll be doing exactly the same thing in pre season to ensure the Asian/American shirt sales keep coming.) 6000 tickets for each club in a capacity of 68k, not that they can sell them as it apparently will cost about £2000 in flights to get there, with no direct flight from here to Baku. Still at least the freeloaders will have plenty of legroom.

Then you have this drive for 48 teams in the World Cup. Seriously? Talk about completely devaluing the competition. Anything to ensure a 'big' nation doesn't miss out. Taking the Euros up to 24 is a complete joke as well, there's only what 52/53 countries in qualifying?

Fans celebrating their team finishing fourth in the league because it means they qualify for the ultimate cash cow. Celebrating finishing fourth as if you've won something? Really? But never mind because with all that cash it'll give them a chance to watch players who earn more in a week than they'll likely earn in 5-10 years, more in some cases.

Football has sold its soul.

Without wanting to make @Chris Davies life difficult. I tried to keep my last post as non-politically tilted as much as possible. And will try to keep it that way as all of the despicable conduct of FIFA, UEFA, CONMEBOL and CONCACAF and the rest I missed out is motivated only by money. Whether the Europe League final is in central Asia or the "Champions League" final has no champions in it or the Copa America has non-south American participants is just grist to the mill of the global moneymen elite that disguise themselves thinly as football federation officials.

@mattmid , it only saddens us further I am sure you will agree that Chelsea and Arsenal fans did have neither the solidarity and maybe not the required outrage to boycott the Baku balls up completely.

And finally, to those football fans who may be looking forward to World Cup 2026, remember it will have 48 teams, will be totally ignored by two of the three host countries and be referred to as "saccar" all the time and called a little girls game by the jocks. Can Mexico generate all the genuine football passion on their the own ?

I am now thinking football started to stray from the true path back in 1950 when the World Cup was expanded from eight to sixteen teams for.......

MONEY......:COAT::COAT::COAT:

Last edited:
@WhoAteMeDinner Not to mention the driving force behind winning the Europe League for Arsenal is not to win a cup but to qualify for the champions league! Surely the ultimate thing for a fan should be to see his team win a League/Cup? I'm not a fan of the Checkatrade due to the inclusion of the Premier/Champ u23 teams, particularly when the Lge 1/2 teams have to play at least half of the side who has played the last game and get fined if they don't. So the premise is to give young English players in the Prem/Champ clubs 'men's' matches rather than u23 games but the Lge 1/2 teams can't do the same with theirs.

Anyway suffice to say it turned out to be one of the best days out at football I've ever had, better than the FA Cup final when we were big favourites and playing with a team of internationals. I came away thinking that's why I go to football, for days like that. All those defeats you watch, the awful performances, away games of old, getting soaked in an uncovered stand, getting beaten 3-0 and a 150 mile drive home to come. Days like that final are the reason you do it and make it all worth while.

That and winning D2 in the Master League :DD

@mattmid, and a staggering 85,000 at the Football League Trophy final on top of Portsmouth's victory back in March.

But for me, a Master League D2 Cup trophy with mostly the default boys is still king....
:KING::KING::KING:

Last edited:
@mattmid, and a staggering 85,000 at the Football League Trophy final on top of Portsmouth's victory back in March.

But for me, a Master League D2 Cup trophy with mostly the default boys is still king....
:KING::KING::KING:

I have yet to win the Cup when in D2! At least if I ever did I can't remember it, which I'm sure I would have done. That last go that I posted here I didn't even win a single cup match in 7 seasons before promotion :LOL::NO:

im back to pes, did not play in general, my last comment was late last year, figured lets give we9le another go, last time i ended up with pes 6 but the cheating was unbearable ..

the difficulty needs to come from one or two strong teams in each league, so that there is atleast a competition by points, thats regarding pes 5 being rather poor in the attacking AI department, so the main thing to do is to actually edit/tweak some teams, i think it can be done

the goal is to have rather stress free matches themselves (which we9le is good at), and the diff. coming from the com actually "cheating" vs the others :D (well minus the few games i need to play them:THINK:), they just need to win consistently, if the league title is a challenge im happy, win-win

I have yet to win the Cup when in D2! At least if I ever did I can't remember it, which I'm sure I would have done. That last go that I posted here I didn't even win a single cup match in 7 seasons before promotion :LOL::NO:

@mattmid , can well believe that. The Division One and Two Cups back in the old games always had COM teams with ramped up gameplay. They actually seemed to play harder. I think apart from one Division Two Cup win in PES 6. I may have won another in PES 2 years and years back.

Arellano won it in reality though, not me......

:DD:DD:DD

@mattmid , can well believe that. The Division One and Two Cups back in the old games always had COM teams with ramped up gameplay. They actually seemed to play harder. I think apart from one Division Two Cup win in PES 6. I may have won another in PES 2 years and years back.

Arellano won it in reality though, not me......

:DD:DD:DD
The one and only most stable factor in every version, from pes 3 until 19 , is the coursed first Cup match. It is either loose it by any means or win it and conquer the universe!!! :P

Back
Top Bottom