The Retro-PES Corner

Out of curiosity, is it still related to the original 'Tennis Elbow' game?
I used to remember Tennis Elbow '98 and I'm wondering whether it's the same series (with the same developers) or not.

Yes, still same game, same developer :) still awesome realistic gameplay and still ugly graphic :)

Wow, I finaly installed PES 2013 for Wii to my computer.
Wow, Thanks for sharing, i had no idea this existed, looks like the closest thing to a remastered PES 6! I'll give this a download and try it at some point this week, couple of questions;

1. Does it include all the licensed LaLiga stadiums present in the PS3/PC version?

2. Can this be played with a controller alone? I remember when these PES games got announced on the Wii years ago and it had that gimmicky motion controls and nunchuck bullshit that turned me off

I think all this GTA nostalgia has given me good reason to play GTA again. As you all know I have a Playstation 2 and it is backwards compatible with old Playstation 1 games.

Now where did I park my Lamborghini Countgash and my Ferrari Testicle the last time I played ?
:COAT::COAT::COAT:
You're not the only one getting GTA nostalgia, i've been on the fence about picking up the PS2 trilogy on either PS4 (So i can play on my TV on my couch) or on PC (So i can mod it and play with improved textures and HUD). Also because they had great stories, voice acting and fun missions and cutscenes and i'd like to introduce the missus to these classic games as she's only played GTA V, which she did enjoy.

@MafiaMurderBag I am not really sure that there are all stadiums, I think there is only about 20 in total. I also noticed that there is no Europa League in ML, only Champions League.

I play this with Xbox controller for PC, it is a bit tricky to set up controls but once you finish it it's same like playing that on PC or PS/Xbox.

I noticed that PES 2014 was lastest release of PES for PS2 so maybe that will be a last rematred PES 6 version out there :)

Wow, Thanks for sharing, i had no idea this existed, looks like the closest thing to a remastered PES 6! I'll give this a download and try it at some point this week, couple of questions;

1. Does it include all the licensed LaLiga stadiums present in the PS3/PC version?

2. Can this be played with a controller alone? I remember when these PES games got announced on the Wii years ago and it had that gimmicky motion controls and nunchuck bullshit that turned me off

You're not the only one getting GTA nostalgia, i've been on the fence about picking up the PS2 trilogy on either PS4 (So i can play on my TV on my couch) or on PC (So i can mod it and play with improved textures and HUD). Also because they had great stories, voice acting and fun missions and cutscenes and i'd like to introduce the missus to these classic games as she's only played GTA V, which she did enjoy.

I can only say that there was no modding with the original Playstation GTA game. It was just top down / two dimensional mayhem and hilarious fun.

And to think, twenty years ago, politicians were getting their sanctimonious knickers in a twist, saying that this cartoon-like little driving and shooting game promoted cop killing and carjacking.

Bolloxology is not a new invention.....:SHAKE::SHAKE::SHAKE:

@miguelfcp , miggy, you should get a coaching job at one of them arab oil corporations pretending to be a football club and show them how to spot future football talent the old school way.

You got another player call spot on. Sahafi, the big unit forward that you advised me to keep the faith with has, after eleven seasons and now twenty eight finally matured into a top class striker.

Sahafi and Sousa are joint top scorers in Division One, ahead of a host of Serie A hitmen from the mid-2000s like Adriano, Mutu, Vieri, Totti and Gilardino.

Chapeau.....:KING::KING::KING:

@MafiaMurderBag I am not really sure that there are all stadiums, I think there is only about 20 in total. I also noticed that there is no Europa League in ML, only Champions League.

I play this with Xbox controller for PC, it is a bit tricky to set up controls but once you finish it it's same like playing that on PC or PS/Xbox.

I noticed that PES 2014 was lastest release of PES for PS2 so maybe that will be a last rematred PES 6 version out there :)

Thanks, i've downloaded a copy, i'll try it tonight. You're right, PES 2014 is the last revision by konami on the PES 6 engine on PS2, i started playing it over the weekend on an emulator, I've downloaded a patched 18/19 version which is pretty cool. I'll upload some gifs shortly.

Here's a video and link to the ISO for those who wanna try on an emulator (or a chipped PS2 if you know what you're doing.)

I can only say that there was no modding with the original Playstation GTA game. It was just top down / two dimensional mayhem and hilarious fun.

And to think, twenty years ago, politicians were getting their sanctimonious knickers in a twist, saying that this cartoon-like little driving and shooting game promoted cop killing and carjacking.

Bolloxology is not a new invention.....:SHAKE::SHAKE::SHAKE:

And to think 20 years on shooting and violent games pretty much ARE the videogame market.

@WhoAteMeDinner The big English teams might as well not bother with scouts these days, they just hoover up all the youngsters with a modicum of talent at about 8-10 yrs old and stockpile it until they either

a) make their way back down the leagues to find their true level
b) are fairly decent and sold for a nice profit having never got anywhere near the first team of the big team who picked them up as 10yr olds, or
c) the very rare one who actually breaks through.

@MafiaMurderBag does pes 14 for PS2 have 360° moving or not? And what about resolution? Does it look nice? PS2 is not really full hd :) thanks

It doesn't have 360 movement no, it's still eight directions. It's a lot more fluid and responsive than PES 6 and some nice new animations in there too. No it's not HD by default but i'm playing on an emulator so i've upscaled it's internal resolution by 4X. So it looks pretty decent.

@WhoAteMeDinner The big English teams might as well not bother with scouts these days, they just hoover up all the youngsters with a modicum of talent at about 8-10 yrs old and stockpile it until they either

a) make their way back down the leagues to find their true level
b) are fairly decent and sold for a nice profit having never got anywhere near the first team of the big team who picked them up as 10yr olds, or
c) the very rare one who actually breaks through.

@mattmid , we are truly always on the same wavelength about modern football and how it is just a corporate money laundering scheme. The stockpiling of thirty or forty young players by the big clubs really took off when the Russians, Arabs and Chinese arrived fifteen years ago. Coincidence ? Much easier to launder your aluminium smelter, oil or human trafficking revenue throught trading young footballers by the lorry load like they were a consignment of cars or washing machines. Also safer for these gangsters than trying to wash the loot clean back home, where they could lose an eye, arm or even head if they fuc'd with the wrong government official.

Football is a dirty, sordid game now and anyone who thinks different is a boy scout....:SHAKE::SHAKE::SHAKE:

@WhoAteMeDinner wouldn't that be a spectacular Football Manager game?
A crossover between GTA and FM.
Laundering trafficking money at Rotherham U?
How to implement your heroin money ?
50/50 scarves? "It's all gun money son"

Yeh it would @rockstrongo , a sort of contemporary real take on life and grim open world game with all the sins and evils of modern society traded and laundered like so much cocaine, heroin, hookers and footballers all put in the capitalist blender of humanity. Sorry to get grim on a Saturday evening, but in a world where a child in India can be bought for less than the price of two poxy coffees on the high street, the world is truly buggered.

Last edited:
Yeh it would @rockstrongo , a sort of contemporary real take on life and grim open world game with all the sins and evils of modern society traded and laundered like so much cocaine, heroin, hookers and footballers all put in the capitalist blender of humanity. Sorry to get grim on a Saturday evening, but in a world where a child in India can be bought for less than the price of two poxy coffees on th high street, the world is truly buggered.
It sure is,I’ve made a decision to chose where and what I’ll buy,for instance I don’t buy cheap H&M clothes,cause they’re made by kids in sweat shops in India,even though those cunts say it’s not.
I try to check where my money goes
It’s a shitty world,and every man needs to do their part in it to make it at least tolerable.

It sure is,I’ve made a decision to chose where and what I’ll buy,for instance I don’t buy cheap H&M clothes,cause they’re made by kids in sweat shops in India,even though those cunts say it’s not.
I try to check where my money goes
It’s a shitty world,and every man needs to do their part in it to make it at least tolerable.

Well said mate, every small decision made based on humanity and not greed is a good one.

@Topaz I haven't played 5 in a while but from what I remember it's fairly similar. That is the one drawback with 9le isn't it, otherwise it has such brilliant gameplay, a sort of hybrid of 5 and 6 taking all the best bits of both.

Does anyone know if WE9LE is harder than PES 5 when it comes to attacking AI? WE9LE is such a fun game but the CPU waste so many chances and I easily win in 6 stars.

Exact same AI, mate. If there are differences are so subtle they don't really make a, uh, difference in the long or even medium run.

Been playing pes 6 over we9le mainly for one thing, the goals feel more varied and it can have some more frantic moments comparatively.

Also, one interesting observation. In pes 3 after the half time whistle, the refs move towards the ball to pick it up and head for the tunnels. In pes 6, the pretend to go pick the ball and if the cutscene sticks around long enough, they just turn away as soon as they get to the ball, lol. And i also have seen then holding the ball sometimes.

Been playing pes 6 over we9le mainly for one thing, the goals feel more varied and it can have some more frantic moments comparatively.

Also, one interesting observation. In pes 3 after the half time whistle, the refs move towards the ball to pick it up and head for the tunnels. In pes 6, the pretend to go pick the ball and if the cutscene sticks around long enough, they just turn away as soon as they get to the ball, lol. And i also have seen then holding the ball sometimes.

Yeah in PES6 sometimes, depending on which player the ball ends with, they do that little flick of the ball with their feet up into their hands.

regarding cpu attacking AI, situation is pretty much like this: pes3/pes6 > pes 4 > pes5.

Having been replaying PES5 recently, I have to agree on the attacking AI. I don't remember it being so easy to keep clean sheets but this certainly is a downside of what is otherwise a brilliant PES.

I'm now planning on catching up with the much celebrated "lost PES" - PES 2008. I'm on the trusty old PS2 and wondered if there are any option files knocking about.

Having been replaying PES5 recently, I have to agree on the attacking AI. I don't remember it being so easy to keep clean sheets but this certainly is a downside of what is otherwise a brilliant PES.

I'm now planning on catching up with the much celebrated "lost PES" - PES 2008. I'm on the trusty old PS2 and wondered if there are any option files knocking about.

I have been working on one for the last year or so. It is not fully complete but there are enough teams to have your own competition or you can give ML a go. Let me know and I will upload it?

Also, I did promise the Amador (PES6) guys that I would upload that for PS2 too which I havent got round to mainly because of being busy myself but also because I was guessing I would be the only one playing it on PS2 as most are on PC here.

I have been working on one for the last year or so. It is not fully complete but there are enough teams to have your own competition or you can give ML a go. Let me know and I will upload it?

Also, I did promise the Amador (PES6) guys that I would upload that for PS2 too which I havent got round to mainly because of being busy myself but also because I was guessing I would be the only one playing it on PS2 as most are on PC here.
Thanks. I have tried using the "upload PES6 data" option in-game but it doesn't seem to work properly.

I'm assuming I would need a Max Drive thingy to get a downloaded option file onto my PS2...

How you been getting on with the shooting? I've been playing this all week as i'm doing a WC 2002 series and the shots are ballooning into the stands almost every time. It's really context sensitive but i feel like the rising shots is a little excessive.

@MadbaLL I've been getting pretty hammered on Top Player on PES6, some nice variety by the AI on this game. Only problem is when you watch CPU vs CPU matches on this, not matter the difficulty or match length, the AI just seems dumb as heck. Enter a competition though and they tear you a new one.

Back
Top Bottom