The Retro-PES Corner

@miguelfcp and @mattmid , two questions about playing an ML Division 1 first season in PES 6. Does the standard of COM teams improve alot ? (Have not seen much difference in standard between Division 1 relegated teams and Div 2 ever present teams in many Division 2 seasons).

And secondly, do ML points for league and cup wins and draws increase much as in PES 3 ? I need to know in order to gauge how much funds I can risk in salaries for players. The top youth players like Sousa, Sasaki and Barth in my squad demand close to 1000 salary points a season, well worth every penny.

The salary cost of the youth list and default new-gen and re-gen newcomers seems to be the best indicator of just how well the players develop and improve over the seasons. You only get donkeys for peanuts it would appear.

Your expert default save ML advice is always pure gold. :SAL:

I think you should be fine because remember there's twice as many games in D1 so twice the potential income from wins/draws. The amount is the same as D2 unless I've forgotten that it isn't! I really must get back to my Domzale defaults save I left it in the first season in D1 and haven't played it since. You've probably got a bit of a backup of money by now? I think with Domzale I was up into to the low 20k points at the start of the D1 season before a ball had been kicked in anger.

This last time with Domzale I hadn't found too much difference in D1 with teams but that was possibly more because the team has improved so much from the early seasons what with teamwork and the vastly improved established players like Jaric and Dodo and so on plus the good newgens acquired. Like I said it's been ages now since I was doing that save but I think I was mid table after about 5-6 games and I even won my first cup match of my save if I recall correctly. :SHOCK:

Guys, I'm at a loss here (to the extent that I'm hardly enjoying football gaming anymore).

I mean, I've been playing some PES 6 lately (thanks to the AMADOR project), some PES 2015 and 2017, even some 2016... Some FIFA 14 and 16 (both unpatched as in "what you would get off the DVDs")...

Each and every of those games has something in which it excels compared to all the others, and I'm now stuck to a point in which I seem to ignore the good things and to over-analyze the negatives.
For example, playing FIFA 16, I'd often think "yeah this is good, but look at how the AI-controlled team reacts to tactics, if only they kept them like they were in FIFA 14 this would be the perfect game", then I switch to FIFA 14 and say "yeah, this is great and tactics do work, but I can't get my head around why they didn't do X like it was in PES 2015, now that was good"... I then switch to PES 2015 and again I'm like "yeah, X is great here... But I wish they did Y like it is in FIFA 16" and so on, rinse and repeat.

Is it normal or should I stop playing altogether for a while and then stick to the game that I "miss" the most in, say, one month?

@WhoAteMeDinner: On my PES08 PS2 save there was a gigantic difference between D1 and D2 teams. It was due to the fact that the D1 was a kind of european superleague with the likes of Bayern, Benfica, Porto, and basically all the european powerhouses of weaker footballing nations (Turkey, Greece, Croatia, and so on). There were always 3/4 D1 teams I knew I wouldn't have much trouble beating, but the rest always gave me a challenge - even on my final year of save where I managed to win the treble.

I also noticed these teams stacked the best talent and were more active on the transfer market, while the D2 teams had much weaker squads and weren't as active when trying to improve via transfers. Still, given you took your time on the D2 and now you have very interesting newcomers by your side, I'd say you'll be fine. Reminds me of what we say often regarding this particular ML challenge: it's actually a good thing to spend a few years on the D2 instead of trying to get promoted on your first seasons of save, this way one's able to improve the team throughout the years and get it ready for D1 football.

Regarding the PES points question, I don't remember the difference but as Matt said, there's plenty of matches for you to get those - unlike on the D2. I remember I only had players earning +1000 PES points after I began playing in the european competitions as well, so I don't know whether you could be in trouble because you already have high earning individuals before having those extra matches on your calendar. Anyway, a good D1 Cup run should take that off of your mind, and it seems you have the talent for it.

@*aLe: Retro fatigue? :D I've had that happen to me too. What I do is I either stop playing football games for a while or I play a non-PES football game for a few days/weeks. Right now I'm sampling ISS3 again - not because of retro fatigue though! - , playing a few Cups and exploring what the game has to offer. I did this with PS2 FIFA too - though the gameplay is subpar, it's a joy to listen to the portuguese commentary of those games, worth for that alone. For me these solutions work everytime, after a while my motivation to play retro-PES is renewed.

@WhoAteMeDinner: On my PES08 PS2 save there was a gigantic difference between D1 and D2 teams. It was due to the fact that the D1 was a kind of european superleague with the likes of Bayern, Benfica, Porto, and basically all the european powerhouses of weaker footballing nations (Turkey, Greece, Croatia, and so on). There were always 3/4 D1 teams I knew I wouldn't have much trouble beating, but the rest always gave me a challenge - even on my final year of save where I managed to win the treble.

I also noticed these teams stacked the best talent and were more active on the transfer market, while the D2 teams had much weaker squads and weren't as active when trying to improve via transfers. Still, given you took your time on the D2 and now you have very interesting newcomers by your side, I'd say you'll be fine. Reminds me of what we say often regarding this particular ML challenge: it's actually a good thing to spend a few years on the D2 instead of trying to get promoted on your first seasons of save, this way one's able to improve the team throughout the years and get it ready for D1 football.

Regarding the PES points question, I don't remember the difference but as Matt said, there's plenty of matches for you to get those - unlike on the D2. I remember I only had players earning +1000 PES points after I began playing in the european competitions as well, so I don't know whether you could be in trouble because you already have high earning individuals before having those extra matches on your calendar. Anyway, a good D1 Cup run should take that off of your mind, and it seems you have the talent for it.

@mattmid and @miguelfcp , thanks for the advice. The standard of Division One teams I suspect is better as you say due to more impressive and bigger squads. And I don't have that many funds (about 6000 pts) stacked up as we only got 1200 points for the Divsion 2 Cup win for example.
Miguel, you are right on the salary demands of players in Division One, same in PES 6 and PES 2008. The players that were lucky enough to have contract renewals at the end of the promotion season then demanded salary hikes of 100 salary pts and more. Some of my top players like Sasaki, Sousa and Barth are already on 1000 pts a season roughly and their actual salary with the extra games in Division One in higher still.

One issue as retro puritan I am very upset by is "WEFA" competitions have been replaced by "European" in PES 6.

Selling out to the UEFA mafia had begun.....:R1:R1:R1

@mattmid and @miguelfcp , thanks for the advice. The standard of Division One teams I suspect is better as you say due to more impressive and bigger squads. And I don't have that many funds (about 6000 pts) stacked up as we only got 1200 points for the Divsion 2 Cup win for example.
Miguel, you are right on the salary demands of players in Division One, same in PES 6 and PES 2008. The players that were lucky enough to have contract renewals at the end of the promotion season then demanded salary hikes of 100 salary pts and more. Some of my top players like Sasaki, Sousa and Barth are already on 1000 pts a season roughly and their actual salary with the extra games in Division One in higher still.

One issue as retro puritan I am very upset by is "WEFA" competitions have been replaced by "European" in PES 6.

Selling out to the UEFA mafia had begun.....:R1:R1:R1

Just think yourself lucky you didn't sign Sterling. 300k a week indeed. :SHOCK:

Wow, I finaly installed PES 2013 for Wii to my computer. I can play it thanks to Dolphin emulator and the gameplay is awesome! I think it's the newest of old PES games :) Still with PES 6 engine but with some nice improvements like almost 360 degree moves, that's really gamechanger for me as you are not stuck in 8 directions like in old PES games :) Also AI Seems to be a bit more clever, I played just 2 games

And thanks to Dolphin I can play it in Full HD and it looks very nice :)

So far I found only one limitation compared to other platforms that there is no ML 2nd division. At least I couldn't find how to set up to start in 2nd div.

I highly reommend to you all to try it :)

EDIT:
I just uploaded a highlights from my 2nd game of the season in ML.
Ugly 1:1 draw :)

And I really love how the formation settings look like :-D
537953070238963b264649af8e3a9eee458837cee5c29d3c97af009eb9633e2342f6cbcc.jpg

Last edited:
Guys, I'm at a loss here (to the extent that I'm hardly enjoying football gaming anymore).

I mean, I've been playing some PES 6 lately (thanks to the AMADOR project), some PES 2015 and 2017, even some 2016... Some FIFA 14 and 16 (both unpatched as in "what you would get off the DVDs")...

Each and every of those games has something in which it excels compared to all the others, and I'm now stuck to a point in which I seem to ignore the good things and to over-analyze the negatives.
For example, playing FIFA 16, I'd often think "yeah this is good, but look at how the AI-controlled team reacts to tactics, if only they kept them like they were in FIFA 14 this would be the perfect game", then I switch to FIFA 14 and say "yeah, this is great and tactics do work, but I can't get my head around why they didn't do X like it was in PES 2015, now that was good"... I then switch to PES 2015 and again I'm like "yeah, X is great here... But I wish they did Y like it is in FIFA 16" and so on, rinse and repeat.

Is it normal or should I stop playing altogether for a while and then stick to the game that I "miss" the most in, say, one month?

I have been through this so many times before. But this year i have been a lot more ‘stable’.

A few things have helped me.

1. The retro pes thread has enabled me to share my joys with others. Whereas before i kinda thought i was the only one that was still playing retro pes so i was forcing myself to like the new ones.

2. Again the retro pes thread, but this time the ML challenges give me a different focus, a different target and, in a way, a different game. Even though i am yet to try them until i finish my PES2008 option file ;)

3. Still having a partner, my brother, to play pes with.

4. Only buying one new game, this year it was FIFA so i havent flirted between the two. Even though i just bought PES from PSN store for 20 quid. So that may change.

5. Playing AO Tennis (which is excellent by the way) too has helped me to have that bit of variety.

A combination of all these things has really helped. So maybe stick with the one which gives you the biggest challenge despite it’s flaws and try one of the ML challenges and share it with us. :)

http://www.spiegel.de/international...-for-elite-league-of-top-clubs-a-1236447.html

The final sell-out of football to corporate greed is on. European Super League 2021. :SHAKE::SHAKE::SHAKE:

It's been inevitable for years and will happen eventually even if this idea doesn't pan out. Would probably be the best thing to happen for the rest of football. Might then bring wages back into the realms of real life for the rest and allow clubs to actually be run properly. No doubt the tv channels will be champing at the bit to get them. They practically wet themselves every time they mention the champions league so I can only imagine what they'd be like over this.

@geeeeee tbh, AO Tennis is arcade crap, so unrealistic. You should try Tennis Elbow.
Out of curiosity, is it still related to the original 'Tennis Elbow' game?
I used to remember Tennis Elbow '98 and I'm wondering whether it's the same series (with the same developers) or not.

I think it is, these are from France, were the Tennis Elbow 98 guys French? It's a really good game with a massive career mode and mods available to add real player names etc.

PES 6 Playstation 2 Default and Youth list squad ML save update:

Nine league games and one cup game played, about a third of the way through our first season in Division One and the eleven hard seasons in Division Two served the UC Sampdoria squad very well. All default and youth players can now compete strongly with the Division One big boys. Just played a big all Serie A league game with Inter (Zlatan, Crespo, Figo and Adriano on the bench :SHOCK::SHOCK::SHOCK:).

Beat the Milanese giants with a calciopoli era squad of the best players in world football, beat them
1 - 2 away at the San Siro and scored the winner in second half injury time.

Top of the Division One standings now, but it is early: 6 Wins 2 Draws 1 Loss and GS 21 GC 8.

Speaking about pes overdose,which happened to me also with this hurricane of retro pes+pes17/18 ps4 plus a little bit of pes2019 ,I really overdid it,playing all retro from PES 2 to Pes 2018 pc,ps2(emu),ps4 versions ,making patches trying others patches (amador,sany etc) and watching much pes in YouTube.It happened again in the past to me,it is not that I’m bored to death ,but I loose the pes passion for a while.It comes back latter always.
Until the return my fixes usually are some good old jrpg in emulators,last year I played digimon world dusk for NDS which is really decent rpg with good mechanics.Mow I am playing a little bit RTS EmpireEarth and age of Mythology,building some custom scenarios and really sick maps,while I recharging my pes batteries! :) Maybe I will also finish my Dragonball Xenovrrse II or my GTA V which I left to 51% completition.

Great to have you posting again here @slamsoze me old pal. As you always like my posts, no matter how left wing. :CONFUSE::CONFUSE::CONFUSE:

And on your return to the good old days of PC RTS and action games. My mind is taken back to Age of Mythology in 2002, I remember I had it on pre-order for months. What a game, sadly Windows 10 killed it.

Microsoft :R1:R1:R1

Speaking about pes overdose,which happened to me also with this hurricane of retro pes+pes17/18 ps4 plus a little bit of pes2019 ,I really overdid it,playing all retro from PES 2 to Pes 2018 pc,ps2(emu),ps4 versions ,making patches trying others patches (amador,sany etc) and watching much pes in YouTube.It happened again in the past to me,it is not that I’m bored to death ,but I loose the pes passion for a while.It comes back latter always.
Until the return my fixes usually are some good old jrpg in emulators,last year I played digimon world dusk for NDS which is really decent rpg with good mechanics.Mow I am playing a little bit RTS EmpireEarth and age of Mythology,building some custom scenarios and really sick maps,while I recharging my pes batteries! :) Maybe I will also finish my Dragonball Xenovrrse II or my GTA V which I left to 51% completition.

@slamsoze , wasn't that an open world rpg thingummy ? How can you finish it ? I only bought the original GTA and never lasted more than five minutes of tiny pixel pedestrian mowing down and cop killing with a machine gun. Civilization ehhhh.
:)):)):))

Last edited:
I think all this GTA nostalgia has given me good reason to play GTA again. As you all know I have a Playstation 2 and it is backwards compatible with old Playstation 1 games.

Now where did I park my Lamborghini Countgash and my Ferrari Testicle the last time I played ?
:COAT::COAT::COAT:

Great to have you posting again here @slamsoze me old pal. As you always like my posts, no matter how left wing. :CONFUSE::CONFUSE::CONFUSE:

And on your return to the good old days of PC RTS and action games. My mind is taken back to Age of Mythology in 2002, I remember I had it on pre-order for months. What a game, sadly Windows 10 killed it.

Microsoft :R1:R1:R1
@slamsoze , wasn't that an open world rpg thingummy ? How can you finish it ? I only bought the original GTA and never lasted more than five minutes of tiny pixel pedestrian mowing down and cop killing with a machine gun. Civilization ehhhh.
:)):)):))
As I slowed down playing 1 or 2 pes matches per day last days I had only few things to post.Although I am a neutral,I prefer leftists better than conservatives all over the world. :P
Yes GTA since gta III is an open world game with rpg elements in GTA San Andreas.Still In GTA V there is an offline part with missions and story which you can still complete.It has also an online part which despite seeming funny as an idea,I personally do not like as it misses main objects and is mainly built to have players spend money in micro transactions which I always hate.
Furthermore even GTA V which runs for 6 years now alive and under support suffers from the pes 5/6 decease as a franchise.It had Vice City and San Andreas which where the respective pes 5/6/we9le and after that from gta IV and often it went into a downhill in possibility and mechanics.San Andreas was the last title with complete freedom.
But the case is,what Rockstar did and the game is still considered a success , they published a very polished game in content with new mechanics so despite the game feels more rigid now it gives you an immersion that it is not subpar from the old masterpieces.It is something that KONAMI should look for, when you cannot make a game better than your older titles,then just make a game that at least is playable.The sad part with modern gta in console is that it is in realism rails.In San Andreas in pc I loved to ride cars/motorbikes ,listening my favorite Rap songs in mp3 ingame in car radios and causing havoc in the city while I was making trips.In the modern game it is overfollowing realism,the next moment you taunt someone cop or gangsta you are down by one-two bullets.So no more faffing around da hood unfortunately !!! :P

As for AgeofMythology ,I am in a depressed state where I have an old collectors box from 2003 with disc of AoM,AoM titans expansion and a collectible figure which I cannot play cause my dvdrom is dead and a half-arsed ,money grab digital version I bought from Steam 2 years ago , which is dead since then and only added some bs Chinese Civilization with a broken halfarsed campaign which crashes every now and then.Furthermore the online mode in Steam is a nightmare and nowhere near the experience we had playing 2vs2 on LAN with friends in the old console/PC clubs stores back in the 00’s,with 1 hour ceasefire,slow build up and battles that used to last over 3-4 hours.Modern kids in online RTS today’s, are all used to play like some ASIAN League of Legend /DoTA pro players with 1,000,000 mouse clicks per second ,building only the only one same unit according to META and starting attacks from the first 10 minutes before even you can build up some type of civilization or advance some epoch.It is a complete mess for me.I remember back in 2002-2003 playing 2vs2 with pals,having obligatory PEACE for one hour,building some cities,listening to Radio,making and drinking some coffee and having fun in the meantime and after that starting to clash with our armies in battles that would last for hours.Now it evolved to hack n slash death matches.

P.S.: I saw a trailer in YouTube with upcoming RTS for 2019.The 7/10 were some shitty mobile games but 3/10 looked promising like AgeOfEmpires 4.I hope only it will be decent and not halfarsed like AoE 3 or some shitty e-sports competitive bullshit as it is the last hope of RTS games.Althougg I do not trust Microsoft Studios they are much alike EA sports in games development.

Hi guys, its been a while and i'm here with a question.

Couple of years ago i saw a Korea release only PES game that looked like an updated PES 6 with better graphics with online only aspect. It looked next gen yet retained its classic PES feeling, its not the LE edition either, it was said to be online only, anyone can find videos on it ?

I think all this GTA nostalgia has given me good reason to play GTA again. As you all know I have a Playstation 2 and it is backwards compatible with old Playstation 1 games.

Now where did I park my Lamborghini Countgash and my Ferrari Testicle the last time I played ?
:COAT::COAT::COAT:
I know you are a hardcore retro-lover but since you have ps2 you could give GTA vice city a try.Maybe you will like it.It is pretty basic for our days but with all the fundamentals in. The only minus in console compared to pc is you cannot import your favorite mp3 songs to listen while riding cars.I could just drive in the city without missions just to listening my songs.If you have an average PC or laptop ,beyond 2008 I think you can run it smoothly.Also avoid the STEAm versions which I rebought both vice city and San Andreas,cause they are also halfarsed and rushed.They are not optimized for modern windows and they decease some random crashes or some malfunctions like the mouse stop working.

Couple of years ago i saw a Korea release only PES game that looked like an updated PES 6 with better graphics with online only aspect. It looked next gen yet retained its classic PES feeling, its not the LE edition either, it was said to be online only, anyone can find videos on it ?
Here you are sir

It had also a sequel Winning Eleven Online 2014

Thanks Matt.As a retro lover I use only win7 in my laptop for having some fan and in my desktop I use windowsXP for the most serious staff ,job,tasks etc :P :D

Thanks @mattmid , have this nagging feeling though I tried something mighty similar to that fix on another games killed by Windown 10 and it had zilch impact, game still dead.

Microsoft did this on purpose for sure, fuc'd by Gates yet again, arrrrgggggghhhhhhh........:MAD::MAD::MAD:

I know you are a hardcore retro-lover but since you have ps2 you could give GTA vice city a try.Maybe you will like it.It is pretty basic for our days but with all the fundamentals in. The only minus in console compared to pc is you cannot import your favorite mp3 songs to listen while riding cars.I could just drive in the city without missions just to listening my songs.If you have an average PC or laptop ,beyond 2008 I think you can run it smoothly.Also avoid the STEAm versions which I rebought both vice city and San Andreas,cause they are also halfarsed and rushed.They are not optimized for modern windows and they decease some random crashes or some malfunctions like the mouse stop working.

@slamsoze , might have a look for that. Music and good commentary is the one thing PES never got right, almost a loveable trait of the series. Bollox commentary and trashy hooker music.

Except PES 3 of course...:LOVE::LOVE::LOVE:

PES 6 Master League is getting very interesting as we never expected to be table toppers early on in the season. Division One is a long haul of thirty league games and thought the small squad of twenty two with several very young players around nineteen or twenty-years-old with alot of development to come needed mid-season transfer window signings to bring it up to the level of the big clubs in Division One.

The next four games are all against the clubs immediately below us in the table. We could open up a big lead or not.

Back
Top Bottom