The Retro-PES Corner

Biggest win in euro finals.

AIy4tzA.png

@ PES 5

Damn... i still haven't given up. Just for a try the other day i played on max. 5 Star difficulty and .... the game is kinda easyier and more......fun? I don't feel the same frustration of being cheated left and right....?

Even my body is feeling more relaxed now!

That makes absolute no sence! :THINK:....

@ PES 5

Damn... i still haven't given up. Just for a try the other day i played on max. 5 Star difficulty and .... the game is kinda easyier and more......fun? I don't feel the same frustration of being cheated left and right....?

Even my body is feeling more relaxed now!

That makes absolute no sence! :THINK:....

@Hoshii , it may seem that way to begin with at five star or the later Top player difficulty level. But as my PES 3 main man @fmicablues7 and I have discussed on here before, the COM teams and AI is less hell for leather in attacking terms, that is why it seems easier. But the COM teams then build up more carefully from the back and keep things tight defensively at the highest difficulty. More scoreless draws occur.

Ummm and more bad news for you, I think PES 4 and 5 have an unlockable Six Star difficulty setting too.

:DOH::DOH::DOH:

Disclaimer: This post is strictly about AI cheating/manipulating.

Hello everyone, this is something i have been waiting to write for a while. Nothing new or revolutionary, just to document so that someone in the future might read it and reflect upon how AI in footballing games and their antics came about. :)

I don't remember in older FIFA games, but having played all modern PES and FIFA, one of the ways AI score in these games are messing up with the players' stats. I firmly believe that it was PES 5/6 (i don't recall much on PES 3/4) paved the ways in which AI blatantly manipulates the gameplay in order to score. I guess you could call the ps2 PES pioneer in that regards as well. I repeat again, i don't claim that this is the only way the AI attack, this is one of the many ways in which they attack. And this way of AI scoring transcended to the modern FIFA and PES, and i think this is more evident online. Some of the most obvious ways are as follows:

1. Slowing defenders down:

If you are manually setting up a faster defender for an interception, the game slows the playeer down so that the attacking AI attacks in much faster pace. This also suddenly adds that lethargic feeling to the game. I had 87 acceleration 90 top speed El Mubaraki slowed down so that the attacking AI can score an easy 1 on 1. I have instances where the game blatantly moves my defender away from the passing lane.

2. Nutmegs:

The nutmegs are more obvious when scoring goals. These nutmegs are also obvious when a rushing defender comes to a sudden halt and spreads his feet to get traction and slow down the momentum. This also happens when going for an interception.

3. Bounce backs:

The ball bounces backs to the attacking AI, the most common phenomenon, especially with some of the goalies saves. Not the biggest problem but it still obvious. How i wished the modern game would add dynamic ball physics where every deflections and ricochets were physics based.

4. Sliding tackles/interceptions:

Now this is really subliminal but there are instances where your players tackle over the ball to allow the pass, almost as if its slightly delayed so that the ball goes under the player. There are even instances where the tackles, instead of being perpendicular to the ball, becomes almost parallel so they don't intercept the passing line. Its prevalent in PES 6 and its even prevalent when i played fifa 18 ultimate team.

5. Fouls not being called:

You get shoved off the ball from the back, no whistle. Minor contact that gets you dispossessed, no whistle. This is more prevalent in we9le. Nothing too severe, but they are still there.

Final remark:
There is no particular order to this list, i believe you lots know about it already, the AI cheats, regardless of the generations. The most obvious way is that the AI either plays so fast that you cant react to it or that they play that one killer long pass clean through on goal. These plays are more obvious in rival matches, or to end your win streak.
What i mentioned is noting new, but older PES does this balancing act brilliantly where there are more instances of genuinely getting beat by the AI with their passing spell, i think folks who played pes 3 might agree with that. I also feel that there are plenty of moments like that in pes 6 where you appreciate AI for the smart passing and chance creation to a point where, you treat AI like another human and get angry at it because it somehow tested your patience and outsmarted you. I genuinely haven't felt this way with modern footy games as i think they have tipped more towards cheating ways than coming up with smart AI plays, which is why i keeping going back to the early 2000s. Hope you enjoyed this long read.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: This post is strictly about AI cheating/manipulating.

Hello everyone, this is something i have been waiting to write for a while. Nothing new or revolutionary, just to document so that someone in the future might read it and reflect upon how AI in footballing games and their antics came about. :)

I don't remember in older FIFA games, but having played all modern PES and FIFA, one of the ways AI score in these games are messing up with the players' stats. I firmly believe that it was PES 5/6 (i don't recall much on PES 3/4) paved the ways in which AI blatantly manipulates the gameplay in order to score. I guess you could call the ps2 PES pioneer in that regards as well. I repeat again, i don't claim that this is the only way the AI attack, this is one of the many ways in which they attack. And this way of AI scoring transcended to the modern FIFA and PES, and i think this is more evident online. Some of the most obvious ways are as follows:

1. Slowing defenders down:

If you are manually setting up a faster defender for an interception, the game slows the playeer down so that the attacking AI attacks in much faster pace. This also suddenly adds that lethargic feeling to the game. I had 87 acceleration 90 top speed El Mubaraki slowed down so that the attacking AI can score an easy 1 on 1. I have instances where the game blatantly moves my defender away from the passing lane.

2. Nutmegs:

The nutmegs are more obvious when scoring goals. These nutmegs are also obvious when a rushing defender comes to a sudden halt and spreads his feet to get traction and slow down the momentum. This also happens when going for an interception.

3. Bounce backs:

The ball bounces backs to the attacking AI, the most common phenomenon, especially with some of the goalies saves. Not the biggest problem but it still obvious. How i wished the modern game would add dynamic ball physics where every deflections and ricochets were physics based.

4. Sliding tackles/interceptions:

Now this is really subliminal but there are instances where your players tackle over the ball to allow the pass, almost as if its slightly delayed so that the ball goes under the player. There are even instances where the tackles, instead of being perpendicular to the ball, becomes almost parallel so they don't intercept the passing line. Its prevalent in PES 6 and its even prevalent when i played fifa 18 ultimate team.

5. Fouls not being called:

You get shoved off the ball from the back, no whistle. Minor contact that gets you dispossessed, no whistle. This is more prevalent in we9le. Nothing too severe, but they are still there.

Final remark:
There is no particular order to this list, i believe you lots know about it already, the AI cheats, regardless of the generations. The most obvious way is that the AI either plays so fast that you cant react to it or that they play that one killer long pass clean through on goal. These plays are more obvious in rival matches, or to end your win streak.
What i mentioned is noting new, but older PES does this balancing act brilliantly where there are more instances of genuinely getting beat by the AI with their passing spell, i think folks who played pes 3 might agree with that. I also feel that there are plenty of moments like that in pes 6 where you appreciate AI for the smart passing and chance creation to a point where, you treat AI like another human and get angry at it because it somehow tested your patience and outsmarted you. I genuinely haven't felt this way with modern footy games as i think they have tipped more towards cheating ways than coming up with smart AI plays, which is why i keeping going back to the early 2000s. Hope you enjoyed this long read.

I did enjoy the long read :)

But I always found with PES5 (never really got into PES6) that it was the stats plus my own nervousness when playing ‘big’ games that affected gameplay. One of the best stats was Mentality. Defenders with low Mentality would struggle when defending last minute corners or not getting tackles in that they would normally do.

Personally I have never felt that it was scripted in PES5, yes there were times when I wouldn’t get the ‘rub of the green’ but that happens in real life too. Whenever I would see the CPU make a silly mistake I would think ‘so it’s not just me’ but again that was to do with Mentality, Stamina, and other stats. Sometimes I would concede a last minute goal, but then also somtimes clear it, or the CPU would miss a last minute sitter. It happens in real life too. The difference between PES then and now is that stats really did make a difference.

@geeeeee Still play we9le, alternating between that and pes 3. The only instance i feel cheated on we9le is the fouls, AI get away with so many of them. And i agree about the nervousness, on tight situations, because the power bar fills up so fast and situation can change so quick, i stutter so much that i end up lashing it lol, my thumbs literally stutters i laugh at myself. The handicapping is very minimal in older pes, nothing that ruins it.

@Chilleverest: Great read man. Admittedly I never gave much thought about scripting/AI cheating up until I got back to later PES PSP games (which use the PES6 gameplay engine, plus a few tweaks) and played ML saves on it. Particularly the D1/D2 Cup matches were a scripting party, but as I entered Super Saiyan Mode to try to overcome that, most cup matches ended with ridiculous results like 3-4, 4-5...I was never mad about this, in fact it was one more layer of fun added to the experience, as I knew whenever I had a cup matchup that we'd be playing a hockey match instead of the regular football fof D1/D2 matches - which, strangely, still had visible scripting but was noticeably much less pronounced, I mean muuch less than on the DCup. - [protip: if you're at work don't search D Cup on Google]

Of course, the beauty of retro-PES is that one tends to downplay these kinds of shortcomings/potential issues of the game because they're old(er), I bet if I spent 60 bucks on a modern PES and had such a scripting fest, I'd be beyond mad. Now, I don't give a sh*t - am I done with the PES2011 PSP scripting? Move to PES3. Tired of PES3? Move to ISS Pro Evo PS1. Tired of it? PES4. Simple and painless.

@chilliverest I must admit I've never really noticed much in the way of scripting in the earlier PES's (3-6) but I certainly agree about the rebounds going to the AI strikers off the keeper in PES 6.

I think there's some scripting in the ML in PES6 at least in the sense that you seem to get on runs where you just can't do a thing no matter how hard you try then suddenly you can't lose. Hard to quantify if it is totally scripting though because player mentality and form comes into it of course.

I always thought that as the ref was CPU controlled he automatically sided with the other team :LOL:
I used to call foul play a lot but when I checked the replay I was wrong. There were some blatant incorrect decisions however even with the replay.
It has worked the other way round too. But very rarely.

@Titch Yeah, I must admit I've been given penalties and looked at the replay and thought, nope, he never touched him!

@WhoAteMeDinner Mr Dinner, on your wonderful ( :LOL: )24 hour Champions League channel that you have there in Ireland have a look at PSG v Liverpool from last night and watch in full glory everything that is wrong with modern footballers. PSG players spent most of the evening laying on the ground. Neymar, as you might expect, was the worst exponent of the 'dramatic' fall to the ground after the merest of touches to the prima donna. A player with great skill but a complete prick, who makes Ronaldo's 'look at me' look tame in comparison. Oh to have a moment in time where he suddenly comes up against a 1970's centre back who would put him in row z and show him what a real tackle feels like.

Another thing in the game that really frustrates with modern players (in fairness to them it's been happening way before them now) was Liverpool's penalty. A ridiculous tackle from Di Maria, but watch the replay and Mane is on his way down before he even gets to Di Maria's foot. Yes it's a stupid, needless tackle and a penalty, but in truth he could have just jumped over his leg, but let's not bring honesty into the game, f**k that, it's about winning at any cost. FIFA fair play my arse.

@miguelfcp i have read many analogies you made with POKEMON rpgs. I would like to ask, are you fan of the series? I was a big fan with the older games, i loved J-RPG'S especially in SNES, special reference: Mother 2 (Earthbound) which i assume as the master piece and the matrix of all J-RPG games. So in the pokemon series i played all the titles in GB-GBC handelds, i played the GBA series and the Diamond-Pealr, HH-SS in DS version in emulators and since i bought a 3DS only for the series, i started from retro picking HeartGOLD. Then i bought Black2 and X-Y both plus Omega Ruby- Alpha Saphire and i finished with SUN which is the last game i bought. To be honest i disliked the path the series choosen, to make a shallow and rushed story mode, just to transform the game to a MMO-RPG, which to be honest it is not absolutelly bad, bad a strong change in game mechanics is needed to achieve this, as with the current mechanics all you end up is doing some "Nazi Eugenics" just to achieve the most competitive monsters. There in no bond with your team as you are forced to treat to the bad EV-IV monsters as garbage.So i did not buy ULTRA SUN?? cause i found it more shallow then even and just a money grab milking proposal from Nintendo. They also choose the bad path of publishing games every 1 or 2 years as the football titles , with dlcs and online fixes to bugs cause of the rushed development time, when in earlier gens , it took them 3-4 years to produce a good pkmn rpg.

Also as i saw your mentions in GBA modding (romhacking), it created nice memories as i tried back in the days ,when i had time to play ,rpgs,pokemon rpgs, PES ML, alltogether in the same day, (nice times) :) , to learn using the tools available back then ADVmaps, etc. I achieved to insert new spirtes and create extra monsters or randomize some locations and i was close to learn how to create my own scripts but unfortunately the life duties forced me to hold back and abandon. But i loved much play some modded roms, some of them being really masterpieces like Shiny Gold from Zel, the father of all modders, or The Liguid Crystal Project which was pretty awesome until it went the live beta hurricane , or a guy i forgot his name now who made awesome mods of Ruby, or the masterpiece Light Platinum.

Finally i believe what held back the retro pokemon modding is that the tools and technology were badly stuck to the GBA generation and never achieved a true leap to the NDS emulators era. With the new possibilities of NDS it would be a truly revolution on how to make pokemon moded game.
Also my personal proposal to serebii forums which was negated and harshly criticized by "hardcore-online competitive" pokemon fans, was to make the battle mechanics with an ATB system closer to Final Fantasy IV and on battle mecahnics, or Chrono Trigger one's , or even better to copy the battle system from "Summoners Wars:Sky Arena " a mobile rpg game which is pretty fun and i used to play from 2014 but gave up due to disgusting loot-boxes system and non existent story mode (this is pretty reasonable for a mobile game , to not have a proper deep story mode). It would be really awesome as with ATB the only change would be to make the SPEED stat relative and not just a selection to who goes first in a chess mode game.

Sorry for the offtopic fellas. Due to a semi broken laptop PC, i can not play Retro-PES the last month.So no new about older PES until i get it fixed. :P

Hi guys, have any of you PESretro editors come across a bug in the editing section where some teams occasionally have an ‘Unregistered’ player, normally in the GK section? He normally replaces one of the teams player’s. You can eliminate them by going to the Register Player section and remove them from the team. Once you do that the original player appears in the team again.

This has happened twice with Birmingham striker Isaac Vassell. Also, if you go to the Team Numbers section without first eliminating this player the game freezes.

Like I said this happens only occassionaly on PES2008 PS2, I just wondered if any of you guys have experienced it?

Also, a little update on my Option File. I counted how many players I have edited and it is now 3309.
And I am quite happy that i have been able to create top players with ‘A’ player rating in ML and with high wages. Really looking forward to starting ML to see how this pans out.

Last edited:
Nope, haven't experienced that, but I have experienced something similar.

This was a few years ago, so this is all that I still remember. On PES2009 PS2, I was going around the editing section until I noticed that the entire squad of Copenhagen was unregistered. All of the players were not in the team. So I went ahead and checked what was going on, and there were no actual players in the team, just "Unregistered" players with no stats and the default face settings. This weirded me out, so I went and played a game with them. The first thing I see is that the Stat graph is just gone for Copenhagen, which was a sign of things to come. The game starts, and 11 bald players with number 0s on their shirt come out, and surprisingly, I could actually kick off. Now, I don't remember how the players played (ie whether they were slow, fast, skilled), but the game came to an end when the ball went out of play for a corner. There was no one to take the corner kick, and i couldn't choose anyone, I was effectively stuck, and had to quit.

Yeah, the PS2 ports of PES2008 and 2009 were weird, indeed.

Nope, haven't experienced that, but I have experienced something similar.

This was a few years ago, so this is all that I still remember. On PES2009 PS2, I was going around the editing section until I noticed that the entire squad of Copenhagen was unregistered. All of the players were not in the team. So I went ahead and checked what was going on, and there were no actual players in the team, just "Unregistered" players with no stats and the default face settings. This weirded me out, so I went and played a game with them. The first thing I see is that the Stat graph is just gone for Copenhagen, which was a sign of things to come. The game starts, and 11 bald players with number 0s on their shirt come out, and surprisingly, I could actually kick off. Now, I don't remember how the players played (ie whether they were slow, fast, skilled), but the game came to an end when the ball went out of play for a corner. There was no one to take the corner kick, and i couldn't choose anyone, I was effectively stuck, and had to quit.

Yeah, the PS2 ports of PES2008 and 2009 were weird, indeed.

Thanks for sharing mancakeman, i just hope that it doesn't cause a crash in ML. It’s strange because it seems to happen quite randomly.

@slamsoze: Yes I am, indeed! I played all of the versions from the GB series up until the NDS ones, however I lost track of it afterwards. I always bought Nintendo consoles solely because of the newest Pokemon game, but by the time 3DS was out, I was happy to just watch my brother play on his 3DS, wasn't that interested on getting one to play it myself. For some reason I missed out on other similar franchises such as Zelda, so Pokemon was truly my only RPG for many years.

It was only a few years ago, back when I decided to embrace this retro-gaming frenzy, that I replayed a few Game Boy-era Pokemon games and was absolutely blown away; I was spending entire afternoons without noticing the passage of time playing the game, which was a very common occurrence when I was a kid, but had lost that wonderful sensation over the years. Now that my english is much better than it was 20 years ago, it was much easier for me to understand the story of each version, most of it had flew over my younger self's head back in the day.

Then, I found out about romhacking GBA Pokemon, and again it blew my mind reading and watching what these wizards of editing had done. Entire new maps, entire new catalogs of invented Pokemons, new stories...new games, basically. I still haven't completed a few of the original games, but when I do I already have a good collection of romhacks to try out.
I also want to create one myself, one of these days. Always wanted to be able to create my own Pokemon story, with my invented "monsters", even before I had heard of romhacking.

The reason I mention retro-Pokemon so often is because I always found retro-PES to be quite similar in its editing possibilities. PES6 is nowadays basically the football version of Pokemon Crystal, which I think is the original Pokemon game that more often is used as a "base" to edit the ROM and change graphics, text, everything; just like we do when we edit stadiums, kits, chants, stats, scoreboards, etc. The thing is that retro-PES is even easier to edit, so it has that advantage.
What me and @mattmid did with the Amador project was in my mind heavily inspired by Pokemon: a new, fantasy world with fantasy players and invented "storylines", taking advantage of the possibilities of editing retro-PES.

As for Pokemon nowadays, I don't even recognize the newest monsters anymore. I'm happy with my Gravelers and Gyarados and Ho-Ohs and Suicunes...which must all be 5 or 6 generations before the most recent ones, I bet :D

So I decided to play a little World Cup competition on PES2008 PS2.
I have based the seedings on the FIFA Rankings plus what teams I have updated so far. I will play each game and decide which team I control on the roll of a dice.

Here are the groups...

Group A - Uruguay, Sweden, Italy, Japan
Group B - England, Netherlands, Poland, Slovenia
Group C - Brazil, Germany, Serbia, Russia (group of death it seems)
Group D - Belgium, Mexico, Wales, Cameroon
Group E - Portugal, Spain, Peru, Australia
Group F - Croatia, Argentina, Iran, Saudi Arabia
Group G - France, Denmark, Tunisia, Nigeria
Group H - Switzerland, Colombia, Turkey, Ghana

I will try to play 2 games per day and I will post the results once I play them.

Fixture 1

Group A (* is me)
Uruguay v *Japan
*Sweden v Italy

Hi guys

Feeling nostalgic and wanna play PES 5 or 6 again on my MacBook Air. Don't know where to start tho...Anyone care to help met out?

Bootcamp Windows 7? Is that still a thing?

Or https://pcsx2.net/ to emulate. Not sure if the Air has enough CPU for this though.

Or you could try installing Wine?

Hope you get it working :)

There’s a thread with installers for most retro PES games, can’t remember the name ...

@geeeeee: Where did you get the player stats for the most obscure nations you've got there such as Iran or Saudi Arabia?

Heh heh nothing special mig’s. Any players that are not in PSD i edited them over someone that is no longer in the game but plays in the same position. I also took about 5 points off of certain stats especially if they were edited over a retired ‘star’ player. Also i used sofifa to check for any additional player skills/traits.

I started my competition last night but my controller is naff. So i ordered one hopefully will come today.

I am debating wether to start on Professional or Top Player. I find on Professional i get hounded down quite a lot. I wonder if Top Player is slightly easier even though it is the highest difficulty. Also, do I start with 10min matches or 15min? Hmm decisions decisions...

Last edited:
@geeeeee: Good idea, completely forgot about using FIFA stats...I asked because I had trouble moving forward with an option file for PES3 I was doing, once I found out that PSD doesn't have stats of all the players for those nations I spoke of...

I "vote" 15 min. matches :D On PES08 I find it the perfect fit.

@geeeeee: Good idea, completely forgot about using FIFA stats...I asked because I had trouble moving forward with an option file for PES3 I was doing, once I found out that PSD doesn't have stats of all the players for those nations I spoke of...

I "vote" 15 min. matches :D On PES08 I find it the perfect fit.

I don’t actually use the stats from FIFA I just look at the traits and the skills like Passing, Long Shooting etc...

Yeh I think I will go for 15 mins. What level do you find plays best?

@geeeeee: Hmmm I see. On 08 I only tried Top Player, never played any level below. 15min + Top Player on that game is one of the best football gaming experiences I've ever had, for sure.

I was going to start at Regular for the first round of group games and work my way up but that would be unfair on the teams i’m playing against. I will take your advice and dive straight into Top Player at 15mins.

So I finally got my new controller and played the first two group games of my WC comp.

Here are the very brief highlights. ‘*’ is controlled by myself.

Group A

Last edited:
@geeeeee: Lately I've been diving deeper on WE9LE, as well as ISS Pro Evo on the PS1 - which is a hell of a fantastic game - can't believe its attacking AI is better than PES5...was absolutely surprised to see how well it holds up. If it could be as easily modded/edited like PES on the PS2, I'd be in heaven.

My experience with WE9LE, particularly with my tweaks to try to better the CPU attacking AI, led me to find a couple of old threads here on Evo-web in which you happen to participate, as you guys were trying to overcome that problem as well with stat tweaks and tactics. Haven't yet tried the stat tweaks, but did test a lot of tactics and strategies specifically created to build a more effective offensive organization for the CPU, but while I did see some improvements (like positioning the wingbacks higher up as in modern football, to create more passing lanes), it's still far, far from default PES6 on that regard...and may I say, even ISS Pro Evo! It's a shame, because the game is just fantastic overall, feels great playing it, but that attacking CPU man...now when played multiplayer/online, that's the stuff right there. Even if I was regularly beaten by the likes of @lazoli and @wildwind, it's absolutely fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom