The Retro-PES Corner

@geeeeee: Regarding your transfer frequency question, I can't remember the settings on PES08 but I always choose "normal" on most retro-PES games...however, given how often players move from club to club in real-life these days, I've considered starting MLs on "high" instead...

Will you still start your ML after finding that problem with the duplicated players?

@miguelfcp thanks for the answer about transfers.

I managed to fix the duplicate players. I just copied them over other players and deleted the ‘Edited Players’ in that section. So I have no ‘Edited Players’ only ‘ML Secret Players’ so no ‘Duplicate’ players as far as i am aware thankfully.

I tried to stream PES08, i had to do so at 50hz because of the slow down issues i had at 60hz, streaming 50hz didn't look good. So for my retro footy streams i am sticking with a patched WE7iJ for now.

Master league with default players used to be good, but back then i was a lot better at the game, but these days being crap at the game is making it a bit shit!

So it's already known that Pes 08 Ps2 has better gameplay than the next gen versions. How different is the engine between old gen and the ps3 gen on Pes 08? They look fairly similar.

Is there any chance to just transfer the gameplay files from Ps2 to pc then? I don't have Ps2 version so I don't if the files even look similar. It was possible to transfer most of the files of fifa 09, 10 of ps2 to fifa 09, 10 of pc because of how similar they were. So maybe there's a chance to do the same in Pes 08.

Right now I can just get a copy of Pes 08 ps2 and run it via pcsx2 but the next gen port really looks great.
Pes_2008_Screenshot_2018.12.20_-_02.28.16.15.png

@geeeeee: It depended on the teams - one of the greatest things about ML in PES08-14 PS2, actually. Some decided to renew their squad rightaway on the first few transfer windows, like Rosenborg in my save who by season 2 already had almost a completely new starting-11; while others seem to cling onto their original roster: I remember Bayern who changed little of their squad throughout 7 or 8 seasons and as a consequence, most of their starting-11 and bench had players well onto their 30s. It wasn't that unrealistic of a choice because they were dominating the league with that squad - and dominated it for almost a decade.
The majority of the teams maintained their core of players throughout the save, adding just a couple of new pieces each year to complement it. I also found that most have a tendency to hoard players, but given how chaotic the ML calendar can be for a team that's playing both the national and WEFA competitions, it makes more sense to have really large squads than only 22-23 players.

As for offers made by the CPU to my players, I don't remember a single one actually! Haven't played 08 PSP for a while but on 11/12/13/14 the CPU is absolutely active when it comes to dealing with us, one doesn't even have to make a player available for transfer talks because we'll still get many offers anyway. Could it be an issue with 08 only?

@miguelfcp thanks that’s good to hear regarding the CPU transfers. In my tester that i played about 8 months ago i was getting quite a few offers but i can’t remember what setting it was. Actually i might still have the save and then i can check.

When i start my ML i want to get it right straight away no pressure then :CALM:

I have 5 teams left to do and then i will begin. I am so looking forward to it. I have randomly changed the ML default’s ages so that means that some of them will be younger or older of course. Will Zammenof (spelling) be a teenager and finally get some game time?...

@Sami 1999 i know that the PC and PS3 version of PES2008 is worse than the PS2 version. Not sure if you can transfer the gameplay over, sorry.

@miguelfcp i just checked my old save and i had it set on high. When i eventually start i may put it on high and i might play the game as it should be played rather than do a scenario although i will have own ‘rules’.

1. If a team bids for my player and they are higher ranked than me then i have to let them go.
2. I can only buy players from teams lower ranked than me or the odd new player.
3. I will keep it quite realistc anyway and try to play the Poch way and bring the youth in.
4. I will actually give myself 15000 (or 10000) ML points so that I have some kind of credit to get me through the first few seasons.

I know i keep mentioning it but i am really looking forward to how the transfers work out now that i have ‘top’ players (in fact the top 100 Fifa players) ranked higher with A or B. I am hoping that they will only join high ranked teams.

@geeeeee: Those rules are actually very interesting for a ML save, particularly the 1 and 2, which I've never tried. Do you give me permission to add it to our ML Scenario Vault? I don't think we have that kind of challenge there yet, must check it out.

Nothing beats playing our own "game" after editing the database like you did. I mean, one thing is to play with the original database, which is a great experience already, but playing with our own work is just fantastic, ain't it?

Hey

@Sami 1999 In my research of that game (PES 2008 PS2) i also found HEX codes with whom you can edit the old PS2 PES games. With the codes you can change the games 4:3 aspect ratio and make them play in native 16:9 ratio (not stretched!)

And also, if you have a powerfull pc the emulator can do magic things to the look of the graphic. I post the links here if you are interessted, (need to read a little into it):

In regards to @Hoshii ’s post if you have a modded PS2 (FMCB) you can put ps2rd on the memory card or something and it will allow you to use the raw cheats for PCSX2 on a real PS2. :)

Just saying ;3

Well two wrongs don't make it right. If both, the player and the CPU cheat, i guess then it's time to look for a other hobbie, lol. But why would you want to cheat in this game? What would you get out of cheating? It is kinda beyond me.. :THINK:

just asking ;x

I have 5 teams left to do and then i will begin. I am so looking forward to it. I have randomly changed the ML default’s ages so that means that some of them will be younger or older of course. Will Zammenof (spelling) be a teenager and finally get some game time?...

@geeeeee That sounds like a great option file you've made there, it's very rewarding when you can finally see the end in sight isn't it :) I think you'll find Zamenhof has a clause in his contract that he is not allowed to play. Something about having a tickly cough and having to spend large amounts of his time in warm climates.

Look forward to seeing how you get on with your ML save.

Slightly off topic I'm generally not a fan of new stadiums but I saw a video of your new stadium and it looks really impressive. Nice to see they kept it close to the pitch too.

@geeeeee I'm going to do some basic editing before starting my own PS2 PES2008 ML over Xmas. I've been playing a few friendlies and tournaments and I'm very impressed with the gameplay and the player individuality.

I think I'll start ML with transfers set to 'high' as I really don't like how few offers you get in PS2 era PES (although I never played PES2008 originally).

Are you going for a normal ML set up or an edited super league type format?

Well two wrongs don't make it right. If both, the player and the CPU cheat, i guess then it's time to look for a other hobbie, lol. But why would you want to cheat in this game? What would you get out of cheating? It is kinda beyond me.. :THINK:

just asking ;x
I meant the 16:9 widescreen code. :P

@geeeeee That sounds like a great option file you've made there, it's very rewarding when you can finally see the end in sight isn't it :) I think you'll find Zamenhof has a clause in his contract that he is not allowed to play. Something about having a tickly cough and having to spend large amounts of his time in warm climates.

Look forward to seeing how you get on with your ML save.

Slightly off topic I'm generally not a fan of new stadiums but I saw a video of your new stadium and it looks really impressive. Nice to see they kept it close to the pitch too.

Yes it is rewarding although it will not be completely finished when I start my ML but the teams that will be included will be complete. I will have two option files, one for my ML and one that I will continue to update until it is completely finished and then I will start again. Of course there is the transfer window approaching that adds another spanner into the works.

Yes the stadium looks good but I just hope that Poch stays for a few more seasons before deciding to go to a bigger club which is inevitable.

I will try to persuade Zamenhof’s son to play at least once a season in the summer.

@geeeeee I'm going to do some basic editing before starting my own PS2 PES2008 ML over Xmas. I've been playing a few friendlies and tournaments and I'm very impressed with the gameplay and the player individuality.

I think I'll start ML with transfers set to 'high' as I really don't like how few offers you get in PS2 era PES (although I never played PES2008 originally).

Are you going for a normal ML set up or an edited super league type format?

The teams I will be using are...

Man City
Man Utd
Tottenham
Liverpool
Chelsea
Arsenal
Burnley
Everton
Leicester
Newcastle
Crystal Palace
Bournemouth
West Ham
Watford
Brighton
Huddersfield

Canvey Eagles (me)
Southampton
Swansea
Stoke
West Brom
Wolves
Cardiff
Fulham

PSG
Monaco
Lyon
Marsielle
Rennes
Bordeaux
St Etienne
Nice
Juventus
Napoli
Roma
Inter Milan
Lazio
Milan
Atalanta
Fiorentina

PSV
Ajax
AZ Alkmaar
Feyenoord
Utrecht
Vitesse
ADO Den Haag
Heerenveen
Bayern Munich
Schalke 04
Hoffenheim
Borussia Dortmund
Bayer Leverkusen
RB Leipzig
VFB Stuttgart
Eintracht Frankfurt

Barcelona
Atletico Madrid
Real Madrid
Valencia
Villarreal
Real Betis
Sevilla
Getafe
Celtic
Rangers
Porto
Benfica
Galatasaray
Shakhtar Donestk
Lokomotiv Moscow
CSKA Moscow

Don’t forget to post your ML updates too :)

I like short shorts

The one and only time I fell out with Sir Alex was when he called me into his office and told me I should think about cover for the front two. I told him we had Saha fighting fit on the bench plus the new lad Manucho. We’d be fine.

“No. I mean that front two”, he said, pointing at my rude box. Shine a light I thought, not the shorts again. I was a man in my forties who happened to have a cracking pair of pins. Would he have told Daisy Duke to cover up in the same way? No. This was sexism.

He said there was too much Mike Phelan on show - with little left to the imagination about ‘Little Micky’ too. I told him I wasn’t budging (I couldn't in those shorts) and he could like it or lump it. He may have been the boss of Manchester United and for good reason, but I was the boss of my pants.

Last edited:
I am discovering more and more than Konami are like ‘Dungeon Master’ with their ‘Riddles’ and ‘Tricks’.

So I have been able to get the player’s salary to a realistic value. But I noticed that Son (Spurs) was on 350, so I copied over a different player like i have done with everyone else. He still shows up as 350. So checked South Korea nationals and they are all 350, so are Japn all 350. Why? Konami Why? :BRICK:

It is certainly not a game breaker but why would they do that? I am sure that if I changed his nationality to something else his salary would rise. Hmm... maybe I should change all Japanese and South Korean to No Nationality that would make their salary increase. But then it still would not be releastic which is what I am trying to achieve.

@miguelfcp yeh you are right i remember playing years ago and buying cheap Japanese and South Korean players. I never thought about it back then though. I just changed one player from Japan to England and his salary went up to 900. I am tempted to change them all but that’s another few hours work.

I just had a couple of games of my WC and the cpu had decided to become aggressive again and chasing me down all over the park, winning every loose ball etc...

It’s strange how i lost to Denmark 4-1 a few days ago and it felt so good because they literally out played me and it was well paced. But then i draw 1-1 but like it was such a chore because there was pressure from every where. Hmm... how to stop that? Maybe in PES editor and change aggression...

@geeeeee: I think the 'aggression' stat is only about how often the players attack the space without the ball on offense (modern-day Ronaldo is a great example of this). I don't have the Retro-PES Bible with me (PES5 Guide :DD) but I think that is what it means.
Maybe it's got something to do with Mentality and/or Teamwork?

@miguelfcp i meant the one for the team itself not the players. In the ingame editor you only have the Stragedy option of Line Height A, B, or C and Offside Trap A, B, C. But in PES editor you can edit Aggression too or Team Press can’t remember what it’s called.

Check out the spoiler in post 2 of this thread...it’s Zone Press

Team Tactics for PES5/WE9LE

Last edited:
@geeeeee That's interesting about the Japan/Korean nationality - I wonder how far Konami have taken that? What happens to his salary if you change his nationality to let's say Canadian. I never ever gave it a thought that they might have had the nationality effect the ML salary as well. Never mind Ranieri, it's Konami who were the original Tinkermen!

Hopefully Pochettino will stay with you a while yet, I'm sure Levy will play hardball with United if they attempt to buy him out of his contract. Hopefully it won't come to that, nothing worse than when you have a manager who was really well liked and done well for the club and then it all goes sour when they leave (I'm looking at you Mr Redknapp!)

Recently I got back to a ML save on PES2011 PSP that I've been playing on and off for more than a year now. I'm doing the Deplorables Challenge of our ML Scenario Vault...:

The Deplorables Challenge: This is my favourite of them all. I’ve done countless Deplorables challenges in the past and every single one of those saves is among my all-time favourites.

Step 1 – Go to Edit Mode and search every club in the database. Choose a max. of 3 players from each team that you believe are not essential to them. You have to step in the shoes of the “manager” of each team to weed out whoever is not necessary for the present and future of the squad.

For example, Team A has 4 goalkeepers in their squad: two really good keepers, one decent and a 17-year old kid. You can’t pick any of the 2 best keepers (the supposedly first-choice and the second-choice for the role) but you also can’t pick the worst in the squad which is the young kid, because if you were manager of that team you wouldn’t want to give away your young players who’ll be good in the future. Therefore, you’ll pick the decent goalkeeper since he won’t be necessary to a team which already has two better choices and a prospect for the future.

I never choose players from teams who only have 3 goalkeepers, 4 centre-backs and 4 side-backs, 7 midfielders or 5 strikers. It’s a standard I came up with to ensure that team won’t really notice if I take their 5th best side-back or 7th best striker.
If a player fits these descriptions, add them to you list, your "pool" of prospects to choose from.

Step 2 – Depending on which PES game you’re using, after scanning the entire database you’ll have many players on your list:
EASY MODE: Pick whatever players you want for your created team. You’re bound to have a quality squad if you pay attention to “deplorables” from the best teams of the world, some of those clubs have a tendency to accumulate too many good players in their rosters.
After you start your save, you're free to buy/sell players at your will.
HARD MODE: Set limits of player attributes to your chosen players. I usually use a rule of not picking Centre-Backs nor Keepers with +75 defense attribute, also nor strikers with more than 75 attack stat. Make up your own rules, the stricter they are, the harder the setting you chose for this challenge.
HARDEST MODE: My favourite. This is Kings Mode within the Deplorables Challenge: can’t buy or sell players ever, so you have to stick with your Deplorables from day one to the end. You can only renew or terminate/let expire contracts and loan-out players.

Step 3 – Create your club and choose the players you’ll take on your journey. Depending on whether you’re on Easy, Hard or Hardest Mode you need to make some decisions: if you’re on Hardest, given you’ll keep your roster until the end of the save it’s wise to choose a lot of young players; but you’ll have to find some balance and choose some more experienced players too if you want to have short-term success as well (crucial to climb out of D2 quickly). That balance is going to be key to define the level of success of your team over the years, so I advise you to take some time to carefully analyze the problem.

(I'm playing it on the Hardest Mode)

Season 1
5tlwfZJ.png

Season 2
HjjtDg0.png

Season 3
CLQWTdC.png

Season 4
b3EEnXo.png

Season 5
Y5s737u.png

After a great first season in which we got promoted from the D2 rightaway, our life in the D1 league has been far from easy. We were able to escape the bottom of the league from the start and slowly managed to establish ourselves as a Top-4 team in this kind of european superleague; however, we're struggling to reach the necessary level of quality that would permit us to fight for the title. We've been improving every year points-wise and as our roster is plateauing, I haven't yet understood whether we'll be able to keep on improving and eventually reach the 80 league points that would certainly be enough to fight for the D1 title.

Furthermore, we haven't yet conquered any silverware besides the D2 League, and the time is now to do it - or else, in just 2/3 years most of our players will be +30-years old and will stop improving their stats, hindering our chances at conquering anything really.

I'm midway onto S6 right now and while our participation on the league has been a bit disappointing, we're still on the D1 Cup and have clinched a spot on the Round of 16 of the CL for the 2nd year in a row, in our only second participation in this competition.

Miscellaneous

• A 4-3 win over AEK Athens on Season 3 in which I finished the match with 4 red cards!
  • On Season 5 we got our first Champions League participation and qualified for the round of 16, but then we lost against Manchester United. In that year, our league's Shakhtar won the competition!
  • Only once (S5) we were able to win the first elimination round of our domestic Cup, but we haven't won it so far.

Back
Top Bottom