The official Beijing Olympics Thread

Cowboy, Your IPOD should be sent to

The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20500

if your prefer send it by missile
pls use 38°53'23.99" N 77°00'32.42" W

Always silver medal for France :(.
I really hope the handball team to change this curse.
Our leaders are terrible, our only chances now are miracle from new athlets.

Yeah !!!! Another silver medal for France !!! Sadness....

edit : 5 minutes later, guess what : another one :D.

Last edited:
Last edited:

"So, apparently, even after seven years, President George W. Bush still hasn't learned how to correctly display the American flag. Glorious. We still have to pay him a salary."

:LOL: It will still out do 2012...

yeh because we are crap at fireworks, flypasts and things like that?

NOT.

London's New Years Eve celebrations came top in a recent poll.

We won't spend as much money but we don't have anything to prove to the world as much as China does.

Can't beat the Bird's Nest on Architectual merit however. Our stadium is I'm afraid to say, going to look piss poor compared tot that.

Phelps. What a fucking torpedo.

It's impressive how the american team broke the seven minute barrier in the 4x200m freestyle relay, they didn't give the other teams a chance. Woah.

at least this wont happen in london

Beijing Police Detain, Rough Up Journalist

As Beijing police were scrambling this afternoon to whisk away the latest group of Free Tibet protesters near the Olympic Park, they also detained and roughed up a British journalist attempting to cover the demonstration.

"I was shouting, 'I'm a British journalist," said John Ray, a correspondent for Britain's Independent Television News. Police weren't listening as they dragged Ray into the back of a nearby restaurant to get him out of the view of a crowd of passersby and later bundled him into a police van. "It was very forceful, very rough," Ray said later.

The incident is the latest example of a foreign journalist being blocked from reporting in China, despite government and Olympic official promises the media would be free to operate in the country during the Games. Several journalists attempting to cover small protests that have been staged around the city have been harassed, photographed by plainclothes officers and manhandled.

Ray's Olympic credentials were in his pocket, but he could not reach them because police had pinned his arms behind him, "one guy holding each arm," he described. The officers pulled off Ray's shoes and, when his captors briefly relaxed their grip on his arms and Ray tried to struggle away, they kicked his legs to trip him up, the floor already slippery in his socks.

"I kept asking why they were doing this," Ray said.

Five or six officers then "frogmarched" Ray to a police van, he said, and pushed him in, throwing in a yellow cloth behind him before they slammed the doors. His hands now free, Ray fished out his Olympic credentials from his pocket. "One officer asked me in English what were my views of Tibet," Ray said. "I told him I was a journalist and didn't have any views."

He showed the officer his credentials and, after about 20 minutes, Ray was released. "One of our Chinese staff asked why they arrested me and an officer said, 'Didn't you see? He tried to unfurl that banner,'" pointing to the yellow cloth they had thrown into the van.

"That is categorically untrue," Ray said. "I was there merely to report, not to take part in anything. I didn't have a banner. I didn't have a t-shirt. I was wearing pretty standard foreign correspondent garb."

The information office of the Beijing Public Security Bureau did not respond to questions about Ray's detention. It instead released a statement about the protest, saying eight foreigners who were "conducting activities against Chinese law" were stopped by police on patrol. It said police would cancel their tourist visas and accompany them until they left the country.

The protest was the latest action organized by Students for a Free Tibet, which has succeeded in staging a number of small-scale demonstrations in Beijing, despite ultra-tight security. Two activists unfurled a "Free Tibet" banner on a pedestrian overpass near the Chinese Ethnic Culture Park, while five other activists blockaded the entrance to the park by chaining themselves to a line of bicycles.

"The Chinese government is actively waging an Olympics propaganda campaign to showcase Tibet as legitimately theirs and Tibetans as happy under Chinese rule, but the reality is much different," said Lhadon Tethong, executive director of Students for a Free Tibet. "While Tibetan song and dance is on display in Beijing, in Tibet, our culture is under siege and our people are being forcibly kept from speaking out about their repression at the hands of the Chinese authorities."

Doug Herman, a Tibet activist who witnessed the protest, said security officials immediately surrounded and handcuffed the two protesters on the bridge. The activists chained to the bicycles were able to continue their demonstration for about 10 minutes before police vans raced to the scene and pulled them away. Herman said he did not witness how the police were able to separate the protesters from the bicycles because he and other onlookers moved away quickly because the police began photographing everyone in the crowd and detained at least three people who had not been involved in the protest.

Seven of the eight protesters were American and one was a Tibetan-Japanese woman who lives in the U.K. Tethong said she had not heard from any of the protesters and their whereabouts are unknown.

Washington Post correspondent Maureen Fan contributed to this post.

Whatever happen to Ian "Torpedo" Thorpe?

@ the suits I'm not against it, but to compare with off-pool things such as nutritionist etc is not exactly right too.

Isn't one of the points: "that no matter what the guy had off-Olympics when you are there all are suppose to have the same chances?"
I know its bollocks and I don't believe it but this suit go against it

No I'm serious, shockingly bad taste in this day and age, absolutely no excuse at all to not know and understand that it is essentially a racist action on their part, maybe if you're a 7 year old kid you know no better, although personally any kids I have will learn from the youngest age possible that racism in any form is a despicable human character trait that should never be condoned.

No I'm serious, shockingly bad taste in this day and age, absolutely no excuse at all to not know and understand that it is essentially a racist action on their part, maybe if you're a 7 year old kid you know no better, although personally any kids I have will learn from the youngest age possible that racism in any form is a despicable human character trait that should never be condoned.

No news is bad news, imo it's look like a slapstick rather tham racism. At least in that picture, I ain't taste any offensive message.

US swimmer Michael Phelps made history yesterday when he scooped a record-breaking 11th Olympic gold medal. He has now topped the podium five times in Beijing. After his latest victory, he revealed the secret behind his six-days-a-week, five-hours-a-day training regime: an extraordinary 12,000-calorie daily diet, six times the intake of a normal adult male. This is a typical day:

Breakfast

Phelps kick starts his day and his metabolism with three fried-egg sandwiches, but with a few customised additions: cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and, of course, mayonnaise.

Amuse-bouche out of the way, he throws back two cups of coffee and sits down to an omelette - containing five eggs - and a bowl of grits, a porridge of coarsely ground corn. He's not finished yet. Bring on the three slices of French toast, with powdered sugar on top to make sure there's no skimping on the calories. And to finish: three chocolate chip pancakes.

Lunch

With breakfast wearing off and the hunger pangs biting, Phelps downs half a kilogram - ie a whole packet - of enriched pasta and two large ham and cheese sandwiches. On white bread with loads of mayo on top. To remove any chance that his body will run out of fuel, he washes this down with about 1,000 calories of energy drink.

Dinner

Time to load up on carbs for the next day's training. Another half kilo of enriched pasta goes down the hatch with a chaser of an entire pizza and another 1,000 calories of energy drinks. And so to bed. As Phelps told US television channel NBC yesterday: "Eat, sleep and swim, that's all I can do."

He eats a lot.

oh yeah i agree, i thought your sarcasm was that it wasnt shocking comming from spain, cause we have seen this before

Back
Top Bottom