The official Beijing Olympics Thread

No news is bad news, imo it's look like a slapstick rather tham racism. At least in that picture, I ain't taste any offensive message.

are you sure your not spanish? trust me mate, there are plenty of people who take offense to this. As Jason Kidd said, if the USA basketball team did this, they would have been kicked out of the olympics.

then i must be racist too, coz i really can't find anything offensive or discriminatory in that pic :SS

and bwt guys, let's cut it off with this bullshits about spanish people being racist. it's ridiculous to associate 46 millions people with racism just coz of a stupid platitude.
actually it's not just "ridiculous... it's racist. putting an offensive tag over millions of people we don't even know.

there's no shame in having asian style eyes, so i can't really see why using your fingers to make your eyes look asian should be considered offensive or racist.

i never heard the word racism associated to british people..... nontheless there are some serious thick-headed racists in this forum....

i don't know how many of u lived in spain for a while, or how many of u really know spanish culture. as for me, i lived in spain more than 1 year, and i can say i met nice, open minded, and warm people... as well as stupid, shortsighted racist people.
and i experienced the same meltin pot in france, portugal, italy, germany, usa, libanum, jordania, siria, ireland, greece, tunisia, egypt etc....

i haven't been in england for enough time to properly talk about british people, but by my friends's experience, and by looking at this forum, i guess in UK too there are some open minded people aswell as some stupid racists.

oh, and i'm not spanish, btw :DD

Last edited:
are you sure your not spanish? trust me mate, there are plenty of people who take offense to this. As Jason Kidd said, if the USA basketball team did this, they would have been kicked out of the olympics.

Im not a Spanish, apparently it's a stupid idea of taking that picture, and I agree with u if USA did that way they would made big trouble. I am just saying imo it is barely acceptable but simply stupid.

and bwt guys, let's cut it off with this bullshits about spanish people being racist. it's ridiculous to associate 46 millions people with racism just coz of a stupid platitude.

This basketball thing.
Monkey chants at La Liga matches towards black players.
Luis Aragonés' comment about Henry.
Racist abuse towards Lewis Hamilton from Spanish F1 "fans".

It's not just isolated incidents.

This basketball thing.

i agree, and the worse part, is that lo zio, you accept it as well, jsut like the spaniards. they dont see it. You dont either. Im not calling you racist. BUt it seems spain openley accepts this. This behaviour is derogatory, its a stereotype(not all Chinese or asians have slanted eyes), seriously this isnt being politically correct(which i think your getting at) its bad taste, and offensive.

This basketball thing.

mate, may i give u a sincere advice?
DO NEVER base your opinions just on what u read on newspapers or saw on tv.... NEVER. coz when u do it, most of the times u'll end saying something wrong and stupid.

i've been at the riazor, at the nou camp, at the romareda at the Sánchez Pizjuán and i saw those people doing those horribles "boo".
but u know what.... they don't do the same thing for the black players who play for their team, they support them.
and do u wanna know something even more interesting? i saw some black guys doing those "boo" too!!!!!
if u would have seen what i saw, u wouldn't take those chants as a racism example, coz u would know they aren't.
those chants are an example of lack of sportsmanship, fair play, are an evident show of rudeness (as most of the chants are).
when u see a monkey blaming another monkey for being a monkey, then u can't talk about discrimination, u can just talk about stupidity.
they're like those stupid teenagers who think violence is fun, who think gangsters are cool. "yeah 50 cent is cool! he's a gangsta!".... but if u'd give a gun to them, most of em would reply "wtf, are u crazy man! u would never use a gun!"
they are not criminals (even if they like to look like them)... they're just stupids.
u might ask to those black guys at la romareda, who sing those monkey chants against their team's black opponent players "how can u do this, when you yourself are black? don't u find it humiliating?"
they will tell u (and i know it coz that's what they told ME) it doesn't matter, that this has nothing to do wth racism, that their only purpose is to bring down their opponents...." if they would be white, then we would find another way to attack them... their religion, their haircuts, or any other thing.

so that's not racism, that's stupidity. it's not really better, and it doesn't mean they're not brainless idiots, of course. it doesn't mean they shouldn't be blamed for their offensive stupid attitude.....
but we must know what is what, and this is not racism coz a racist would do the same things against his club's black players.

anyway Placebo, as i said earlier, don't base your opinion on what u read on newspapers, coz newspapers never issue "good news".
u won't ever see a bbc journalist saying "breaking news, mr. Placebo is a civilized citizen who respect the law and acts properly".
the only englishmen (who aren't famous, as hamilton, or rowan atkinson), the so called "normal people" become "newspaper-worthy stuff" just when they do something bad.
I never heard on the news "british fans followed their team in italy and everything was ok, they didn't get drunk, they didn't cause any trouble, and showed respect for their hosts"... this stuff would never end on a newspaper..... british fan become newspaper-worthy stuff, just when they cause troubles.....
but still no reasonable person would ever think that british fans are all like animals.

if i would base my opinion about the italians just on what i read on newspapers, then i should think they're all lazy gangsters with moustaches with a gun in an hand and a pizza in the other hand.

if i would base my opinion about americans just on what tv programs show, then i should think they're all fat stupid ignorants who don't even know where to find Roma on a world map.

and what about the british then? well they're all violent hooligans or polite gentlemen with a bowler on their head and a cup of tea.

saying that italians are dangerous, that americans are ignorants or that spanish are racist..... theese are all stereotypes, stupid preconceptions who usually come out of the mouths of people who don't know what they're talking about.

u are saying that 46 millions people have some racism issues just coz of what u saw on the newspapers, and the funniest thing is that u don't even realise U are showing a racist attitude right now by using such a stupid generalization.
u say that theese cases are not isolated... how can u say that? how much do u know spain? have u ever lived there? for how much?
if u can base an opinion on a whole country, just by looking at their fans, then what shall we say about british people? Shall we judge british people too, just by looking at british fans attitude???? would that be a reliable judgement? does the british fans really represent a reliable image of the whole britain???

france is one of the greatests melting pot in europe (i mean, just take a look at their football national team).... nontheless they have some serious racism issues, when it comes to talk about french football fans...... shall we say french are racists too?
that would be ridiculous, of course.
so let's just talk about things we know, and let's stop repeating what we read on newspapers. u wanna have a proper opinion on spanish people? then talk to them, live with them.
otherwise, just say u don't know spain and spanish enough to have a reliable opinion. :));))

Gomito said:
i agree, and the worse part, is that lo zio, you accept it as well, jsut like the spaniards. they dont see it. You dont either. Im not calling you racist. BUt it seems spain openley accepts this. This behaviour is derogatory, its a stereotype(not all Chinese or asians have slanted eyes), seriously this isnt being politically correct(which i think your getting at) its bad taste, and offensive.

oh good Lord, Gomito, how can u say this is offensive? where is the offense? is having asian eyes something to be ashamed about????
if the italian football team would take a picture with an afro-style wig, to find a funny way to celebrate their partecipation to the south-africa world cup..... would u consider it racist too????
and what if the french or british olimpic team would take a picture wearing a blond wig and a fake blond beard to celebrate their partecipation to the olimpic games in norway (i'm just doing an example), would u consider it racist too?

do u really think that remarking the colour of our hair or the shape of our eyes is offensive or derogatory???
why?? please tell me, why should an asian feel offended by that pic.

racism is not in any generalization. racism is just in the offensive generalizations.
if i say that africans are black i'm not saying anything offensive, anything racist. it's a generalisation, as most of the africans are black, but not all of em..... but for God sake, being black is not offensive, and saying someone is black isn't offensive either.
if i would say that black people are monkeys, then i would be a racist.

our body features can't be considered as something to be ashamed of. and remarking the italian's african's, american's or chinese's body features cannot be considered as offensive or derogatory.

i'll tell u something more; if we think that pic is offensive, then WE are the ones who have some racism issues, because we see something derogatory, while there isn't.

and however claming racism as a spanish habit, that is definitely offensive, that is definitely a generalization. that definitely racist. and it's really weird that a smart, open minded person (as u are:))) don't realise it.

there is a threshold between anti-racism attitude and sanctimonious. if we don't keep in our mind this threshold soon we won't be able to talk each other anymore coz every word we'll use might be considered offensive or derogatory.

sorry for this long off topic.

It's Racist, full stop.

Of course not all Spanish are Racists - But When Racist things happen and the Government doesn't do anything about it. It shows that they think it is acceptable.

Like the football clubs not giving harsh punishment to people who are Racist and do Monkey noises to black players.

It is all the same - When Spain starts punishing people/football clubs etc properly and taking it seriously - then the people there are going to be more accepting of it.

Aragones still thinks he did nothing wrong and Reyes too. Its a different mentality.

The Basketball team standing there doing 'Slitty' eyes is just as offensive as if the Games were in Africa and they all wore Monkey suits.

It is Racism - no matter how you look at it.

It's Racist, full stop.

Of course not all Spanish are Racists - But When Racist things happen and the Government doesn't do anything about it. It shows that they think it is acceptable.

Like the football clubs not giving harsh punishment to people who are Racist and do Monkey noises to black players.

It is all the same - When Spain starts punishing people/football clubs etc properly and taking it seriously - then the people there are going to be more accepting of it.

Aragones still thinks he did nothing wrong and Reyes too. Its a different mentality.

The Basketball team standing there doing 'Slitty' eyes is just as offensive as if the Games were in Africa and they all wore Monkey suits.

It is Racism - no matter how you look at it.

Agree 100%

Lo Zio your apologist attempt at a post is not even worth bothering with.

i see. so in your opinion, remarking someone has asian-style eyes, is like saying he's a monkey.

ok then, i guess i am racist :LOL:

Placebo, actually i wasn't trying to defend the spanish, i was remarking U were showing a racist attitude.

but however it doesn't matter, we all made our points and i can see u would never be able to understand what i'm talking about, so let's end this off topic... and let's hope those bastards, racist spanish basket players won't win a medal :LOL:

Last edited:
i see. so in your opinion, remarking someone has asian-style eyes, is like saying he's a monkey.

ok then, i guess i a racist :LOL:

Were the Basketball team remarking that someone had Asian style eyes?

No they were doing it to take the micky out of Asian people and to try and be funny. - Its Racist.

I base my feelings on what the Race of people who are subjected to these sort of things feel. When the Spanish Basketball team were playing the Asian people were booing them, because they found it offensive.

If it is not offensive, then why are the Asian people offended by it?

This basketball thing.

These incidents are all sporting events. Apart from the Aragones comment, the rest are mostly done by idiots to distract or taunt the opposition. The Liga incidents were often to Eto'o - he was one of Barca's main threats. Hamilton was because of Alonso.

I'm not defending these people, theyre stupid, but theyre doing it not because theyre all racists, but because theyre stupid and want to win.

i was remarking U were showing a racist attitude.

Which is one of many flaws in your argument.

i can see u would never be able to understand what i'm talking about

I can easily see what you're talking about, which is why I didn't want to reply to your rambling post, but as you seem to want me to, what I can see from your comments is clear condoning of racism and clear hypocrisy.

According to your post, it's ok to do monkey chants towards other team's black players because it's stupid not racist.

Then you go on to say "if i would say that black people are monkeys, then i would be a racist." What do you think the monkey noises are about?

Make your mind up.

It's the same as in the 70s when the first black players came through in British football and inbred cunts at English matches threw bananas onto the pitch, embarrassing, shameful, inexcusable, but thankfully stamped out decades ago. And Spain in the 21st century still hasn't stamped out such activities, you see it occasionally in former Eastern bloc countries at matches, at least they almost have an excuse in that for decades they were shielded from the western world by the iron curtains of communism, what's the excuse from Spain? A rich educated country in the west.

These incidents are all sporting events. Apart from the Aragones comment, the rest are mostly done by idiots to distract or taunt the opposition. The Liga incidents were often to Eto'o - he was one of Barca's main threats. Hamilton was because of Alonso.

I'm not defending these people, theyre stupid, but theyre doing it not because theyre all racists, but because theyre stupid and want to win.

I think that they are all adults. to call them stupid is not right. They would have to have the mental age of about 3 years old.

But even then a 3 year old knows the difference between right and wrong.

All of the actions are premedetated.

As I said before it doesn't matter if the people are stupid or whatever - the government and teams and sporting bodies need to act and give harsh punishments to these people.

I think that they are all adults. to call them stupid is not right. They would have to have the mental age of about 3 years old.

But even then a 3 year old knows the difference between right and wrong.

All of the actions are premedetated.

As I said before it doesn't matter if the people are stupid or whatever - the government and teams and sporting bodies need to act and give harsh punishments to these people.

i don't think anybody would argue with that, mate. their attitude is indefensible.
and they definitely have to be punished. but not for being racist. they have to be punished for being stupids.
as i said earler, a black spanish guy who insults a black player for being black, can't be considered racist. it has to be considered a stupid moron.

being a stupid moron isn't better than being a racist.... but we have to know what is what.

it's like those stupid sanctimonious people who goes under stress when they talk to a black guy
"should i call u black? No wait, maybe that's not the most appropriate word. maybe coloured? no wait, maybe that's derogatory too. maybe i should call u not white"

if we don't see the threshold between being respectful and obtuse, then we'll start building walls all around us.

however, if u'll excuse me, now i guess i will go sue mr. mario bros, al pacino, marlon brando and the sopranos for "taking the mickey out" of italian people :-pp

i don't think anybody would argue with that, mate. their attitude is indefensible.
and they definitely have to be punished. but not for being racist. they have to be punished for being stupids.
as i said earler, a black spanish guy who insults a black player for being black, can't be considered racist. it has to be considered a stupid moron.

being a stupid moron isn't better than being a racist.... but we have to know what is what.

it's like those stupid sanctimonious people who goes under stress when they talk to a black guy
"should i call u black? No wait, maybe that's not the most appropriate word. maybe coloured? no wait, maybe that's derogatory too. maybe i should call u not white"

if we don't see the threshold between being respectful and obtuse, then we'll start building walls all around us.

however, if u'll excuse me, now i guess i will go sue mr. mario bros, al pacino, marlon brando and the sopranos for "taking the mickey out" of italian people :-pp
lo zio, you dont get it. I will respond later to the rest of your comments. But seriously many italians in america were very very offended by the sopranos(your italian but not american, so not sure if it was really about you). Basically genralizing all american-italians as mobsters and sociopaths. All italian kids as idiots, and italian women as vindictive, slutty whores, with too much makeup and attitudes. Its about generalizing. Alot of african americnas think calling another african america the nword is offensive, so i dont get your point. Just because your of the same race, does not make it right, two wrongs dont make a right. Im going on holiday, and i wouldnt mind discussing this with you further, i enjoy are talks.
having a positive conversation with you about this.

that's the point Gomito. it's silly, obtuse and shortsighted to feel offended by a fiction (as the sopranos).
if somebody really thinks the sopranos give a reliable image of italian people, then that guy doesn't deserve any attention.

however i always enjoy our talks too so there's no prob for me to go deeper in this issue... but i guess we should talk about this in another thread, as we're going way too much off topic now. :))

that's the point Gomito. it's silly, obtuse and shortsighted to feel offended by a fiction (as the sopranos).
if somebody really thinks the sopranos give a reliable image of italian people, then that guy doesn't deserve any attention.

however i always enjoy our talks too so there's no prob for me to go deeper in this issue... but i guess we should talk about this in another thread, as we're going way too much off topic now. :))

Ah this is nice - This is the way people with differing opinions should talk to eachother. :DD

Racism generates from a racial discrimination and coming with mostly White's inherent superiority toward colored people - Black, Asian, Indians etc.

I agree with one lo zio's point - racism should be considered by both side I mean if there is no distinct racial discrimination, it should be classfied as stupids otherwise it's racism.

Aisan style eyes usually considered as a bad taste of Asian immigrants in historical accumulation, while lo zio said 'is that a shame of having Asian style eyes?' However I think most Asian won't admit. Imo the best way of avoiding racism is kicking out the inherent superiority from any race especially white. But now white still control the power of the world therefore it's sounded like a joke, I guess that's why so many rich educated people is racist or hiding in a racism wrap and would reluctant taking off.

This is hypocrisy.

The Basketball thing: why are the english and americans so damn uptight?

Marca reminded that the americans did this at the 2006 championships in Japan:

1218698005_1.jpg

The military salute, which supposedly offended the people of Japan.

Again I ask, why? Because of something that happened 60 years ago? Wtf?

Everyone should listen to people like Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Lewis Black, and just chill.

If a group of oriental people made the opposite, and made their eyes round to poke a little fun at westerners, would any of you be offended by that? Jesus Christ.

1218698005_1.jpg

The military salute, which supposedly offended the people of Japan.

Again I ask, why? Because of something that happened 60 years ago? Wtf?

Everyone should listen to people like Bill Hicks, George Carlin, Lewis Black, and just chill.

If a group of oriental people made the opposite, and made their eyes round to poke a little fun at westerners, would any of you be offended by that? Jesus Christ.

I don't know about the salute thing so I won't comment.

But the Asian eye thing - is something that was turned into something Derogatory towards asian people. They were called 'Slitty Eyes' etc as a put down. This is like the word 'Nigger' it was ok to use until people started using it as a derogatory term towards black people.

If the Spanish players were in Africa and painted themselves black - would that be acceptable?

Look I do think political correctness has gone a bit mental these days - but there are certain lines that should not be crossed and certain things are offensive to certain cultures and Races - So these should not be used in my opinion and in my opinion is racist behaviour.

Even if the Spanish team didn't mean it to be offensive - they should have brains and realise that it would be offensive to people and not released the picture. So many people must have been involved in taking that picture and releasing it - that it amazes me that somebody didn't think?

Anyway to the olympics - Just saw Bolt in the 100metres :SHOCK: was amazing!!!!!!

Also I stayed up and watched Phelps - that was a great race!!!!

Also Adlington was fantastic she just blew everyone away!!! :DD

1218698005_1.jpg

Another set of idiots, the olympics have nothing to do with anything military, it's a stupid if not ill thought out and imature gesture.
They no doubt claim they are doing it to show there support to their fellow Americans involved in the various conflicts around the globe... :CONF:

Unless someone chinese comes out and says he's offended by the eyes thing the spanish did, it's just nonsense.

they have been booing the spanish team when they play - Does that show they are offended? I think it does.

they have been booing the spanish team when they play - Does that show they are offended? I think it does.

I wanted to see the USA vs Spain game, but it wasn't broadcasted here. :(

In that case, sure, they might be offended. But no one will convince me the Spanish players had racist thoughts in their minds at the time that photo was taken, It might even have been the photographers idea.

Anyway, for something completely different, some german olympic athletes:

Edit: You can see them here: http://www.sport.es/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=44&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=535506&idseccio_PK=1114

There are nipples. ^^ :)

Last edited:
I wanted to see the USA vs Spain game, but it wasn't broadcasted here. :(

In that case, sure, they might be offended. But no one will convince me the Spanish players had racist thoughts in their minds at the time that photo was taken, It might even have been the photographers idea.

Anyway, for something completely different, some german olympic athletes:

VERY NICE, but nipples are a no no on here... Unfortunately.. ;))

Back
Top Bottom