The 'Become A Legend' Discussion Thread

To people saying about playing for a worse club being the reason for the shit AI:

I was subbed on against Tottenham (who are a good team in PES) for my debut, and in the 45 minutes I played, I got man of the match. That shows that the game is flawed - being able to get man of the match with shite attributes for your player, in a bad team, WITHOUT DOING ANYTHING!
All I got to do was hang around the midfield and play the odd simple pass, nothing more, nothing less.

The rating system gave me 7.0 or 7.5 for doing nothing much in 45 minutes, and this rating system I presume is the same system which decides whether you're in or out of the team and the amount of XP you get, making it way too easy.

So there isn't just a problem with the teammates, there is also a problem with the opposition AI and the rating system. When I was on the ball I was allowed to just jog around with no pressure put on me, with them leaving passing lanes available all the time.

Also, playing Tottenham in a proper first team league match felt no different to when I was playing in the pratice matches, they didn't play a different style or anything, when I have watched some other teams from the bench they all play the same. Every player can pass inch-perfectly and none of the defenders can mark properly.
There's no realistic variation in the gameplay in BAL, the only differences between players seem to be that some are faster/stronger, and some can shoot better.

As I said before - even though I am at Hull, and should expect worse service than at a big club, these players are real-life professionals and the game should be trying to replicate how they would behave in real life - they just don't at all.

If I was at a League 2 club and had players ignoring you/running into opponents and losing posession then I would understand, as they are not good players and games should be scrappy. Oh sorry, I forgot that PES doesn't even have lower leagues and you start your career in the top division :II.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, BAL is the most immersive game (mode) since Football Manager.

And Chris, for the moment i'm also playing only against the first team of Grenoble...i'm simply not good enough...it's not a bug...i just keep on trying...it's an enormous challenge. I'm hooked. Perhaps it helps that i'm well aware that i'm not good at games...i always played games in a sort of Zen-like manner...i just want to get better, no matter the results. That's why i never tried online play...i honestly don't care wheter i'm the best or the wost player of the world.

But to b honest, i couldn't express myself better than Pboreham's post.

One thing I think BAL lacks is a Free Practice mode like you have in Master League, except just you - no teammates.

You could practice dribbling, shooting, FKs etc on your own. My guy is so pants that I could do with a bit of free time just to work out what he can and can't do.

The rating system has been the same since i played pes4.
If you just have good passes and complete them well you get a high mark.
Or if you dont get the ball you can do nothing wrong...

Have you had a crack at BAL yet Soul?

spooky9vq2.jpg

I'm glad I don't owe Spooky money. ;)

The rating system has been the same since i played pes4.
If you just have good passes and complete them well you get a high mark.
Or if you dont get the ball you can do nothing wrong...
Surely with the introduction of a mode which relies upon your player only, and how they play, they should have made sure that your quality of performance and affect on the outcome of a match were reflected in your match rating?

Yet they kept with the flawed rating system from about 5 years ago to be a part of a new mode in which it plays an integral part as to whether you're in or out the team, or attract interest from bigger clubs, or get called up to the national side etc.

I'm sorry Rob, but when i read your post i think i play an entirely different game...i think you are not critical enough towards your own performances.

As for MOTM with only 45 minutes played: that is possible, but of course i didn't play your match...so it's not up to me to comment on it...

Surely with the introduction of a mode which relies upon your player only, and how they play, they should have made sure that your quality of performance and affect on the outcome of a match were reflected in your match rating?

Yet they kept with the flawed rating system from about 5 years ago to be a part of a new mode in which it plays an integral part as to whether you're in or out the team, or attract interest from bigger clubs, or get called up to the national side etc.

I dont know why you bother with this game Rob92.

I have read your posts slagging the game off pre demo, during demo after release and now your slagging off the indvidual modes in the game (esp if someone posts anything positive towards the game)

If you hate it as much as you say you do why bother playing the game?
are you a self harmer? and why do you feel the need to post negative after negative posts in the PES topics?

I think you like the sound of your own "voice" too much mate.

I dont know why you bother with this game Rob92.
I decided I would give it a chance, to see if it would impress me and my doubts pre-release would all have been wrong. Unfortunately I was right about most of the things I didn't like from the videos/info, they were in the game...

I have read your posts slagging the game off pre demo, during demo after release and now your slagging off the indvidual modes in the game (esp if someone posts anything positive towards the game)
I'm not slagging off the mode, BAL is a good mode and the way it's set out is good.
What I am criticising though is the one-dimensional gameplay and the very basic/flawed AI and rating system.

If you hate it as much as you say you do why bother playing the game?
I was just giving it a chance, you may be happy to know that I won't be playing PES 09 much at all now...

are you a self harmer?
No, what relevance does that have to the topic?

and why do you feel the need to post negative after negative posts in the PES topics?
I obviously decided I wanted to discuss the game, and sorry, but the name of the forum isn't "Pro Evolution Soccer - Xbox 360, PS3 Lovefest forum". My negative comments always have reasoning anyway.

I think you like the sound of your own "voice" too much mate.
It's not a voice, it's text on a forum :TU:

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided I would give it a chance, to see if it would impress me and my doubts pre-release would all have been wrong. Unfortunately I was right about most of the things I didn't like from the videos/info, they were in the game...

I'm not slagging off the mode, BAL is a good mode and the way it's set out is good.
What I am criticising though is the one-dimensional gameplay and the very basic/flawed AI and rating system.

I was just giving it a chance, you may be happy to know that I won't be playing PES 09 much at all now...

No, what relevance does that have to the topic?

I obviously decided I wanted to discuss the game, and sorry, but the name of the forum isn't "Pro Evolution Soccer - Xbox 360, PS3 Lovefest forum". My negative comments always have reasoning anyway.

It's not a voice, it's text on a forum :TU:

"Voice"

I have just realised that you are a waste of my time.

I know, I wasn't being serious with that last comment, just messing :PP. If you want a proper reply to it, I'm not that sort of person to like the sound of my own voice anyway ;)).

I notice how you ignored the rest of the post though.

to get past player when my stats are 73 speed and 70 accelleration and 60 dribble.acc , i dont run much and just at a slow pace fake left then right and continuasly to put defender on wrong foot ,but only works if you can turn and face him after your first tough so you have to receive ball in space and then shimmmy left and right untill get near box and then they start to dive in and make challenges , take shots quickly when you get the ball near the box, it works for me ,

1st season scored about 7 goals and played in champions league , uefa cup and got to semis of the league cup , play for real betis and am at 3/4 way through first season , and stats have improved by 5 whole points!!!! , were i strengthen i.e 6 blocks each for technique kicking and power i am a CF , choose a team that is in a european cup so you get double the matches in a season , i play all the matches , mostly and am the main striker , the coach rests me for big games if i we got cup game coming up and relies on me a alot, keep our hand on L1 if not got ball to stay onside and drible alot of distance and kep your passes short and neat , alway get a 6 rating atleast and always best player on pitch , got ten man of match.

checked my growth curve and it says i will just reach under 95 at my peak and it will be at about 25 , my growth curve is going higher / better than expected at this age.

played ok in another one of my BAL seasons and found that cuz i got 6 in scout game i will just about get high 80's in groth curve and started with only agility 83 as good stat and agression , how do you get you shot to be good or speed at starting scout game , ??

advice for any one when you start play your fist scout game a few times and wait for your stats to be good , if crap start again as you will have created player saved from just before BAL mode. do this untill get decent stats . some people have said they start with 80's etc at speed or stamina , i was good in match and got 8 rating and alot of shots on target but still did not get better shot or speed tried twice ,i am CF, best i got as 73 stamina 83 aggresion and 71 dribble speed and jump 71 for scoring header , did any one who scored a shot get sick stats for shooting after scout game?????

Hi, can anyone help. How do you check your future development curve. The only curve I can find only shows my current growth also what does the red dot on the graph mean

Thanks

At what age are you lot being called up to International sqauds...i got called up by Cappello 9 weeks into my 3rd season

does anyone else get the feeling that your fellow team-mates don't particularly like you?

sometimes i don't get a touch for ages, with my own team preferring to kick the ball to touch than give it to me.

maybe its my face...

Last edited:
:D

Try wearing the shirt over your face :D

I'm surprised that you aren't a great 1 on 1 player - I imagine that the defenders would run from you in no time ;)

Fantastic face above!! I got some questions about BAL mode...
Firstly, I'm from UK but currently living in US- i have PES pre-ordered for Nov. 11th!!! I couldve got it from shipped over but wouldve cost me double the price...anyways I thought I could wait but reading all this it's killing me..I wanna play it!

I've loved reading all the posts- keep them coming! Do you have to sit through a whole game if you're on the bench or is there some sort of fast forward? Also, I will be looking to play for Wales, my homeland! Maybe I'll be able to break into that squad pretty quickly?!

Another question I had..do they have full leagues? I think the last time i played it was PES4 on the PC (absolutely loved it) but master league only had 10 or 12 teams? so even with editing you couldn't have a proper league- from what it seems with this one they do have all teams- hope i'm correct?

I'm sittin in work, bored off my tits, entertaining myself reading these BAL stories! Bring on Nov 11th!! Everyone will be finishing their careers- some people with their 2nd/3rd player by the sounds of it(!) by the time i get the game!!

Ok well I know this is a Post for peoples BAL experiences so I will post mine so far and then I'd like to know some tips because my career is more than pathetic atm. Anyhoo here goes.

I made an AMF player on regular difficulty and signed for Hull, pld over a season and never made the bench one and scored once..(1st trainin match I ever played).

I read about all the stories on here so I thought I couldn't be doin summut right so I made a new player, an SS this on time Top Player difficulty and signed for WBA (West Midlands Strpes). Started training and learning what was needed, learning my trade you could say and eventually made the bench! I scored in 2 consequtive trainin matches and it got me in. After that I had a few appearences then got put back in trainin, made bench after a while again from scorin in 2 consequtive maches, had a few appearences and back to trainin...

So it was frustrating. Then I started to play differently (calling for the ball more, sprinting less) and I made the bench again. Since then I've played that way and have kept my place on the bench, even got a super sub achievement so I knew I was doing something right.

My problem is and it could be down to the team I'm in I guess is that for the life of me I cannot score, I've had maybe 2 chances and a header that missed by inches after a nice give and go. So it seems I've got the idea of how to keep my place on the bench (halfway through second season, FINALLY! lol), but the lack of goals (none) on the big stage is frustrating.

Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of goals or do we just play and hope we get lucky. If thats the case though I'm a bit worried about how my career is gonna progress as I'm stuck in limbo somewhat.

All tips greatly appreciated. I am loving the mode, but I don't want to be a 35 yr old player with no goals or accolades to his name.

Cheers!

Ok well I know this is a Post for peoples BAL experiences so I will post mine so far and then I'd like to know some tips because my career is more than pathetic atm. Anyhoo here goes.

I made an AMF player on regular difficulty and signed for Hull, pld over a season and never made the bench one and scored once..(1st trainin match I ever played).

I read about all the stories on here so I thought I couldn't be doin summut right so I made a new player, an SS this on time Top Player difficulty and signed for WBA (West Midlands Strpes). Started training and learning what was needed, learning my trade you could say and eventually made the bench! I scored in 2 consequtive trainin matches and it got me in. After that I had a few appearences then got put back in trainin, made bench after a while again from scorin in 2 consequtive maches, had a few appearences and back to trainin...

So it was frustrating. Then I started to play differently (calling for the ball more, sprinting less) and I made the bench again. Since then I've played that way and have kept my place on the bench, even got a super sub achievement so I knew I was doing something right.

My problem is and it could be down to the team I'm in I guess is that for the life of me I cannot score, I've had maybe 2 chances and a header that missed by inches after a nice give and go. So it seems I've got the idea of how to keep my place on the bench (halfway through second season, FINALLY! lol), but the lack of goals (none) on the big stage is frustrating.

Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of goals or do we just play and hope we get lucky. If thats the case though I'm a bit worried about how my career is gonna progress as I'm stuck in limbo somewhat.

All tips greatly appreciated. I am loving the mode, but I don't want to be a 35 yr old player with no goals or accolades to his name.

Cheers!

My suggestion would be to position yourself better. I mean, at the start you can not drible with the given stats, you can not outrun anybody, so the key in my opinion is to keep your hands off the sprint button and try to position yourself better. I played in training matches up until week 8 and only scored twice in the training matches. Somehow I made it to the bench and got in into the game at halftime. My team was up 1-0(PK), and then I scored quickly in the first 15 mins of the second half and my team won 2-0. I got the man of the match award and now going into week 9 I am on the bench again but I haven't played it yet. I really do think that you need to try to get into open spaces and get inside the box when your teammates are about to cross. Basically, positioning is the key in my opinion, at least in the beginning of your "Legendary" career. I hope it helps.

Podshoh

Spooky.... ur posts are quality and so is ur plyer. cant believe how good the are. if i was as commited as u i wud write a story of my career. i'll give a quick summary tho.
chose position as AMF and started off with Hull and...well crap. we came 18th, i played 28 games and only got 3 goals! end of the season and bolton and i thought why not? BIG mistake. made 25 appearences, 20 of which were subs. 1 goal 1 assist played out of position and all sorts. end of the season had no choice but to move because they released me! went to Wigan next because they were in european cup! got into the team doin only 2 trainin sessions and was finally played AMF. played 49 games, got 38 goals and 30 assists. made my england debut but still not in the first team.we won the league with me as assist leader, won D1 cup with me top scorer and assist leader. got MVP in league and cup and was in team of the league.
End of the season and the likes of arsenal came lookin but chose to go abroad to Real Betis (love the pink kit) and am currently halfway through the season. i was in the european and world team of the year. not bad for a 20 year old!
stats still pretty average tho.

And rob go take your views where someone gives a rats a**e

: I've seen enough of that bollocks.

Join the club Chris.

Anyway a few litte titbits.

In my 'trial' game I got sent off and was offered contracts with Hull or West Brom. I went with Hull as a CF. After 7 training matches (playing on vertical wide ) I wasnt doing anything, so I changed the camera view to to wide with the camera tracking the ball. Bingo, feels much better. I played well and got into the reserve A team. I thought great this is my chance to shine. It wasnt, I had a stinker, tried to hard to couldnt do jack. I was deservedly put back in the B team. After a couple more training games I got another chance. Then blew it again, Arrghh !!.

An other few spells in the B team and a my first goal got me into the A team reserves. I played well in the next training game and got on the bench for the Sunderland game, at fooking last.

With 70 mins gone I came off the bench to break the deadlock with a 30yard screamer. We won 1-0 and I got the MOM. Next game was on the bench but didnt play. I wasnt happy like. The next game after was Man Utd. I came on at the start of the 2nd half with the game 0-0. After setting up the 1st goal I scored a 25 yarder to make it 2-0. I had arrived. I felt like Rooney when he came on for Everton and scored that screamer against Arsenal to mark his arrival. Class.

I played Newcastle next, got beat 2-0 but I played well. Viduka got injured. I knew I'd impressed against the toon but was suprised when they came straight in for me the next week when the transfer window opened. Coincidence ? I like to think not.

I got another 7 offers the following week with a Reggina and another Italian team with the rest made up of lower level Prem teams, but not Boro. I stayed with Hull and was rewarded with the first start. I scored in that game but then went on a big drought till the end of the season, bar one. The main problem I had was the manager kept starting me when really I should have been rested. He loved me but was burning me out. Eventually he did rest me and I was better for it.

The following season we played Boro and I was hoping to start so I could score and hopefully leave an impression with them. My manager played me even though I had only half stamina from the start. I scored and got MOM. The manager then rested me for a full game. It was like he had learnt from his mistake last season when he burnt me out. And funnily enough in the very next transfer window Boro were the first club to make me an offer.Funny that.

Last edited:
Don't play in top player or professional level. B'cause you can not have fun. That's all I can add.

My suggestion would be to position yourself better. I mean, at the start you can not drible with the given stats, you can not outrun anybody, so the key in my opinion is to keep your hands off the sprint button and try to position yourself better. I played in training matches up until week 8 and only scored twice in the training matches. Somehow I made it to the bench and got in into the game at halftime. My team was up 1-0(PK), and then I scored quickly in the first 15 mins of the second half and my team won 2-0. I got the man of the match award and now going into week 9 I am on the bench again but I haven't played it yet. I really do think that you need to try to get into open spaces and get inside the box when your teammates are about to cross. Basically, positioning is the key in my opinion, at least in the beginning of your "Legendary" career. I hope it helps.

Podshoh

Thanks for the advice m8. I will try, I do try, but I just don't seem to be getting the chances from my team, I'm one player on for short periods, not a whole team so if the balls down other end of the field thats kinda out of my control unless I go drop back to try and intercept etc. I think I might make a move to a bigger club @@ the endof this season if I can and see if that brings better service to me.

What a mode though eh, awsomeness. If yu like PES games then you have to play PES 2009 BAL mode!

does anyone else get the feeling that your fellow team-mates don't particularly like you?

sometimes i don't get a touch for ages, with my own team preferring to kick the ball to touch than give it to me.

maybe its my face...

are you also aksing for the bal?

i have some questions about creating own face
i have ceated my own face on ps3 with jpeg file,
it seems its NOT possible to add facial hair?
i only managed to add hair style

Sorry to keep asking but can someone tell me how to check your future growth curvr so you can see what age you get to your best and how good you should get. Im in my 3rd season and doing ok (scored 20 in all competitions) but my stats are rubbish and im thinking of starting again, but i want to know how to check how good I should get so I dont end up in the same boat again.
Thanks

Sorry to keep asking but can someone tell me how to check your future growth curvr so you can see what age you get to your best and how good you should get. Im in my 3rd season and doing ok (scored 20 in all competitions) but my stats are rubbish and im thinking of starting again, but i want to know how to check how good I should get so I dont end up in the same boat again.
Thanks

Alrite mate you gotta go to 'Club Team' in the main menu then go to transfer market info. go to player search and search by group. find your team (i.e im at betis so i would go to them), go down to your name and flick through to page 7 and presto.
Easy peesy:WORSHIP:

Alrite mate you gotta go to 'Club Team' in the main menu then go to transfer market info. go to player search and search by group. find your team (i.e im at betis so i would go to them), go down to your name and flick through to page 7 and presto.
Easy peesy:WORSHIP:

th red dot shows where you are now compared to the expected growth at your current age , it will be higher if u r performing better than expected , my growth curve semed to just reach the orange 90 mark at 26 yrs f age , and then start to dip. the better the traing game u play and ho u play will determine the curve of growth an height , i know this cuz i have two dif BAL CAREERS and the groth is dif and in one my peak is more stable and longer and i reach 90's , other reach high 80's,

Back
Top Bottom