SSX 4 news

Anyone know whats going on with this series? I loved it for the PS2 and it was one of my favorites. SSX On Tour wasnt as great but SSX3 was amazing. Anyone know if there are any plans to give it a next gen sequel? Im surprised there hasnt been any new or info

errr... there has. This thread contains the news I think on the bottom half of page 1 onwards.

A

A big feature about SSX Deadly Descents in Belgian game magazine Chief.
The story mode of the game has a ...story (bad begin).
SSX is founded by a professional snowboarder, a surfer and a motorcross pro. They decide to invest their prize moeny in the ultimate extreme sports challenge, the descend of 9 summits in Alaska, the Himalaya (the Nanga Parbat), New Zealand, the Andes, Africa (the Kilimanjaro), the Mont Blanc, the Shuksan and Antartica.

A team consisting of 5 snowboarders (from previous ssx-games) will participate in this event. One of the 5 will go to another team and will be considered as the enemy thoughout the game. A new boarder will act as a substitute. Throughout the campaign the players will alternate as one of the 5 team members in a mode that is driven by a story and by the characters.

Each mountain will have it's unique challenge: the cold in Antartica, the need for oxygin in the Himalaya,... Every new location poses 3 different challenges: first you survive, then you race it and the you try to look good while doing it.

There will be 3 modes: the story driven campaign, and "Explore" mode and an online multiplayer. In the campaign mode the 9 mountains will acht as boss fights (which presumes that the there will be other mountains in this mode).

EA has developed a new tool that is called Mountain Man and that is able to translate real life topographic mountain areas to a playable in-game version.
On the gamedisc there will be 200 mountain and another 100 will be DLC.

Gameplaywise there will be ice axes that will serve as breaks and a wingsuit which will allow you to make huge jumps (from the helicopter but also on the mountains).

The game will be released in 2012. I'm pretty happy with what i've been reading about the game so far.

The helicopter pilot will sometimes have a role as a navigator like in rally games.

I saw this on Neogaf

New SSX: Deadly Descents news from Official Xbox Magazine (WoW on a snowboard!!!) #1
The March 2011 Official X-box Magazine came out a few days ago with an article on SSX DD.

Creative director Todd Batty says everyone who sees SSX Tricky and SSX 3 thinks they are Wii games. He says that there are 10 "gamer types" for video games including "Explorers" who love big open worlds, "Managers" who love bartering and trading goods, and "Monsters" who mess people up. He says World of Warcraft hits nine of these types, and SSX DD currently hits 8, which is 2 more than SSX 3.

Summary of concrete features:
  • Right now, the game is split into 3 main modes. Campaign - where you tackle the 9 Deadly Descents, Explore, and Live Events. Xbox magazine seems to think this last option is for online events.
  • Plot: 3 returning characters including Zoe Payne get tired of the typical snowboard competition scene and form the SSX corporation to tackle the 9 deadliest mountains around the world. Some old characters join in for the challenge, but one drops out to race to get all 9 mountains done before the others. You step in as the new character "Jack", who is featured in all the screenshots.
  • Rewind feature is confirmed, though there will be some sort of penalty for using it
  • Batty says the danger element bridges the gap to an action-adventure game.
  • In-game equipment like ice axes will be able to be powered up through an RPG-type power-up system and that overusing them will incur an in-game penalty. He says you won't be able to just 'fly through' a level.
  • 200-300 tracks through 9 peaks. I would say "tracks" are more like "paths" than tracks in the old way of thinking.
  • Expect Split/Second-type set pieces on every mountain, but they are not scripted events.
  • You pick the tracks you race through a "Google Earth" type interface, which you can zoom in and out and pick which path you'd like the helicopter to drop you on.
  • Now the doozy - Batty says they've simplified the process to do tricks from "nine inputs down to two". According to X-box magazine, they watched as he used the two analog sticks for the trick inputs: the left stick jumps and does spins, and sweeping motions with the right stick do tricks. Looks like some sort of Skate mechanic will make it through to the game. I have a strong hunch that Uber tricks will not make it into the game.
  • Batty says he's got a unique way of including the score-multiplier feature from the old games without resorting to large neon-colored snowflakes that ruin the feeling of reality.
  • Finally, it seems like it might be a 2012 release. Batty mentions that they have 15-months of development left on the game.

And finally, X-box magazine says that while fans are wondering "Why So Serious?" with SSX, they wonder if the fans shouldn't give EA the benefit of the doubt. After all, Heath Ledger as the Joker worked out well, didn't it?

Yes it did. But EA is not Christopher Nolan. Nowadays, their studio is more like Uwe Boll.

:BRICK:

Demo release for SSX confirmed by EA

SSX producer Sean Smillie has confirmed that there will be a demo of the reboot before the game’s release early next year.

Smillie didn’t give away much more than that, however.

“Yeah, there are plans. But I haven’t been told when that’s going to happen,” he told TheGamingLiberty.

He also said that the reason the Deadly Descent tagline was dropped was because it didn’t fully represent the three pilars on what the game was all about: Race It, Trick It, Survive It.

“It sort of has to do with the three pillars of gameplay I’ve always mentioned,” he said.

“With Deadly Descents, we were trying to get across that we had something new and different to do in SSX. I think the messaging was misguided. With Deadly Descents it sort of focused on “Survive It”, but what it didn’t do was reassure people that yes, we are still doing race and trick too. The other parts of the game weren’t being represented properly, so we dropped Deadly Descents and just went with SSX.”

SSX launches in January 2012 for PS3 and 360.

This is my most anticipated game.
9 regions: Himalyas, Siberia, Alaska, Patagonia, Antartica, New Zealand, The Rockies, The Alpes and Africa (Kilimanjaro).

This is the website:

http://www.ea.com/ssx

Game looks absolutely awesome.

Some of the trailers have been brilliant.

They changed their stance, for the better IMO.

Looks kinda like the old Tony Hawk games but on a snowboard, had great fun with those as a kid, although that series went off the boil.

Never played an SSX game but I've always thought snowboarding is really cool (no pun intended :P) so I may check this out.

Not long to wait now! Think it might be time to change the name of this thread as well, as the game is not called SSX 4... plus it isn't even SSX 4, that was SSX on Tour.

ill be buying 100% for sure mate..whens it out? Ps3 also mate

what online modes will there be though? just races and freestyle races?

Not sure about the online modes, haven't paid much attention to the build up, just waiting for the game.

The demo is out on Tuesday.

Online is racing, tricking and also surviving.
Surviving let's you replay the descent as long as you don't die and every time you restart the descent get's tougher.

There will be two sorts of online: global events and explore events.

Explore is racing or free-styling against your friends. One of your friends has done an event on one praticular course and then you will automatically receive a message via Ridernet that the time to beat is such and so on that track.

Global events: anybody can set up a global event and anyone can participate within a certain time frame. If you set up a global event you chose a track and a time frame (let's say 24 hours). Then everybody who wants to has 24 hours of time to try and make the best result on that particular track.

heard some things about this game which worry me, like balance free rails that almost suck you in, and a sort of shockwaves which travels infront of you if you land something cool. Right now I just want to try is bastard for myself, hopefully it will impress enough to be a day one buy for me.

I've sent a couple of people in this thread a friend request to play this game...
Isslander.
I've been playing the Xbox demo: the game is far from easy...i don't think you should worry.

I hate the right stick controls. In the tutorial it said to 'tap' left and then rotate the stick around kind of like a transition move in UFC.

I tried it a few times and nothing.... then I ignored the game and did the same movements slower and more deliberate and the tricks worked every time. Seems odd.

I changed back to classic controls and that was vastly better to get to grips with. I doubt I'd buy it though. It didn't have the same magic that the original SSX or the 3rd game had that had me playing the demo for hours.

Back
Top Bottom