SSX 4 news

Radiation

Golden Boot Winner
6 February 2006
Widnes
Newcastle United
EA Montreal trouser-wearer Alain Tascan has admitted there is a lot of love for the SSX snowboarding series at the studio, and said that a revival may be on the cards - particularly if the market (that's you) demands it.

"Ah, SSX," Tascan sighed wistfully to GamesIndustry.biz. "We have a big catalogue and we were talking about what people like. I think this is something we will look at in the future to see if it makes sense to revive the franchise.

"It's a little bit early to talk about it, but I feel... I know internally it is a franchise that people love because it was successful and good, and it reminds me of when we were young, and I feel if the market is there and is ready for a new one then we'll consider it."

SSX was last on the piste back in 2005, with the GameCube, PS2 and Xbox release of SSX On Tour. That was good, by the way, but not as good as SSX 3 and SSX Tricky.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ea-will-look-into-an-ssx-revival

Yes please! Tobi will be writing letters as I type. :D

!!!

Reading between the lines, it sounds like the game has either been in development for a long time or it was cancelled at one point and is now back on track.

It was first hinted at in the Burnout Paradise demo in 2007, either way they better dish some proper news asap. I'm still hoping for a SSX game with a Burnout Paradise mentality, developed by Criterion of course.

This calls for a celebration.

New SSX takes series "back to its roots"

I'm sure we have SSX threads somewhere here but the search if finding nothing at all.

The next game in snowboarding series SSX takes it "back to its roots", sources claim.

It features controls similar to those found in Skate, Kotaku reports.
http://kotaku.com/5708624/the-next-ssx-what-weve-heard-so-far

That means the right thumb stick will be used to perform tricks.

It comes as no surprise to learn, then, that the game is being created by many of the developers responsible for Skate at EA Canada.

SSX was rumoured to be set for a reveal at the upcoming Spike Video Game Awards after teaser trailer The Planet, which you can see below, popped up on the internet.

Last month speculation was fuelled by domains registered by EA that suggested a game called SSX: Deadly Descent was in the works.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-11-09-ea-registers-ssx-domains

Surveys leaked online in the summer described an unannounced snowboarding game as "an intense, moment-to-moment battle against the forces created from riding your snowboard over the most spectacular and remote mountains on Earth".

Interestingly, EA Sports president overnight teased "an obscure new title" set to be revealed at the VGAs. His cryptic message directed to the trailer you see below.
http://www.easports.com/blogs/itsinthegame/post/slug/anticipating-the-hottest-new-games-of-the-year

In September last year EA Montreal trouser-wearer Alain Tascan admitted there is a lot of love for SSX at the studio, and said a revival may be on the cards - particularly if the market demanded it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-12-08-new-ssx-takes-series-back-to-its-roots

Re: New SSX takes series "back to its roots"

I'm looking forward to this, been waiting ages for an SSX.

Last edited:
Re: New SSX takes series "back to its roots"

He posted it in the other SSX thread and bumped it up to page 1. God only knows what page that was hiding on because the search engine thing didn't find a single trace of SSX anywhere.

Some nob has probably said 'we need a FPS aspect to it.. so you snowboard down the hill picking up ammo and health and weapons... then at the bottom it merges into a FPS assault on a military base and then you signal the chopper to escape.

Was extremely pleased until I looked up and read it's supposed to have controls like Skate.

I really couldn't warm to that game (haven't played 2 or 3). Why fuck about with a winning formula?

And the military theme is just scraping the barrel for ideas to me, so much for going back to it's roots...

Bastards!!!

Give me the first three games in HD instead.

Cool down, just wait till the game is out before judging it.
I hope it will be a game with a big fun factor (the first 3 were nothing but fun and enjoyment, without doubt the most enjoyable games i've ever played).

Some nob has probably said 'we need a FPS aspect to it.. so you snowboard down the hill picking up ammo and health and weapons... then at the bottom it merges into a FPS assault on a military base and then you signal the chopper to escape.

OH MAN THAT SOUNDS SO AWESOME!!!

I don't know about natural when it comes to tricks. I lost count of the times I'd press the stick in a direction and see my character do a different trick to what he did the last time I used the same combo of directions.

We shouldn't need to push off on this so at least that annoyance will be gone. But charging up those spins while holding jump down and the stick left will be no more... :(

Where does it say the game has anything to do with a military of some kind? I agree that this is not the atmosphere that I would have preferred but they are taking a helicopter to the top of a mountain in crappy weather, in real life it would be very intense. I think they are going for that feeling.

Well they didn't but it's the tone of the trailer.

The military style time and location in the bottom left corner.
"and we're not alone" hints at this not being a sporting event because if it was... of course you're not alone.

It's a far cry from the neon filled ramp jumping tricky style that SSX was known for and what most of the fans who wanted another SSX game actually wanted.

I'll give it the benefit of any doubt, I just hope the game isn't as dark and serious as the trailer.

Don't get me wrong, I would much rather like SSX Tricky all over again. There is enough "dark" (in every sense of the word) games out there already.

Skate 1-3 are brilliant, three of my favourite ever games :) Not played an SSX game before but look forward to this if the controls are anything like Skate!

It doesn't, it's complicated and nowhere near as simple and fun as simply pressing buttons.

The original Tony Hawk games are better than Skate and they're perfectly simplistic.
:CONFUSE:

I don't understand all the fuss about Skate's controls, seriously, it's not that complex...
Hold X or A to push a few times for speed, let go of A/X and hold the right stick down, then flick it up to jump, flick diagonally for kickflip/heelflips, rotate the stick round for shuvits, or do other set movements for tricks like hardflips etc. which take practice to get used to (as they should).

While in the air hold LT to grab the board with your left hand, RT for your right, then hold the right stick in a direction to tweak it, you can also hold A or X to kick a foot off the board, make sure you let go of A/X and centre the right stick before landing.

With grinds it's all about the approach angle and how you land on the rail, you can't just expect to slide around at 100mph balanced perfectly like Tony Hawk.

The THPS games were good fun at the time on PS1, but clearly that style of gameplay wouldn't work these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gritty SSX reboot Deadly Descents features a rewind button to undo momentary bad boarding.

You can hurtle down and test that on more than 70 mountains spanning 17 regions, including famous peaks in The Alps, Himalayas, Kilimanjaro, Siberia and Caucasus. That's according to an EGM preview of the new game (read by NeoGAF, via VG247).

Mountains are made auto-magically by the sophisticated Deadly Descents engine, which even pulls data for use from Google Earth - oh no it's alive, run! On each of these huge, snow-covered rocks you'll encounter a specific danger. Mentioned are thin air, ice and temperature - all three of which we'd consider common to most high-top pistes.

Those mountains can be tackled whichever way you want, but there are also loosely defined tracks to keep you on course.

As you begin to conquer mountains, your purse will swell and you'll be able to buy new equipment, most of which has specific advantages in certain conditions.

The Elise character from the old SSX games is returning, and there will be new faces joining her.

SSX: Deadly Descents was unveiled in December as part of the Spike Video Game Awards bonanza. There was trepidation from fans about the announcement, however - had the bright and boisterous SSX of the past been forgotten? How that pans out we'll have to wait and see.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-07-ssx-deadly-descents-details-spilled

Back
Top Bottom