Sky+HD

There will be no need for customers to upgrade their set-top boxes to access to the new 3D channel, as all existing Sky+HD boxes are already ‘3D Ready’. However, customers will need a new 3D Ready TV, which are expected to be on sale in the UK during 2010. More details on the channel, including timing, pricing and packaging will be provided in due course.
For fucks sake.

I'm not particularly interested in the whole 3D thing. I'd rather Sky concentrates on getting a bigger and better line-up of HD channels. I'm not buying a new TV any time soon.

Heads up on this deal:
h t t p s://www.theskyteam.co.uk/OFFERFROMSKY/register.aspx?custType=New

Found it on Hotukdeals. Gives half price sky, free hd box + free hd for 12 months...
The deal is meant for sky affiliates but seems to work if you put any company name in and people have even put their own companies in and it works. Apparently ends tomorrow so might be wise to try tonight

Oooh nice one thanks :)).

I watched Man Utd v Chelsea in 3D today. WOW :SHOCK:. Amazing quality and the 3D is really brilliant.

yeah but are you going to buy 100 pound glasses for all of your mates when they come over? i think 3d is gonna fall flat on its ass..... maybe...

yeah but are you going to buy 100 pound glasses for all of your mates when they come over? i think 3d is gonna fall flat on its ass..... maybe...

I feel this way too. I think 3D is great as a cinematic experience on the big screens at the cinemas, but in the home I'm not so sure it has a future. Despite the tech companies ramming 3D down our throats this year I'm not sure people are willing to spend out on 3D ready TVs, Blu-ray players and AV receivers. High definition has yet to become mainstream so I think it's too early for 3D yet.

I think it has many issues in the home, such as communal viewing. Also, 1-in-10 people can't 'see' 3D to start with.

3D glasses are a pound...? Why would you spend £100 on some active ones when passive are fine.

All 3D TV's bar LG's Passive range support the active shutter type, you can't use the glasses from the cinema at home.

I thought that it would use the ones from the cinema aswell?

So are these glasses really £100 or is that a bit of an exageration?

No exaggeration but it also depends on the manufacturer and the model. There is a high end Samsung 3D TVs that doesn't come with the glasses which is a joke considering how much the TV costs.

I know of two Sony and Panasonic models that come with two pairs in the box.

The passive glasses that they use in the cinemas are a lot cheaper to produce. Its annoying when they charge you extra for the glasses though when you've already paid for the 3D ticket...Cineworld!

In cinema the glasses are cheap because the screen does most of the work (which cost loads to setup) but at home your glasses have to do what the big screen is doing that's why they will be so expensive

So its either very expensive TVs and cheap glasses or expensive glasses and not so expensive TVs

All 3D TV's bar LG's Passive range support the active shutter type, you can't use the glasses from the cinema at home.
Ahh ok. The TV in the pub was indeed an LG one so that's why we could use the cheap glasses. Worth knowing, thanks :)).

3D is just another (incredibly pointless) way of milking us all for new TV's.

It's an absolute pile of bullshit, and to be honest, it was properly only good at Disneyland for 'Honey I shrunk the audience!"

Just get everything in HD Sky, and do it now!

3D is just another (incredibly pointless) way of milking us all for new TV's.

It's an absolute pile of bullshit, and to be honest, it was properly only good at Disneyland for 'Honey I shrunk the audience!"

Just get everything in HD Sky, and do it now!

Couldn't agree more. The electrical companies have flogged us all HD TVs so they need something new to make us replace our sets that are only a couple of years old.

The selection of HD channels and programming is still far too small, so Sky are jumping ahead of themselves by pushing 3D now.

As I said before, 3D should stay in the cinema - it's just not going to work as well on a smaller screen.

I think it works pretty well to be honest. The main camera for the Blackburn v Man Utd game on Sunday was much lower than the non 3D camera angle. Really added depth to the game and was like you were sat in the stand watching the match.

I saw a demo of the new Sky 3D tv's here in Toronto last night. I have to agree that on a 46" screen, there was no real benefit. Also, my eyes felt like mush after the demo.

It's a technology in it's infancy, and will take some years to bed in.

It always has been, what do you mean?

It hasn't, a few games I've watched on ESPN HD have definitely not been Dolby Digital. It might say it is, but there has been no sound from the rear speakers. Monday night was the first match that had all 5 speakers in use.

All the EPL games have been in 5.1, a few games from Seria A and the Bundesliga have been too.

All HD channels broadcast in DD, depends on the content/broadcaster whether its 2.0 or 5.1.

It hasn't, a few games I've watched on ESPN HD have definitely not been Dolby Digital. It might say it is, but there has been no sound from the rear speakers. Monday night was the first match that had all 5 speakers in use.

ESPN HD does something weird with the sound through Sky at least. In every match my amp will at some point switch as though the sound input had changed - from what to what I don't know but it only happens during ESPN matches and normally at least once a half. Tut.

I blame Iceland.

Back
Top Bottom