Road to Euro 2012

It isn't harsh, remember what he did against Wigan last years.
There is an intruiging statistic about England's red cards: 8 of the last 10 red cards are for Man Utd players...different standards in Europe?

I love how the media storm made that Wigan thing such a big deal. Those kind of clashes occur in every match, particularly in corners and what not. But because it's Wayne Rooney, we saw it 10 times in slow motion on MOTD. Hell, 90% of the country wanted the FA to change the rules to charge him. Because of who he is.

It is very interesting that 8/10 of the last red cards have been United players. I'm sure that a disproportionate of England caps have gone to United players in that time (esp considering Nevilles, Beckham, Ferdinand, Butt etc) but not 80%. So yes, does seem that a United player playing for England is more likely to be sent off.

I'm sure opposition fans would of course continue to perpetuate the myth that it's because Fergie owns refs the FA IS CORRUPT INNIT and other such intellectually-challenged beliefs, but it's probably more to do with them not being used to losing, and reacting badly. Half of those were from Roon/Beckham, who the English press had built so high they had to fall.

Anyway, doesn't matter. As a United fan I'm happy for him to have the summer off. As an England fan I'm dissappointed but it'll be interesting to see which United player the English public choose to blame this time.

What does anything he's done in the past have to do with what he did the other day?

Nothing.

It shows that this wasn't a one off. He has an histrory doing things like that.
Things like what he did in Wigan should not be done on a football pitch.

I've almost finished the fantastic book about Robert Enke by Ronald Reng. It seems German football is entirely different than English. There is something wrong with young English players. They immediately become stars and loose all contact with reality (and Rooney is a bad example because he really is among the best players in the world, but lesser gods act the same way). After reading the book, i got the distinct impression that German football players are much more down to earth...Enkel helped other players and was also helped by other players. The one "mistake" he made is that he never outed himself as suffering from a depression because he wanted to be Germany's GK at the 2010 WC. People like Hanno Balitsch, Rene Adler and others have all my sympathy because they are genuine nice guys...
To be fair to English football, after reading the book one realizes that Frank De Boer and Van Gaal really are big pricks.

Yes it should have. IRL somebody who has already committed previous offenses gets a heavier punishment too.

In the end this is not about Rooney (or any player who has had previous sending offs), this about other players. What Rooney did was an agression and could endanger other players, a serious ban could made him think twice before he does this again...but now he more or less comes away with it and will do it again...

I think what he did against Wigan was even worse, he should have gotten a serious ban after that match, no matter if it was in the refs report or not...We all know that if the Wigan player had done this, he would have got a red card and a rather long ban. But in Rooney's case the ref afterwards even admitted that he had seen it (that was also the reason why he could not be sanctioned after the match). Once again, this is not about Rooney or Man Utd (i'm quite sure you would not discuss this if this was about a Liverpool player, i would think exactly the same way), it's about football...if you do this on the street you are arrested...i know that there are other rules in football because it is a contact sport, but punishments for contacts that have nothing to do with football should be much more heavy...what Rooney did againt Ronaldo (Portugal), Wigan or Montenegro has nothing to do with football...

I'm sorry, you think the forearm thing against Wigan is worth all this discussion? That's patently ridiculous. I was watching the match live and barely anyone even noticed it. The Wigan player didn't even leave his feet, and played on.

You want dangerous? YouTube - Brown tackle on Giggs

That's dangerous.

This is dangerous: YouTube - us mcbride elbow

Jesus, if Rooney is going to get crucified to flashing an arm at a player who deliberately runs across his path, what are we going to do to him when he mistimes an honest tackle and actually hurts someone?

I dig that you don't like him as a footballer, hell I remember a dozen times he's done stupid things on the pitch. I hate that side of him too. But you're going waaaay overboard on the Wigan thing. If you're going to string someone up, at least string them up for an offence worthy of the punishment.

By your logic, countless legends shouldn't have been allowed to play. Gattusso has a great portfolio of nastiness. Roy Keane obviously. Steven Gerrard has put in his fair share of leg breakers. Ronaldo has kicked players before. I've even seen Messi get snippy. And let's not even talk about Shearer, I mean the number of elbows he used.

Last edited:
This discussion was not about Mc Bride or Brown. We were talking about Rooney having done stupid things before. Certainly the Brown tackle was alos very dangerous.

And the fact that big players do dangerous things, does not really matters...i don'want them banned for years, but what Rooney did against Wigan deserves a ban of 4 or 5 matches at least.

You also do like this started with Rooney. It certainly didn't. It's just that if refs don't punish, things get worse. Let's take a perfectly innocent example: penalty fouls. I've been watching football since roughly 1970. In these 40 years i've seen an evolution concerning penalty fouls. In 1970 no matter what contact resulted in a penalty...a very clear rule. No every penalty decision is debatable...while the rule is that every contact is a foul and a foul in the box is a penalty. Refs don't sanction fouls in the box, which are sanctioned in the middle of the pitch...Same goes for the things Rooney does now and then...

About Roy Keane: he was one of the reason i stopped supporting Man Utd...i've been a fan since the 70's. To me he is not a big player at all...in 50 years neutrals will remember Best, Charlton, Giggs, Scholes, Schmeichel, Cantona, Ronaldo, Rooney, and even Nani...but not Roy Keane.

Of course this is all very subjective...but i'm quite sure that i'm far from the only one who thinks Rooney does dangerous things on the pitch. It's not a coïcidence that the only two people who are discussing this are Man Utd fans...

Ps: it's not that important...

I'm with you on so many points - but where I differ is that I genuinely believe Rooney generally gets shafted by the authorities, rather than as you suggested, treated better. There are loads of examples (friendly in Holland where he got sent off for nothing, then had to serve a ban domestically; only player to ever be banned for swearing; sent off for clapping - and the ref admitted afterwards he did it to try and teach Rooney a lesson) where Rooney is treated differently by both match officials and the various footballing bodies because of who he is. Because he's a public figure.

You say that had a Wigan player done exactly the same thing, there would be furore. You couldn't be more wrong in my opinion. If the identical thing had happened between Wigan and Fulham, you wouldn't even have heard it happened.

I actually think it's really unfair that players are treated differently based on how big their reputation is. I know it's human nature, but it's not right.

There are loads of examples (friendly in Holland where he got sent off for nothing, then had to serve a ban domestically; only player to ever be banned for swearing; sent off for clapping [...]. Because he's a public figure.

Sadly enough you can see this behaviour in the German leagues often, too. And I doubt that's because of the fact they're certain figures. Firstly they aren't all players on the level of Rooney and secondly all professional footballers are "public figures" when entering the pitch. So I think this argument does not count for the Rooney case. There were often bans given out for the things mentioned by you.

And I don't know what is wrong about enlarging the bans if one and the same person does one and the same damn stupid thing again. No matter, of which player we are talking.

PHIL NEVILLE said:
"Rooney banned for 3 games what a joke - if it was a Dutch, Spanish, Italian or German player they wouldn't even get 1 game. #fact"

tell it how it is phil.

also after the appeal. it will be a 4 game ban..
or they might even just kick us out they got so much animosity towards us..

football, most watched, supported game on planet don´t have repeat´s - video refereeng simillar to NHL where referee could look at it second time...

give me a break anyone who thinks this game judging is objective.

I do really hope Bosnia overtakes Portugal in the play-offs which isn't the hardest challenge for them and when they advance to the finals I wish Bosnians would take their revenge on France over that 'deux poids deux mesures' they faced.

To buy, or not to buy :(

v327ht.jpg

To buy, or not to buy :(

v327ht.jpg

hard question, are you not sure becouse of worrying what game it will be or becouse of price or anything else..??

my advice..considering you were thinking of buying if you came with it.. BUY IT!

You live just once.

Imagine if Estonia makes it to Euros!! What a huge achievement! Historic day it'll be!
I think possibilities for us to qualify is 30/70. Ireland is most definitely the best draw we could have hope for. And Irish themselves feel the same way.

I would love to see Ireland AND Estonia at Euro..

Ireland just becouse last World Cup injustice.. and Estonia for fantastic qualification..

unfortunatelly it´s impossible :(

Platini is a just a liar. He says he is against match fixing, then France is always having help from referees. Then, we have the Champions League. In 3 different campaigns, Olympiacos lost qualification from Bordeaux, Lyon and Monaco with not just simple mistakes but clear goals not counting and false decisions.

Actually, the strange thing is that in 09-10 that Panos referred too, the "draw" put together Lyon and Bordeaux at last 8, so it was sure a French club would go the semi-finals, something that had not happened since 2004. The same year, Bordeaux won twice against Olympiacos with help from referee, since Olympiacos had a clear goal not counting as a foul in the ftrst leg and a penalty not given in the second leg, not to mention their second goal was a clear offensive foul. Moreover, Olympiacos in 2001 needed just to avoid losing from Lyon with 1-0. Then, when the match was 1-0, Giovanni scored 1 meter behind 2 of the defenders of Lyon, but the ref somehow saw an offside. Then 2 clear penalties were not given to our player Alves, and instead he was given yellow card. Last but not least, when Olympiacos played Monaco back in 2004, the match was 2-0. Okkas scored twice but his second goal didn't count although the ball was clearly inside the net so the match ended 2-1. That resulted in Olympiacos getting the 3rd place with 10 points, and Monaco going to last 16. So yeah, Platini helps French clubs and not only the national team.

Last edited:
Platini is a just a liar. He says he is against match fixing, then France is always having help from referees. Then, we have the Champions League. In 3 different campaigns, Olympiacos lost qualification from Bordeaux, Lyon and Monaco with not just simple mistakes but clear goals not counting and false decisions.

Jesus christ man. It seems every match Olympiakos looses is because of referee decisions...
I could mimick your "reasoning" and say that all Greeks are frauds because of the economic crisis...of course that is a generalisation and far from the truth. Platini is by far the best UEFA president i remember and since i'm almost 50, i remember quite a few of them...football needs more people like Platini.

Yep that's right Gerd. Every match Olympiakos has ever lost in Europe (And there are lots of them :LOL:) has been because of bad stupid or young inexperienced refs who were personally bribed and hired by Platini and given their instructions before the match. Lol NO! For example, Bordeaux were by the far better team two years ago and clearly deserved to go to semi's. Where as Olympakos were lucky to even make it to knockout rounds.

Funny thing is I have a lot of Greek friends who similarly always talk about how Olympiakos gets most of of the 'referee' decisions in the Greek league and that is a big reason for their success domestically over last 10 years. Ask any AEK or Panathinaikos fan and they'll tell you that. Of course we don't wanna talk about THOSE decisions... only a couple bad calls in Europe. And you know what I don't believe them anyway because they are biased just like this man is. But it's true that they have a lot of 50-50 things go their way in Greek Superleague.

Long story short, cut the BS Inactive Member. It's getting old and it's getting boring REAL fast!

Last edited:
The truth is that football is supposed to be played fairly, and the referee must not take away any chances from a team. Those matches I mentioned, the wrong calls were not even 50-50 situations, but they were clearly made in favor of the other team. I can't accept that the ref and the linesman do not see 2 clear penalties in the same match inside 10 minutes. You support Real, so it is not a commono situation for you. It seems you were happy when R. Carlos used his 2 hands inside the box while the ball was going in and Casillas was down against Olympiacos and the referee who was 4 meters away said he didn't see him. I bet you do not remember this, while the whole Europe felt disgusted about it the day after. Yes, it happened in 1999, when Real won 3-0.

There should be a thread called "Bad referee calls/decisions" or something like that, because there are many offtopic posts in lots of threads, only discussing the refs.

Yes I'm a Real Madrid supporter. :LOL: :ROLL:

That's NEWS to me and everyone else! :LMAO:

Oh and I don't deny that bad referee decisions do happen. It's true they do. But just like some FAVOUR other teams, many have favoured Olympiakos over the years too! Especially in the Greek Super League against other Greek teams! Thing is though, YOU just don't wanna remember any of those.

Back
Top Bottom