Road to Euro 2012

Hope and pray Lithuania beat Czech's, as for me that's the only way we (Scotland) will get through as we don't have a hope in hell of taking anything from Spain, they look like wanting to do a maximum points win.

FD

Both Scotland and Czech last matches vere a big dissapointment for me.. personaly..

Spain against Czech was training match for Spain, Scotland played not as good as i expected them.. but anyway.. let the better go through..

for me it´s dilema..i love Scotland and i´m Czechoslovak born ;)

For the good of the game?
That's very relative and subjective.

I actually think England have one of the most boring teams in the world. Apart from the one huge win under Sven against Germany, can you actually give me one English game to be excited about as a neutral football fan? I'm not being sarcastic or cynical, i just wonder if there is one game...i can't remember one...

And every time they play in a major tournament the English (press?) sees them as favourites to win it...every time they underachieve and play boring football.

As a neutral i prefer weaker teams with fighting spirit like Scotland than all these stars who play without soul and passion and seem as utterly bored as the people who have to watch them...

Come to think of, the English national football team are a good thing for culture, every time i watch them, i end up reading a good book. Maybe they should get the Booker Prize.

Scotland don't play that badly, they have a decent defence and they were only a few seconds away from drawing with Spain at home around a year ago. They're really missing a striker, and it causes all sorts of problems, they bossed Saturday's game but could still only win 1-0. I agree that England are not a wonderful team to watch, they are ok, but they went from being too slow (at the last World Cup) to too fast, or more accuratly too counter attacking. They rely so much on speed and so little on guile and creativity it's like watching some sprinting-athletics race. Once Rooney got the red card you knew they would conceed another as the formation cannot cope with a player missing from the spine.

The Czech's dont seem to be anything like the force they were around 5 years ago. A lot of the team has got old: Ujfalusi, Jankulovski, Galajeck, Nedved, even Plasil, Rosciky, Baros, Cech and Rozehnal are all near enough 30+. I think they'll be good in 6 more years when some of the youth team players (e.g. Peckhart, Marachek, Stechk etc) and Fenin (had problems with the one year ban) come back into the team.

Personally I think the German's will win it. Going to Turkey and winning against a good Turkish team under Hiddink, 3-1 was a great performance. I think they have a bit more balance about them than Spain, remember Müller was missing that night out in Durban, with him in the German team I can see them winning it. The Dutch will be contenders too, and if the Russians are in the Ukrainian cities out in Donetsk and Kiev, well they will bring a lot of fans and could go to the knockout stage.

Scotland play better passing football than England. Actually, even Wales do.

In an ideal world, they'd qualify ahead of England. ;)

Something tells me Greece will have good Euro :D

Realy i don´t know about Czech rep. and Scotland, becouse Spain might play for 100% wins or they will play just to let Scotland qualify.. i don´t know...

now that Slovakia is out with awfull result and not many goals goals basicly.. i will probably support someone who didn´t won it yet.. or the team who is most enjoyable to watch.. i have no personal favourite..Spain is best team in Europe.. but Germany will have a very strong team as well..

I hope Belgium will eventually qualify... they have golden generation coming up.. I see myself supporting Belgium tbh if they qualify.. or Poland, as they want and need some succes with their n. 1 sport... just for the fans that are one of most passionate in Europe.. at club and national level..

Of course Armenia vs. Ireland will be a massive game..

To be honest both Belgium and Turkey don't deserve to be qualified. They threw away to many point against weak opponents...if you can't win in Azerbaijian (Belgium), you don't deserve to go to the Euro's. Turkey were also a pretty weak team.

They got 4 point out of 6 against Belgium, but never deserved them (and not because Belgium was so strong). Germany's performance is less impressive than it seems to be...this was not such a strong group.

Belgium national team are convinced that they will win in Germany, they will be hammered.

PS: Hiddink was far from impressive as Turkey's national coach.

Last edited:
My bet for tomorrow: We win against Belgium and Turkey loses it. Afterwards Belgium may qualify via the relegation, they have an impressive young team and I think they are called a "golden generation" for all the right reasons.

Bet for the title: Spain or the Netherlands, if we get a good group and will go to the knock-out-stages maybe our team, too, but I guess we'll see a new version of last year's WC final. And if both play as attractive as the last years I don't really care, who wins it, I would even be happy for our neighbours although connected via a hate-love and the never ending "Dutch-German-conflict". :D

ireland will lose tonight and i hope they do,traps management style is a disgrace and i as well as many other irish people dont want him for another 2 years

Really ? All this over James McCarthy ?

I agree that Keogh shouldnt be in the squad, and I think Paul Green was way out of his depth a year ago but most of the other decisions I've seen Trap make are fair enough. If he was to have played gung-ho football in Moscow it would have been 3 or 4 nil to the Russians. People seem to think James McCarthy is some sort of panacea and will single handedly be able to beat teams, it's shades of Andy Reid, McCarthy has a bit more talent than the fat waster, but he cannot win games on his own and I dont see what the other options are in central midfield apart from Whelan and Andrews.

Who else would you want to replace Trap ? Do you remember how bad it was under that spoofer Staunton ? I was in Nicosia for the 5-2 back in 2006.

Well, sadly Belgium's out. The two first goals broke their will and their goal came too late. Hope to see them in Brazil in 2014.

I didn't see our game (I had a lesson while we played) but we won, 1-2 with two late goals (we conceded an unlucky one, and then they were stuck at their end).
I am happy with one thing:
We are among Germany, Italy, Netherlands, England and Spain who didn't make a single loss.

Last edited:
I'm happy Sweden progressed to the Final Stage of Euro2012 (they were the best 2nd ranked team in the competition). I like this team, they have many good players (Mellberg, Ibrahimovic)(and despite the fact that they beat us 3 years ago in Euro 2008 :p). I also wanted Belgium to go through (I played with them for a while in FM2011 and it was a top class team, with lots of good talent) but sadly they couldn't stop Germany.

Seems like a lot of people are excited by this young Belgium team. So much potential there. I thought they would already be good enough to get to the Euros but it didn't happen.

Slightly off topic WC 2014 discussion:
Surely they'll qualify for WC 2014 though. Well I looked at their group and I'm not so sure:
Croatia
Serbia
Belgium
Scotland
Macedonia
Wales

What a group that is. No clear favorite for me. Wales have won 3 out of their last 4 and could have drawn with England. On their day, and especially with home advantage, each of these teams can beat the other teams. Should be an exciting group

Put the blame on the Deeee-Jaaayyy !!

België - Turkije (1-1): Penalty Axel Witsel

:P Just joking of course. I can understand you guys. Belgium has an attractive set of players, young and classy most of whom I like as well but it's just an -on paper- thing and it didn't work in real. They didn't deserve it more than us and on the other hand we didn't deserve to advance through either. Btw, I support my NT like just another team lately cuz the management's player choices suck as hell, Hiddink doesn't take full control over it (well, I guess he doesn't even give a damn about the NT) so it's just up to nepotist Turkish assistant coaches. This is just pissing me off. It's the f*ckin NT not your club team!

So it wouldn't bother me even if Belgium could have made it. I still can't figure out how we got 1W & 1D over them. We're such an interesting team and can't do it without heart crisis. :)

France again :( how many times will Platini help them to go on CUup

it's horrible what happened in paris.

france was awarded non existing penalty. :CURSE::CURSE::CURSE:

how many time in the future we're going to watch refs help them just because their country is called "france"????

horrible, just horrible...

So what? Was definitly a penalty, everything right in my opinion.
Spahic just reacted too slowly and blocked Nasri, clear penalty.

it was not penalty.

if there was a foul, it was beyond penalty area.

548405e40ce249ae0c6ca5920477fdff.jpg

n2cvmo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom