Red Dead Redemption [PC/PS3/360]

I'm finding the duels pretty annoying. I got a white marker on someone's right arm, as the guide posted in here recommended, and my bar was barely filled at all. I then thought, oh, maybe I should put one in his leg too since I don't want to kill him. So I sat there, knowing I'd shoot the gun out of his hand. Except I didn't shoot at all. I got killed. Absolutely fuck all to do with being outdrawn, and everything to do with a shoddy, counter-intuitive gameplay system.

It seems stupid to have to fill a bar up - how does that make any sense? I'd much rather it if the duelling system was much more of a genuine struggle to outdraw your opponent, rather than this bar filling bollocks.

It seems stupid to have to fill a bar up - how does that make any sense? I'd much rather it if the duelling system was much more of a genuine struggle to outdraw your opponent, rather than this bar filling bollocks.

Agree completely.

Not only is it a somewhat flawed system they make virtually no attempt to explain how it works!

I just played free roam with my mate plus 10 other guys and my god this game is ****ing brilliant online man.

Me and my mate went into the bandits hideout and had to kill them all. we first killed a few of them outside this church and we later crept inside and killed the rest of them!

we then had two other guys joined us and help us kill the rest of them down the road inside some mansion. All i can say is that its been a LONG time since i had this much fun online.

Guys feel free to add me for this game. thanks

How the heck are you supposed to do the achievement/trophy for 'become a public enemy for 10 minutes and then escape'?

I can become a public enemy really easily.... but the you're never told when it's been 10 minutes and then when it comes to escaping after you've timed yourself the bleeding lawmen have rifles and can kill you instantly from miles away.

Anyone managed it?

Done 1-2 missions in Mexico and I really can't see how people are praising this so much even to the point of calling it one of the best games of all time.

It's just too repetitive with missions, most being you accompany an AI character and go off on the horse and shoot some people. The characters don't seem particularly interesting and I'm losing interest in it really quick after I start playing it.

7/10 for me so far, TBOGT was much better at this stage :(

Last edited by a moderator:
If we all liked the same games the world would be a dull place, obviously you're soft in the head and completely wrong but that's your prerogative ;)

I agree somehow with Dags that missions are a bit repetitive. But I love them, so it's not a problem if they are a bit repetitive.

What really is lacking a bit is characters and the overall story. Notice that I've just arrived to Mexico, so a lot of the story is still to be developed. But after playing Heavy Rain, I miss a stronger emotional bond with everyone. The folkoric characters can be fun for a while, but don't help creating a strong narration.

But that said, everything is so good and well done and full of details that everytime I put the game on I end up very very happy.

PS: And to me is GOTY alongside Heavy rain. No doubt.

I agree somehow with Dags that missions are a bit repetitive.

The problem is that these type of missions were also in GTA. Example, the convoy mission are pretty boring. RDR needed a bit more variety for the main missions. The side quests are great and improved but the main storyline is weak compared to what we used to know. It's a great game but the 'mechanics' are a bit old.

I'm stuck at 99.9%. Can't get my bounty in Ranch Polvo to appear :(.

My wife hasn't been offered a single bounty in Mexico and she's about halfway through that part of the game, no idea what she has or hasn't done to result in them not being there :(

I saved in Chuparusa until it was daylight and after a little wait it appears. But it never happened for me at the same time like in America (around 7:30).

I think we need more distinct characters like the Jamaican guy or Brucie in GTA IV. I like Dickonson and the Grave Robber, but since Mexico... I havent really experienced any interesting character.s

I get the feeling I've missed out on an opening cut scene somehow.

It's just hit me because I was looking through the instruction manual and it has a bit of back story there which finally shed some light on why I was out here on the train at the start of SP. But I get the feeling there should have been something before that to explain who I am, why I'm here. Other than the small bit of text in the manual I've not really been given much to give a shit about anyone in the SP. Doing some odd jobs for that woman, running around helping strangers... it's all a bit "is this it?".

MP is a lot of fun and I love the co op side but the SP side so far is very very bland. The opening we do get with the train and you coming off the boat with the 'lost' style piano music which just made my eyes roll rather than think 'that's so original and awesome'. He gets on a train and is put in the middle of the place... and for what? I just have no emotional bond with this main character at all and the everything feels too much of a chore. I'm not that far in but really it should have grabbed me by the throat and dragged me into the game rather than expecting me to push on through the opening boredom to get to the good stuff.

I also don't like that the cut scenes don't reflect who you are. So if you play the game as a bad ass and kill everything... 2 seconds later you bump into a stranger or mission and you're just some wet tissue who bends over backwards to help everyone and their dog.

Last edited:
I get the feeling I've missed out on an opening cut scene somehow.

It's just hit me because I was looking through the instruction manual and it has a bit of back story there which finally shed some light on why I was out here on the train at the start of SP. But I get the feeling there should have been something before that to explain who I am, why I'm here. Other than the small bit of text in the manual I've not really been given much to give a shit about anyone in the SP. Doing some odd jobs for that woman, running around helping strangers... it's all a bit "is this it?".

The story and John's reason for doing what he's doing unfolds as you play the game instead of spoon feeding you the who, why and what in the opening cutscene, personally I much prefer the way they've done it :)

Seeing as they give you a brief backstory in the instruction manual it's not like they don't want to to know it up front. It's not like it's a secret that the game is saving for a later 'OH MY GOD' reveal.
I don't understand why they didn't just put it into the start of the game as a cut scene - so right from the beginning you understand everything your character is saying and his reasons behind it all.

Without that it's creating constant contradictions in my game which is ruining any chance I had at caring for my character.

A kidnapped family but yet.. I have the time to piss around playing horseshoes and poker instead of trying to get back to them.

Or I can take him around the world and annihilate everything like a cold blooded killer and then in the next cut scene he's a remorseful man wanting to change for his family... of which we have only just been informed he even has one!?.

You can tell a mile off how badly pieced together this game was and see why they had to drag people over from the midnight club team and other teams to get it finished.

Back
Top Bottom