Red Dead Redemption [PC/PS3/360]

Placebo

Ԁlɐɔǝqo
3 May 2003
Orrefors, Sweden.
Sheffield Wednesday
Seeing as I'm a huge fan of all things old west I was rather delighted to stumble across this today!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

reddeadredemption.gif

coming.gif

2K Games today announced Red Dead Redemption for Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, to be released this fall. Rockstar San Diego will develop and the game will use the RAGE engine, also featured in GTAIV. First images can be found inside.

2K Games press release:
Rockstar Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), is proud to announce that Red Dead Redemption is scheduled for a fall 2009 release on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system and PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. Developed by Rockstar San Diego, as a follow up to the 2004 hit game, Red Dead Revolver, Red Dead Redemption is a Western epic, set at the turn of the 20th century when the lawless and chaotic badlands began to give way to the expanding reach of government and the spread of the Industrial Age. The story of former outlaw, John Marston, Red Dead Redemption takes players on a great adventure across the American frontier.

“The team at San Diego have massively exceeded our expectations with the sheer depth of experiences in Red Dead Redemption,” said Sam Houser, Founder of Rockstar Games. “The seamless combination of breathtaking beauty and intense action, all woven together with strong plotlines in a massive vibrant, rural environment is mind-blowing. We think this game helps to push the limits of what an open-world gaming experience can be.”

Utilizing Rockstar's proprietary Rockstar Advanced Game Engine (RAGE), Red Dead Redemption features an open-world environment for players to explore, including frontier towns, rolling prairies teeming with wildlife, and perilous mountain passes - each packed with an endless flow of varied distractions. Along the way, players will experience the heat of gunfights and battles, meet a host of unique characters, struggle against the harshness of one of the world’s last remaining wildernesses, and ultimately pick their own precarious path through an epic story about the death of the Wild West and the gunslingers that inhabited it.

http://www.rockstargames.com/reddeadredemption/

Re: Red Dead Redemption - Old West GTA Stylee!

Please don't let this be sh*t.

Please let it reenact great scenes from western movies.

Please let it have some Ennio Morricone...

Yeah I agree, must be non-arcade, there's so much fantastic culture and life to simulate from the old west, I've had 1,000's of ideas in my head for years to use in an open world Old West game.

This will be an unbelievable game if they pull it off

has anything like this been tried before?

Not that i can think of dont think been open world western game before.

Done well it could be great game though we shall see i mean open land i cant help but think Far Cry 2 as you travel everywhere but i hope its done better then that borefest.

Hope they get it right here also. Some pure "Man with no name" atmospherics and all the fantastic cliches of the genre tied in with a nice sharp engine.

Heh would be great to either be able to be some hotshot gunslinger...or some broken down drunk who can't shoot a sissy gun to save his life but is deadly with a Remington

Wishful thinking but imagine multi-player mayhem where you have your own posse of miscreants...enjoy some multiplayer games like bank robberies or jail-breaks....Take part in some "Quick and the Dead" style shootist tournament.

I hope i'm moseying on up to the game shop to get me a decent game this autumn.

The 1st one was one of the game I prefered on Xbox with Oddworld Stranger's Wrath and Fable.

I thought the first game was pretty good on the XBox too.

Old West GTA? So can you jack other people's horses? :D :D

Looks good

imagine what it looks like now 4 years on :SHOCK:

Exactly, visually if it's anything like Call of Juarez I'll be well happy, thought that was a pretty lovely looking game :)

Oh Jesus!!!! On saturday, we win at Bernabeu 2-6. Today, we reach the final in Rome. And now.... THE BEST GAME OF ALL TIMES EMERGES!

http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/...mption/videos/reddead_trl_wildwest_50509.html

You can see the all new trailer at IGN. Splendid. If only the script resembles those of Sergio Leone, that's for sure my favourite game of all times. I love it. Thank you lord for this times. Praise may be your name! Aleluyaaaaa!

I wonder if it's going to be more like a Wild West GTA or like the first, an over the top arcadey shooter

I really hope this is as good as it seems. I've been waiting forever for a decent Wild West game. I know Rockstar will do a good job.

Looks good to me

Although i cant see how they can make it like GTA seeing as there is very very little in the way of transport, which wont be fast either and mainly only small basic towns not big populated city's

In the Old West you had foot/horse/carriage/train/paddle steamer plenty of options and some much faster than others, they could also implement fast travel although I'd prefer they didn't, the Old West is filled with stories about the events that took place during travelling, being ambushed by Indians/bandits, attacked by wild animals, things like that which I hope are included in the game. To accurately portray the Old West they must tell the stories of the journeys rather than just doing this at point A. and this at point B.

As for the sizes of towns, yes there weren't massive cities like we see today, but there were still decent sized towns in the Old West, Tombstone for example had 3,400 people in 1880.

Last edited:

IGN preview

http://feeds.ign.com/click.phdo?i=39194442d10333b5e324ef4c908a4602

To navigate the game world you can walk, ride a horse, hop into a horse-drawn stagecoach, or catch a ride on a train. On either the train or stagecoach you can choose to take a nap on the way to a selected destination to speed up the process, which sounds similar to how cabs worked in GTA IV. And if you're worried about being able to catch up to a train, you should know that some of these machines move especially slowly and should be able to be overtaken on horseback. Locating mission givers and other points of interest is made easier through a GTA-style mini-map that sits in a corner of the screen.

As far as the ebb and flow of the open world is concerned, the game will feature a full day and night cycle, dynamic weather systems, traffic on roads in the form of single riders, stagecoaches and groups of riders occasionally dragging bodies and blasting bullets into the air. NPCs in town areas will follow day and night routines, so while they sun's out you can find them at work, and at night perhaps they'll head over to the local saloon or elsewhere. While wandering around in the world you'll encounter random NPCs that'll offer you tasks, such as someone by the side of the road who asks for help, though occasionally it might be a decoy. In one instance demoed by Rockstar, a gang of armed bandits emerged from behind a busted wagon after Marston was drawn in by a lady calling for assistance.

Plenty of townships big and small will litter the landscape and it's up to you whether you want to seek them all out or whether you'd rather stick to following along with the main story. Some of the larger townships will be built up and feature more advanced technology (such as telegraph wires), whereas the smaller ones will be more rustic. In case you're the type of person that doesn't like to play nice, you could wipe out one of these settlements, turning it into a ghost town for a while and watch as vultures descend upon the scene to pick apart the remains. The township won't stay empty forever -- you can't permanently eradicate the world's virtual residents -- but the townsfolk will take a while to respawn. There's also some plan to implement a kind of "character status system" related to your actions, though the specifics of this were not divulged during the demo.

you can't permanently eradicate the world's virtual residents -- but the townsfolk will take a while to respawn. There's also some plan to implement a kind of "character status system" related to your actions, though the specifics of this were not divulged during the demo.

It would be good if you could become infamous and towns shut up shop and people stayed indoors when you were paying a visit leading to some battles with the sheriffs :)

I would like that if you become infamous and get near a town, you are shot and you are weak against turds of people. I wouldn't like if you can go to town and put it down to ashes and kill anyone. You should be outnumbered and moved out of towns.

I don't mind of course....but what's the odds we get some good old Injun mojo or some ancient Incan curse kicks off somewhere down the line.

Part of me would love some proper Pale Rider/Jonah Hex style supernatural-ness lined up in the game...so long as it wasn't that in it's entirety. No twists where everyone turns into Zombie Outlaws please...but it would be nice if they include some of the Wierd Western Tales type mythology into the game.

Of course i want pure Sergio Leone stuff overall but do you think they might include some "Preacher" style stuff?

Fingers crossed this is one of those nice surprise releases with some tlc lavished on it. Full of every steenkeeng stereo-type the Western genre has ever spat out.

All the "old indian magic" could easily be done in "dreams" of John Marston. Easy as that!

Relating multiplayer, I would just love some co-operative mode as "Wild bunch", where you and your friends have to resist being shot by everyone until you die.

And one duel similar to "Once upont a time in the west", with an harmonica playing!

And of course, I still want some Calexico tracks into the game.

I'm too excited about this game, so I better :COAT:

Back
Top Bottom