PES vs. FIFA - Fanboy Fight Thread......

So a game with fully manual passing, shooting, crossing, realistic game pace, lots of leagues, lower leagues, great presentation, fairly good physics, 99% of the licenses etc is only "decent" while a last-gen arcade fest with only a few licenses, all AI assisted passing, shooting, crossing, way too fast game pace, amateur presentation etc is "good" :LOL:.

I don't know what you've been reading but Lami clearly says:

"Next gen (Currently):
PES shit"

Don't know who are you replying to.

Yes, but on last get he says "PES good" and the word "good" is stronger than the word "decent" is it not?

Re: FIFA 09

You're taking the piss and did not get my point obviously. My point is, Fifa 08 is preferred due to pes 2008 being shit, not because Fifa is REALLY THAT GOOD. Just like back in the day when our only choice was PES because FIFA was crap. But hey back then PES was actually GOOD.

Last gen:
PES good, Fifa shit.

Next gen (Currently):
PES shit, Fifa decent (finally).

Do i have to state IMO?

Anyway, now that Fifa is finally a decent game, i'm hoping Fifa 09 is a good one.

I did get your point, or at least, understood the point you were trying to make, not that I necessarily agree with it.

In your opinion, way-back-when, when PES was new and fresh, it seemed really good and you believe it will hit those heights again. A few years on, and FIFA has surpassed PES but does not seem to you as exceptional now as PES did back then.

The two points I'd make:

1) FIFA is imo better, not only than the current PES, but than all the previous "best" PES's. If this were not true, I'd be back playing an old PES, but I am not.

For me, it is only the here and now that matters. Past glories count for nothing. I used to love SWOS, but I wouldn't go near it now. FIFA is currently the best, so I play FIFA.

2) PES may well once again hit those heights, but, imo, hitting those heights (of let's say PES4, or whatever you favourite PES was) does not mean simply recreating the gameplay from PES4 and tarting it up with next-gen gfx and frills, etc. It can only surpass FIFA if they develop a next-gen gameplay engine. Because PES ruled in 2003 does not automatically mean it will rule again by default. It can only rule again if they actually do the hard work and develop something new and worthy of the crown. They still have to prove they are capable of that and until they do, the past glories are just that, history.

So a game with fully manual passing, shooting, crossing, realistic game pace, lots of leagues, lower leagues, great presentation, fairly good physics, 99% of the licenses etc is only "decent" while a last-gen arcade fest with only a few licenses, all AI assisted passing, shooting, crossing, way too fast game pace, amateur presentation etc is "good" :LOL:.

- Fully manual? Gimmick. More directions than PES? Definitely.
- Realistic game pace? yes
- Lots of leagues and lower leagues? yes.
- Great presentation? yes
- Licenses? yes
- Physics? Hmm... Surely needs tuning.

Why do i say decent?
Because it is sluggish, unresponsive, Height and weight have no effect, AI very responsive, Bad Goal keepers, SBs don't do much, scripted goals, Bouncy players, And more i surely have missed.

EDIT: I like to add i love the ball physics in Fifa 08 ;)

Last edited:

FIFA is imo better, not only than the current PES, but than all the previous "best" PES's. If this were not true, I'd be back playing an old PES, but I am not.

You simply can't compare a next-gen game with earlier PES titles, because FIFA 08 has adventages that old-gen PES couldn't possibly have back then. ;)

The worst bit is I played WE6FE last night and I still think it's the best football game to have been created in the last 5 or so years (and it's pretty much 5 years old)!!

I just can't believe how far PES has fallen in the last year or so, they could have built on a game and made it spectacular instead they just added a lot of minor guff (wow! I can now see refs on the pitch! big deal!!)

You simply can't compare a next-gen game with earlier PES titles, because FIFA 08 has adventages that old-gen PES couldn't possibly have back then. ;)

That's an argument about which is the best game for it's time, which is what I think Lami was trying to touch on, but which I'm not interested in going into.

As I said, for me, it's all about the here and now. FIFA08 is better than PES1-2008, so I play FIFA08.

That's an argument about which is the best game for it's time, which is what I think Lami was trying to touch on, but which I'm not interested in going into.

As I said, for me, it's all about the here and now. FIFA08 is better than PES1-2008, so I play FIFA08.

Like you say this is next-gen, the game should be much better than just that. If you check my post above, the game has many faults which i think should not be happening in next-gen. It is actually quite embarassing because PES didn't have most them faults on a last-gen. That is why i think PES in its last-gen peak is better than FIFA 08 on next-gen.

If Fifa 09 fixed all them issues and tuned the game further then surely i would say it is a good game and the best football game ever.

I also thought both EA and Konami would be trying to think of ways to overcome the next-gen issues by now and pushing to the limits.

Now I have got to grips with the manual through passing in FIFA, I am loving the freedom it gives you.
You play these kids who use assisted everything, but you can predict where the AI will put the ball and go there to intercept it but when I attack I can find the gaps, play it into space etc. You can do what you want, this has NEVER been possible in any PES...

Manual passing and a few glitches > Auto passing and faster responses.

Yes i listened to it last night and got me depressed somehow :LOL:

The Japanese not leading the market and their bad communication isn't a good sign. But hey that was back in November so here's hoping they learned something.

Yea and the fact that Japs don't know or maybe even care about good western games isn't good too.

I thought Japs always had the latest technology and probably would be very interested in the latest ones like havoc, euphoria, unreal etc. If they don't use that stuff for next gen then what do they use?

The Japanese are an insular people, always have been, always will be, IMO it's more a fluke when a Japanese game also appeals to a western audience because they certainly don't develop games with us in mind, I think that more than anything shows with the whole PES series. We in the west wanted more licenses, more expanded master league, we got animal heads........

- Fully manual? Gimmick. More directions than PES? Definitely.
- Realistic game pace? yes
- Lots of leagues and lower leagues? yes.
- Great presentation? yes
- Licenses? yes
- Physics? Hmm... Surely needs tuning.

Why do i say decent?
Because it is sluggish, unresponsive, Height and weight have no effect, AI very responsive, Bad Goal keepers, SBs don't do much, scripted goals, Bouncy players, And more i surely have missed.

EDIT: I like to add i love the ball physics in Fifa 08 ;)
Yes, you missed the crappy defence ;)

Placebo, your quote is dangerously close to rascism and it is a shamefull one.
I am not Japanese but if I was, I would feel insulted by you.
In fact you broke the rules of this forum, concerning rascism.

that is so far from racism

If you think that what I wrote was racism then you're an idiot.

I would suggest you look up the word "insular" in the dictionary. I appreciate English isn't your first language but before throwing around one of the most heinous words in the English language I suggest you be sure of your facts.

If you think that what I wrote was racism then you're an idiot.

I would suggest you look up the word "insular" in the dictionary. I appreciate English isn't your first language but before throwing around one of the most heinous words in the English language I suggest you be sure of your facts.
I know what insular means, something like narrow-minded.
I don't mind that you call me an idiot, just after your post about the insular Japanese. You just blame yourself, because frases like that do not sound very intelligent to say the least.

I find this offensive. Accusing him of racism for what he said is inflammatory and libelous. I feel you are the one who has broken the forum rules. You have a very tenuous understanding of the words insular and racism.

Thank you Winston I appreciate that.

Han, not that you particularly deserve a further explanation on "insular", but when applying it to a place or a people it means that they are inwardly focussed in their views and opinions, that they care more about what they do within their own location for their own people than what they do on a global scale. The American government under Bush is also quite insular in its stance and politics (as are many republics). The English are often also accused of being insular in the more usual guise of "island nation"........

I find this offensive. Accusing him of racism for what he said is inflammatory and libelous. I feel you are the one who has broken the forum rules. You have a very tenuous understanding of the words insular and racism.

The wikipedea refers to the Oxford English Dictionary:
According to the Oxford English Dictionary, "racism is a belief or ideology that all members of each racial group possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially to distinguish it as being either superior or inferior to another racial group or racial groups."
So he says that this whole group of Japanese people poses the characteristic of beeing insular...
The only point is he doesn't call himself superior and was talking to one group and therefore I said he was 'close to racism'

Thank you Winston I appreciate that.

Han, not that you particularly deserve a further explanation on "insular", but when applying it to a place or a people it means that they are inwardly focussed in their views and opinions, that they care more about what they do within their own location for their own people than what they do on a global scale. The American government under Bush is also quite insular in its stance and politics (as are many republics). The English are often also accused of being insular in the more usual guise of "island nation"........
Okay, this is a better formulated post then the one I replied on.
Discussion closed for me :)

Wikipedia :). It must be true then. And to say that the Japanese like eating Sushi is equally "racist".

If you want to live in a such a world, feel free, Han....or not free actually, because you'd had to watch every single sentence you mutter lest it be ludicrously and deliberately misconstrued as showing any sort of prejudice against anyone.

thank god thats sorted. I didnt see any racial issues with Placebo's post to be honest Han, I think you did what I do on a regular basis... took it completely the wrong way.
Okay let's keep the conclusion that way. Sorry for misunderstanding :)

Discussion closed for me :)

The discussion will be closed for me when you apologise.

• You implied I was racist
  • You said my comments were "shamefull" [sic]
  • You said I broke forum rules concerning racism

All three of those things are incorrect and I find the accusation and insinuation grossly offensive, I abhor racism greatly and have complained a number of times during my years on this forum when people make racist comments (that's real racist comments mind), just ask MJP as he was banned because I complained about racist comments he made some time ago.

Back
Top Bottom