PES 2020 Rumours Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like someone said on here earlier, if this years game was really good he would’ve stayed for the praise but cos he knows it’s not he doesn’t want to deal with the shit from the extreme hardcore fans, that’s why to me it’s an early sign of another bad year of pes.

Don't think that this has to be the case. There can be so many reasons why he left before Pes 20 is released. Maybe he just got the other job this early and simply could not wait until October. Maybe the work at Konami was really bad so he didn't want to wait just to get some praise. He didn't even hype the game on his personal account anymore anyway..

Of course it's still possible that Pes 20 will be a letdown but to get to this conclusion just because one employee left the company is over exaggerated for me.

Gotta love online. Where formations go to die. How often do you see the fabled 4 1 1 4 formation? This is something that needs sorting for 2020, make formations in online divisions only mildly editable so you choose the base formation and then can move slightly from the original positions to stop this exploit crap. Its a spammers paradise and needs to be sorted for next year! So tired of being the only player on the planet to try and play something approaching real football!

Attachments

• 20190515_085503.jpg
    20190515_085503.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 30
Gotta love online. Where formations go to die. How often do you see the fabled 4 1 1 4 formation? This is something that needs sorting for 2020, make formations in online divisions only mildly editable so you choose the base formation and then can move slightly from the original positions to stop this exploit crap. Its a spammers paradise and needs to be sorted for next year! So tired of being the only player on the planet to try and play something approaching real football!
The freedom and flexibility in formation is good.

The bad aspects to blame, in your photo, in my opinion are not the players, they are gameplay core problems.
1: The game being end-to-end, no midfield play, no punishment for being absent from the middle
2: The offensive passing with simple (X) having advantage over defenders in the current core, since you can make simple precise passes and one-two with three of your players among 7 or more defenders and the only thing they can do is press to the point the ball is, since the ball is faster then the player, the only way is to guess right. It is similar with the case of time-wasters , who exploit passes between GK and defense and can waste whole 90’ minutes without the other player touching the ball.

Last edited:
for me i totally lost any kind of interest in football games since pes 2018, i had hope with pes 2017, which is by no means a great game, but it was a good game, and had a decent amount of variety, but after that, i think today, i have lost interest with what s to come from konami... i hate that pes 2019 is so easy on professional and top player, and then superstar every opponent become super human hell bent on letting you lose by the cheating AI...

Apparently the EDIT MODE will be key in PES 2020 according to a Tweet endorsed by Robbyearon.
I took this as "less licenses, more manual work for the community."

I don't think there's much Konami would add to the edit mode that doesn't already have a functional purpose already. Unless they add lots of cosmetic things. Maybe they'd let us edit players hairstyles ourselves again and not rely on data-packs that are outdated every time Messi dyes his hair back to blonde?

I'd love it if we could fully customize the in-game tournaments. Every damn year, they lock the African and Copa American cups to some weird 12 team knockout stage and we can't even customize it to any kind of group stage format despite being more than 16 teams in each continent.

Stadium CREATOR (An actual one, Not a seat colour editor) This would be a dream but as we all know, Konami know's most people are content with playing at the Konami Stadium in myClub, unless...
We got engaged in an interesting conversation with Robby on Twitter today.
Basically he said this year was the first time they received so much criticism about Master League and that hopefully soon we'll see how much they've done for it.
The first time???

It's been a while since i played a PES online but i could've sworn they lock you to use certain formations, like you could only use formations that your coach in myClub was assigned to? I didn't know you could still edit the players positions?

Unfortunately, the online aspect isn't about respecting what's realistic or sensible in football, the game isn't even a football game, it's a game that happens to be loosely based on Football. Kind of like how Call of Duty is a game that's loosely based on Military combat. If CoD was as hardcore realistic as say Operation Flashpoint or Arma II, how many people would stick at it and drive up the online player count?

Had to laugh with the posts that are speculating about Asim's departure.
Why conclude that this means PES2020 will be a bad game? PES2019 and 2018 weren't good either and Asim was perfectly happy with them. There is as much reason to think PES2020 could be fantastic because Asim left…

Of course this is also unfounded speculation.
Asim might have had an offer he can't refuse (minus the horse head, i hope) and a salary comparable to that of Alexis Sanchez...

We will never know why Asim changed jobs and i couldn't care less, i hope for him that he likes his new job, but that's it for me...

The freedom and flexibility in formation is good.

The bad aspects to blame, in your photo, in my opinion are not the players, they are gameplay core problems.
1: The game being end-to-end, no midfield play, no punishment for being absent from the middle
2: The offensive passing with simple (X) having advantage over defenders in the current core, since you can make simple precise passes and one-two with three of your players among 7 or more defenders and the only thing they can do is press to the point the ball is, since the ball is faster then the player, the only way is to guess right. It is similar with the case of time-wasters , who exploit passes between GK and defense and can waste whole 90’ minutes without the other player touching the ball.

No, fully agree with you on those points. Some movement and adjustment is acceptable, however, limiting it to basic formations (sort of like MyClub I suppose) to restrict the exploitative formations would be a start seeing as how they have zero intention of toning down pass assist online to stop these one touch ping pong passers or the full power through ball spammers that these formations are designed to exploit. If they toned down pass assist online massively to a very loose PA1 then most of the frenetic ping pong rubbish we have to deal with would be gone in an instant. Alas, they won't do that because then the little MyClub coin hounds wouldn't be able to score on every play with their Messi, Ronaldo, Salah front three that they spent £100 pounds to get hold of..

And in relation to your first point, it was quite frustrating watching my defenders and midfielders complete ineptitude in dealing with the attackers, especially in midfield where my 5 apparently had little to no impact on either of the 2 he had in the middle of the park..

If they could also find it in their hearts to stop my defenders running the wrong way every time there is a through ball that would be much appreciated along with reminding my players to jump for the ball when I hit square to clear it and not just watch it sail an inch over their heads to the onrushing striker.. Oh and maybe, just maybe, allow defenders to react properly to high through balls and allow us to actually get a hold of a defender on the first attempt who might be able to clear it or make it to the ball rather than the game consistently favoring the attacking player. Defending is hard enough on this game at times, don't make us fight the controls and the game itself to be able to clear a ball.

I don't think there's much Konami would add to the edit mode that doesn't already have a functional purpose already. Unless they add lots of cosmetic things.
Well... not really. Apart from obvious stadium creator there is shit loads they could add.
Some sort of a sponsor logo editor on kits would be nice and it would be a gamechanger for xbox people.
Even for those on ps4 and pc who like to edit themselves.
More kits, possibility to mix and match different set of kits, so you could just change colour of shorts for example.
In the past we had pixel editor for kits, and upgraded version of that would be huge.
Add to it customising leagues, adding more divisions to ML.
Unlocked stadiums for all teams, chants, ball editor. There is so much they could do.

Edit: forgot about universal stat editor for all players. If someone here says that game is much better if we lower ball control by 20, would be nice to be able to adjust one stat and apply to all players in the game

Last edited:
The Master League as it is right now won't be better even if they add improvements to it. It isn't a mode that has good basis, it's so far from the other career modes in sports games they need to completely remake it.

It needs to be good in training, player growth, player retirements, staff and club management, team management, fixtures, atmosphere, contracts, transfers, difficulty balance,AI, sense of progression, sense of accomplishing something, menus, presentation. It's basically better to make it from scratch then to add and tweak things.

Oh, yeah, how could i forget? The regens. Is it so difficut to create a system that generates fake players after the real ones retire without having to see an 80 rated 18 year old Totti?

Last edited:
Hi folks,
New to these parts... Was a member at WENB (albeit an infrequent poster) before it was infiltrated and shut down by Konami. Thought I’d join up here before the hype train sets off from Tokyo station on its annual, round the world trip.

Reading through the last few pages, I pretty much share the general opinion of most people here regarding PES both past and present and it seems here is a more “level headed” forum (I.e no Danielrh’s or Alan’s).

Regarding 2020, the thought of an expansive edit mode is interesting and welcomed but about 10 years too late. However, the most interesting thing so far imo is Asim’s resignation... we all know the awful rep Konami have for treatment of their staff but one might also think that if 2020 was going to be anything really impressive, Asim would want to stick around to take some credit for it.
hey @Ximelez !! :BYE:
i remember you from WENB! good to see you finally making the move over here, right before the train leaves the station!! :))

(semi) official welcome to the evo board!!! :RSCARF:

that EDIT MODE post by @Chuny made me "riding the rollercoaster" again! first sentence gets me up to the highest point... and then free fall with the latest sentence! :LOL:
i wish for so much! cant wait for the first news droppping....! been reading here all the time, nearly every day, but it was nearly all said...
roll on, official informations!!!

Last edited:
hey @Ximelez !! :BYE:
i remember you from WENB! good to see you finally making the move over here, right before the train leaves the station!! :))

(semi) official welcome to the evo board!!! :RSCARF:

that EDIT MODE post by @Chuny made me "riding the rollercoaster" again! first sentence gets me up to the highest point... and then free fall with the latest sentence! :LOL:
i wish for so much! cant wait for the first news droppping....! been reading here all the time, nearly every day, but it was nearly all said...
roll on, official informations!!!
To be honest and without any moan mentality, I believe too , edit mode is the key this year=we lost some licenses, but told in a good way.
Furthermore, talking about edit mode , before any new and helpful staff they can implement, the pre-pre-essential , before any other change, would be, kit images free space this year =Number of editable teams x6, 4 kits+2gk kits. Anything less is just hype-train tickets pre-sales.

I can almost imagine that they'll add a stadium editor this year, because it's one of the most requested features from the editors, and I can see them presenting that as "hugely improved edit mode" (without doing anything else).

But on the other hand, would you introduce it now, when (if rumours are to be believed) they're switching to Unreal for PES 2021 and the editor would have to be remade for that engine? I'm not so sure.

Maybe their version of "stadium editor" is that you can pick from a few basic pre-made complete stadium models, and change the colour of the seats and the nets.

Last edited:
It's basically better to make it from scratch then to add and tweak things.

Respectfully disagree. Yes, it needs a lot of work and improvements, basically all the things you mention. But I would like for it to keep its identity. It is different from other career modes and that is precisely what I like about it and why I find it more sustainable, despite all of its shortcomings.

I don't think FIFAs career mode (to take an example) is so much superior. Outside of presentation I find it quite shallow . Neither formations, nor tactics, nor training, nor player acquisition, selection, or placement seems to create a tangible difference on the pitch. My management role seems to be limited to having to sift through an endless stream of boring and redundant 'emails'.

I know it's almost uncool now to find anything good left in PES but there is still something in ML that makes me come back for more that FIFA with all its 'realism' can't deliver.

My management role seems to be limited to having to sift through an endless stream of boring and redundant 'emails'.
I take your point, but players are your slaves in PES. They have no problem being contracted forever and never getting onto the pitch.

Still makes me smile in FIFA when I get a player asking to leave because I don't play him enough for a player of his calibre - that's how it should be.

I can almost imagine that they'll add a stadium editor this year, because it's one of the most requested features from the editors, and I can see them presenting that as "hugely improved edit mode" (without doing anything else).

But on the other hand, would you introduce it now, when (if rumours are to be believed) they're switching to Unreal for PES 2021 and the editor would have to be remade for that engine? I'm not so sure.

Maybe their version of "stadium editor" is that you can pick from a few basic pre-made complete stadium models, and change the colour of the seats and the nets.

Some very simple stadium editor like the one Pes 2011 already had, now reintroduced in Pes 2020 as "new".

I know it's almost uncool now to find anything good left in PES but there is still something in ML that makes me come back for more that FIFA with all its 'realism' can't deliver.

Probably the one thing that makes you go back playing Master League is gameplay, that is the only thing still remaining in Pes where you can debate it's preferable to Fifa.

And even then, gameplay the last few years have been severely lacking. Don't want to be exaggerately pessimistic but i really think that even beside modes, Konami has a huge work to do in gameplay too. We are at a point where we are glad they at least fix and improve offline modes, being satisfied with a gameplay that is basically the same since Pes 2015 with no relevant improvements.

I ask for so much more than that.

Last edited:
I see the same shit in EDIT MODE like was in the past. Superb EDIT MODE like in Pes 2013 ( Pes 2020 the same situation) and BIG shit like in Pes 2015 on next gen PS4. Pes 2020 will have good EDIT MODE like Pes 2013 on PS3 and PES 2021 on PS5 won’t like Pes 2015 on PS4 since today. Its Konami.

yeah... simple stadium editor is possible as you say... but then, i bet all other edit options would be the same! ^^
i'm wishing and hoping for so much. but i have nearly zero confidence now! but hey, this makes the wait a bit easier... ;)
i just cant imagine menu and options stuff to be fixed big time and the same time they do something fundamentaly good with the gameplay! its either one or nothing at all! maybe its not one bigh thing but several small things they'll add or polish.
you just cant be sure what to get! just cant! :p

Don't want to be exaggerately pessimistic but i really think that even beside modes, Konami has a huge work to do in gameplay too. We are at a point where we are glad they at least fix and improve offline modes, being satisfied with a gameplay that is basically the same since Pes 2015 with no relevant improvements.

I ask for so much more than that.
I think this is where the community (by which I mean, the more mature community, the one I care about) is a little bit split.

Does PES try to be the best PES ever (tweaking everything we love about PES to the perfect degree), or the best football game ever (where the ball is ACTUALLY loose, the physics engine is revolutionary and as a consequence it suddenly feels nothing like PES)?

(Note: What's actually happening is that they're trying to clone FIFA more and more, because they want their success, and that to me is the worst possible aim - you'll never be FIFA, and if you make people choose between FIFA and not-quite-FIFA, you'll never win.)

I think half of us want that PES-feel, and half of us want a realism revolution - but the latter would, in my honest opinion, "feel" closer to FIFA than PES (if you removed all PES's rails and gave the players more agility), and a lot of us would hate that - and I believe Konami know that, and therefore it'll always be very, very similar. Year after year.

Personally i don't want a realism revolution, i want a game that has challenging but fair gameplay. A game that innovates, brings new elements to the gameplay without necessarily being so realistic it becomes boring.

To me the biggest gameplay improvement would be AI. Improving AI not just removing blatant script, but also making CPU play in reasonable ways. Making player individuality shine both when you are controlling the players but also when CPU is controlling them.

Also adding new personality traits that reflect ingame, like players being more prone to commit fouls because frustrated, or a real stamina system (not the fake one in Pes 2019) where you can see players being so tired they cannot manage to sprint at all after running for most of a match. And that should happen for both player controlled team but also AI team, not just for player controlled team like in Pes 2019.

There is a balance between realism and fun, but Pes never achieved that lately. Last time it happened was Pes 6.

Personally i don't want a realism revolution, i want a game that has challenging but fair gameplay. A game that innovates, brings new elements to the gameplay without necessarily being so realistic it becomes boring.

To me the biggest gameplay improvement would be AI. Improving AI not just removing blatant script, but also making CPU play in reasonable ways. Making player individuality shine both when you are controlling the players but also when CPU is controlling them.

Also adding new personality traits that reflect ingame, like players being more prone to commit fouls because frustrated, or a real stamina system (not the fake one in Pes 2019) where you can see players being so tired they cannot manage to sprint at all after running for most of a match. And that should happen for both player controlled team but also AI team, not just for player controlled team like in Pes 2019.

There is a balance between realism and fun, but Pes never achieved that lately. Last time it happened was Pes 6.

This. Post of the millenium for me.
I loved PES because the players felt different.
That is much lees the case.
And yes it would be fun if i knew that one py players is more likely to get a yellow card, because he's pissed off when losing and other's stepping up when it matters most.

Add to that much less scripting, realistic player ratings and a league mode with transfers and i'm sold (again).

For people who want more, revamp the ML, but as much as i've loved that mode, i think it is broken beyond repair because of Myclub.

Every good idea for a carreer mode will be implemented in Myclub and not in ML.

Every good idea for a carreer mode will be implemented in Myclub and not in ML.
Really good point.

Managers have attributes in myClub - they have preferred formations and styles of play. They also have contracts, that expire.

In the ML, the manager is just a name and a photo, and they barely ever move on.

Really good point.

Thanks Chris, but that is so sad, isn't it? Or am i becoming old (i obviously am).
I have a 16 year old Fortnite playing son and i know what money some his friends spent on that game for skins...he has a friend who spent 500 euro's on a skin. Madness.

The absurd formation thing really is ridiculous at this point. Even the "pros" (PA2-3 goons) do it live on their PESLeague broadcasts.

I don't think they should restrict people in formations though. That's a quick fix to a deeper problem: the gameplay mechanics are so untuned that you can get away with 1 midfielder and 5 or 6 forwards. If there's no real risk to playing like that, then the absolute worst of the online gaming community ( = play to win at all costs) will do it.

Placing small restrictions on players' ability to pull off a particular exploit is okay, but it's better to do wholesale changes to the conditions which allow a whole host of exploits.

In short, Konami need to improve almost every core gameplay mechanic such that if someone fields 1 midfielder, they get royally bummed.

Probably the one thing that makes you go back playing Master League is gameplay, that is the only thing still remaining in Pes where you can debate it's preferable to Fifa.

It's more than that. Despite all the flaws, ML still makes me THINK about line-ups, formations, players' roles and qualities. In FIFA career I don't need to care about any of this. It's pick up and play. 4-5-1, 4-3-3, 3-5-2. Who cares? It will be fine, no matter.

In PES, I am considering whether to play Lewandowski when he is on a yellow arrow. Do I need his finishing qualities or do I rather bring someone fresher? Will this be the right decision or not? Do I play Müller on right wing or behind Lewandowski? Do I assign Martinez a defensive advanced instruction or do I want him to be more included in attack? Is it now better to switch to a more defensive stance or should I wait 10 more minutes? Should I buy someone who will replace Ribery because his points are dropping rapidly? Do I need more options on the left wing? Perhaps Süle will be more effective when I assign him the 'Destroyer' trait? Should I buy Isco or keep James?

I know, this is not how everybody approaches or sees this game and – again – I agree that they need to massively up their product, but this level of involvement (self-assigned as it may be), is what I currently don't find in any other sports game.

Really good point.

Managers have attributes in myClub - they have preferred formations and styles of play. They also have contracts, that expire.

In the ML, the manager is just a name and a photo, and they barely ever move on.

Imagine managers that move to a team to another, bringing their strategy with them and maybe preferred kind of signings.. just this would give an immense depth to ML..

Imagine managers that move to a team to another, bringing their strategy with them and maybe preferred kind of signings.. just this would give an immense depth to ML..
...but it wouldnt if it aint translating to the "on the pitch action"!

i like what @Rodchenko said just above. we "need" both: tactical stuff to temper with THAT ACTUALLY MAKES an impact on the pitch (AI behaviour and manager behaviour too)! ...just a wet dream i guess! ;)

...but it wouldnt if it aint translating to the "on the pitch action"!

i like what @Rodchenko said just above. we "need" both: tactical stuff to temper with THAT ACTUALLY MAKES an impact on the pitch (AI behaviour and manager behaviour too)! ...just a wet dream i guess! ;)

I was taking that for granted honestly.. otherwise it would just be a bunch of empty, useless lines and stats :D

(not that I think any of it will actually happen, eh? Just talking fantasy..)

So no news today and therefore this week?!
Weird. I was pretty sure that the announcement would be this week as E3 isn't far away anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom