PES 2020 Rumours Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in!

In fact, guys... take a little longer. No rush. No need to release the game in August, September, October...
Just take 6 months longer than usual. Hell, take a whole extra year!

its about money, that business no? so i would call this wishfull or naive thinking.

its about money, that business no? so i would call this wishfull or naive thinking.

Sure, but just let me be naive. As naive as any of us in here thinking that Konami/EA listen to us, care about us and will make solid adjustments, improvements and innovations to the next version of their games.

Banning loot boxes is the only hope to bring football games back on track to evolve gameplay, offline and online modes. Konami and EA now care just about microtransaction and their gambling modes.

100% agree. Until this stuff will be what move the SH to develop games, it's impossible to even hope for a "whole" game.

I bet that even if they were to lock themselves out from feedbacks for the development months, they'd simply be forced to adjust the game the second it went live and Myclub people start complain about this being to difficult or that too realistic.

Fifa and PES going into the PS5 era without microtransactions would be a better comeback than Liverpool and Spurs combined. PS4 has about 2 teraflops and PS5 is rumoured to have between 11-13 so with them focusing trying to push the hardware can only mean we all will win.

Fifa's career mode right now still has PS3 elements and features from Fifa 12. The FUT/MyClub greed has robbed this generation of any true innovation.

PS4 has about 2 teraflops and PS5 is rumoured to have between 11-13 so with them focusing trying to push the hardware can only mean we all will win.
Too much effort to put that power into gameplay. However, Frostbite (and Unreal) will go up a notch. We'll have great graphics - but the AI in PES will still only score in the top corners and the AI in FIFA will still never commit a foul.

If I was an optimist, I'd say that this is the last year of the current engines being optimised for the current gen consoles - so the "hard work" (or at least the majority of the basics) have been done, and that means more time can be spent on the problems we've all shouted about for the last few years.

But I'm a pessimist - online is what sells, and microtransactions are selling at record levels across both games. When people talk about myClub and FUT now, I don't even know what they're talking about. TOTS, SBCs, Flashbacks. That's the new world, that's what matters, and the gameplay those guys want is the gameplay they have. Fast, furious and stupid.

If you said to these guys "have you noticed how bad footplanting is", they'd ask which team he plays for, if he's in the Team of the Week, and how much I paid for him.

I'm still all for them sitting in a dark room, shutting off from the social media world, and truly digging in to create the game. Feedback is based on interpretation, and no matter what, there will be conflict. Even though we think there should be absolutes, this is a gaming generation that requires a sacrifice no matter where you stand.

That was fine back in the PS2 days when they were ahead of the curve. The problem now is they are lagging so far behind on just about every level that they *need* to be looking at what EA and others are doing in order to play catch up. FIFA of course has its own set of flaws, but if you look through the list Ameobinho just compiled, how many of those sorts of fundamental footballing/game engine issues do they have by comparison? The fouls one perhaps. Konami can't even get the basics right, they aren't even close to meeting the standard they set in the PS2 days, which is simply embarrassing.

Clearly their current engine and general approach is holding them back, Kojima implied that the PES team was rather hopeless and he had to hand-hold them for a long time before they got the hang of it. At least with a third party engine like Unreal the documentation and industry use cases are there to learn from. The sooner they move away from Fox the better, but unless they've been working assiduously behind the scenes in preparation I fear a new leap in technology will just leave them even further behind the curve.

Too much effort to put that power into gameplay. However, Frostbite (and Unreal) will go up a notch. We'll have great graphics - but the AI in PES will still only score in the top corners and the AI in FIFA will still never commit a foul.

If I was an optimist, I'd say that this is the last year of the current engines being optimised for the current gen consoles - so the "hard work" (or at least the majority of the basics) have been done, and that means more time can be spent on the problems we've all shouted about for the last few years.

But I'm a pessimist - online is what sells, and microtransactions are selling at record levels across both games. When people talk about myClub and FUT now, I don't even know what they're talking about. TOTS, SBCs, Flashbacks. That's the new world, that's what matters, and the gameplay those guys want is the gameplay they have. Fast, furious and stupid.

If you said to these guys "have you noticed how bad footplanting is", they'd ask which team he plays for, if he's in the Team of the Week, and how much I paid for him.

Footplanting? Doesn't he manage Rangers now? :LOL:

I get what you mean though with all this lingo. Packs and coins? The whole thing makes me cringe. It does seem like a new age of speed and wanting everything instantly and it translates into football games too.

AI should be high on the agenda so you'll definitely get fouled if you're needing a late goal to complete a comeback, or a derby match that boils over. There's just little to no aggression from AI. Noticed on both games. It's sort of like a training match at times. You need AI that if a striker on the opposite team has not scored for a while, may opt to pass instead of go for goal himself. Top corner goals should be more of a rarity and it's the scruffy goals that a lot of teams score from.

It's beyond my thinking on what they can actually achieve with next-gen, it just depends if AI is high priority. Can't be any excuses though because the tech is definitely there.

It's beyond my thinking on what they can actually achieve with next-gen, it just depends if AI is high priority. Can't be any excuses though because the tech is definitely there.
The tech is there now, in standard current-gen consoles. Let alone the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. What is it used for? Graphics.

I still can't believe I was stupid enough to believe those two consoles would herald a more intelligent football game.

Something like Football Manager can run on a terrible processor, and it might not have the same depth in the physics engine, but it calculates so much else. Every single attribute, every player's morale, every word the manager says, everything that happens in the simulated world, has an impact.

Meanwhile, on PES, every player passes with the exact same robotic precision. But nobody cares. Except us.

Last edited:
The videogame industry is turning back to his origins: Arcade machines.
Instead Pay to Play, now it's Pay to Win.
Instead Pay to continue, now It's Pay to look cool.

This is going to increase because it is supported by a capitalist system interested in growing more and more.
Influencing minds from an early age it's good for itself.
Protect childs from that will be parents and education work.

When the shit affects everyone, maybe the famous "social awarness" will appear.

The videogame industry is turning back to his origins: Arcade machines.
Instead Pay to Play, now it's Pay to Win.
Instead Pay to continue, now It's Pay to look cool.

This is going to increase because it is supported by a capitalist system interested in growing more and more.
Influencing minds from an early age it's good for itself.
Protect childs from that will be parents and education work.

When the shit affects everyone, maybe the famous "social awarness" will appear.
Like that.
Going a little ot here, but this reminds me of the film industry.

Apparently the EDIT MODE will be key in PES 2020 according to a Tweet endorsed by Robbyearon.
We all know how to take this though. I'm just bringing it to the table.

"Expect licences to be lost"
Ekhmm... what licences? Like russian, swiss, danish, belgian and turkish league?
Team names and kits? Any average OF will give you that (probably even better quality)
I'd gladly swap all the leagues for fake ones, stadium editor and more edit options...

They need to have lots of teams, even if unlicensed. That can be fixed with the editor. Even if just by adjusting names and not kits because they are limited.
I would have much preferred this year to have a fake Italian and Spanish d2 instead of nothing because of "space limitations". Such a poor excuse.

Well, if the big editor thing is true then I hope they'll have the grace to not fuck up stuff with their updates, because this year it made the game even more unbearable and it would make zero sense with a strong editing focus.

"If".

Hi folks,
New to these parts... Was a member at WENB (albeit an infrequent poster) before it was infiltrated and shut down by Konami. Thought I’d join up here before the hype train sets off from Tokyo station on its annual, round the world trip.

Reading through the last few pages, I pretty much share the general opinion of most people here regarding PES both past and present and it seems here is a more “level headed” forum (I.e no Danielrh’s or Alan’s).

Regarding 2020, the thought of an expansive edit mode is interesting and welcomed but about 10 years too late. However, the most interesting thing so far imo is Asim’s resignation... we all know the awful rep Konami have for treatment of their staff but one might also think that if 2020 was going to be anything really impressive, Asim would want to stick around to take some credit for it.

Ekhmm... what licences? Like russian, swiss, danish, belgian and turkish league?
Team names and kits? Any average OF will give you that (probably even better quality)
I'd gladly swap all the leagues for fake ones, stadium editor and more edit options...
I'm not doubting that and I'm very much an advocate of edit mode, however when someone who may (I use that loosely) have inside knowledge says 'edit mode will be key', in my mind that's PES-speak for something negative that they're trying to gloss over.

We got engaged in an interesting conversation with Robby on Twitter today.
Basically he said this year was the first time they received so much criticism about Master League and that hopefully soon we'll see how much they've done for it.

I told him it'd really help him in particular to come here and see for himself how +30 year old people who have been down for ISS/WE/PES since the 90s feel about PES now, debating maturely.

Hopefully it doesn't mean they will make editing more difficult. PTE team already gave up...
Think PES World, or at least a few of the main editors of, have given up this year too. That's why I was saying the other day about it being a fruitful year for PES Universe and their business plan.

I would have much preferred this year to have a fake Italian and Spanish d2 instead of nothing because of "space limitations". Such a poor excuse.
I look forward to their inevitable absence this year too. Remember when Konami-affiliated people suggested it was only temporary? We'll see, I guess.

Basically he said this year was the first time they received so much criticism about Master League
This first year they actually decided to listen, more like. It's not like ML from 2018 to 2019 dropped off a cliff. It's been absolute shite for years, despite the 'ML IMPROVEMENTS!!!' PR lines.

If what Robby has said is true then maybe, just maybe, they'll actually bother with it this year.

Regarding 2020, the thought of an expansive edit mode is interesting and welcomed but about 10 years too late. However, the most interesting thing so far imo is Asim’s resignation... we all know the awful rep Konami have for treatment of their staff but one might also think that if 2020 was going to be anything really impressive, Asim would want to stick around to take some credit for it.

He's probably seen the first internal info drop about 2020 development and decided to jump ship early :LOL:

If 2020 is just a stop-gap year it will be up to the PR drones to stall and try to calm the baying mob with hints of next-gen etc. not an enviable position to be in let's face it.

Yep with asim leaving that to me says it all about pes 2020, nothing to look forward to this year unfortunately fellas, as for master league improvements will be more rebranding or the new thing will be introducing division 2’s

i would think he's played an early version of it - knows he cant sell it on social media and face the abuse. I am assuming he gets to see the development of the game all year - we are only 12 weeks from release if its the same as last year so there will be some form of playable version

Or he simply opted for a "normal" job and peace of mind after his roller coaster ride at Konami.
Like someone said on here earlier, if this years game was really good he would’ve stayed for the praise but cos he knows it’s not he doesn’t want to deal with the shit from the extreme hardcore fans, that’s why to me it’s an early sign of another bad year of pes.

They shot themselves in the knee this year. ML was same for years. So why suddenly such backlash? Because AI was worst ever.
People were used to flat ML, because on the pitch it was still decent and playable. Not the case this year.

Why AI was worst ever? Because they focused only on user input gameplay.
What they didnt realise, is that when you dont look after AI the whole think will suffer.

Team mates running into each other, your defenders running away from the ball, selected players being only ones somewhat responsive and reactive to the ball - this is all AI. So when entire online community started screaming they went "oh shit.."

I really hope they learned a lesson, but not holding my breath.

And inviting pesuniverse to E3 for the moment looks more like a buyout, not dugout.
"They managed to unite a lot of content creators and known people in Pes community, so lets throw them some carrots to make sure they are praising and promoting the game"

Hope im wrong, but carrot tactic seems to be main Konami tactics lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom