PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

Great post. Sums up everything perfectly. I especially enjoyed the part about the script being switched on at some point of the match, and the fact, that there is no stopping it. Thats exactly whats happening to me every time on Superstar.

I am, however, naive and optimistic, so Im still hoping that patch will make this game enjoyable. Script is there for god knows how many years, yet we were always able to enjoy it, regardless.

Problem is, this years script is so obvious and in your face, that it makes the game simply - unplayable.

All my best memories of PES come from playing through the Master League, and now that has just been tossed aside - in fact I can't remember them making a single reference to it since the game was released.

Well...

First of all - they have their assignments. Most of the games only refer to online content, as thats where money is. Doesnt matter if its PES, FIFA, Call of Duty or GTA. They always post only about online.

Second of all - its hard to make references to something as Shallow and Empty as Master League. There is, basically, fuck all to refer to. Once you do your transfers, thats it. Its just game after game.
Its sad what happend with this mode. It has so much potential.

This is one of the things where my optimism just doesnt work. I dont believe in some 3 or 5 year plans anymore. Master League will hardly be back to its glory days. I mean - hell, this must be first or second year of their 3 years plan now. And what changed? Nothing! Ah no, wait... we dont have d2's anymore... :LOL:

Once you do your transfers, thats it. Its just game after game.
Its sad what happend with this mode. It has so much potential.
I remember when Seabass had an ultimate dream of taking Master League online so we can all enjoy playing Master League against each other with all the transfers etc.

Konami obviously had different ideas.

anyone witness the cpu attempt a chip shot from way out? i was dispossessed, my gk off his line and the opposition winger was not under pressure so just went for it. very surprising to see. i dont remember ever seeing it in previous pes either

I did a test on release, brought keeper out with ball about 40 yard then give it yo an attacker to see if it would go wide still. It didn't it chipped my keeper

I did a test on release, brought keeper out with ball about 40 yard then give it yo an attacker to see if it would go wide still. It didn't it chipped my keeper
Ah yeah, they do that. Once they have a high probability of scoring they will go for it. Especially on a empty goal. But they never take risks to try to go from distance. If your team and GK are in position they will turn their pass--pass--lob--wing--cross--back_heel--top_corner_tap pattern on

Whilst this game still has its flaws (which will hopefully be sorted next week), I feel this is the best multiplayer football game I have played. Two people in the same room and this game is glorious.

After watching plenty of FIFA 19 CM intensely over the YouTube these past two weeks I can appreciate what PES trying to achieve. In FIFA 0 fouls and bicycle kicks are norm. At least you don't have that in PES.

After watching plenty of FIFA 19 CM intensely over the YouTube these past two weeks I can appreciate what PES trying to achieve. In FIFA 0 fouls and bicycle kicks are norm. At least you don't have that in PES.

Not so much by bicycle kicks but zero fouls definitely.
I’ve had one in last 8 league games

Whilst this game still has its flaws (which will hopefully be sorted next week), I feel this is the best multiplayer football game I have played. Two people in the same room and this game is glorious.
Great if you're 14 years old and have a brother to play with every evening. Or a son to play it against?

But I'm old, have no friends and my son has no interest in PES.

:LOL:
I have a daughter and she wants to play Pes with me. I keep saying "No! Its too difficult"
Truth is - imagine if 4 year old girl battered me... Id have to hang my Pes shoes and walk away...
My son is 6 but doesn’t really like football. My friend (my only friend) popped round last week but didn’t like PES at all. Buts he’s not really a gamer anymore so...I dunno.

I’ve been playing hell of a lot of the other game and there are so many neat little touches on and off the field that I will definitely notice is missing on PES 2019 when I go back to it next week. I am looking forward to starting a new Master League but I can’t help but feel I’ll be bored after a few games.

Master league is: play game, look at league table, play game, look at league table...rinse repeat. There is nothing else to do.

Like, I always sell my third and fourth GK. goal keepers never tire or get injured, so what’s the point in having more than 2?

There’s just no depth in PES and it’s a huge issue for me because gaming has evolved so much since the days when we all obsessively played master league for hours and days on end.

Master league is: play game, look at league table, play game, look at league table...rinse repeat. There is nothing else to do.

Like, I always sell my third and fourth GK. goal keepers never tire or get injured, so what’s the point in having more than 2?

There’s just no depth in PES and it’s a huge issue for me because gaming has evolved so much since the days when we all obsessively played master league for hours and days on end.
I agree to a point.
I mean - apart of arrow form, there is no point having even 2 GK's. :LOL:

Thats why I usually add my own little rules to ML. If arrow is down I consider the player injured and dont use him at all.
Im also big into developing young players. I dont buy anybody who is over 20 and always look for "still developing" players.
Sometimes Im purposely playing players on "wrong" positions slowly letting them get used to it, in order to fit into my "long term" vision.
Also, Im trying to keep at least 5 players from the country I play in to keep the team "native" to a point.

And, obviously, never go for big teams. Always start low. Ideally - team that used to be big, but is not that big anymore (like Parma). Love to bring them back to glory days.

Once the gameplay is interesting and matches are unpredictable I will make it fun for myself.
Arrow forms, different stats on different positions, training players into specific styles - these are things I was really missing in the other game.
So roll on patch and let our imagination and creativeness do the rest! ;)

Last edited:
Man, I swear, if any @$@$!% from Konami looks at me with a straight face and tells me there's no scripting in this piece of shit game....

Shooting in the box is HORRIBLE

Player runs are retarded. Why do my strikers run towards me when I have the ball?

Jesus Christ, this game is garbage.

Not so much by bicycle kicks but zero fouls definitely.
I’ve had one in last 8 league games

All I ever see are those silly 30 yard beamers, where a player flicks it up and does a laser scissors kick that always pinpoints the top bin.

My son who is 8 pulls these off with ease and it is ridiculous.

The various claims about scripting is quite funny. PES players have long asked for more adaptive AI, and that is what we have now. The AI is looking at what you are doing and making adjustments accordingly. For example, you can clearly see that AI will attempt to do things like high pressing if you are always passing from the back. You can even see the changes in the AI's attack/defense level and advanced strategies at the bottom of the screen in response to being behind or ahead.

In practice, this this feels like "scripting", but if you pay attention to small details like how many players is the AI putting behind the ball in defence, how high up the full backs are pushing, how many attacking players are in counter attacking positions, you can exploit this "scripting" to your advantage. The game even tells you on the screen when the AI is changing tactics now, with messages like "Lukaku is being man-marked," for better or worse.

With that said, this game is far from complete and really requires some work for offline single player to be fun at higher difficulty levels. There are some serious issues with player select for full manual passing, and issues with advanced shooting that makes playing at higher levels a chore. The game also needs some improvement in player off the ball positioning or allow you more options to dictate the shape. It is laughable that when you set attacking level to the highest, the game will send a CP into a striking position, but there is no way to push up the defensive line during offense.

Man, I swear, if any @$@$!% from Konami looks at me with a straight face and tells me there's no scripting in this piece of shit game....

Shooting in the box is HORRIBLE

Player runs are retarded. Why do my strikers run towards me when I have the ball?

Jesus Christ, this game is garbage.

i think you are talking about team spirit..?

The various claims about scripting is quite funny. PES players have long asked for more adaptive AI, and that is what we have now. The AI is looking at what you are doing and making adjustments accordingly. For example, you can clearly see that AI will attempt to do things like high pressing if you are always passing from the back. You can even see the changes in the AI's attack/defense level and advanced strategies at the bottom of the screen in response to being behind or ahead.

In practice, this this feels like "scripting", but if you pay attention to small details like how many players is the AI putting behind the ball in defence, how high up the full backs are pushing, how many attacking players are in counter attacking positions, you can exploit this "scripting" to your advantage. The game even tells you on the screen when the AI is changing tactics now, with messages like "Lukaku is being man-marked," for better or worse.

I agree with a lot of this, and especially this year I think they've done a great job with adaptive AI, mainly because they fixed the attack/defense levels so the AI don't just switch from very attacking to very defensive the second they loose the ball. Therefore, as you said, it's possible to punish the AI with quick counter attacks and in general to put much more thought into how you approach matches.

I think, however, that when most people here complain about scripting (against AI) it has to do mainly with 2 things:
1) downgraded ability of the user's players
2) upgraded ability of the AI's players
(or vice versa in fact)

In essence, there is nothing wrong with this approach because it's a way for the game to recreate the highs and lows of a season (if you are playing ML or league mode). Think of a team like Barcelona, that will draw or even loose against a bottom table league team and then win a CL match against a top table league team 3-4 days later, and you can appreciate how sometimes a great team just have bad days and smaller teams sometimes have great days.
I also remember this from classic PES games like 4 and 5 where it would just feel like my players weren't as fast and strong and precise with their passing and shooting as they usually where, and I knew that in those games I had to work a little harder and maybe play a bit more simple and at the same time be more cautious defensively. To win such games reflect the clichés of "champion teams even win games where they played badly" or "a good offense wins games but a good defense wins championships".
In PES 2019 I also find this to be true, and as I said, I think it is a fair approach for a video game to take.

BUT what a lot of people (sometimes myself as well) complain about when talking about scripting is when this approach is overdone/overstated. This is when your team of top players make absolutely ridiculous errors and maybe even more so when an AI team of very poor players make absolutely unrealistic pieces of play with inch perfect passes (read: backheels and low crossed) and shots to the top corner from absurd angels. This will sometimes reach levels that are so far beyond the player's stats that it completely breaks your immersion.

Personally I haven't had much of that so far in PES 2019 but it's probably because I've exclusively played the Danish Superliga (except a few random exhibition games) where pretty much all players are really bad stat wise and then you don't see those extremes. But I'm about to start a Spanish League with Barcelona so I'll probably see just how bad or good it is during that season.

With that said, this game is far from complete and really requires some work for offline single player to be fun at higher difficulty levels. There are some serious issues with player select for full manual passing, and issues with advanced shooting that makes playing at higher levels a chore. The game also needs some improvement in player off the ball positioning or allow you more options to dictate the shape. It is laughable that when you set attacking level to the highest, the game will send a CP into a striking position, but there is no way to push up the defensive line during offense.

I very much agree with you and I had to give up on full manual this year (after playing it exclusively from PES 2016-18) mainly because the game will often select the wrong player as the receiver of my passes. So for me it is PA1 and the occasional L2 manual pass this year.

I also have my issues with advanced shooting (couldn't go with basic shooting because the game often override my input) mainly that most of my high placed shots are floaty. For me it's very hard to apply powerful shots but maybe it's just a learning curve and/or that it is highly contextual with body position and momentum/run up to the ball.

What are your issues with advanced shooting @Srider ?

And if anyone have any tips for advanced shooting please don't hold back:BYE:

A question as well regarding advanced shooting: when making high shots it is very easy to put it well over the bar. Is that mostly because of power bar (holding :square:) or stick direction?
Maybe it's better, when facing the goal straight on, to press the stick almost all the way to one side (left or right) and apply a good amount of power rather than diagonally forward-left or forward-right?

Back
Top Bottom