PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

I agree with a lot of this, and especially this year I think they've done a great job with adaptive AI, mainly because they fixed the attack/defense levels so the AI don't just switch from very attacking to very defensive the second they loose the ball. Therefore, as you said, it's possible to punish the AI with quick counter attacks and in general to put much more thought into how you approach matches.

I think, however, that when most people here complain about scripting (against AI) it has to do mainly with 2 things:
1) downgraded ability of the user's players
2) upgraded ability of the AI's players
(or vice versa in fact)

In essence, there is nothing wrong with this approach because it's a way for the game to recreate the highs and lows of a season (if you are playing ML or league mode). Think of a team like Barcelona, that will draw or even loose against a bottom table league team and then win a CL match against a top table league team 3-4 days later, and you can appreciate how sometimes a great team just have bad days and smaller teams sometimes have great days.
I also remember this from classic PES games like 4 and 5 where it would just feel like my players weren't as fast and strong and precise with their passing and shooting as they usually where, and I knew that in those games I had to work a little harder and maybe play a bit more simple and at the same time be more cautious defensively. To win such games reflect the clichés of "champion teams even win games where they played badly" or "a good offense wins games but a good defense wins championships".
In PES 2019 I also find this to be true, and as I said, I think it is a fair approach for a video game to take.

BUT what a lot of people (sometimes myself as well) complain about when talking about scripting is when this approach is overdone/overstated. This is when your team of top players make absolutely ridiculous errors and maybe even more so when an AI team of very poor players make absolutely unrealistic pieces of play with inch perfect passes (read: backheels and low crossed) and shots to the top corner from absurd angels. This will sometimes reach levels that are so far beyond the player's stats that it completely breaks your immersion.

Personally I haven't had much of that so far in PES 2019 but it's probably because I've exclusively played the Danish Superliga (except a few random exhibition games) where pretty much all players are really bad stat wise and then you don't see those extremes. But I'm about to start a Spanish League with Barcelona so I'll probably see just how bad or good it is during that season.

I very much agree with you and I had to give up on full manual this year (after playing it exclusively from PES 2016-18) mainly because the game will often select the wrong player as the receiver of my passes. So for me it is PA1 and the occasional L2 manual pass this year.

I also have my issues with advanced shooting (couldn't go with basic shooting because the game often override my input) mainly that most of my high placed shots are floaty. For me it's very hard to apply powerful shots but maybe it's just a learning curve and/or that it is highly contextual with body position and momentum/run up to the ball.

What are your issues with advanced shooting @Srider ?

And if anyone have any tips for advanced shooting please don't hold back:BYE:

A question as well regarding advanced shooting: when making high shots it is very easy to put it well over the bar. Is that mostly because of power bar (holding :square:) or stick direction?
Maybe it's better, when facing the goal straight on, to press the stick almost all the way to one side (left or right) and apply a good amount of power rather than diagonally forward-left or forward-right?
I think the two issues about scripting are:
1)What you have already said about stats being ingored/overidden.
2) Many games having illogical final results against the match-flow. It is ok to have a "surprise" match here and there, where the underdog scraps the win, but when over 50% of season games end-up e.g.:1-2 win for cpu and the stats are 17(10) shoots for you, 3(2) for cpu, 0 GK saves for you and 8 for cpu, and the opponenet GK is the MVP of the match then something is not going the SIM way.I repeat when it happens from time to time it is refreshing, when it happens every second match it is a routine.

The various claims about scripting is quite funny. PES players have long asked for more adaptive AI, and that is what we have now. The AI is looking at what you are doing and making adjustments accordingly. For example, you can clearly see that AI will attempt to do things like high pressing if you are always passing from the back. You can even see the changes in the AI's attack/defense level and advanced strategies at the bottom of the screen in response to being behind or ahead.

In practice, this this feels like "scripting", but if you pay attention to small details like how many players is the AI putting behind the ball in defence, how high up the full backs are pushing, how many attacking players are in counter attacking positions, you can exploit this "scripting" to your advantage..
There is nothing wrong with Adaptive AI. Im all for it.
But Adaptive AI is:
- im constantly playing onto my tall CF, so they cut him off by tight marking
- im spamming wings - they cover them better.
- they cant go through the centre, so they are trying wings.
And so on...
Thats Adaptive AI.
When I talk about scripting Im talking about 80th minute mark, where COM team are putting Predator Laser Guides on and start bouncing the ball around like crazy until they finish it off with a top corner tap in.
Its a little bit over the top.

I think the two issues about scripting are:
1)What you have already said about stats being ingored/overidden.
2) Many games having illogical final results against the match-flow. It is ok to have a "surprise" match here and there, where the underdog scraps the win, but when over 50% of season games end-up e.g.:1-2 win for cpu and the stats are 17(10) shoots for you, 3(2) for cpu, 0 GK saves for you and 8 for cpu, and the opponenet GK is the MVP of the match then something is not going the SIM way.I repeat when it happens from time to time it is refreshing, when it happens every second match it is a routine.

Very true, that is also an "evidence" of scripting being too much!
But again, in this year's PES I haven't really had it, probably because I played the Danish league where AI strikers are SO bad that they will actually miss a lot of big chances. So those "surprise" wins have actually been just that for me... so far.

i think you are talking about team spirit..?

No. This is online divisions. Someone also mentioned adaptive AI. Nope.

Playing against random people online and you just know when the computer cripples your team. From point blank, your striker would take the dumbest and weakest shot in the box directly at the keeper or take some unrealistic looking shot that hits the post.

Counter attack, 2 v 2 towards goal, my dumb striker would run towards me when I have the ball or not even run! Even when I tell him to run.

There was one instance where all my striker had to do was tap the ball in but he took 6000 years and the keeper had time to make the save. So frustrating.

What are your issues with advanced shooting @Srider ?

Most of it has to do with how it isn't clear the way this game interprets shoot button timing/aim to determine the shoot animation. I can make the perfect pass into a player open 5 yards in front of goal and buffer the shoot command, but the player will still take an extra touch and miss an open goal when I use advanced shooting. Where as in a similar situation using basic shooting, you can do whatever and get the one touch finish with crazy power. Advance shooting is simply not responsive enough to be useful.

Yeah I see see what you mean, I had some instances of that as well. Thought it was just me and my timing but apparently not...

It is nice, compared to basic though, that you have much greater options of where to place the shot, especially low shots.

I scored this one that I was very pleased with, also because of the dribble before the shot:

d not expect them to list it like that. Not to mention taking care of ALL of them. Thought its gonna be just "some changes to improve gameplay" type of thing.

Hats off. Im trully impresed.

@Chris Davies - i think abuse is a bit too strong of a word there. Twitter - we cant control whats going on there, but in here I dont recall any abuse.

Most of it has to do with how it isn't clear the way this game interprets shoot button timing/aim to determine the shoot animation. I can make the perfect pass into a player open 5 yards in front of goal and buffer the shoot command, but the player will still take an extra touch and miss an open goal when I use advanced shooting. Where as in a similar situation using basic shooting, you can do whatever and get the one touch finish with crazy power. Advance shooting is simply not responsive enough to be useful.
if you do the power up first then the direction once powered up theres no delay at all. I love advanced shooting

Atmosphere should be better in Pes,even though Serie A and South America is portrayed quite well,and the pace of those countries/continents is done well.
I don't know or care how PL is portrayed,couldn't care less,if I'd played a career mode there I'd chose the other game

Atmosphere should be better in Pes,even though Serie A and South America is portrayed quite well,and the pace of those countries/continents is done well.
I don't know or care how PL is portrayed,couldn't care less,if I'd played a career mode there I'd chose the other game
Do you actually see the difference?
So far, due to lack of D2's and this weird AI we have (hopefully not long now), I started ML 5 times already - in Spain, Italy, England, Holland and Germany (Pes Universe OF).
...and all of them felt the same.
Atmosphere on every single stadium, on every single match (home/away), felt the same. Im always surprised when I hear people saying Serie A is so good in Pes. Teams and players - yeah, maybe. But atmosphere? I honestly cant see any difference. And I play with headphones, so I should be noticing atmosphere better..

So far, due to lack of D2's and this weird AI we have (hopefully not long now), I started ML 5 times already - in Spain, Italy, England, Holland and Germany (Pes Universe OF).
Atmosphere on every single stadium, on every single match (home/away), felt the same. Im always surprised when I hear people saying Serie A is so good in Pes. Teams and players - yeah, maybe. But atmosphere? I honestly cant see any difference. And I play with headphones, so I should be noticing atmosphere better..
Playing as Milan so yes I hear a difference from generic chants especially when playing inter/Roma /Lazio etc.
Plus what I like about Pes Vs other games playing Serie A is the pace
Athmospere should be better,no doubt,much better even,but it's good enough for me.
Rather have that than a overpowered atmosphere in stadiums and leagues that you know are silent as a library (trying my best to not compare)

Also play with headphones btw

Playing as Milan so yes I hear a difference from generic chants especially when playing inter/Roma /Lazio etc.
Plus what I like about Pes Vs other games playing Serie A is the pace
Athmospere should be better,no doubt,much better even,but it's good enough for me.
Rather have that than a overpowered atmosphere in stadiums and leagues that you know are silent as a library (trying my best to not compare)

Also play with headphones btw
Could be. Im not saying that there is none.
Playing, (sorry but I have to here) other game, you can hear songs, whistles, even the little touches like ex player being boo'ed every time he touches the ball. Stuff like this is clear and really noticable. In Pes it feels like the same, generic chants on every stadium, every country. Reminds me of International Superstar Soccer, when crowd was going mental when you were passing some point of the pitch. :LOL:

Its not something that I care about, really. Same as faces or stadiums (i skip most of intros or replays).

I would love to have intense, real atmosphere, dont get me wrong. But I dont think they will ever be able to do that without licenses.
Their best option is to expand Edit mode and let people add their own chants as part of Option Files.
Never understood why Pes is not giving more "power" to the people. Community could make this game unbelievable.
...and they would love doing it...

Could be. Im not saying that there is none.
Playing, (sorry but I have to here) other game, you can hear songs, whistles, even the little touches like ex player being boo'ed every time he touches the ball. Stuff like this is clear and really noticable. In Pes it feels like the same, generic chants on every stadium, every country. Reminds me of International Superstar Soccer, when crowd was going mental when you were passing some point of the pitch. :LOL:

Its not something that I care about, really. Same as faces or stadiums (i skip most of intros or replays).

I would love to have intense, real atmosphere, dont get me wrong. But I dont think they will ever be able to do that without licenses.
Their best option is to expand Edit mode and let people add their own chants as part of Option Files.
Never understood why Pes is not giving more "power" to the people. Community could make this game unbelievable.
...and they would love doing it...
The crowd reactions is superb in the other game no doubt,and that's more important than chants,and having booing when former home team players play for the other team is a great touch!
And so are freekicks...
Speaking of intensity etc,can't really play a game without having cards,nasty tackles ,sending offs etc.

I remember having a fully patched Pes 6 with chants,and FIFA commentary.
Happy times

But I think generally,Serie A sounds better on Pes,every other league probably not.
But that's not really any concern of mine
Edit: missed your part on being able to import yourself, absolutely the best way to make the game real.
I don't trust konami or EA to do that

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
I see what you did there!

I'll try focus more on atmosphere, especially when I play in Italy. Could have been just me being drunk or focusing too much on Jimmy Beglin. He has so much wisdom in him! ;) :LOL:
Ha ha, yeah I might be over selling the atmosphere mate.
I never have Begin and co doing my Serie A games,always go for Italian commentaries,adds a bit more.

I had to slip that one in there,and I knew you'd notice the freekick thing:)

For me,just comparing Pes games and no other and freekicks has a big importance.
I couldn't play 18 because of no freekicks,that was the biggest issue for me,chipped through balls etc,not even close,and here's why I can't play a freekick free game.

When being outside the box controlling the ball,you can either shoot,take an extra touch,the defender may get,you,or you might go pass him,or he'll bring you down causing a freekick and/or a card.

Then you have a good chance of scoring,but that's not the important thing,the next time you do the same,you have another chance to go for goal,or draw a 2nd yellow card.
I always try to challenge the players that have already been booked.

Without all those variables and options,football feels pretty stale for me,as Pes 18 felt,and other games^^

Last year,after got tired with script for a while, I tried a simple competition outside ML.
As I had never reached far in ML to get outside Europe, I tried Libertadores with a Brazilian team,I think Chapecoence.Dude the entrance scene had far far better atmosphere than the European games.It had also some pyros/torches/red flares (don’t know the exact word in English) in the crowd stands,it had throwing paper war.Staff I had not seen in pes since pes6.Teally awesome.
Also about chants in ps3 you could import your own mp3 chants but it was removed.
Recently I read an article but unfortunately it was in Greek and the source link was only a news site domain from UK ,from where the author found and translated the article,but didn’t include the original text in English so I could not post it here.The author was questioning KONAMI why do they allow the editing of banners possibility that there is in team edit mode,you know this poor one we have now to edit for cheap banners,because someone in the world created banners that where offending The Pope or sone bullshit political and religious messages etc.Finally the author asked KONAMI to remove the edit banners possibility from game.If this is even 10% true,no question why KONAMI removes these tools from PES.

Last edited:
@Emroth @rockstrongo

Going back to the audio side of things, I usually listen to music whilst playing PES these days. The commentary is too basic to endure for hours on end.

The other game’s atmosphere might be fantastic but I hate Tyler and Smith on comms now, it grates and they’ve had the same lines for years.

@Emroth @rockstrongo

Going back to the audio side of things, I usually listen to music whilst playing PES these days. The commentary is too basic to endure for hours on end.

The other game’s atmosphere might be fantastic but I hate Tyler and Smith on comms now, it grates and they’ve had the same lines for years.
Can't really do them,or any other English speaking comm when playing non English leagues.
Yes and they need to upgrade them for sure.
I've played a few games without commentaries,kinda refreshing,like being up in the stands yourself,minus the C&F words though:)

Last year,after got tired with script for a while, I tried a simple competition outside ML.
As I had never reached far in ML to get outside Europe, I tried Libertadores with a Brazilian team,I think Chapecoence.Dude the entrance scene had far far better atmosphere than the European games.It had also some pyros/torches/red flares (don’t know the exact word in English) in the crowd stands,it had throwing paper war.Staff I had not seen in pes since pes6.Teally awesome.
Also about chants in ps3 you could import your own mp3 chants but it was removed.
Recently I read an article but unfortunately it was in Greek and the source link was only a news site domain from UK ,from where the author found and translated the article,but didn’t include the original text in English so I could not post it here.The author was questioning KONAMI why do they allow the editing of banners possibility that there is in team edit mode,you know this poor one we have now to edit for cheap banners,because someone in the world created banners that where offending The Pope or sone bullshit political and religious messages etc.Finally the author asked KONAMI to remove the edit banners possibility from game.If this is even 10% true,no question why KONAMI removes these tools from PES.
South America is great on Pes
Love pyros (there to) I should really do a Boca or River Plate ML

I've had a ML game hanging for a few days (a week probably) since I know the scripting is insane in this one,I've tried playing it a few times,but ive lost it everything playing it,really pissed off every time seeing my players being idiots.
Played it just now,TS down to 69 for this one,and I really had to fight for a draw.

Every 50/50 ball was the coms way,I misplaced passes all the time,my player switching didn't work as it should.
The CPU at its worst

One thing I found out though,heading when you have an opponent in front of you (goal kicks etc) I win at least 7/10 when pressing sprint button and header at the same time
Much more succes than before

Guys, someone who have PES 2018 and who also have new PES 2019 - answer please - is PES 2019 in times better then PES 2018 in all aspects, especially i am interested in offline modes - league, master league with ai, cup with friend - both for one team vs ai.

Is it worth to buy PES 2018 now or PES 2019 is big step forward in terms of gameplay ?

P.S. Platform is PS4.

Guys, someone who have PES 2018 and who also have new PES 2019 - answer please - is PES 2019 in times better then PES 2018 in all aspects, especially i am interested in offline modes - league, master league with ai, cup with friend - both for one team vs ai.

Is it worth to buy PES 2018 now or PES 2019 is big step forward in terms of gameplay ?

P.S. Platform is PS4.

Depends on the Thursday update, mate. If they manage to fix what they mean to fix, PES 2018 will be no match for this game.

P.S. Platform is PS4.
I put it this way.

I did not like pes18. It was arcade. Overpowered through balls, rocket shots, ping pong passes, no fouls or injuries.

Pes19 fixed everything in that aspect. Animations are insanely realistic, its fluid, there is a lot (comparing to 18) fouls, injuries, physical fight. Stamina matters. Shots are ballanced. It plays beautifully when you have a ball.
They fixed everything...and broke AI in the process...
At the moment its one of the best football games, when you have a ball, and one of the most frustrating when COM has it.
So everything depends on Thursday update, where they are meant to fix that.

Thats if it comes to gameplay.
Outside of the pitch - nothing changed.

To me, personally - if they fix issues - its worth every penny.

What's so annoying about pes is something silly like this.....
They announce Monaco as a partner yet stick half the squad in those fake purple pes boots. Why?

Even with the numerous flaws of 2019 it's a much better game than 2018, in almost every aspect.

I second that, even I also enjoyed 2018 a lot, specially with the latest patches.

PES 2019 does have a better pace, better physics, better weight in players and better animations.
I hope they hold their promise to fix the announced stuff, but I have to say that I enjoy it pre-patch already.

I agree that 2019 is better than 2018 in most aspects, but one thing that really annoys me is player selection in both defense and offense. The amount of times the game selects a totally wrong player and the cursor won't change no matter what I do is too damn high. Hope they address this soon.

Back
Top Bottom