PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

I posted this in the Retro PES thread a couple of weeks ago, but here's my thoughts on online gaming and the Esports trend.
-------
Instant gratification. Doesn't matter if the game is deep and rewarding like PES 5, nobody has the time to master that, they'll get bored and move onto something easier that makes them feel like a master with minimum effort. The skill gap is gone, and with that you get vacant gameplay that immature customers don't question or appreciate either way. That's why these games are on PA3 on default and why they let every player have the potential to play like Neymar. It's the nature of the beast now. Do Devs wanna have integrity or make money?

Unfortunately i have played PES 2019 online, mostly because i wanted to give it a chance and see if really was missing out on this magical online experience with modern football games and it really wasn't worth the drastic increase in blood pressure and stress. And i'm no old man shaking fist at clouds kinda guy but the direction that online gaming has gone in has just toxified gaming communities online.

I miss playing PES 6 online and chatting to strangers over the headset about current football affairs and actually having decent matches because the game was fucking good and wasn't exploitable to the point where you could play it with your eyes shut. Nowadays (most of) the gamers are just poisonous and pathetic. Not only do they exploit these bad game engines by scoring goals straight from kick off and the old FIFA favorite, spamming lofted through balls... Now they have this shameless ethic of winning at all costs. Scoring that aforementioned shitty goal and then time waste for the entirety of the game & employing scumbag tactics to piss off their opponent and goad them into quitting. Ping ponging it around their back line for 80 mins and you stand no chance of intercepting because their on PA3 and the game isn't balanced to punish shit heads for playing like this.

There's literally no sportsmanship or courtesy no more. Winning online and climbing the rankings gains you nothing in the real world, doesn't improve your life in anyway yet people treat what should be a leisurely distraction like a "dog eat dog" battle for survival. It's pathetic, It's ruined online gaming and just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I come away from an online game now just stressed and in a bad mood and more importantly, being an adult; feeling like I've wasted valuable time and this is the direction it's all going in. There's this profound sense of offline shaming on social media and on most gaming forums (usually less sophisticated ones albeit) and most communities and publishers want to make you feel like a dinosaur if you "don't get" online gaming but really they just want you to pump money into it like some vapid cow getting milked by a robot.

I'm not the best PES player in the world, whatever that's supposed to mean i guess but, I'm pretty decent at Football games, i understand how to play them and play them tastefully... I'm decent on PES 2019 too even on manual against the bullshit cheating AI but last time i played online and i really tried to give it a go, I lost 9 games in a row. Fucking NINE GAMES IN A ROW - No draws or dramatic defeats, most of those i didn't even score in.

And that's because this "new" game doesn't respect the fact, that you respect football and want to recreate it faithfully. It may as well be the football version of Street Fighter V and any idiot can mash buttons and recreate the Daigo Parry.

Definitely feel what you are saying. From personal experience PES 18/19 Online/My Club Co-Op are right up there in terms of the worst community of players from all my years of gaming. I’d say 1 out of every ten players I’m joined up with are just awful in terms of team play, graciousness and just being an alright person.

Thing is none of my pals play the game or online co op so I’m stuck playing with randoms.

IF you have slider options and IF the game allows some room for errors in assisted mode, you might get a decent experience. But none of these things apply to PES at the moment. So full manual is the only way to get some variation (and i wouldn´t change it anyway).

I dont think you understand what i meant..

I'm saying that even if you use full manual there is still limitations/assists to make sure your shot or pass is on target

I posted this in the Retro PES thread a couple of weeks ago, but here's my thoughts on online gaming and the Esports trend.
-------
Instant gratification. Doesn't matter if the game is deep and rewarding like PES 5, nobody has the time to master that, they'll get bored and move onto something easier that makes them feel like a master with minimum effort. The skill gap is gone, and with that you get vacant gameplay that immature customers don't question or appreciate either way. That's why these games are on PA3 on default and why they let every player have the potential to play like Neymar. It's the nature of the beast now. Do Devs wanna have integrity or make money?

Unfortunately i have played PES 2019 online, mostly because i wanted to give it a chance and see if really was missing out on this magical online experience with modern football games and it really wasn't worth the drastic increase in blood pressure and stress. And i'm no old man shaking fist at clouds kinda guy but the direction that online gaming has gone in has just toxified gaming communities online.

I miss playing PES 6 online and chatting to strangers over the headset about current football affairs and actually having decent matches because the game was fucking good and wasn't exploitable to the point where you could play it with your eyes shut. Nowadays (most of) the gamers are just poisonous and pathetic. Not only do they exploit these bad game engines by scoring goals straight from kick off and the old FIFA favorite, spamming lofted through balls... Now they have this shameless ethic of winning at all costs. Scoring that aforementioned shitty goal and then time waste for the entirety of the game & employing scumbag tactics to piss off their opponent and goad them into quitting. Ping ponging it around their back line for 80 mins and you stand no chance of intercepting because their on PA3 and the game isn't balanced to punish shit heads for playing like this.

There's literally no sportsmanship or courtesy no more. Winning online and climbing the rankings gains you nothing in the real world, doesn't improve your life in anyway yet people treat what should be a leisurely distraction like a "dog eat dog" battle for survival. It's pathetic, It's ruined online gaming and just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I come away from an online game now just stressed and in a bad mood and more importantly, being an adult; feeling like I've wasted valuable time and this is the direction it's all going in. There's this profound sense of offline shaming on social media and on most gaming forums (usually less sophisticated ones albeit) and most communities and publishers want to make you feel like a dinosaur if you "don't get" online gaming but really they just want you to pump money into it like some vapid cow getting milked by a robot.

I'm not the best PES player in the world, whatever that's supposed to mean i guess but, I'm pretty decent at Football games, i understand how to play them and play them tastefully... I'm decent on PES 2019 too even on manual against the bullshit cheating AI but last time i played online and i really tried to give it a go, I lost 9 games in a row. Fucking NINE GAMES IN A ROW - No draws or dramatic defeats, most of those i didn't even score in.

And that's because this "new" game doesn't respect the fact, that you respect football and want to recreate it faithfully. It may as well be the football version of Street Fighter V and any idiot can mash buttons and recreate the Daigo Parry.

Spot on and well written..I say us Evo-Web regulars all just download and install WE9LE or PES6 on PC, (takes 10-20 mins) then join 1 of the still active online servers and let's play some 1v1 and 2v2 or have a little knockout cup or league. Way more fun and satisfying than PES19 surely?

-------

Good post.

We had a full manual tournament in 2016 on pesfan where all participants agreed not to use the X button to press.

So I come back to my point of how we can make a good game from the tools given.

E.g. in MyClub set some rules : e.g. season start on 1 May 2019; 2 spins per week; squad can have xyz golds/black/silvers/bronze/whites limits; no SIM games; pass assist level ___; etc etc.

you could easily set up one account for unrestricted play and one for evoweb rules ……..

OR if you wanted, the rules themselves could be such that they permit unrestricted play on a single account
e.g. ONLY Lv 1-30 players allowed in starting line up
season week 1 …. whites only
season wk 2....one bronze allowed
season wk 3.... two bronzes allowed
…..etc etc

[If youre not into MyClub then set up a group with custom rules for non-myclub games.]
EXPERIMENT with matchmaking amongst other members here.

In terms of direction the PES ship has sailed - so when you're stuck on the island we can either complain or we can get creative.

Last edited:
started playing full manual with my cousin

it shows how bad pass assist 1 is as the freedom is really enjoyable. however frustrating too as still simple passes go astray. if they could make pass assist 0.5 it would be perfect

gives pes 19 a bit of new life but wont last

Hey all it must be about time for the 'hype train' to start leaving the station?

Stand by for the usual guff about all the 'changes' that aren't er changes and the completely revamped game-play and match-day experience that will be 5 years out of date before they even start.

Then PES 2020 will arrive in the autumn and we won't see anything different from 17, 18, or 19 and some bits will be removed of course just to add to the experience....

I'm all geared up for it, rinse repeat, get shafted, play it for 2 days and then get told that 2021 will be the one...

it shows how bad pass assist 1 is as the freedom is really enjoyable. however frustrating too as still simple passes go astray. if they could make pass assist 0.5 it would be perfect

Still relevant the pre-2014 system with 4 bars of PA , when 2 bars were almost equivalent, but still less assisted of today's PA1.

I've been playing recently on full manual again and i agree it's the best way to enjoy the game, It introduces the attentetivness to your playing you needed on the PS2 that's absent from this due to the ping pong nature of the game. I play on Professional and 20mins to counterbalance the lack of chances and attacks created due to losing the ball, so you don't have to play frantically or feel the need to rush against the clock.

But unfortunately, There's nothing you can do to combat the "CPU's gotta score!" boost the AI gets, especially when you take the lead or equalize, The AI goes into robot ninja mode stringing together ambitious first time passes with the usual low cross into the box, Striker has his back to the ball, swivels like a figure skater and slots it past your floating keeper.

Also, I can't stand those stat pop ups that appear under the scoreboard when you taking a through in at the top of the pitch. So obnoxious, why is there not an option to turn that off?

Hey all it must be about time for the 'hype train' to start leaving the station?

Stand by for the usual guff about all the 'changes' that aren't er changes and the completely revamped game-play and match-day experience that will be 5 years out of date before they even start.

Then PES 2020 will arrive in the autumn and we won't see anything different from 17, 18, or 19 and some bits will be removed of course just to add to the experience....

I'm all geared up for it, rinse repeat, get shafted, play it for 2 days and then get told that 2021 will be the one...
More like a 'ghost train' these days...as they've sucked the soul right out of pes.

astray... yeah sometimes i point the wrong direction too.
what might be helpful for you: short lay off passes by pressing pass button twice (fast/double tap).
its a slower ball than pressing the pass button just for a milli sec.! so this might not help with the direction but at least the ball wich is misdirected isnt traveling too far.
greetz!

Here's what I'd like to know. Why are eSports guys shaping a game that the vast majority don't play as an eSport, but as a football game?

Us offline guys are weirdos and nerds as far as Konami are concerned, and that's fine, we're the minority. But even the majority (who play online) are playing a football game, not playing eSports modes and not playing a game "as" an eSport. They're playing because they want to play football online.

So why are these guys seemingly controlling the development of football games? It's not just PES, it's FIFA too. Because they have huge YouTube numbers? A guy might have 1m followers but there are 100m who play FIFA without giving a shit about what these "pro gamers" want. Why is marketing leading development?

Less than 1% of the world are "pro gamers". The rest of us just want to play a football game, so for God's sake, stop listening to them. All they want is to create a game without randomness or realism, just a totally consistent (despite physics or mentality, e.g. if someone's off-balance or if a player's getting booed by the crowd) bland experience of an arcade game. Fuck that.

What I don't get is why does esports and football realism have to be mutually exclusive? In the perfect world, any player actually trying to play football should be rewarded, in any mode.

The reward system has to shift its focus to realism, for any hopes that we'll see the game we want, if ever.

But then again for so many years of football gaming, none of the games genuinely rewarded the players who try their best embracing a realistic play style. You can certainly do it for your own pleasure, maybe that is rewarding in itself, but the game never truly rewarded you for doing that.

Last edited:
What I don't get is why does esports and football realism have to be mutually exclusive? In the perfect world, any player actually trying to play football should be rewarded, in any mode.

The reward system has to shift its focus to realism, for any hopes that we'll see the game we want, if ever.

But then again for so many years of football gaming, none of the games genuinely rewarded the players who try their best embracing a realistic play style. You can certainly do it for your own pleasure, maybe that is rewarding in itself, but the game never truly rewarded you for doing that.
I'd argue even ISS Pro Evolution Soccer 1&2 on PS1 rewarded actually trying to play football, try and just press constantly and 1-2 constantly on those now and watch what happens, you will get murdered, the game had depth. Perhaps PES1-13 a little too. Ever since then the game has been dumbed down, so it's easier for unskilled players to win, purely to appeal to the masses, lower the skill gap and ultimately all to make more myClub ££££. If they make the game reward good football and require skill then I think they'd lose £ in myClub, so they will never ever do that again, unfortunately, even though we want them to.

Yes but will this ever happen with Konami? It's so frustrating, their game is not even close to real life football. Even this arcadey football that we have is dull and mundane. They need to sort out the action in the final third, the animations for crossing and shooting need a complete overhaul. How hard is it to actually watch a game football (passing, shooting, crossing, jostling for the ball etc) and at least make it look realistic.

Look at 2K19, gameplay aside the animations are on a different level to PES. How long will they get away with putting out a game which is so far behind in every aspect.

What I don't get is why does esports and football realism have to be mutually exclusive?
eSports is its own genre - it's why, in the other game, there's an option to make all players have the same OVR rating in the settings menu. Because it's unacceptable in eSports to have any kind of inconsistency, it's "unfair". Every button-press have to have the same reaction for every player, otherwise it's not an eSport (and you lose $$$ because one guy shoots and scores whereas you shoot and miss).

The proof of this is how many of these "pro gamers" are screaming at EA for "consistency, consistency, consistency" - there is no room for players being off-balance or any kind of simulation of a players' mental strength, giving them boosts (or nerfs) in certain scenarios.

Big eSports games are things like Counter-Strike and PUBG. Everyone starts off the same and there's not a great deal of simulation involved. You could say "in those games you pick up different guns with different strengths/weaknesses, like player attributes", but it's not quite the same level. You can kill someone with any gun, but you can't really score with any player - or at least, you shouldn't be able to, but that's anti-eSports.

Sports games and eSports really don't mix, in my opinion. They're sort of the opposite of each-other...

Don't get me wrong - I'd love it to be different. But "pro gamers" are playing for money and have no interest in a simulation of real players and real football, because otherwise they're going to lose if they play as a rubbish team, and "that's not fair".

To be honest, in stuff like League of Legends the stats of your champions and your items matters beyond words, especially at high levels.. leaving aside the pro scene which is on an entire other level.

With all the flaws it has and the bad I could say about it (and I could go on for hours), I indeed feel more like I'm watching what an e-sport should be the rare times I still watch a game of that, rather than any fifa or pes online tournament. Which most of times looks like Benny Hillesque parodies of football.

But, I do see the point anyway. Ea and Konami do not want people online to replicate real football. They just want to give them the shortest route to have a fun, fast and rewarding experience, to sell packages and so on.

Pretty much all online football games ever have rewarded absolutely shit, ugly tactics that exploit game mechanics over trying to actually play football. Even the much-loved PES5 and 6, the majority of people would pick Inter and blast 100mph shots through your keeper with Adriano, cutback pass (which defenders/keepers didn't react to), 90 degree first time shot cheat (PES6), 35-45m free kick cheat (PES5) etc...

I don't think this is a new mentality to "win at all costs", football games have been full of them as long as I can remember and every game has had enough shit for them to exploit.

These new pay/grind-to-win modes have made things worse though, as people can build entire teams out of "cheese" players that exacerbate that style of play even more. Teams where nearly everyone has 90+ pace, roided Van Dijk/Koulibaly at the back, Messi, Ronaldo and Aubameyang up front etc...

Want to ask a question to the console users about Master league. Are the transfers the same as in the PC. Meaning will top teams sell top players to each other like its going out of fashion. Liverpool sell to City, City to Tottenham, Tottenham to Chelsea or is it more sensible. Also does anyone know a way around this. I've tried seeing which players will transfer, reload the ML and bid for those players but they just transfer other top ones. I can't think of any way to stop it and there are no tools on the PC to do it this year. I haven't played the game for a few months but really wanted to start a ML
In console there is not true solution. It is the ML code for years like this with some better or worse iterations during seasons. The most common I have seen is IE Marcos Alonso changing teams every transfer window and the route is like this Chelsea->Tottenham->Valencia->Bilbao—> Arsenal etc.

How long will they get away with putting out a game which is so far behind in every aspect.

As long as fanboys on Reddit and elsewhere will post stuff like “Oh my godz, PES gives you so much freedomss, you can play the ball wherever you want!!!!” or “FIFA is lolz, PES is a real simulation!!!” and reviewers who barely make it further than playing two exhibition matches give it another 8 of 10 because “what it lacks off the pitch, it more than makes up with brilliant gameplay!”

Truth to be told, though, it’s not half as bad. I scored an absolute cracker of a goal with Dybala yesterday that was so unexpected I almost fell off the couch. After 300+ games I thought I’d seen it all and know all the patterns and possibilities and exploits.

But, no, the game still knows how to surprise you occasionally. Only problem is that the ratio of surprise to predictiveness is about 1 in 20, and it used to be much more even in the good old days.

Konami is kind of its own enemy there, which has probably to do a lot more with a false sense of pride and stubbornness than any pressure from marketing. They should hand the code over to a new office with a fresh perspective.

Just went back to Pes 17 for a game and what initially came to my mind is how good the night games look. You really have that feeling to play at night with the stadium lights on. In Pes 19 night games are really bad I think because you can't even notice that you play at night. Wish they would go back to the 17 look.

Can someone teach me how to do this low-trajectory corner kicks towards the near post but with moderate-fast ball speed?
I can do corner kicks towards the near post but I have to lower the power which makes the ball slow in the air and easy to defend.

I always encounter this type of corner kicks but I can't do them.
TIA

Can someone teach me how to do this low-trajectory corner kicks towards the near post but with moderate-fast ball speed?
I can do corner kicks towards the near post but I have to lower the power which makes the ball slow in the air and easy to defend.

TIA
You have to pull and hold the left stick up and a little bit left/right if you want to add a bit of curve to the ball.
Do this before you kick the ball.And kick it with 60-70% power from the bar.

You have to pull and hold the left stick up and a little bit left/right if you want to add a bit of curve to the ball.
Do this before you kick the ball.And kick it with 60-70% power from the bar.
Thanks!:TU: Tried it and it worked. I didn't know it was that easy.
I'm pretty sure I tried that L-stick(pointing up) with 60-70% power before but the ball is going middle/long and with high trajectory so I haven't tried it that way until now.
Practicing it now, sometimes it still doesn't work. It feels like the L-stick direction isn't recognized at all.

Its unreal to think these pro players dont play on full manual. Probably PA3 as well
It is PA3. I had a discussion with one of the more "promoted/famous" pro players the other day. I asked him what pass support does he use. He confirmed. PA3.

Now.. cant really blame him. Its the way the whole system is set up. Why should he play on PA1 if he will be paired with PA3 people?

Its broken at its core. I told him that, IMO this is killing the game, this is one of the reasons Pes is being dumbed down like it is, stats dont matter etc.
Im sure he himself would feel more satisfied if he beat the opponent on manual. That he would not be beaten by someone who has less skills but faster fingers. Im also sure more people would have watched those tournaments, as it wouldnt just be ping pong fiesta with no skills.

But they just play the game. Its the likes of Konami and EA who never even tried manual tournament out to see if it will attract people. Or brought some strict rules that you cant have higher PA than 1.

So here we are..

TIA
Add "dash" tactics and a bit of supercancel when running at the ball to the intructions you got and your corners will be one deadly weapon!

Ps1. I never point my stick up. I go fully left or right only for curve and do about 60% power.
From bottom right corner (↘️) i usually have right legged players and curve the ball out from the goal.
I aim the ball about a meter or so from the near post, as the spin takes it further away and you dont want to go to far out. With the ball heading away from the GK - they rarely catch it. If they do, try aim a bit further from the post next time.

Ps2. That doesnt work on Pes17. There is a sneaky defender covering near post and he always intercepts the ball. ;)

Last edited:
It is PA3. I had a discussion with one of the more "promoted/famous" pro players the other day. I asked him what pass support does he use. He confirmed. PA3.

Now.. cant really blame him. Its the way the whole system is set up. Why should he play on PA1 if he will be paired with PA3 people?

Its broken at its core. I told him that, IMO this is killing the game, this is one of the reasons Pes is being dumbed down like it is, stats dont matter etc.
Im sure he himself would feel more satisfied if he beat the opponent on manual. That he would not be beaten by someone who has less skills but faster fingers. Im also sure more people would have watched those tournaments, as it wouldnt just be ping pong fiesta with no skills.

But they just play the game. Its the likes of Konami and EA who never even tried manual tournament out to see if it will attract people. Or brought some strict rules that you cant have higher PA than 1.

So here we are..
Would love to see manual pro matches.
I'm sure if these pros are forced to play manual they'll still be good and we'll see a lot more creativity from them.
Right all goals looks the same, there's no wing play and no long shot attempts.

Add "dash" tactics and a bit of supercancel when running at the ball to the intructions you got and your corners will be one deadly weapon!

Ps. That doesnt work on Pes17. There is a sneaky defender covering near post and he always intercepts the ball. ;)
Thanks. I usually don't use super-cancel unless I need to cancel my shot/pass or need to get off the rails when defending but will try that as I need to find new ways to score on corners.
I've been using the same corner kick I do since the release but it's not effective lately.

Back
Top Bottom