PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

I must have played a good 300-400 games online of PES 2019. Probably close to 1000 in PES 2013.. While I loved 2013, I am still getting enough enjoyment out of this years online. Yes it has its exploits that ruin many matches, however, when you get an opponent who wants to play the game properly it really is a joy to behold. It has its annoyances but the right opponent online makes all the difference. Its why my block list only has about 120 slots left, every cheap tactic idiot gets blocked after one game.

If they could just find the balance and do away with the scripting and close off as many of the cheap exploits this game could be glorious every match rather than every 2 or 3 that I currently seem to find.
Isn't the block list have only 100 slots?Are you on console?Maybe it's different there but i don't think so..
I'm on pc and i think it has only 100 slots.Mine is almost full by now and i'm looking which less annoying dick i can remove so the next more annoying dick will have enough space to block him lol.

Most annoying thing for me in Pes 19 is the lack of long range goals. I play online on full manual and the game is pretty decent but I would even go as far to say that shooting is broken. It's simply almost impossible to score from distance. This makes the game way too predictable. It's a decent challenge against a human opponent but it just lacks that surprising feeling. The old games had a lot of this but now it's just like you know exactly how the game will look like and how the goals will look like before the game has even started. So please Konami bring back
scoring from outside of the box for Pes 20! Please !!

Most annoying thing for me in Pes 19 is the lack of long range goals. I play online on full manual and the game is pretty decent but I would even go as far to say that shooting is broken. It's simply almost impossible to score from distance. This makes the game way too predictable. It's a decent challenge against a human opponent but it just lacks that surprising feeling. The old games had a lot of this but now it's just like you know exactly how the game will look like and how the goals will look like before the game has even started. So please Konami bring back
yeah no long range goals and no headed goals either! as i played manual games earlier, press header before ball at me or later and nothing happens, guy doesn't even jump, so that's 2 methods of scoring Konami have taken away.

It's baffling how every year we desperately ask for things as basics as this to come back

It's baffling how every year we desperately ask for things as basics as this to come back

For me it's baffling that there's not much more anger about this. Goals from outside of the box are a huge part of football but I dont see that many people moan about the lack of it in Pes 19. This should be huge and everywhere. It seems like they couldn't get a balance for long range shots with the new rising and dipping shots and that's why they decided to let long range shots completely out of the game.

Off topic, altho related to our recent conversations.
Have a look at this - its my match from yesterday on Pes17. Playing ML with Mallorca. Played against Rayo.

Look at all the different outcomes and variety of shots there.
Its such a breath of fresh air after playing two seasons on 19..

So much more variety in the shooting. Thats whats tottaly missing from pes19 variety of goals. The AI score the same 2 or 3 types of goal against you 90% of the time. For human goals its a lack of long range goals, low shots that actualy go in, headers from corners, deflections, close range tap ins etc.If you add in the lack of Midfield tracking back and the same repetiitve attacks you make its no wonder after a couple of seasons you see through the game and realise its below par.

So much more variety in the shooting. Thats whats tottaly missing from pes19 variety of goals. The AI score the same 2 or 3 types of goal against you 90% of the time. For human goals its a lack of long range goals, low shots that actualy go in, headers from corners, deflections, close range tap ins etc.If you add in the lack of Midfield tracking back and the same repetiitve attacks you make its no wonder after a couple of seasons you see through the game and realise its below par.
AI was limited from the get go and like you said - after few seasons you are simply bored, coz every match feels the same. But human shots were ok(ish) at the start. I had some screamers. It wasnt 17 or 18 types of screamers, but you didnt feel that shooting from distance was a total waste of time. Dont understand why they changed it... instead of trying to save this game and give more variety all around, they are limiting it even more..
This. 100%.
At this stage, in 2019, we should be asking for crazy stuff... like, i dont know, team arguing with referee over a goal, referee consulting VAR and annuling the goal.
This sort of stuff...

Its insane that we are asking for variety of shots, fouls, penalties, or a fucking league table before the match...

And then you look at twitter and all the "suggestions for Pes" accounts and you think - "they had this before, they had this as well. Yup - that too. Oh yea - forgot about that.."
They are honestly going backwards..

Isn't the block list have only 100 slots?Are you on console?Maybe it's different there but i don't think so..
I'm on pc and i think it has only 100 slots.Mine is almost full by now and i'm looking which less annoying dick i can remove so the next more annoying dick will have enough space to block him lol.

Nope I had to add one yesterday. I am down to 134 slots left on my block list apparently. I am on ps4 though so maybe it is different.

My new pet hate is Liverpool and how over rated they are. They are a very good team in real life but it's like they are on steroids in this game. Mo Salah wins every header and gains every rebound and can out sprint 90 plus speed players when he has the ball.. the amount of times I have played Liverpool this year is boring the crap out of me. We desperately need a filter in online divisions as I am fed up playing the usual procession of 5 star sides when I tend to aim for 4 star clubs, new favourite being Istanbul Basaksehir!

i dont know, team arguing with referee over a goal, referee consulting VAR and annuling the goal.
This sort of stuff...

I agree. But this would require a complete reworking of the referee scripts. As it is now, the referee is NEVER wrong (except for stupidly interrupting advantage situations in your half). The offside calls, even though they are often millimeter decisions, are ALWAYS (100%) correct. FIFA (the organization, not the game) would be absolutely delighted with these guys.

Similarly to the robotic precision of the AI, it would require the programmers to implement a level of uncertainty/randomness/error - which is only human.

But I have the feeling, while they could program these variations into the game, they don‘t want to. What they want is the perfect AI; an AI that always does the right thing, right.

At the end of the day, this is the core of the problem because to me, the perfect AI is not the one that plays absolutely flawless but the one that most closely ressembles human behavior.

I agree. But this would require a complete reworking of the referee scripts. As it is now, the referee is NEVER wrong (except for stupidly interrupting advantage situations in your half). The offside calls, even though they are often millimeter decisions, are ALWAYS (100%) correct. FIFA (the organization, not the game) would be absolutely delighted with these guys.

Similarly to the robotic precision of the AI, it would require the programmers to implement a level of uncertainty/randomness/error - which is only human.

But I have the feeling, while they could program these variations into the game, they don‘t want to. What they want is the perfect AI; an AI that always does the right thing, right.

At the end of the day, this is the core of the problem because to me, the perfect AI is not the one that plays absolutely flawless but the one that most closely ressembles human behavior.
Thats why I picked this as an example. In this day and age we should be asking for revolutions, not basics..

Don't hold your breath about more variety in shooting since Konami has no problem promoting "pro"- Pes players who give advice about scoring the same goal over and over again...

Don't hold your breath about more variety in shooting since Konami has no problem promoting "pro"- Pes players who give advice about scoring the same goal over and over again...

Its unreal to think these pro players dont play on full manual. Probably PA3 as well

Just fired up PES 18 MyClub for the memories. Felt like taking my patiently earned England team with Beckham out for a SIM game.

Why is MyCLub the biggest pile of Alx1234? Because when I want to play I get some screen come up telling me I have no scout slots.

Why was MLO so good? When you were ready to play you hit a button and played.

"No scout slots" JUST KILLED ALL MY ENTHUSIASM. I just wanted to SIM a match without hassle. Is that too much to ask???

By the way I have 205 player slots all unlocked from last years campaign. How hard can it be after all that effort I get royally done over by "you have no scout slots"?

PES MyCLub - it breeds pure hate in me and such negativity this early in the morning is not good for me.

(PLease do NOT preorder pes 2020. PLease.)

Edit : lost my sim game 0-1 :MAD:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just fired up PES 18 MyClub for the memories. Felt like taking my patiently earned England team with Beckham out for a SIM game.

Why is MyCLub the biggest pile of Alx1234? Because when I want to play I get some screen come up telling me I have no scout slots.

Why was MLO so good? When you were ready to play you hit a button and played.

"No scout slots" JUST KILLED ALL MY ENTHUSIASM. I just wanted to SIM a match without hassle. Is that too much to ask???

By the way I have 205 player slots all unlocked from last years campaign. How hard can it be after all that effort I get royally done over by "you have no scout slots"?

PES MyCLub - it breeds pure hate in me and such negativity this early in the morning is not good for me.

(PLease do NOT preorder pes 2020. PLease.)

Edit : lost my sim game 0-1 :MAD:

You are right. MLO was so fu***** good although it was really simple. But I remember it was such a challenge to get better players. After like over 100 online games I still had a team with only about 80 rated players. But the feeling when you could afford a better player was so amazing. You could search for talents with the stats you needed and just buy them. Was great to see a talent you "scouted" doing well. It's just so shitty now with that pure luck or real money system. It's just not fun anymore.

You are right. MLO was so fu***** good although it was really simple. But I remember it was such a challenge to get better players. After like over 100 online games I still had a team with only about 80 rated players. But the feeling when you could afford a better player was so amazing. You could search for talents with the stats you needed and just buy them. Was great to see a talent you "scouted" doing well. It's just so shitty now with that pure luck or real money system. It's just not fun anymore.

I loved MLO but the problem was the paint by numbers teams. Everyone had the same bloody team. Same 3 fast strikers, same defenders. It was a miracle when you got to play someone who built a team on something other than pace. I built my team for dribbling and it was great fun but I also limited my choices to players who were owned by less than 200 people (You could see this in 2013) so my team was damn unique. You got some great games in mlo when playing someone with the same squad building methodology, unfortunately if they brought it back next year it would be the same 17 players in every squad and that just kills my enthusiasm. My club isn't perfect by a long shot but at least there is a high probability of playing different squads with different players that you may not see or have a picked yourself. That is the appeal to me, building a squad out of what you get, not just getting what you want.

This whole e-sport trend is most probably the decisive factor in dumbing controls, outcomes and complexity. A leveled playing ground is the gurantee for many participants.

The game (better said: all soccer games) would be unplayable for me without full manual controls, as they ensure organic outcomes in passing and shooting.

This whole e-sport trend is most probably the decisive factor in dumbing controls, outcomes and complexity. A leveled playing ground is the gurantee for many participants.
Here's what I'd like to know. Why are eSports guys shaping a game that the vast majority don't play as an eSport, but as a football game?

Us offline guys are weirdos and nerds as far as Konami are concerned, and that's fine, we're the minority. But even the majority (who play online) are playing a football game, not playing eSports modes and not playing a game "as" an eSport. They're playing because they want to play football online.

So why are these guys seemingly controlling the development of football games? It's not just PES, it's FIFA too. Because they have huge YouTube numbers? A guy might have 1m followers but there are 100m who play FIFA without giving a shit about what these "pro gamers" want. Why is marketing leading development?

Less than 1% of the world are "pro gamers". The rest of us just want to play a football game, so for God's sake, stop listening to them. All they want is to create a game without randomness or realism, just a totally consistent (despite physics or mentality, e.g. if someone's off-balance or if a player's getting booed by the crowd) bland experience of an arcade game. Fuck that.

Here's what I'd like to know. Why are eSports guys shaping a game that the vast majority don't play as an eSport, but as a football game?

Us offline guys are weirdos and nerds as far as Konami are concerned, and that's fine, we're the minority. But even the majority (who play online) are playing a football game, not playing eSports modes and not playing a game "as" an eSport. They're playing because they want to play football online.

So why are these guys seemingly controlling the development of football games? It's not just PES, it's FIFA too. Because they have huge YouTube numbers? A guy might have 1m followers but there are 100m who play FIFA without giving a shit about what these "pro gamers" want. Why is marketing leading development?

Less than 1% of the world are "pro gamers". The rest of us just want to play a football game, so for God's sake, stop listening to them. All they want is to create a game without randomness or realism, just a totally consistent (despite physics or mentality, e.g. if someone's off-balance or if a player's getting booed by the crowd) bland experience of an arcade game. Fuck that.

That might be the most correct thing I have read about football gaming for a long time. Konami need to make a football game, not a graphically updated pong for spammers.

I don´t think it is really about the pro gamers alone, but the mass of general online gamers which want to have "fun" in a world of instant gratification. A learning curve resulting in a loss streak right at the start doesn´t work well on future microtransactions.

Saying that, i appreciate the direction KONAMI was going since PES2018, as the games before were much worse in terms of "easy access" than the last both editions, which played much more measured and physically correct to me (speaking of offline gaming).

It seems to me like KONAMI is trying to push offline gaming into the right direction, but is still failing to combine the variables stats/challenge/realism into a working and entertaining formula of ~ 10 min game time and different difficulty levels. Therefore you see ocassional stats boost and strange CPU behaviour to "force" the game to stay in frame.

Sliders could do so much to give everyone an individual access to the gameplay he prefers.

just wanted to give you an example of the total lack of care for the offline AI element to this years game by konami and how simple it is to improve

on my pc version after growing sick of the AI spamming top corner goals I messed around with the shooting in gameplay files and after a bit of trial and error im now finally seeing the AI shoot in all locations of the goal how in the hell have they not released a simple patch to fix it for console users? i posted some screenshots in this thread of the locations of their shots its not perfect but compared to their default its a godsend

https://www.evo-web.co.uk/threads/new-gameplay-with-dt18_x64-cpk.79372/page-140#post-3373790

The game (better said: all soccer games) would be unplayable for me without full manual controls, as they ensure organic outcomes in passing and shooting.

Not entirely true, I used full auto on FIFA then whacked up passing and shooting accuracy on the sliders and everything was on target.

Mechanics will always play a part.

Not entirely true, I used full auto on FIFA then whacked up passing and shooting accuracy on the sliders and everything was on target.

Mechanics will always play a part.

IF you have slider options and IF the game allows some room for errors in assisted mode, you might get a decent experience. But none of these things apply to PES at the moment. So full manual is the only way to get some variation (and i wouldn´t change it anyway).

Last edited:
I posted this in the Retro PES thread a couple of weeks ago, but here's my thoughts on online gaming and the Esports trend.
-------
Instant gratification. Doesn't matter if the game is deep and rewarding like PES 5, nobody has the time to master that, they'll get bored and move onto something easier that makes them feel like a master with minimum effort. The skill gap is gone, and with that you get vacant gameplay that immature customers don't question or appreciate either way. That's why these games are on PA3 on default and why they let every player have the potential to play like Neymar. It's the nature of the beast now. Do Devs wanna have integrity or make money?

Unfortunately i have played PES 2019 online, mostly because i wanted to give it a chance and see if really was missing out on this magical online experience with modern football games and it really wasn't worth the drastic increase in blood pressure and stress. And i'm no old man shaking fist at clouds kinda guy but the direction that online gaming has gone in has just toxified gaming communities online.

I miss playing PES 6 online and chatting to strangers over the headset about current football affairs and actually having decent matches because the game was fucking good and wasn't exploitable to the point where you could play it with your eyes shut. Nowadays (most of) the gamers are just poisonous and pathetic. Not only do they exploit these bad game engines by scoring goals straight from kick off and the old FIFA favorite, spamming lofted through balls... Now they have this shameless ethic of winning at all costs. Scoring that aforementioned shitty goal and then time waste for the entirety of the game & employing scumbag tactics to piss off their opponent and goad them into quitting. Ping ponging it around their back line for 80 mins and you stand no chance of intercepting because their on PA3 and the game isn't balanced to punish shit heads for playing like this.

There's literally no sportsmanship or courtesy no more. Winning online and climbing the rankings gains you nothing in the real world, doesn't improve your life in anyway yet people treat what should be a leisurely distraction like a "dog eat dog" battle for survival. It's pathetic, It's ruined online gaming and just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

I come away from an online game now just stressed and in a bad mood and more importantly, being an adult; feeling like I've wasted valuable time and this is the direction it's all going in. There's this profound sense of offline shaming on social media and on most gaming forums (usually less sophisticated ones albeit) and most communities and publishers want to make you feel like a dinosaur if you "don't get" online gaming but really they just want you to pump money into it like some vapid cow getting milked by a robot.

I'm not the best PES player in the world, whatever that's supposed to mean i guess but, I'm pretty decent at Football games, i understand how to play them and play them tastefully... I'm decent on PES 2019 too even on manual against the bullshit cheating AI but last time i played online and i really tried to give it a go, I lost 9 games in a row. Fucking NINE GAMES IN A ROW - No draws or dramatic defeats, most of those i didn't even score in.

And that's because this "new" game doesn't respect the fact, that you respect football and want to recreate it faithfully. It may as well be the football version of Street Fighter V and any idiot can mash buttons and recreate the Daigo Parry.

And that's because this "new" game doesn't respect the fact, that you respect football and want to recreate it faithfully.

100% agree.

Too much stupid exploits. Following basic football logic it is not a way to play online.
PA3, one-two pass, triangle, then L2 shoot. It is all you need for online.

Back
Top Bottom