PES 2019 Discussion Thread (PS4, XB1)

I'm skipping PES 2020, and football games entirely unless either developer performs miracles.

Although it can have it's occasional good moments, this PES is so incredibly linear and scripted in terms of gameplay, and the game mode balance/design is just laughable. ML/BaL hardly need any explanation of how shitty and bare-bones they are; just play them for half a season...

Online modes... MyClub is the typical modern lootbox bullshit mode, but it's even more fucked than FUT because literally everyone has teams full of 90+ rated steroid-fuelled monsters... You might ask why I care, why not just not play it? Well... Online co-op mode (which I do play) lets these fuckers play against your normal rated real life team, which ends up being 99% of matches...

Even the one thing that was bringing me back to this game time and time again, ball physics, I've just grown tired of... For all the praise this aspect gets, it's so fucking basic/on-rails, shooting and passing, even on manual. There are like 3 or 4 ball spins/speeds/trajectories and the script just chooses one based on player traits and the angle/animation. After playing for long enough this just becomes so repetitive. The physics may look "realistic", but there's nothing dynamic about them based on many variables that can produce something unique and unexpected, except for the occasional spin on a deflected ball. Any time the ball is deliberately kicked/headed or even saved, you get the same old ball trajectories you have seen thousands of times.

On top of that, they have linked the ball "physics" directly to the player traits. The "weighted pass" trait means that any long ball that player strikes will be a slow, useless, floaty pass with zero incisiveness which means the recipient has to contest it in the air... AND THEY GIVE THIS TO 99% OF DECENT PLAYMAKERS.

Look at this manual pass with Bernardo Silva (doesn't have that trait);

(click for HD)

You CANNOT play this kind of ball with De Bruyne, D.Silva or Fernandinho because they have "weighted pass", which is supposed to be a positive/helpful trait... It's fucking not. At all.

Same goes for the "rising shot". I haven't seen a single one scored during my hundreds of games. All they do is keep the ball at an easier height for the keeper for longer. "Dipping shot" is a player trait as well, but triggers very rarely and it's kind of ridiculous that these are decided by a "trait" at all. Sunday League players can hit dipping or rising shots... This should be dynamic based on the incoming ball, run-up etc.

Just fed up with this and can't see myself playing much more of it this year, or being convinced by their next offering.

Great post. Your description of it all is spot on. Im about done with ML now until they patch it. Not even starting a new one is the SPL with my team is tempting me. I dont want that experience soured by the OTT scripting and lack of any individuality of teams /players.
For the ball physics being amazing, theres a lack of deflected shots that go in or make the keeper react differently or go wide. A lack of close in tap in goals(never seen one) lack of anyone going round the goalkeeper.

you could have tried using L1 modifier with high cross! makes the ball go faster and mid high! but i guess you are not playing this anymore...!
take care man! you might still hang around here (i hope)! ;)
I've tried that before and it can help sometimes, but often screws up the player switching so it's not worth risking in online play...

It's the whole scripted ball physics that I'm just bored with now. Feel like I've seen pretty much everything this game has to offer...

Long shots are boring - never see a unique or memorable strike. Always the same perfectly hit rockets which the keepers save 99% of with horrible animations.

The only fun has been in putting together nice moves in co-op, but nearly all of the goals end up looking the same for the final pass and shot (the gif I posted being an exception).

It feels more like a chore than a game. Playing it just for the sake of it because it's a football game and I play football games... Nah, I'll just stick to Rocket League from now on for a "football" fix unless EA/Konami do something special.

I've tried that before and it can help sometimes, but often screws up the player switching so it's not worth risking in online play...

It's the whole scripted ball physics that I'm just bored with now. Feel like I've seen pretty much everything this game has to offer...

Long shots are boring - never see a unique or memorable strike. Always the same perfectly hit rockets which the keepers save 99% of with horrible animations.

The only fun has been in putting together nice moves in co-op, but nearly all of the goals end up looking the same for the final pass and shot (the gif I posted being an exception).

It feels more like a chore than a game. Playing it just for the sake of it because it's a football game and I play football games... Nah, I'll just stick to Rocket League from now on for a "football" fix unless EA/Konami do something special.
Its a very controvertial thing to be giving out about Pes ball physics. But I know exactly what you mean and have to agree. The way ball is glued to the players and linked to all the animations. The way almost every pass and long shot looks the same. And what makes it even worse - all have, almost every time, same outcome.

Since you pointed out, that you dont see keepers parrying the ball in various ways, I thought about it and I honestly dont remember one goal scored from rebound and tap in. They always parry it for a corner.

It almost looks like by giving players more freedom and animations - they limited and trapped the ball.

Only this morning I had a discusion how free the ball in Pes17 feels. How it can be snatched at any stage, how it bounces of players, how you can have a fantastic screamer from outside the box, or a complete, utter flop. I dont remember any flops in Pes19, where they would miss the ball or the ball would just bounced of their legs. It really feels like they took proper step back in anything but the graphics and animations.

Dont know, maybe they went overboard with pretty looks and couldnt tame the ball? Maybe they were forced to dumb down AI and cable tie the ball to players legs?

Whatever happend, I hope pes20 will not continue the same path and I hope they left graphics alone this time and focused on how to put it all together.

started a fresh Newcastle ML last night. played like 3 matches. its so freaking different to the exibition matches i usually play. but i like the direct controls! :)
i wanted to play this ML to compare it to the one i'm playing with the other game! TS really is a bummer! ^^
replayed that one ML match against Liverpool (lost 5:0) in exhib. and what can i say... much better in terms of flow and score (2:1). i just cant play without the opponent having the @Matt10 line height fix applied too! Only applying this to my team doesnt do it a 100% for me. i like the compactness that small fix creates when it’s set up for both teams.
so i guess ill not go on with the ML season but the carreer over at EA's! will keep playing exhib. matches in PES for now (might grab pen and paper and simulate the league)! is there a good website to create leagues and tables easily (instead of using pen'n'paper) without huge registration process and such!?

Last edited:
started a fresh Newcastle ML last night. played like 3 matches. its so freaking different to the exibition matches i usually play. but i like the direct controls! :)
i wanted to play this ML to compare it to the one i'm playing with the other game! TS really is a bummer! ^^

You should hang in there, PRO, as you know, first half of season is utter shite, but once the second half starts and you bought some decent new players that get settled you keep raking in the points. Sooner or later TS also doesn't matter that much anymore. That said, Newcastle might be a bit of a tall order...

That is a shame , of all the compaints I have read at least it seems that the gameplay is the one part which is considered decent.
Well... make sure to drop by after a while and share your thoughts. Fresh point of view is always interesting to read.

God, my newest rage trigger is when the AI does the butt-sticking-shielding-and-then-duck-out-with-the-ball-animation. They are so good in it, all of them, and they NEVER give the ball away.

What is yours?

God, my newest rage trigger is when the AI does the butt-sticking-shielding-and-then-duck-out-with-the-ball-animation. They are so good in it, all of them, and they NEVER give the ball away.

What is yours?
Probably complete imbalance between AI response and our response.

- ball in the air from a corner, you position yourself, ball goes straight at you, you press button to clear it, nothing. Out of nowhere flies AI - header - goal.

- pass into the box, you jockeying, ball goes straight at you, you press clear - AI scores, sticking his leg through your players anus

And the fouls. Ball in the air, you're in position, out of nowhere AI bashes into your player breaking seven of his ribbs, foul for them.

Last edited:
Many people are mentioning PES 2013 as one of the greats - even though it was good, does everyone remember the glitch with the killer through-ball to C. Ronaldo?

Kick off, pass back to first midfielder, through ball it to Ronaldo, goal.

Every time.

It was infuriatingly unstoppable, which ruined the game, especially online unfortunately.

replayed that one ML match against Liverpool (lost 5:0) in exhib. and what can i say... much better in terms of flow and score (2:1). i just cant play without the opponent having the @Matt10 line height fix applied too! Only applying this to my team doesnt do it a 100% for me. i like the compactness that small fix creates when it’s set up for both teams.
so i guess ill not go on with the ML season but the carreer over at EA's! will keep playing exhib. matches in PES for now (might grab pen and paper and simulate the league)! is there a good website to create leagues and tables easily (instead of using pen'n'paper) without huge registration process and such!?

Isnt there an option for just playing a League not Master League.
TS is just strange. I feel i had better games when it was down in the 60s compared to my season 3 of ML where its about 95 average. You just seem to get cheated by the AI more when it gets to that level. Strange strange thing, or is it just the fact i have hit a scripting period in my season?

Its been a while I dont play this game, so today I was give the game a go just to chill.

Playing as a Barça against Lyon on SS.Theres same fella called Cornet. He scores at will man! Swear to god that Ive played 3 games, they have about 8 or 9 chances on all this marches and scored 7 goals.

4-0, 2-0 and 1-0.

All matches my players feels like low rated players. Coutinho, Messi, Raktic all missing passes and shooting very very poorly. On other hand CPU zips passes all around the pitch like they were Barcelona.

Cant push attackers off the ball, cant win a single header on midfield.

They are using low cross to backheel inside the area all over again. The game are playing like at the launch day if you now what I mean.

What happend to the game? It was good a weeks ago...

You just seem to get cheated by the AI more when it gets to that level. Strange strange thing, or is it just the fact i have hit a scripting period in my season?
Intetesting question. Time when I had my best period of matches was indeed when my TS was 60-80. Third season I hit 95-98 and thats when game finally managed to destroy me.

Maybe there is some sort of a ultra-crazy AI script that kicks in later, to counter your high TS and (most likely) strong, developed team at this stage.

Having said that, I personally cant play just league. I like when players grow and develop. Its one of my main drives to build a team for the future.

It was infuriatingly unstoppable, which ruined the game, especially online unfortunately

Unfortunately online gaming was and always will be like that. There is a lot of idiots there, who will always try to exploit the game. They dont care about good matches, they just want results.

Thats one of the main reasons I dont go online. I dont want to play against people who have 4 strikers and 3 AMFs. Thats not football. Then once they figure out way to score, they will use just that till it kills you.

Even yesterday official pes posted some "pro" player who was giving "tips" how to become better player. One of his tips was "find a spot from where you will always score". How is that supposed to make you better player?? I was fucking fuming.

In here I got so many tips, learned how to play on Manual, how to cross the ball few different ways, how to use advanced tactics, supercancel and so much more. These are the things that will make you better!
Not some gobshite, who plays on Pass Assist 3 and scores from one spot on the pitch. And these clowns promoting him on their official page..

Isnt there an option for just playing a League not Master League.
TS is just strange. I feel i had better games when it was down in the 60s compared to my season 3 of ML where its about 95 average. You just seem to get cheated by the AI more when it gets to that level. Strange strange thing, or is it just the fact i have hit a scripting period in my season?
yeah. but regular league mode lacks some ML features i wanted to use. anyways... its not that bad right now.
i still can play the other game or play my exhib. matches. :)

i played pes 13 online 1000 games

this pes maybe 36 games

its broken

I must have played a good 300-400 games online of PES 2019. Probably close to 1000 in PES 2013.. While I loved 2013, I am still getting enough enjoyment out of this years online. Yes it has its exploits that ruin many matches, however, when you get an opponent who wants to play the game properly it really is a joy to behold. It has its annoyances but the right opponent online makes all the difference. Its why my block list only has about 120 slots left, every cheap tactic idiot gets blocked after one game.

If they could just find the balance and do away with the scripting and close off as many of the cheap exploits this game could be glorious every match rather than every 2 or 3 that I currently seem to find.

Unfortunately online gaming was and always will be like that. There is a lot of idiots there, who will always try to exploit the game. They dont care about good matches, they just want results.

Thats one of the main reasons I dont go online. I dont want to play against people who have 4 strikers and 3 AMFs. Thats not football. Then once they figure out way to score, they will use just that till it kills you.

Even yesterday official pes posted some "pro" player who was giving "tips" how to become better player. One of his tips was "find a spot from where you will always score". How is that supposed to make you better player?? I was fucking fuming.

In here I got so many tips, learned how to play on Manual, how to cross the ball few different ways, how to use advanced tactics, supercancel and so much more. These are the things that will make you better!
Not some gobshite, who plays on Pass Assist 3 and scores from one spot on the pitch. And these clowns promoting him on their official page..

And here is everything wrong with PES online this year. I would actually be in favour of them adding a lot more formations into the online modes but locking them entirely so you can't move players about to exploit the game. As for these "pro" players who spam PA3 ping pong rubbish, they shouldn't be given any credibility by anyone. Konami should be looking at their streams and videos and thinking to themselves, that isn't anything approaching football, why are we rewarding that?

Konami should be looking at their streams and videos and thinking to themselves, that isn't anything approaching football, why are we rewarding that?
Unfortunately, the answer is
"Coz he is a so called "pro" player, who has XX amount of followers, paid us already equivalent of 100 full price games in coins and he is promoting our online gambling"

We dont stand a chance here until they clamp microtransactions.

That is a shame , of all the compaints I have read at least it seems that the gameplay is the one part which is considered decent.

If you are going to be playing against the ai (unless Baldrick is available:))) the game becomes quite repetitive pretty quickly. It's just that every game/team/player feels quite similar which is very un-pes like. Let alone some of the game play shortcomings and scripting. This game is the best looking/moving, but the dullest/stats limited/shallow pes ever for me.

I don't get much time to play PES19 thesedays and I'm getting a bit frustrated with the AI in this game. When they get the ball, they sometimes take up to 3 passes before they score. This is just wasting my precious time and I think Konami need to patch it so that as soon as any AI player touches the ball, no matter where on the pitch, they shoot and score. That way, I immediately get back possession of the ball from the resultant kick-off and can get back to the excitement of watching all of my shots hit the post.

Can I propose something to you guys who still want to love PES?

its something that I went on about a lot on pesfan for 2-3 years but the idea was ignored and the banter took over.

We know that :
1) PES 2019 is undergoing patches through the year
2) PES 2018 has had patches completed at this stage

So why do we not start PES 2019 when PES 2020 releases?

Even MyClub can become a fun mode if we put out some custom rules.

Patches will be done with (so no to-ing and fro-ing about how bad or good the game is). With a good bunch of people, matchmaking can be more organised (especially easy with manual filters)

I just get the feeling we may be missing an opportunity every year because most folks move to the next iteration of PES. We should be taking advantage of the 2 year online servers.

Off topic, altho related to our recent conversations.
Have a look at this - its my match from yesterday on Pes17. Playing ML with Mallorca. Played against Rayo.

Look at all the different outcomes and variety of shots there.
Its such a breath of fresh air after playing two seasons on 19..

Off topic, altho related to our recent conversations.
Have a look at this - its my match from yesterday on Pes17. Playing ML with Mallorca. Played against Rayo.

Look at all the different outcomes and variety of shots there.
Its such a breath of fresh air after playing two seasons on 19..

Brilliant, variety in every clip!

Loaded up PES19 and a guy scores against me by playing a perfectly powered and accurate low through ball past my defenders and to the feet of his striker. The perfect through ball was played on the spot whilst his player was facing his OWN GOAL by doing an instant 360 degree pass which should break his leg. So I immediately turned the game off. PES19 has been designed to play like it does, it's not an accident.
So, instead I install PES13 and 6, PES13 Messi etc are dribbling at me non-stop and on 6, Barca play like Barca, you notice best and fast players and in the first few minutes Valdes comes out, realistically missed the ball and fouls me, straight red and pen. None of these things happen on 19.

Loaded up PES19 and a guy scores against me by playing a perfectly powered and accurate low through ball past my defenders and to the feet of his striker. The perfect through ball was played on the spot whilst his player was facing his OWN GOAL by doing an instant 360 degree pass which should break his leg. So I immediately turned the game off. PES19 has been designed to play like it does, it's not an accident.
So, instead I install PES13 and 6, PES13 Messi etc are dribbling at me non-stop and on 6, Barca play like Barca, you notice best and fast players and in the first few minutes Valdes comes out, realistically missed the ball and fouls me, straight red and pen. None of these things happen on 19.

Agreed. The essence of the game has been completely lost.

The fun factor/anything can happen feel has gone over the years. I'd say it died with PES17.

Back
Top Bottom